Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yeah not like that. You want to wrap it around basically like I have shown in my drawing.

I actually cut out a section of belt and make a loop by drilling two holes and putting a bolt and washers through so it slips over the crank pulley. then I leave the rest of the belt just long enough to wrap around the two cam gears and then back under them. We're pulling a motor for a rebuild tomorrow so I can take some pictures. Another blue legacy gt wagon coincidentally.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

We're pulling a motor for a rebuild tomorrow so I can take some pictures. Another blue legacy gt wagon coincidentally.

I think they're cursed. ABP or the dark one? I love the darker color.
Tell him to put in an LSD.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
So a few weeks ago it was time for a tranny oil change. On my last drive before the change I was on the highway at around 80ish in fifth gear. I let out the throttle to stop accelerating and the gear slipped out with out me knowing. When I pressed on the throttle again the RPMs started to rise, so I looked down and a saw that the car wasn't in gear. I rev matched and tried to shift back into fifth but all I got was a horrible grind. So I shifted to fourth and kept going. A little while later I shifted into fifth and everything was fine. So I did the oil change, and I put in Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, as the guy before me used a mix of RL Shockproof and something else, so It would be to drastic a change. When I was wiping off the magnet on the plug bolt it had these wonderful shavings on it:

I have no idea where these came from so I'm kinda asking for some help here. The bit on the upper right is actually black rubber that I can squeeze with my fingernails and not pictured is a little red/orange that was tiny and could fit inside one of the bends of the shaving on the lower left. The were no other noticeable shavings/filings present not even on the paper towel that I used to wipe the plug clean.

I drove fine for a few days but then it came back. I have a video here of the shifter walking back and forth with the throttle, forward when I let off the gas and back when I press a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0SBZSiSFHA

My dad said that he doesn't think those are from a gear but maybe from a bearing. I did some research I read online that it might be the fork, or the ball bearing that keeps the gear from backing out, or a loose nut, or the bushing, and I really hope that I don't need a rebuild.

The car has 111,xxx miles on it, it's Cobb stage 2 with a downpipe and and an exhaust, and a short throw shifter. And in the two years that I owned it I haven't been beating on it too much. Just some pulls from second or third gear, and I hardly ever launched. Also, I have absolutely no problems with any other gears at all.

Thanks for any input and sorry for the dissertation.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I used a strap wrench around the pulleys to get them off. The strap piece fits between the the two pulleys with a little effort.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-strap-wrench-set-94119.html

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

I think they're cursed. ABP or the dark one? I love the darker color.
Tell him to put in an LSD.

I blew up a dark blue LGT in december. They're all cursed. Still miss that car :(

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Lowclock posted:

Impact gun or rope trick.
Believe it or not, a 450 ft/lb-rated impact would not budge these, though I did have to use a U-joint just to get it to fit in there (doing this with engine in-car). I had to use this with a 5-foot piece of pipe on it to break the first one loose. These are on tight.

Jamal, pics would be awesome. In the meantime I'm going to pick up the set of strap wrenches daslog mentioned above and give it a shot with those. I'll let you know how that works out.

I'm also interested in a spare EJ25D (car is a 97 Legacy Outback) cam sprocket if you happen to have any lying around the shop. I need the upper right-hand one, the top one of the two you have circled in your picture. I'll pay whatever you ask, because it'll be cheaper than going to the dealership regardless.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Anyone have a spare TMIC for a Legacy GT or 08+ WRX burning a hole in their pocket? Found a leak in mine yesterday. JB Welded it to buy some time, but I'd like to replace it sooner rather than later.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Jared592 posted:

Believe it or not, a 450 ft/lb-rated impact would not budge these, though I did have to use a U-joint just to get it to fit in there (doing this with engine in-car). I had to use this with a 5-foot piece of pipe on it to break the first one loose. These are on tight.

Jamal, pics would be awesome. In the meantime I'm going to pick up the set of strap wrenches daslog mentioned above and give it a shot with those. I'll let you know how that works out.

I'm also interested in a spare EJ25D (car is a 97 Legacy Outback) cam sprocket if you happen to have any lying around the shop. I need the upper right-hand one, the top one of the two you have circled in your picture. I'll pay whatever you ask, because it'll be cheaper than going to the dealership regardless.

part number is 13044AA020 and from subarugenuineparts.com it's $80. Our machine shop might have some around and we've got to drop stuff off today so I'll check. passenger intake, right?

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
I've been having a persistent misfire/hesitation occuring at low load around 2700 RPM (gets much worse when the A/C is on, to the point where shifts that end up at this RPM are rather rough). The misfire is not severe enough to trigger a code for some reason, despite being audible in neutral if I keep the revs between 2500 and 3000. I logged for a while to see what was up, and it looks like cylinder 3 in particular is misfiring. I had been told by a shop in the past that it was likely a coil problem, and replaced the coil, but the problem is starting up again.

I also have a loud, high-pitched whistling that's coming from the area of the right side of the intercooler (perspective being when I'm standing in front with the hood up). However, the whistling only seems to happen after the BPV vents, which makes me think it must be the BPV gasket. Does this seem correct? Is it likely just exacerbating the cylinder 3 misfire, or does it seem more likely to be the cause of the misfire? And, how difficult is it to replace the BPV gasket yourself? It doesn't look too difficult to get to...

Edit: some car info would probably be helpful. It's a 2009 STi, and the BPV has been crushed (I might just replace it with an aftermarket BPV if anyone has recommendations).

BobTheFerret fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 7, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

coilpacks hardly ever go bad on these things. is it modified to the point you can't bring it to the dealer? stock injectors?

It does also sound like the BPV is leaking which is easy to fix. The are two bolts, just don't cross thread them into the soft aluminum intercooler (I see it happen a lot).

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2011

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

coilpacks hardly ever go bad on these things. is it modified to the point you can't bring it to the dealer? stock injectors?

It does also sound like the BPV is leaking which is easy to fix. The are two bolts, just don't cross thread them into the soft aluminum intercooler (I see it happen a lot).

While you're at it, swap that BPV for a BOV like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mrQmQ_W8E&t=20s

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

clearly you need an hks ssqv

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
http://www.scoobymods.com/mod-transfer-case-removal-5th-t6049.html?t=6049

Well I found that after some more searching. I hope this is it, and that I didn't wait too long to fix it.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

Amandyke posted:

While you're at it, swap that BPV for a BOV like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mrQmQ_W8E&t=20s

I've heard of the duck call BOV before, and it's hilarious. I'm going to go back to stock soon - the mechanics at the dealer near me have basically told me that the bits that have broken that I've had to fix in the past are definitely under warranty, and that they'd be happy to do warranty work on it, but they don't feel comfortable working on cars that have been "heavily modified" (read: more than an intake and a catback).

Jamal posted:

clearly you need an hks ssqv

Non-stock injectors (1000CC), intake, electronic boost controller, TGV deletes, up-pipe, external wastegate, downpipe. Stock catback. I went a little crazy with the modifications trying to prepare for a bigger turbo in the future, which was fun, until things started to break. Wouldn't be a problem if I weren't in the middle of nowhere, with no access to a garage...

I feel pretty ridiculous sometimes with how loud the unsilenced intake and bypass valve venting sound are as it is. The EWG was my alternative to a much louder catback, since the car sounds downright quiet cruising around town. Honestly, I'd like the car to stay quiet, as well as be quite a bit faster than stock, but that doesn't really seem to be something that's catered to.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ok you have a bad injector, leak at the tgv delete, or a cracked ringland.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

jamal posted:

part number is 13044AA020 and from subarugenuineparts.com it's $80. Our machine shop might have some around and we've got to drop stuff off today so I'll check. passenger intake, right?
yep, passenger intake, thanks

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vreUlIu3-x4&feature=youtu.be

How much stupidity can you see in this video?

Sometimes, I hate being a subaru owner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vreUlIu3-x4&feature=youtu.be

How much stupidity can you see in this video?

Sometimes, I hate being a subaru owner.
Of course it has to be an RHD.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
That whole video is painful. No helmets, spectators hanging over a barrier on the outside of a turn, PEOPLE STOPPING ON THE TRACK AND GETTING OUT OF THEIR CARS!??!?!

What a horrible organization, whoever ran that...

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

While I know it's a youtube comment, it pretty much summed up my thoughts

quote:

..."I caught that whole thing!"...and the car hasn't even finished coming to a stop. Got to love this YouTube generation!..

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is that even an actual racetrack? No track would allow that.
Google indicates that the track is currently not in operation, so maybe they snuck on?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

That whole video is painful. No helmets, spectators hanging over a barrier on the outside of a turn, PEOPLE STOPPING ON THE TRACK AND GETTING OUT OF THEIR CARS!??!?!

What a horrible organization, whoever ran that...
I'm guessing the "no helmets" is because it appears to be a parade lap. That said, I know any event insurance details I've ever seen mandate helmets for everything when you're inside the car, and no event I've ever been to would let you get out of the car and block the track.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I just notice the red honda put on its 4-ways. That'll help.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Oh LegacyGT.com...

quote:

Sorry for the delay. Anywho new intercooler is $4k, so this one being in very good condition, let's say $1k or so. Complete air filter housing is $760, so let's say $200 or so; again in very good condition. Engine cover is $800 () let's say $250 or so. Radiator brace is over $200, I forgot exactly how much, but $100 should do it. You pay shipping on the intercooler, I'll pay shipping on the rest. Not trying to rob anybody, just hate to see almost new parts go to waste. Thanks.

welp.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oh LegacyGT.com...

welp.

ffffffffffffffff Looks like he fixed it though. Sure hope he never buys anything from that dealer...

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Holy gently caress, it gets better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPpdN-8zC9U&feature=player_embedded

Where is track safety, track officials, event officials, ambulance, tow? Who the gently caress are all these random "bros" on the track.

Evidently this was a http://cscs.ca/ Event?

Goddamn.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oh LegacyGT.com...

welp.
haha, out of curiosity I looked it up- list price on an intercooler is 359.96. On sgp they're 307.40.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nm posted:

I just notice the red honda put on its 4-ways. That'll help.

I personally like the fat chick getting out of the passenger seat that runs like Forrest Gump

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
After my '09 Impreza 2.5i has sat parked for a long while - defined as definitely after parking overnight, but not after even an hour at a store - when I first start rolling forwards I hear some sort of noise that sounds like it's coming from the front end.

So essentially I'll start the car, release the parking brake, pop it into reverse, back up, then stop, shift to first, and start moving and after a moment, maybe after the first full rotation of the wheels(approximately?) there's a single sort of thunk and after that things are fine.

No more noises follow, and I don't hear it again during any shifting, any stop/start traffic, etc - it's only after it's been sitting for an extended period.

Any ideas what this might be before I leave it with the dealership overnight so they can hunt it down?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Do you live in a salt state and/or does this happen only after rain or snow?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

nm posted:

Do you live in a salt state and/or does this happen only after rain or snow?

I live in Colorado and information is conflicting, but points towards no salt, instead prefering sand and/or MgCl.
Though this does appear to happen after any parking more than a few hours, regardless of recent precipitation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Nice Subaru service manager reloaed the ECU of the WRX last night - and the mysterious issue turned out to be a Denso programming issue in the ECU that allows the voltages to be interpeted as a fault.

I like a working WRX. I also like one that is rather more responsive than I remember, the issue must have been causing problems for longer than I realised

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I recall reading something on nasioc that said it was something to do with the ABS system initializing? Mine does it too.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is it possible to "stretch out" or damage the socket in the control arm that holds the bushing? After my ALK bushing came loose, we put the stock bushing back in, which also came loose. Now I'm thinking we might have stretched or damaged that hole with the press, and I might be out a brand new control arm.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Nice Subaru service manager reloaed the ECU of the WRX last night - and the mysterious issue turned out to be a Denso programming issue in the ECU that allows the voltages to be interpeted as a fault.

I like a working WRX. I also like one that is rather more responsive than I remember, the issue must have been causing problems for longer than I realised

And your "slow" WRX was faster than your STi. Now what? :drat:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

blargle posted:

Is it possible to "stretch out" or damage the socket in the control arm that holds the bushing? After my ALK bushing came loose, we put the stock bushing back in, which also came loose. Now I'm thinking we might have stretched or damaged that hole with the press, and I might be out a brand new control arm.

steel or al?

seems possible. If the alk got cranked in at a funny angle it could mess up the arm for sure. You could get a new arm or have it staked or welded to keep it in place. I've done a bunch of them and have never had the bushing slide out of the control arm. Have had a couple destroy themselves but that seems to usually be because they were put in at the wrong angle or upside down or something.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I think the stock arms are steel on the WRX. Will pick up a new one up tomorrow and try again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

if it's a wrx then yes, steel. You could have them make a couple spot welds around the top and bottom of the arm to keep the alk in place. Or maybe just hit it really hard with a hammer.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog
I bought a 2011 WRX (Black) in April and after a few hundred miles, it seems to have developed a sound that Subaru cannot duplicate or find an issue with. It now has 1970 or so miles and I am a bit concerned.

Description of issue - Sounds like something is clicking (clunking?) into position. Almost like an old AC unit engaging but it sounds more hollow and the sound can be heard from slightly different places underneath the car. The sound can be heard from outside the vehicle but is more pronounced inside. The sound is coming from underneath and mostly just in front middle of the driver and passenger seats.

Here is how I can duplicate the sound most of the time and it seems to be worse in colder weather:
1) Back or pull into a parking space
2) Set the e-brake and leave the shifter in the middle (neutral)
3) AC can be on or off
4) Wait about 4.5+ hours, the longer the louder the sound to a point
5) Get in car and start it
6) Press the break and clutch
7) Put the car in gear, mostly reverse gear
8) Put down the e-brake
9) Go back or forward (forward would be an additional step of moving the shifter from reverse to first)
10) Sound will come from underneath the car, with and without the clutch being engaged.

My locks do not auto lock and I do not have any real fancy options to cause any noises.

Hopefully that was detailed enough. The car is amazing in all other aspects and this is my first WRX so I would like it to be 100%. I can get pics later if anyone is interested.

draccio fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worm?
Sep 24, 2004
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153168

Looking at this bugeye, any red flags stick out? Test drove it last week and it pulls strong and transmission/clutch felt strong. As he notes on the last page there is a slight stutter in lower gears at low revs. What might that be a sign of? I think I can pick it up for <11k including a compression/leakdown and a new tune.

Seems like a lot of power for the $.