Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evoq
Jul 2, 2007

SheepNameKiller posted:

You should reread the readmes for ambient temp and unified HUD project, it involves more than just activating the ESP and you need to make manual changes to your HUD .xml files in order to get the new elements to display.

I remember changing the XMLs and still not getting any HUD mods to work with DUI, although they worked when the first ones came out a while ago. I said gently caress it and gave up, since its not that big of a deal, but Ill take another look and see if I just missed something this time around, cause Primary Needs is really kinda handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anybody know if it's easy to integrate the armoury into FOOK?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

dog kisser posted:

So this is really awkward to ask, but I don't really know a better way - does anyone know how to script conversations with NPCs/would said person like to help me? I'm the dude who made the Coyote Reflex armor a while back and I want to give it one final update before I finish it off for good. I have a fairly decent idea what I want to do with it, I just lack the skills (and, frankly) time to learn how to use the dialogue system. It's not a complicated task, I just have no idea where to start. Any takers?
I've got a fair bit of experience playing with dialogue, so I'm happy to help. Where're you running into problems?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

TescoBag posted:

Define integrate? Short answer is probably yes, but tedious.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

TescoBag posted:

If by "integrate" you mean "use them both", the two should play nicely together. FOOK can't change anything in The Armory, and the Armory doesn't change anything outside of itself, except for levelled lists, and those are changed through scripts so that multiple mods will play nice.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone using the NVSE version of ST Perks and Traits? I took Fear the Reaper (gain one perk per level, lose a shitload of health when you level up) to counteract Project Nevada's default per per two levels, because I felt kind of guilty changing it without penalties. Anyway, it wasn't working, so I opened it up, and the scripts weren't even being used by the trait's effect. I fixed that, but now it works, but stops working after a while. I don't know if it's a conflict with PN, or if the script just sucks.

Anyone else had issues with any of the perks or traits in that particular pack?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've got a fair bit of experience playing with dialogue, so I'm happy to help. Where're you running into problems?

I just got home from work and haven't had a chance to look at the tutorials others posted earlier, but pretty much my problem is the very basic 'I have an NPC made, how do I give him branching dialogue' issue. I've tried to reverse engineer from looking at other shop keepers and the like, but there's something fundamental missing in my thought process about it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Male Man posted:

If by "integrate" you mean "use them both", the two should play nicely together. FOOK can't change anything in The Armory, and the Armory doesn't change anything outside of itself, except for levelled lists, and those are changed through scripts so that multiple mods will play nice.

This is what I meant, much appreciated!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

dog kisser posted:

I just got home from work and haven't had a chance to look at the tutorials others posted earlier, but pretty much my problem is the very basic 'I have an NPC made, how do I give him branching dialogue' issue. I've tried to reverse engineer from looking at other shop keepers and the like, but there's something fundamental missing in my thought process about it.

The short version from memory is NPCs need to "have" a topic in order to show it. What this means in practice IIRC you basically add all the topics you've made to the "Add Topic" list (or something similar) of the NPC's GREETING then what you want for him to actually display in the "Choices Topic". The "Top Level" checkbox has some weird behavior but one of the things it does is cause a certain topic to always show up on any level of the dialogue tree. Or that was a bug I don't remember, but you shouldn't need to mess with it I don't think.

And similarly to go from there you would add various topics to the choices to create the dialogue tree.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mr. Crow posted:

The short version from memory is NPCs need to "have" a topic in order to show it. What this means in practice IIRC you basically add all the topics you've made to the "Add Topic" list (or something similar) of the NPC's GREETING then what you want for him to actually display in the "Choices Topic". The "Top Level" checkbox has some weird behavior but one of the things it does is cause a certain topic to always show up on any level of the dialogue tree. Or that was a bug I don't remember, but you shouldn't need to mess with it I don't think.

And similarly to go from there you would add various topics to the choices to create the dialogue tree.
I've not hit any problems with Top Level?

Basically just make a quest for the dialogue, conditionalise it on GetIsID YourNPC (so the dialogue only shows on your NPC), then start adding topics- a root and two branches. The 'root' should have Top Level flagged so it shows up by default. Create a new info, then write whatever, then in the Choices box for that info select your two branches. Then you can make infos for those branches that further branch, you can have them link back to earlier branches, whatever. If you want to add a new top level topic later, you can use the AddTopic box to do it.

When the player visits a topic the game goes down the list of infos in that topic from first to last and displays the first one to meet all the conditions- so if your topic is called "Here's 10 Stimpacks", you could have the first info be conditionalised on GetItemCount Stimpack < 10, have it be "Not enough!", then have the next info be conditionless- as if it fails the first check (i.e. the player has >9 stims) it'll automatically go to the second one.

N.b. though, conditions run on the speaking actor by default, so to change them to run on the PC you need to alter them from Run on Subject (i.e. speaker) to Run on Target (i.e. person being spoken to).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've not hit any problems with Top Level?

Basically just make a quest for the dialogue, conditionalise it on GetIsID YourNPC (so the dialogue only shows on your NPC), then start adding topics- a root and two branches. The 'root' should have Top Level flagged so it shows up by default. Create a new info, then write whatever, then in the Choices box for that info select your two branches. Then you can make infos for those branches that further branch, you can have them link back to earlier branches, whatever. If you want to add a new top level topic later, you can use the AddTopic box to do it.

When the player visits a topic the game goes down the list of infos in that topic from first to last and displays the first one to meet all the conditions- so if your topic is called "Here's 10 Stimpacks", you could have the first info be conditionalised on GetItemCount Stimpack < 10, have it be "Not enough!", then have the next info be conditionless- as if it fails the first check (i.e. the player has >9 stims) it'll automatically go to the second one.

N.b. though, conditions run on the speaking actor by default, so to change them to run on the PC you need to alter them from Run on Subject (i.e. speaker) to Run on Target (i.e. person being spoken to).

Well I remember when I was making my house mod I kept having one certain set of topics constantly viewable on every topic (on that NPC), despite other conditions. And I vaguely recalled it being related to "Top Level" but I could be wrong, maybe I was adding the topics incorrectly at the time. In any event I eventually got it all working correctly so v:shobon:v

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Hey modding thread, could you recommend any good landscape texture mods?

After coming back to New Vegas from The Witcher 2 they are hurting my eyes :(

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

The best thing you can do is download a DoF mod like http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35615

As good as some of the texture mods for new vegas are, none of them are going to make the landscape much more beautiful than it is currently. There's just way too much clipping and way too little detail. The best thing to do IMO is just blur that poo poo so that you can't notice it as much. However, here are a couple of ways to make the engine's shortcomings just a little bit less obvious:

I use the detailed normals texture pack. Some people on the last few pages aren't a fan of how "bumpy" the 1.7 version is but I use it and don't have a problem with it. You could also just use the 1.5 or 1.6 versions in the old files category if it bothers you.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38196

And if you want that little bit of an extra high def touch to things, you can use this mod, which requires detailed normals.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38800

As an alternative, NMC texture pack overhauls (nearly) all of the textures used by new vegas. This is a MUCH BIGGER overhaul than detailed normals and will require more system resources to run correctly. NV is not designed to handle huge texture packs like this, so don't be surprised if the program itself bottlenecks your system and causes memory crashes. If you go this route you absolutely NEED to LAA enable your NV .exe in order to stand a chance of not crashing every 15 minutes.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35645

LAA patch: http://nvse.silverlock.org/beta/fnv4gb_nvse.zip

To use: open up FOMM, go into settings and use this executable to launch the program.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Does anyone know what typically causes textures to flicker? Quarry junction seems to skip between displaying its correct ground textures and displaying the molerat skin texture ad nauseum depending on where I'm standing and what direction I'm looking. I tried deleting all of my landscape texture folders to see if I downloaded a bad texture and it didn't fix the problem. The only areas affected seem to be a couple of areas around Jacobstown and all of Quarry Junction, so it's not gamebreaking, but it's still annoying when passing through those areas.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Probably Z-buffer conflicts between surfaces which were set at the exact same location. In other words, the graphics card doesn't know which one goes in front of the other, so it flickers. I assume that's what you mean, and I'm pretty sure it happens even in the unmodded game, it's the result of bad terrain modeling/implementation. It could also be a result of using a small Z-buffer on account of memory restrictions, but a bigger buffer wouldn't necessarily solve it completely.

If you're seeing a molerat skin texture, that's not a normal terrain texture (I think), that's pretty weird!

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

SheepNameKiller posted:

Does anyone know what typically causes textures to flicker? Quarry junction seems to skip between displaying its correct ground textures and displaying the molerat skin texture ad nauseum depending on where I'm standing and what direction I'm looking. I tried deleting all of my landscape texture folders to see if I downloaded a bad texture and it didn't fix the problem. The only areas affected seem to be a couple of areas around Jacobstown and all of Quarry Junction, so it's not gamebreaking, but it's still annoying when passing through those areas.

I think quarry junction is just a bad spot for that - I was getting deathclaws myself for a while, along with some metal textures from the machinery in the area. I do seem to recall the vanilla game having a dead molerat or two by the nest.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Positronic Spleen posted:

Probably Z-buffer conflicts between surfaces which were set at the exact same location. In other words, the graphics card doesn't know which one goes in front of the other, so it flickers. I assume that's what you mean, and I'm pretty sure it happens even in the unmodded game, it's the result of bad terrain modeling/implementation. It could also be a result of using a small Z-buffer on account of memory restrictions, but a bigger buffer wouldn't necessarily solve it completely.

If you're seeing a molerat skin texture, that's not a normal terrain texture (I think), that's pretty weird!

This. The even more dumbed down version is you have two textures sitting on top of each other. Although having a molerat skin texture is kind of odd...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
That tends to happen when something's missing a texture or has the wrong path to one and can't find one, so it just seems to pick one at random from the loaded list. Anything that edits the landscape models could be causing it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Talkie Toaster posted:

That tends to happen when something's missing a texture or has the wrong path to one and can't find one, so it just seems to pick one at random from the loaded list. Anything that edits the landscape models could be causing it.

Thanks, I'll check out my mesh folders and any mods I have that might alter the ground in this area and see if I can pin down the missing texture. I know my way around my data files pretty well but it's fairly likely that I deleted something I shouldn't have.

on the subject of NV DLC: is it possible to replay dead money just by deactivating it, cleaning my savegame and reactivating? will this break something if I even attempt it? I missed a bunch of story information and a snowglobe my first time through apparently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Check your video card temperatures.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Talkie Toaster posted:

Most likely this. Gamebyro draws in surrounding textures when there's something missing which explains the molerat texture.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Just started..

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Talkie Toaster posted:

Ah, I see. When I messed up character skins this one time they turned purple, I assumed it would be the same.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Arenovalis posted:

Just started..

Oh sweet Christ almighty thank you. That's the only gun in the game that I couldn't stomach using because of how horrible it looked.

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Arenovalis posted:

Just started..

YEEEESSSSS!!! Fantastic.

You sir, are an artist and a gentleman.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah lol the original one was probably the worst looking gun in the game, along with the Varmint Rifle.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Anyone know their way around sounds? I've been doing up someone's FO3 tesla weapons mod to stick into Playing with Firepower, but weirdly the looping attack sound they include for the Tesla Minigun doesn't work in New Vegas. They've got the same bitrate, codec etc. as the regular Minigun sounds- the only thing that differs is the length (4.866s vs 4.178s for the Minigun). The regular and Tesla sounds are uploaded here if anyone would mind taking a crack at them to see what's up.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Have you tried putting the file into data/sound/fx as opposed to data/sound?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also, out of curiosity, why would ^^^^ change anything?

Talkie Toaster posted:

Anyone know their way around sounds? I've been doing up someone's FO3 tesla weapons mod to stick into Playing with Firepower, but weirdly the looping attack sound they include for the Tesla Minigun doesn't work in New Vegas. They've got the same bitrate, codec etc. as the regular Minigun sounds- the only thing that differs is the length (4.866s vs 4.178s for the Minigun). The regular and Tesla sounds are uploaded here if anyone would mind taking a crack at them to see what's up.

Try converting them to .ogg

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Whew. Just got done reading the entire thread over a couple of days.

Just want to say thanks to the folks who helped me in the Fallout 3 thread as I am PC illiterate. I have actually managed to retain some and have successfully modded this game, which I just bought for PC over the weekend. I'm running Warzones, Increased Spawns, Nevada Skies, Electro-City, Wasteland Defense, Realtime Settler, World of Pain, and a bunch of other mods. This game is so much more stable for me than modded Fallout 3. Warzones + IWS on the Hardest difficulty is INSANE. Good thing I also have the backpacks mod so I can carry all my spoils of war.

At any rate, are the two official expansions worth a download? I'm worried about ruining the good thing I have going if they're going to conflict with my existing mods and give me a headache trying to get things back together. This game is just running so well for me.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

SheepNameKiller posted:

Have you tried putting the file into data/sound/fx as opposed to data/sound?
Welp, I thought I knew all the retarded quirks of the GECK but it's the gift that keeps in giving. Thanks, that fixed it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Arenovalis posted:

Just started..

Been holding my breath for this a long time. Thanks for doing it.

I hope you'll do brush gun too while you're working on the originals again :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Arenovalis posted:

Just started..

First the ton of Saint's Row 3 footage and pictures, now this. gently caress yes.

Fewd posted:

Been holding my breath for this a long time. Thanks for doing it.

I hope you'll do brush gun too while you're working on the originals again :shobon:

The brush gun's barrel is honestly scary to look at. .45-70 and it looks like pitted to hell pot metal :gonk:

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42278

released it

Arenovalis fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 9, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Also, out of curiosity, why would ^^^^ change anything?

I honestly have no idea, it's just one of those things that doesn't have a reason.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Boosted_C5 posted:

At any rate, are the two official expansions worth a download? I'm worried about ruining the good thing I have going if they're going to conflict with my existing mods and give me a headache trying to get things back together. This game is just running so well for me.

Personally I consider Nevada Skies and Dead Money to be incompatible, but that's because the funky atmosphere+lighting tweaks from the mod = way too dark(only in the Dead Money area), but I think the DLCs are pretty safe to add otherwise.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dynamic Quantity Prompt

Just downloaded this. Great mod that allows the scroll-wheel in menu prompts, and makes buying and selling easier (ctrl+click buys/sells 1 item, shift+click to select multiple items).

He also linked to a new version of NVSE that they still haven't linked to yet on their main site: http://nvse.silverlock.org/beta/nvse_2_beta4.zip

*Edit*

Other good mods that I'm finding:

Darker nights mod that is fully compatible with all weather mods. It just adds an option in-game to adjust nights to your liking.

Barter Repair Let's the barter skill influence repair rates from people. Sounds like it needs some adjustments to the values though. I'll probably just tweak them myself and reupload it.

Musicpack for FNV - Replaces the ambient music in the game with professional quality music that fits pretty well IMO.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2011

UberTom
Nov 22, 2009

Looks really good, but should the scope glass be so pearlescent? Contrast looks a bit high.

Apart from that superb. Especially the wood.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Did the Nexus sites just get hacked or something? I'm getting spam from people that want to meet me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

natlampe posted:

Did the Nexus sites just get hacked or something? I'm getting spam from people that want to meet me.

Someone's feeling anti-social today.