Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

I've been hearing/reading that for like, ten years.

This is hardly a coincidence. The American economy has been in the toilet for ten years. The housing bubble wasn't a real recovery. Massive federal deficit spending under Bush* and super-low interest rates made the economy look better than it was during those years.

*Oh the irony. Our political class has such a short memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

nm posted:

Too bad it isn't even on pay cable, but rather a pay cable show's website.

It's a start, I guess. I doubt we'll be seeing the CBS/NBC/ABC evening news covering the issue any time soon, but it's better than nothing. I didn't take Adam "Anchorman" McKay as a social activist type guy, but the site he was plugging was for free protest songs which is cool.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Venezuelan prison

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

Mister Macys posted:

Wait a minute, if Arizona is one of the most broke states in the Union, and if prisons are paid with tax bucks, how the hell is that bill getting any traction?
[...]

Corruption is the key to the situation here. The state legislature here is overwhelmingly Republican, so all the lobbyists need to do is influence the Republicans. They do this most blatantly. The private prison business actually wrote our SB1070 immigration law. They also bankroll a lot of political campaigns. Our electorate as a group is so stupid, so ignorant, they don't even care.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Torka posted:

Mind linking to the blog? Assuming it's not private.

No problem, it's a current case so he hasn't mentioned his charges (though the circumstances of his arrest and who he blames for it are mentioned) and since I went to uni 4 years ago I lost contact with the hardcore punk scene which is how I knew him and therefore I don't know the charges myself, I only got linked to the blog by chance and figured out it was him from his old stories and nicknames he uses (he only revealed his name and therefore confirmed it was him a couple months ago).

It's also worth noting that he's been there for nearly over half a year now and has therefore posted most the stuff about the prison system he can, it's now largely about his musings on his life before prison.

Here's some posts that fit in with the theme of the thread:

quote:

Things in MCC are definitely a lot more relaxed compared to some of the other jails i have heard stories about..after all, this is a pre-trial facility. Not to say that is doesn't has its fair share of shankings, beatings and what not.. But still, things could always be worse!

One evening over a cup of coffee, Sha tells me about a facility called El Rino.
El Rino is in Oklahoma. When i asked Sha what there worst facility he has been to was, without hesitation, he said El Rino.

The description i got of this place, is it is a HUGE holding facility, holding about 800 inmates. Imagine a warehouse that has been converted into one big dormatory. Most of the windows are either smashed, or completely punched through.

There are Rats in most of the cells, and not only rats, but pidgeons in the main room. Sha recalled waking up to pidgeon poo poo not only on his bed, but his forehead. He said most people, once they had caught a pidgeon, would pull it's head off. Sounds grim, but that ain't the worst thing he said was going down..

Apparently there were a few cats in this facility. They had apparently climbed in through the broken windows, or through the roof that had many holes in it. Bad move.

The description of the cat Sha gave, was that he would walk around really slowly limping, and his rear end in a top hat 'was hanging out and was as big as a coke can'. Whatever do you mean? He explained:

One morning he heard a cat 'screaming bloody murder' but didn't know what was going on. Later that day, he found out through a fellow inmate that people had been taking it in turns bumming the cat, hence it's saggy rear end in a top hat. Great stuff.

Not just cats got the presidential treatment..It was seen as a badge of honour if you managed to catch one of the rats. Not just because of their size, but if they bit you, you were hosed as most had all kinds of diseases..But the people that had caught them, would put them on leashes in their rooms..shoe laces, whatever was at hand..until the rat just chewed through the lace/it's own leg, and then they would "bash the n*****s head in" if it tried to escape. nice.

A story which Sha seemed to have a lot of pride talking about, was a flooding that happened in Pennsylvania. He has always spoke about how the inmates here are 'as soft as poo poo' and have no loyalty, were as in other facilities if something happens to one of the inmates, all of them will unite and revolt. Live.

On this occasion, Sha was in the hole/solitary for fighting...and one of his partners (who is now here) came to the cell and told him "get your sail boat, we're flooding this motherfucker"
"why?"
"i don't know, everyone is doing it"
Without anymore persuasion, Sha got ready to flood. Plugged up the toilet, plugged up the sinks, turned taps on, constantly flushed toilet.
"timdog, these motherfuckers HATE it when you flood this bitch"
I can imagine. They get mostly inmates to do the upkeep of the prison. Cleaning, giving people new bedding and toilet paper to wipe your lovely behind, things like that. But when the inmates kick off, the staff have to do everything.
"dude, it was beautiful..we did it the day before inspection..it was like Niagra Falls up in that motherfucker"
"gently caress them crackers"
Seen.

quote:

NEW YEAR
I bet you're wondering what i did for New Years?
Well the local bar was closed, it got raided about a week ago after one of the hooch containers exploded and fonged out the whole loving unit, so it was a sober one for me i'm affraid...

There was a break dancing battle in the kitchen which lasted for about half an hour, until the captain came running into the unit screaming 'WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON' and we had to scram! Yikadges!

When it finally got to twelve, me an my cellie sparked up an extremely big/crude snout, and toasted the new year with some moonshineries...from about five minutes before twelve, to two hours after, EVERYONE in the jail were kicking their doors/punching the walls/screaming, it was like loving armageddon...was too funny seeing Sha calmy stand up, put his shoes on, then run and boot the door about 50 times lol Definitely a new years to remember! Here's hoping this year is going to be better than the last one..

When we were being locked in, all the inmates in the unit were going around wishing everyone a happy new year, after the head of the Bloods came upto me to wish me a new year, an italian dude calmly walked up to me an said..
"Hey English, Happy New year! It's going to be Happy year, so be happy my freind :D

quote:

In jail things ain't pretty.
There are many ways for a guy to get hosed up, killed, horrendously disfigured, crippled, mamed etc.. I asked a few different inmates some of the ways that these acts can be delivered..

Stabbings. Mostly done with DIY knives, which can be made from ALL KINDS of materials, from toothpaste tubes, to plastic spoons, anything that can be melt, twisted, and morphed into a sharp T1000 esque knife, or stabbing weapon..

Throwing boiling water. This is more common than you might think..all it takes is a microwave, and a disagreement. There are unlimited possibilites when it comes to what liquid you choose to throw on your 'opponent', whether it's a drink, piss, or even human excrement, boiled to volcanic temperatures..

"Man, dudes just loving kill you with their bare hands. Simple!"

Poison. this doesn't nessecerily have to be done to kill someone, inmates regularly poison each other,just for laughs. This can include anything from pissing in someones drink, to baking (in the microwave) someone a cake for their birthday, that is made from 99 per cent laxatives :D ..But also it isn't too uncommon for people to swap someone's heroin with rat poison.

Death by falling. On the higher tiers, and mostly in actual prison compounds, if you want to take out an adversary, simply throw them off a balcony. Simple, effective.

Dumbell. One of the more obvious weapons..we don't have dumbells here for that very reason, because of the ludicrously high chance of death that occours when you hit someone in the head with a weight. Another weapon which is confined to the prison compound/yard..

"a N****r stick a pen in your eye, you're hosed up man"

Blinding people. Say someone picks a fight with you, and they're clearly bigger and stronger than you..so, either lose face and get poo poo beat down your leg, or give yourself a helping hand by throwing salt of piss in their eyes before battle commences!

Needles. There is a makeshift 'hospital' ward in the prison. This has good points and bad points. One of the good points, possibilities to steal supplies for whatever project one is concocting. One of the bad points, possibilities for people to steal supplies like needles to stab you with, even with the intent of breaking the needle off in your arm/face/leg/groin.

"they used to sell baby oil but n****rs were setting people on fire"

I had the misfortune of seeing, while researching this post, many prison scars.
I think i mentioned before that, in here, i have seen the most horrendous scars and disfigurements to date, and this seems to constantly being upgraded every time we get new inmates shipped in...

Dirty razors. I saw an inmate who had some absolutely sick scars from a knife attack he endured upstate..he was stabbed multiple times with a 'dirty razor'. Inmates will soak a razor in bleach, or vinegar, for months at a time..even burying razors outside in the dirt for anything up to half a year, to make sure it is completely infected. Then after stabbing an individual with such a razor, it produces a 'keloid' (check spelling) which basically makes the flesh around the wound bubble up through the open hole..seriously gruesome!

After all this violent talk, i go relax and make myself a cup of tea. How quintessentially Brittish :D

Here's the address: http://newyorkprisoner63906054.blogspot.com/

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Mister Macys posted:

You know how you always read about states cutting Education budgets? Specifically, California and Florida?
I've been hearing/reading that for like, ten years.

How can they have been cutting them every year, if they never increase them? Shouldn't at least one state have hit zero for its Education budget by now?

They're trying. Detroit's literally trying to sell off it's public school infrastructure by making the whole thing charters.

Things not getting cut every year: Prison spending. It's far more important to spend money on the result of our terrible school system than fixing it at the source.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

They're trying. Detroit's literally trying to sell off it's public school infrastructure by making the whole thing charters.

Things not getting cut every year: Prison spending. It's far more important to spend money on the result of our terrible school system than fixing it at the source.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

HidingFromGoro posted:

US department of education stimulus dollars mostly spent on education, though the lion's share goes to the prison system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Brown Menace posted:

US department of education stimulus dollars mostly spent on education, though the lion's share goes to the prison system.

School of Hard Knocks.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
Some Pollsmoor Info

gov.za posted:

Young awaiting-trial prisoners at Pollsmoor have complained to the portfolio committee on correctional services of being raped in court cells, in the back of police vans and in prison cells.

Members of the committee went to Pollsmoor on Thursday to interview prisoners after six families complained to chairman Dennis Bloem that their relatives were being raped repeatedly by other prisoners.

The very reason I am a good citizen :unsmith:

Pollsmoor cells are overcrowded by almost 100%, in some cases like maximum security a lot more, no surprises here.

wiki posted:

By far the majority of prisoners live in communal bungalow cells, in which up to 40 prisoners sleep on double and triple bunks. Even the tiny single cells (of 2.5 by 2 metres) are occupied by one to three prisoners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollsmoor_Prison

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
So, with prison labor, is there any study showing success at rehabilitation with it? Oranges-to-oranges, is the recidivism rate lower?

It seems like a good idea, even if the line between vocational training/slave labor is awfully blurry.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm pretty sure nothing prison slave labour is used for entails useful job training.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Not sure it's hyperbole at all. Already seems like prison labor is a significant chunk of the economy. There's prisoner rental; for example BP saved some change, and got tax breaks, for having convicts clean up beaches after their Gulf spill. There are direct savings; IIRC prisoners produce a huge chunk of US military gear, backpacks and webbing and the like just for starters.

You should read that book. It touches on the subject a bit.

One of the points the author makes that I find myself paraphrasing a lot in these threads is that the whole point of globalization was a steady supply of cheap and highly-disciplined labor overseas. Prisons are used for some things that are difficult to outsource but really they aren't all that appealing for a lot of obvious reasons: prisons are lovely work environments, fights break out, workflow is disrupted constantly by guards and general prison bullshit. It doesn't make a lot of sense to use prison labor except for a handful of things that for various reasons can't be done in the third world.

Prison labor is part of the story, but the economic benefits, from the perspective of power, are indirect: the law-enforcement apparatus in it's current state is designed for total control, and prisons play the role of shattering community ties and pitting the impoverished against eachother. Like a divide and conquer kind of thing. It's much better to think of crime-fighting as something police and prisons do sort of as a bonus in between suppressing dissent and ensuring that the lower classes can never get their poo poo together and start murdering bankers en masse. The reason we have police is to dress up people in riot gear the next time there's a protest, and the reason people put up with them is because ostensibly they "fight crime" when they're not destroying lives. So the economic benefit of prisons turns out to be that they work as a way of protecting the political relationships that make the U.S. such a lucrative place for corrupt shitheads in the first place. It's not necessarily about having PIC and contractors and getting cheap labor at home--those are just perks, so to speak.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Heh. I sent the link to the prison post compilation at http://lf.dont-read.com to my mother, she read it all and now she's talking like a depressed nihilist.

But she's also already talking about how she'll be less likely to let it slide when people in everyday life say awful things about prisoner treatment. It's amazing how effective this information is when you just get people to read it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Torka posted:

Heh. I sent the link to the prison post compilation at http://lf.dont-read.com to my mother, she read it all and now she's talking like a depressed nihilist.

But she's also already talking about how she'll be less likely to let it slide when people in everyday life say awful things about prisoner treatment. It's amazing how effective this information is when you just get people to read it.

One of the things I've noticed is that little individual facts can easily be ignored, but a huge wall of text can be wielded like a bludgeon.

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
Just saw this on the Exile: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/07/u-s-inmates-40-years-in-solitary-must-end-amnesty/

40 years in solitary confinement? I can't imagine how profoundly decimated the minds of those two men must be. When I hear about things like that, the death penalty almost sounds like a humane alternative. By the way, this sentiment about a life sentence being worse for some prisoners than death, I've heard it from a man that worked with inmates at San Quentin for years.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

G. Hosafat posted:

Just saw this on the Exile: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/07/u-s-inmates-40-years-in-solitary-must-end-amnesty/

40 years in solitary confinement? I can't imagine how profoundly decimated the minds of those two men must be.

They are 2 members of the Angola 3. What happened to the third one? He's award-winning author and internationally-recognized prison reform activist Robert King (scroll to picture).

He stayed behind during Katrina to make candy for cops and firemen- no, seriously.

Here's King getting released from prison after 29 years in solitary:

Ear to ear, baby! It's almost impossible for us to imagine how he felt on that day.

HidingFromGoro fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 8, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HidingFromGoro posted:

They are 2 members of the Angola 3. What happened to the third one? He's award-winning author and internationally-recognized prison reform activist Robert King (scroll to picture).

He stayed behind during Katrina to make candy for cops and firemen- no, seriously.

Here's King getting released from prison after 29 years in solitary:

Ear to ear, baby! It's almost impossible for us to imagine how he felt on that day.
How long until they make this an argument that solitary is harmless?

G. Hosafat
Apr 16, 2003

:m10:
Now I gotta read up on his story. It takes a disciplined mind to survive such treatment, and I wonder what lessons we can learn from his experience. Absolutely inspiring work can blossom out of prolonged profound suffering, but those are the few lucky people who could maintain their mind throughout their ordeal. I bet he has some unique insights...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nm posted:

Solitary, with supervised human interaction and reasonable recreation and "outside world" contact like phone calls, internet, visitors, etc, is not much worse than prison in general. In many ways it's better, because you are less at risk of being raped or killed.

Solitary confinement is not supposed to be "locked in a closet with literally no contact or stimulus ever".

E: I don't mean that to say that prison isn't terrible, or that Angola in particular isn't a horrible place, just that "proper" solitary is not what people think it is.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

nm posted:

I'd pay to see that debate, King would eat them alive- doubly so if Dr. Kupers was up there with him.

Plus, since King's the master of "kill 'em with kindness," after he got done wiping the floor with them, he'd probably make some cookies to help them feel better.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Dominion posted:

Solitary, with supervised human interaction and reasonable recreation and "outside world" contact like phone calls, internet, visitors, etc, is not much worse than prison in general. In many ways it's better, because you are less at risk of being raped or killed.

Solitary confinement is not supposed to be "locked in a closet with literally no contact or stimulus ever".

E: I don't mean that to say that prison isn't terrible, or that Angola in particular isn't a horrible place, just that "proper" solitary is not what people think it is.

Disagree with all of that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HidingFromGoro posted:

I'd pay to see that debate, King would eat them alive- doubly so if Dr. Kupers was up there with him.

Plus, since King's the master of "kill 'em with kindness," after he got done wiping the floor with them, he'd probably make some cookies to help them feel better.

They'll wait till he's dead, then.

Tokyo Jesus
Jun 5, 2004
WORST POSTER EVER
I just wanted to recommend this fascinating conversation with UC Berkeley Prof Loic Wacquant about the history and sociology of the collapse of the black ghetto and the rise of the penal/ghetto complex; and Wacquant's critique of the "Prison Industrial Complex" and his advocacy of the "Penal State" as a more accurate description of the modern American carceral apparatus.

I hope that everybody will listen and provide feedback.

Listen here: --->http://www.againstthegrain.org/program/441/id/232343/wed-6-08-11-punitive-turn<---

Wed 6.08.11| The Punitive Turn

Loïc Wacquant, Punishing the Poor: The Neoliberal Government of Social Insecurity Duke U. Press, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/Punishing-Poor-Neoliberal-Government-Insecurity/dp/082234422X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307583802&sr=8-1

What are the real reasons for this nation's unprecedented (in world history) boom in incarceration? Is the prison a tool to fight crime, or does it serve an entirely different function? And what about the notion of a Prison Industrial Complex: does it have any relation to reality? Loïc Wacquant shares his thoughts about the relationship between penal policy and welfare/workfare policy, and much more.

http://sociology.berkeley.edu/faculty/wacquant/
http://sociology.berkeley.edu/faculty/wacquant/wacquant_pdf/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HidingFromGoro posted:

Disagree with all of that.

Yeah, and also I don't think there's any freedom from rapes and beatings in solitary considering solitary still has guards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tokyo Jesus posted:

What are the real reasons for this nation's unprecedented (in world history) boom in incarceration? Is the prison a tool to fight crime, or does it serve an entirely different function? And what about the notion of a Prison Industrial Complex: does it have any relation to reality? Loïc Wacquant shares his thoughts about the relationship between penal policy and welfare/workfare policy, and much more.

It's not unprecedented in world history:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Rutibex posted:

It's not unprecedented in world history:

Don't post made-up stuff here.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
  • CA: Female inmates face sexual abuse, lack of medical care, and unsanitary conditions.

quote:

One woman had liver disease, with eyes "yellow as a warning sign" and two tampons stuck up her nose to stem the bleeding that poured from every orifice. Henry brought her to the prison's clinic where, she said, the two were told to return to work. Within a week, the woman was dead.

"I watched 17 women die in one year," said Henry, now 62

• US: Black Women Perceived as "Being More White" Receive Judicial Leniency.

quote:

Black women who were perceived as possessing a light skin tone received considerably more lenient sentences, and spent considerably less time in prison, than other black women. Other possible mitigating factors considered in the study cannot explain these results in their entirely, and a statistical analysis suggests that data outliers didn't alter the fundamental results.

• CA: Jewish inmates denied court-ordered Kosher food

quote:

Now the state faces a looming legal conflict over inmates’ religious and constitutional rights, with the state’s court-ordered kosher food program among the initiatives falling victim to the cuts.

• CA: The struggle to abolish JLWOP (Juvenile Life Without the Possibility of Parole).

• US: Physicians call for new approach to address national 'epidemic of mass incarceration.'

quote:

[Josiah D. Rich, M.D., M.P.H., director of the Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights] concludes that a new evidence-based approach is desperately needed. "Locking up millions of people for drug-related crimes has failed as a public-safety strategy and has harmed public health in the communities to which these men and women return," he says. "The medical community and policymakers must advocate for alternatives to imprisonment, drug-policy reform and increased public awareness in order to reduce the consequences of mass incarceration."

• NY: The risks of using criminal background checks in college admissions. Full report (pdf)

quote:

“This is a civil rights issue,” the report argues, quoting Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren’s opinion in Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954: “(Education) is a right which must be made available to all on equal terms.”

• CA: Prison edict backlash reveals racial bias

quote:

What underlies the refusal to cheaply and effectively reverse organized abandonment? If it's not money, it must be race. Nearly everyone in the United States – whatever their race, ethnicity, religion or party – thinks "black" when they hear "prison" or "crime." To call the mass incarceration of poor people "unintended" is to ignore the teachings of philosopher-police chief William Bratton. He unabashedly told Los Angeles organizers that when Jim Crow was found unconstitutional, legislators wrote new laws using different criteria to get similar outcomes. And just as poll taxes disenfranchised poor white people, these new laws ensnare them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just saw the last part of Justin Theroux's doc about the Miami mega jail. And was wondering what people think of the boot camps. Also, trying a fourteen year old as an adult, what the gently caress America?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Alhazred posted:

Just saw the last part of Justin Theroux's doc about the Miami mega jail. And was wondering what people think of the boot camps. Also, trying a fourteen year old as an adult, what the gently caress America?

If done competently, boot camps work for some people. You'll get your best results after probation fails but before someone's gone to prison.
"Competently" does not mean "put the big, mean, loud guy who did boot camp at Parris Island in charge." Good DIs are worth their weight in gold, but unfortunately, most DOCs don't pay in gold.

I'll see your fourteen year old and raise you a twelve year old:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-brother.html

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the DA described him as young man instead of the more correct term "child". It's like she knows that trying a child as an adult is loving insane and is trying hide that fact.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If we can charge 12 year olds as adults then I'm not sure why we even bother with the child/adult distinction. I can't think of anyone who considers 12 year olds adults (other than 4 year olds maybe).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

joat mon posted:

If done competently, boot camps work for some people. You'll get your best results after probation fails but before someone's gone to prison.
"Competently" does not mean "put the big, mean, loud guy who did boot camp at Parris Island in charge." Good DIs are worth their weight in gold, but unfortunately, most DOCs don't pay in gold.

I'll see your fourteen year old and raise you a twelve year old:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-brother.html
Raise you a 5 year old. Maybe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110609/us_nm/us_kansas_drowning_charge

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

What the loving gently caress. Pretty sure in civilised systems you can't even charge (try?) kids younger than 10 or 12.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
'civilization' is words, and we use words to conceal our evil. No way the people who make the laws give a poo poo about age as long as it's not rich white kids that get shafted.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I like how people in the comments say "Oh well no jurisdiction will charge a 5 year old with murder..." If it wasn't required to make an account to to comment there I would link the 12 year old charged with life in prison as an adult. No one is too young the way our criminal justice system works.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

gently caress me. My optimistic side hopes this is only a statutory investigation requirement in case the ME rules the death a homicide (as a civil records-reporting matter) and will not be referred for prosecution (or declined if it is)

On a brighter note, Oklahoma now has one less guy on death row.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Of course it's a requirement, and of course they're not going to charge a 5 year old.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Adar posted:

Of course it's a requirement, and of course they're not going to charge a 5 year old.

I used to say that about people under 14 but I got proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
On the one hand this is the kind of thread about Really Bad Things where people get upset for good reason and followup overreactions are understandable. On the other, no, they're not going to charge a 5 year old for murder and you're being silly.

fake edit: I did some followup Googling, and, once upon a time (1929), a jury did decide to convict a 6 year old of manslaughter: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/03/05/loc_kentucky_6-year-old.html. Of course the conviction was instantly overturned and he never served a day in reform school back then, either.

• Locked thread