Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:eng101: There is a weapon stat called "Allowed Aiming Levels" or something like that that's really important. It tells you how many clicks you need to make to get to 100% aim, and FEWER is better. Most guns in the same class are pretty similar, but some guns have a big difference in the stat that makes one way better than the others because you're spending a lot less AP to get full aim. If I remember right the FAL OSW is much better than the HK G3 or 417 in this area, and the Aug A3 is better than the other 6.8 SPC rifles.

Unfortunately you can't see that stat in the Bobby Ray's information, it's buried in the general information tab for each gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

An easy way to drop an aiming level off a modern pistol is to use match sights. USP and the P229 are compatible, for instance.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OK, I've done some digging around the XML files and found some things out:

Fastest-aiming 5.56 assault rifles (4)

Steyr AUG-A2
FAMAS G2
Enfield L85A2
Tavor TAR 21
FN F2000
QBZ-97
SAR 21

Note that a lot of 5.56 assault rifles have a base value of 4 but have a penalty due to a built-in folding/retractable stock.

Fastest-aiming 6.8 assault rifles (4)

Barrett M468
Steyr AUG-A3

Fastest-aiming 7.62N assault rifles (5)

FN FAL OSW & MC51

Sniper rifles (6)

ColtCanada C7CT
VSS Vintorez
SVU
HK SL9SD

Sniper rifles (7)

Knight SR-25
HK MSG90A1
M21 Tactical
Steyr Scout Tactical
Zastava M76
M21 EBR
Galil Sniper
Dragunov SVD
S&O Shorty
VSSK Vychlop

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2011

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sean10mm posted:

:eng101: There is a weapon stat called "Allowed Aiming Levels" or something like that that's really important. It tells you how many clicks you need to make to get to 100% aim, and FEWER is better.
... Wasn't this the other way around before the recent update? I remember things like scopes letting me aim for more clicks, at the same benefit per click.

Haven't had a chance to play the most recent version becuase I can't find my discs and GOG and my credit card don't agree with each other, sadly.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the Aug-A2 and the A3 get a nice raise speed, due to being bullpup, and don't have the aiming penalty. It makes them really nice 5.56 and 6.8 guns.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So after playing with the new version a bit, I think I like the old aiming reticule better than the new one. Is there any way to get the old one back?

The new one, I dunno, it's just huge and ugly, and I can't ever tell how it corresponds to the % chance to hit. I mean, an ambiguous indicator is fine, but I can't even tell if I'm just at 50% or 100%. I've just missed four shots in a row with a really small green reticule so now I don't know what the hell. I'd rather just have the old bar back. Having a known % chance to miss is enough ambiguity for me.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
There's a tick box in the options screen that will let you use the old aiming system.

And I agree that the new system is somewhat strange and hard to get used to. Whoever designed it really should have written up a short manual explaining how it works.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sackmo posted:

There's a tick box in the options screen that will let you use the old aiming system.

And I agree that the new system is somewhat strange and hard to get used to. Whoever designed it really should have written up a short manual explaining how it works.

I'm pretty confident that Headrock wrote more than a little about how the new aiming systemw works. He didn't finish developing it though, but I'm pretty sure his documentation still applies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sackmo posted:

That's for the entire NCTH system though. I like NCTH, I just don't like the aiming reticule.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's for the entire NCTH system though. I like NCTH, I just don't like the aiming reticule.

The aiming reticule is an inherent part of the system though, as it shows the area your bullet can land in. The system could not work with the old reticule as there'd be no way to tell how likely you'd be to hit someone at all. They can't bring back the chance to hit bar because that entire way of calculating whether or not you hit has been completely taken out and replaced.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

I am sure this has been asked somewhere in this 97 page thread but I am search retarded (and lazy). Does anybody know how well JA2 will run via Steam over a VMWare instance of Win7-x64 on a Mac? The requirements for the game are pretty low in general but that's potentially cause for concern with virtualization.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

sean10mm posted:

OK, I've done some digging around the XML files and found some things out:

Fastest-aiming 5.56 assault rifles (4)

Steyr AUG-A2
FAMAS G2
Enfield L85A2
Tavor TAR 21
FN F2000
QBZ-97
SAR 21

Note that a lot of 5.56 assault rifles have a base value of 4 but have a penalty due to a built-in folding/retractable stock.

Fastest-aiming 6.8 assault rifles (4)

Barrett M468
Steyr AUG-A3

Fastest-aiming 7.62N assault rifles (5)

FN FAL OSW & MC51

Sniper rifles (6)

ColtCanada C7CT
VSS Vintorez
SVU
HK SL9SD

Sniper rifles (7)

Knight SR-25
HK MSG90A1
M21 Tactical
Steyr Scout Tactical
Zastava M76
M21 EBR
Galil Sniper
Dragunov SVD
S&O Shorty
VSSK Vychlop

Loving that you've done this already. Any data on 5.45 and 7.62x39mm? And which SMG/PDW type weapons come out great now? Are 5.7mm weapons still only held back by those longass 50-round stick mags?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

7.62x39 (4)
Groza OC-14

5.45x39 (4)
AKS-74U

9x39 (4)

Vikhr SR-3 Compact
Groza OC-14-4A-01

Aim levels are pretty uniform for the smaller weapons (SMGs and PDWs.)

EDIT: if I'm reading this right the SMGs and PDWs are all 3 and the machine pistols are all 2. The short rifles are pretty much all 4 once you add the folding/retractable stock penalties.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 6, 2011

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So after playing with the new version a bit, I think I like the old aiming reticule better than the new one. Is there any way to get the old one back?

The new one, I dunno, it's just huge and ugly, and I can't ever tell how it corresponds to the % chance to hit. I mean, an ambiguous indicator is fine, but I can't even tell if I'm just at 50% or 100%. I've just missed four shots in a row with a really small green reticule so now I don't know what the hell. I'd rather just have the old bar back. Having a known % chance to miss is enough ambiguity for me.

Smaller is better, and when it's reduced to green cross it's 100%.
But it doesn't really mean you'll hit the enemy, you could hit the obstacle in front of him, old aiming cursor was at least blackened in this case, but new one doesn't give such info.
There also seem to still be "magic tiles" where you just can't hit anything unless you use AoE weapons. I've seen this one on central SAM for dude standing in the corner behind the opened door, all shots hit the ground there but not soldier standing on it, can't even hit him with knife or punch, game just pauses for a moment and you don't attack.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

Smaller is better, and when it's reduced to green cross it's 100%.
But it doesn't really mean you'll hit the enemy, you could hit the obstacle in front of him, old aiming cursor was at least blackened in this case, but new one doesn't give such info.

Actually it does, it won't show the red + in the middle if the shot is 100% blocked.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Actually it does, it won't show the red + in the middle if the shot is 100% blocked.

And the mercs will still say the usual "I can't hit that" voice clip as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

And the mercs will still say the usual "I can't hit that" voice clip as well.

One thing to note is that sometimes they will give this voice clip when a shot is still possible because of range; it seems like they'll say it if you're trying to aim past the bullet drop range, but because the bullet still goes for an extra tile or two after that, if you're right on the edge, you can still hit.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Looking at machine guns, they're pretty much all about the same with 6-7 aim levels. The only fast-aiming MG is the Aug HBAR, but its rate of fire stinks and it only holds 40 rounds....the regular Aug is actually better at pretty much everything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Looking at machine guns, they're pretty much all about the same with 6-7 aim levels.

That's because you don't actually want to aim with them, in most cases. If you've got a single guy standing alone you're better off getting someone else to shoot him - use MGs on crowds, where the bigger the spread the better.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That's because you don't actually want to aim with them, in most cases. If you've got a single guy standing alone you're better off getting someone else to shoot him - use MGs on crowds, where the bigger the spread the better.

I've had tremendous success using Haywire with a machine gun and full aiming, then switching to burst mode. With his 67 marksmanship, he's been an absolute killer with this method. I can't seem to hit anything when I do burst mode normally, however.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias or something.

I have to say that I am really enjoying the new traits. It seems like it makes niche roles a good bit easier to actually play, instead of giving everybody a sniper rifle/high end assault rifle and just going nuts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Giving a machine gunner a weapon with 3 round burst (either built in or from a trigger group) and having him fire aimed bursts is really effective at slaughtering individual guys over surprisingly long distances when you don't have a crowd to hose down. And it never seems like I need all the aim levels on machine guns anyway.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Giving a machine gunner a weapon with 3 round burst (either built in or from a trigger group) and having him fire aimed bursts is really effective at slaughtering individual guys over surprisingly long distances when you don't have a crowd to hose down. And it never seems like I need all the aim levels on machine guns anyway.

I still haven't really faced many crowds, and when I do I usually prefer shotguns, since most of my team has a back up shotgun prepared,(Or, in Danny's case, two back up sawn offs.) while I only have 2 machine gunners.

Another thing I've noticed, but again could just be me, but it seems like wisdom has a much higher influence on ability to improve a skill than before, has anybody else experienced the same thing?

I mean, even factoring in the "teaching" trait and the "intellectual" personality type, high wis characters seem to gain stats at a faster rate than before.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

sean10mm posted:

The Rod&Spring'ed HK MG36 RAS is your machinegunner mercs best friend.

Put a foregrip, ACOG Combo and Rifle Laser on that baby and you can burst mode snipe for the AP cost of single shots, silencer optional.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

For crowd control the USAS-12 is probably the best. Since enemies count each buckshot pellet as an individual bullet, pinning down the enemy is much, much easier. I found that the number of rounds you'd need to put out in an MG for similar effect would get lovely from an ammo perspective really fast. I'm also finding that MG's are better for squad support now than snipers because of the new aiming penalties for close in snipers. I kinda like it!

Also, am I the only one who prefers Warsaw Pact kit? I look on the bear's pit forum and you see everyone with MAXED TACTICLOL OPERATOR OPERATOR gear. Here I am puttering along with AKs, RPKs and SVDs.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 7, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Xerxes17 posted:

For crowd control the USAS-12 is probably the best. Since enemies count each buckshot pellet as an individual bullet, pinning down the enemy is much, much easier. I found that the number of rounds you'd need to put out in an MG for similar effect would get lovely from an ammo perspective really fast. I'm also finding that MG's are better for squad support now than snipers because of the new aiming penalties for close in snipers. I kinda like it!

Also, am I the only one who prefers Warsaw Pact kit? I look on the bear's pit forum and you see everyone with MAXED TACTICLOL OPERATOR OPERATOR gear. Here I am puttering along with AKs, RPKs and SVDs.

I think the problem is that the 'best guns' in a couple of categories are NATO, and the pictacenny (sp?) rails make nato guns a bit more flexible. I use a lot of WP guns though, particularly outside of the main combat team (trainers, etc) and during the mid game. I find a get a buttload of AK-103s and stuff before I start seeing the ood NATO guns and they get a fair bit of use.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

I tend to just grab what I find, and use that. I don't think that there is such a difference as to make something utterly useless. If I notice an upgrade, I grab it, otherwise I let it lay and don't sweat it too much.

Only real exceptions are for specialty guys, where I will hunt out a better shotgun or pistol or machine gun or sniper rifle or whatever.

Especially sniper rifles that don't need to be recocked. What a pain.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, they just aren't as good if you are really min-maxing, but they are certainly usable. Especially early on, a good soviet assault rifle can save your hide. The best you are probably going to do for common calibur soviet guns is an AEK-973 loaded with match. It is still slower, less accurate, and has more aiming levels than 5.56 NATO guns though. Not to mention it can't mount a rifle LAM. Even with a reflex sight, you are looking at five aiming levels, compared to three for something like an Aug-A2.

A tricked out 9x39 groza firing three round bursts is probably pretty usable. Might not stand up to the G11 though.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well i'm finding that if you're using single shots with AK's you're doing it wrong. A prone merc with an AK with a fore-grip or bipod will get plenty of rounds on target if they fire in bursts. Even out to surprisingly long ranges, especially if they have a PSO.

Another benefit I've found is that the 7.62WP goes through cover better than all of the other intermediate rifle rounds so in cover heavy areas you'll do more damage. I know that the AKM/AK74 can mount a rifle LAM so no issues there. I personally would have thought that the Ak107/An94 would've been the top end guns for the AK series.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.
How do you select how many bullets you want to fire with your guns?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

How do you select how many bullets you want to fire with your guns?

Switch firing modes by pressing b. Some guns can shoot in bursts, which only shoot a certain amount of bullets. Other guns can shoot in auto, which you can choose how many it can shoot, but you might fire more than you wanted.

If its on auto, change how many bullets you want to shoot by right clicking, and how many aim levels you want to do it in by scrolling with your mouse.

I honestly prefer guns that have burst. 2-3 shots to the chest is usually enough to kill people, especially with assault rifles.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

With auto-mode, right click. Mousewheel controls the aim value, it's better to have more aim than bullets usually unless you are in "ah fuckit" suppression fire mode.

e;fb, so some better content

Another advantage that the ruskie weapons has is the VOG-25P grenade for the GP30. It's the ultimate ace up your sleeve for taking out groups of enemies.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 7, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xerxes17 posted:

I personally would have thought that the Ak107/An94 would've been the top end guns for the AK series.

The AN94 basically is, but for totally different reasons - the 2-round burst and crazy accuracy. It's basically the G11 at a lower coolness level.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Xerxes17 posted:

Another advantage that the ruskie weapons has is the VOG-25P grenade for the GP30. It's the ultimate ace up your sleeve for taking out groups of enemies.

Hell yea, a cheap and accessible grenade with blast radius of thermobaric ones
And pretty much all missile launchers are russian(bar M72A4 which is worst of the lot anyway)
SVD is also a good choice of sniper rifle for most of the game; other rifles you can get at that time are bolt-action or use some exotic ammo, only M21 is on par or slightly better

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ye olde Minimi is still pretty hilarious, especially if you give it to an auto/machinegunner character. Too many of the LMGs just feel like slow oversized assault rifles. The minimi though, it feels like a loving machine gun. A clip of 200 and a great fire rate combined with good attachment capability make for a solid gun. Firing fifty rounds of tracer into somebody's chest never gets old. It isn't perfect, as the raise is a bit slow and it has more aiming levels than I would like, but gently caress it. It does enough well for me to give it a gold star.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The great mass of Russian guns are OK but don't stand out. But quite a few of them are very good, period.

The AN-94 is a good rifle because it's very quiet with a suppressor compared to most ARs (I think the base loudness is like 45 instead of 75-85) and fires 2 rounds for barely more than the cost of 1...and I'm pretty sure the burst has 0 recoil penalty. That makes it a lot better than the raw stats suggest, especially if you like to sneak around at night. NCTH may have made it slightly worse since it isn't especially fast to aim (though it isn't terrible or anything) and it isn't vastly more accurate than every other AR anymore (though it's still above average.)

The 9x39 Groza variant is actually very good, except that for some reason they gave it a loudness that's way too high for a subsonic rifle - the Bobby Ray's description tells you that it's very quiet with a suppressor but in reality it has a crazy loudness of like 85 or something. If you don't consider using the XML editor cheating (or just don't give a poo poo) you can edit it to have something more fitting like 45. That aside, it's a fast rifle with super-AP ammo.

Heck, the regular Groza is pretty good too. It's fast, you can load it with match ammo to gain back the slight range disadvantage it starts with compared to many NATO rifles, and it has that nice built-in grenade launcher. NCTH makes both Grozas better than they used to be because they're both among the few 4 aim click rifles.

The best silent sniper rifles are Russian, the Vintorez and the VSSK. The fastest-aiming conventional sniper rifle is Russian too, the SVU. The only real problem with the SVU is that it doesn't take a sniper suppressor.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

You know I've never really understood why it matters if the guns are loud. Personally I hope everyone hears me firing as it draws the enemy towards me...where I usually have three or so mercs sitting around the corner with automatic weapons or, even better, an imp with dual pistols.

Maybe I need to play the game more subtly but I really don't know how :( I tend to pick my guns based on damage and don't really know what attachments I should be using on what. By the time I'm at the end of the game and the enemies are tough I'm using .50 cal sniper rifles and P90's with the odd grenade/rocket thrown in.

I'm also a huge sexist as I've never, in about four full playthroughs, used a female merc. In fact I've probably only used about six or so of the mercs available full stop.

Help me change my ways, what would be a good, fun team to use? I play on expert so don't make it too challenging. I don't know if I have the patience hiring from M.E.R.C.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

You know I've never really understood why it matters if the guns are loud. Personally I hope everyone hears me firing as it draws the enemy towards me...where I usually have three or so mercs sitting around the corner with automatic weapons or, even better, an imp with dual pistols.

Maybe I need to play the game more subtly but I really don't know how :( I tend to pick my guns based on damage and don't really know what attachments I should be using on what. By the time I'm at the end of the game and the enemies are tough I'm using .50 cal sniper rifles and P90's with the odd grenade/rocket thrown in.

I'm also a huge sexist as I've never, in about four full playthroughs, used a female merc. In fact I've probably only used about six or so of the mercs available full stop.

Help me change my ways, what would be a good, fun team to use? I play on expert so don't make it too challenging. I don't know if I have the patience hiring from M.E.R.C.

Fox is goddamn amazing, she'll pull off all kidna of crazy shots with pistols. She's a great merc to have in the early game. Meltdown also did well from what I can remember. Raven/Scope are great snipers.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Spider and Fox are great female starter mercs. Spider is a top notch medic, and with her ridiculously high WIS she becomes an ace shooter within a month too. Fox isn't as good a medic, but she's a great diplomat (she gets a big bonus to NPC reactions with Friendly / Recruit). Plus her constant innuendo is funny ;-*

I had a ton of success a while ago with Team Furry (Fox, Grizzly, Wolf, Cougar, Lynx, and my IMP Siegfried "White Tiger" Roy :furcry:). There's like 6-8 buddy relationships among that group, it's ridiculous.

Comedy option: Hire Buzz and put her in a squad with Lynx.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xerxes17 posted:

Fox is goddamn amazing, she'll pull off all kidna of crazy shots with pistols. She's a great merc to have in the early game. Meltdown also did well from what I can remember. Raven/Scope are great snipers.

I think the new version of 1.13 really buffed Fox and other ambidextrous mercs, at least in the early game. Even with just one aim click, Fox gets pretty drat good accuracy, her AP cost to fire is dirt cheap, and fires two bullets per shots. She can move a bit or look around and change stances, and still take four (eight, really) shots. Then again, with aimed bursts and such, I suppose it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Try turning on MERC from the start, and hiring Tex as your first mercenary. If you really want to see what two pistols can be used to do then he is your man, particularly if you plan mostly on fighting at night.