Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nadir: Tactical Update 6
C1 Guillotine? holds fire!
C1 Guillotine? gains 35 heat! 1 heat builds up!

What the poo poo is this thing doing that it's not moving or firing a gun and it's still generating that much heat? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SageNytell posted:

What the poo poo is this thing doing that it's not moving or firing a gun and it's still generating that much heat? :aaa:

That's a very good question.

Acting as a delivery platform for Elementals doesn't generate heat, does it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SageNytell posted:

Microwaving Jiffy-Pop. It's going to go back in time!

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

SageNytell posted:

Cutting through the hull to board elementals? Maybe the second round is on the ship.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stackpoling its way through the ship hull!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

SageNytell posted:

The jump infantry finally entered the fight. They were greeted with silly overkill.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

SageNytell posted:

It says so right there: It's holding fire! Fire is hot.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
That's a thought. Clearly the elementals clinging to it are armed with Flamers. They're busy setting it on fire.

Next turn, the Guillotine is going to run forward and crash tackle the Kintaro and punch that hater bot in the face, whilst on fire.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Nice job turning the tables on those elementals. I mean, it's clearly only a temporary victory, but the satisfaction of crushing a few of those little fuckers must be incredible.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Nice job turning the tables on those elementals. I mean, it's clearly only a temporary victory, but the satisfaction of crushing a few of those little fuckers must be incredible.

You have no idea how true this is.

It takes 11 points of damage to destroy a single Elemental.
A Mech's kick does 1 point of damage per 5 tons of weight.
My Kintaro weighs 55 tons.

I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face. :)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Artificer posted:

I suppose. But IS's incredibly industrial and numerical advantage sort of negates that...

ComStar alone has enough industrial output to beat a couple clans, especially because they have the tech to make it a sort-of-fair fight. The Terra system is a very valuable place to own.

Also: Sucks so bad to be the Kintaro. Wouldn't that count as a breach, or does he have to take a crit there first?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Maybe in this timeline the Clans will actually increase Sibko production on newly conquered worlds and refit old factories on those same worlds. And be up to IS standards in like a few years.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The cold vacuum of space...

But...there is no conduction or convection of heat into a vacuum...only radiation. In fact, shouldn't all the heat sinks be working less effectively right now? Did I miss where that was stated or does BT not space the same way as reality?

Oh wait, tv tropes says that in the Mechwarrior games that Mechs cool faster in vacuums and "Mechs and aerospace fighters are described as using heat sinks to vent heat, which are sometimes described as being specialized to work in a vacuum."

Well, it is still probably a good idea to turn the coolant in the suit off, or down at least since the pilot is only going to be getting heat from their own body and the seat at this point. Space will insulate them pretty well but if the coolant sucks away their heat they might have problems.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Farseli posted:

But...there is no conduction or convection of heat into a vacuum...only radiation. In fact, shouldn't all the heat sinks be working less effectively right now? Did I miss where that was stated or does BT not space the same way as reality?

Oh wait, tv tropes says that in the Mechwarrior games that Mechs cool faster in vacuums and "Mechs and aerospace fighters are described as using heat sinks to vent heat, which are sometimes described as being specialized to work in a vacuum."

Well, it is still probably a good idea to turn the coolant in the suit off, or down at least since the pilot is only going to be getting heat from their own body and the seat at this point. Space will insulate them pretty well but if the coolant sucks away their heat they might have problems.

Dude, haven't you been paying attention? Thermodynamics is LosTech.

(translation: 'Stop trying to make the science work, it doesn't. Just run with it.')

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder if we're going to see any hilarious vehicles in the future, or even on the next mission. Something like the J-27 Ordinance Transport.

Edit: Speaking of strange things, is there any particular reason why making a 20 ton clan mech with maximum efficient ferro fibrous armor, a 200 rating XL engine, Endo-steel frame and 10 ER Small lasers is a bad idea for a build? Or did SSW glitch out somewhere and make a non-tournament legal mech.

Edit2: Aside from it being extremely cheesy that is. Edit Again: Oh. And I guess I can pop MASC on there if I remove a heatsink, meaning I'd be gaining 2 heat every turn at the most if I alpha-struck. And the mech could move 20 hexes if it got lucky. And I didn't break the laws of physics.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 7, 2011

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

(translation: 'Stop trying to make the science work, it doesn't. Just run with it.')

Pretty much. Same thing with 'mech Stackpoling (fusion reactors exploding like nukes). Some aspects of BT tech are actually somewhat believable, but others just aren't. It was never meant to be an "hardcore science" game.
And I was wondering why, after not having followed the thread for a couple of days, the post count skyrocketed!
So, nay-sayers, what do you think of the "they can't be as terrifying as they make them out to be" Elementals now?* :smug:
*I'm sorry, I really am, but I just couldn't resist

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

evilmiera posted:

Edit: Speaking of strange things, is there any particular reason why making a 20 ton clan mech with maximum efficient ferro fibrous armor, a 200 rating XL engine, Endo-steel frame and 10 ER Small lasers is a bad idea for a build? Or did SSW glitch out somewhere and make a non-tournament legal mech.

Edit2: Aside from it being extremely cheesy that is. Edit Again: Oh. And I guess I can pop MASC on there if I remove a heatsink, meaning I'd be gaining 2 heat every turn at the most if I alpha-struck. And the mech could move 20 hexes if it got lucky. And I didn't break the laws of physics.
The clans already had that idea.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.

radintorov posted:

So, nay-sayers, what do you think of the "they can't be as terrifying as they make them out to be" Elementals now?* :smug:

They make me want to punch someone in the face. And I'm not even the one fighting them.

...Is that the INTENDED effect?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Helter Skelter posted:

The clans already had that idea.

They even refined the design.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

One would think nobody with a self-preservation instinct would ever be an elemental, what with the atrociously high turnover rate.

Still lower than that of normal infantry, at a slightly higher cost. Elementals are also quite cheap to produce--at least for the Clans, and can effectively destroy other Clan 'Mechs at minimal cost. To the Clans, they're pretty much the perfect unit: cheap (five lives and something like 2-million c-bills, compared to one and seventeen million for a Clan omni), allow good warriors to shine, and reasonably mobile.

Plus, they have several interesting flavors: like napalm and mini-autocannon and streak SRMs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

:barf: You would not wear a leather flight jacket in a Battlemech. You would die. Also, with no neurohelmet, you're just going to fall flat on your rear end the moment you try to take a step.
Actually it's possible to pilot them, it's just really really really difficult and anything fancier than "move forward SLOWLY" will often result in faceplants.

MJ12 posted:

The IS has no practical way of making use of Clan genetic engineering to grow their own soldiers, and they were looking for every combat edge they could get around the 3050s-3060s. Enter old Star League technology. In the Star League, there were techniques used to impregnate human muscle fiber with myomers to restore mobility to crippled individuals.
This was actually in use in the 3020's. See: Candace Liao.

Longinus00 posted:

They even refined the design.
Then they refined it MORE.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

radintorov posted:

*I'm sorry, I really am, but I just couldn't resist

I already answered this, but I'll repeat myself for your sake, since you seem to have missed it. :)

W.T. Fits posted:

I, for one, am unimpressed.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the damage they're capable of doing and what they've already pulled off. But let's face it; one of the main reasons they're doing so well is because this is the exact kind of scenario Elementals were meant to shine in. The conditions are optimized for them to swarm from surprise and their ability to focus damage on parts and cause a breach due to lack of atmosphere makes them far more deadly than if we were fighting on the surface of a planet.

The fact of the matter is no matter what you face in a game of BattleTech, your pilots risk the destruction of their mechs, or even death. If I were afraid of either of those things, I would never have signed up for a chance to be a pilot. I'm no more terrified of these tiny men than I am of getting headshotted by a lucky ER-PPC shot. Clantech is bullshit no matter which way you slice it, and I refuse to be scared of bullshit. Pissed off at it, perhaps, but not scared of it.

I'm not pleased with how things have turned out so far, but I refuse to back down now. So bring on the tiny men. If they desire a glorious death in battle, I shall be more than happy to accommodate them. :black101:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually it's possible to pilot them, it's just really really really difficult and anything fancier than "move forward SLOWLY" will often result in faceplants.
This was actually in use in the 3020's. See: Candace Liao.

Speaking of which, removing 3 small lasers and fiddling around slightly with the design results in the mech now having 5 points of jump jets. Can't for the life of me figure out what crazy pilot would dare use the thing though.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Cripes, a fast light with an Erpsie? That's terrifying, assuming it's sinked enough to use it frequently.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...Is that the INTENDED effect?
It's Clan-tech. It almost always makes you want to punch someone for it existing.

W.T. Fits posted:

I already answered this, but I'll repeat myself for your sake, since you seem to have missed it. :)
I did miss it indeed. Now, I could try countering your your argument, but the only thing I can come up with right now is a comparison involving an Urbanmech, and I agree with your point. And kicking and punching those things is an activity I wholeheartedly endorse. :tipshat:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you get the:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

radintorov posted:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you get the:

I accept this accolade with all the gravity and serious the situation calls for.

:toot:

On that note, I was faced with a difficult decision at this point - back off for a moment and play it safe; or do something crazy and stupid that'll probably wind up killing me.

Orders sent. :black101:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

SageNytell posted:

You need all those double heats on account of the the pilot.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

TildeATH posted:

:stare:

I am greatly disturbed by this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TildeATH posted:

Mystery solved.

But seriously, that continues to be one of the funniest weird fan-art things to come out of this thread.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dolash posted:

Mystery solved.

But seriously, that continues to be one of the funniest weird fan-art things to come out of this thread.

I think that the Crab scuttling away has it beat, but it is pretty hilarious.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

Mystery solved.

I left it with a stock paint job so that Pimpmust can, well, you know.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Actually, if you're facing the dark area of space heat loss by radiation can be really impressive. Go to the desert at night and line a hole with aluminum foil, and you can make waterbottles explode by radiating heat into a cold sky.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TildeATH posted:

That design looks dangerously hot, will need some more heatsinks... but where?

Oh right, there.

:colbert:

e: A slight improvement, I think.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 7, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You seem to be under the impression he's driving a Hauptmann, the nigh-unkillable pride of the LCAF.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pimpmust posted:

The Guillotine IIC, everyone.

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 7, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rivensteel posted:

Cripes, a fast light with an Erpsie? That's terrifying, assuming it's sinked enough to use it frequently.
It has 10 doubles. At that engagement range it can use it all the drat time.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 7, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

TildeATH posted:

The Guillotine IIC, everyone.

:aaaaa: This fight is a lost cause if that's what we're facing.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Defiance Industries posted:

You seem to be under the impression he's driving a Hauptmann, the nigh-unkillable pride of the LCAF.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

Actually, if you're facing the dark area of space heat loss by radiation can be really impressive. Go to the desert at night and line a hole with aluminum foil, and you can make waterbottles explode by radiating heat into a cold sky.

That relies on having air to carry the heat away (convection) not actually radiation of heat. In fact a water bottle is an absolutely terrible radiator.

Radiation is a pretty strict and easy to calculate value for any given amount of energy and given radiator so we should just assume that mech heatsinks, like mech armor, are made of mst3kium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Nevets posted:

Voted five, went hog wild.

• Locked thread