Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm about to start Ghost Recon. Any tips?

Original? Generally how it works is your AI buddies are bad at moving into an enemy's LOS, but they can overwatch well. So if you're assaulting a position, you generally want to set up the AI guys up in overwatch (switching over to their squad to precisely position them if need be) and then you move in yourself with them watching your back. The enemies are quite accurate and usually one-shot you so you want to be leaning a lot. There is a quick save in-mission, unlike the early Rainbows - I used it. Each mission has a "special objective" that unlocks you an additional squad member - these guys carry much better weapons than the grunts so you definitely want to do them. The only last thing is that I liked to bring two anti-tank guys, not just one The anti-tank guys use a decent carbine, so you aren't losing much shooting power, and it sucks when the combat team that doesn't have the anti-tank guy is the one that runs into a tank, so they have to take cover while you haul the AT guy's squad over from wherever they are. But you should experiment and find what you like. Good luck, it's a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

adamarama posted:

I just noticed I have Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit on Steam. Don't know when I got it but looks interesting. Seems like quite an unusual game though, any advice before diving in?

As soon as you think to yourself "this poo poo is loving stupid", stop playing the game because it's only going downhill from there. The beginning is really good though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm about to start Ghost Recon. Any tips?

To piggy back off of this, I picked up Advance Warfighter 1 & 2 off steam for cheap on the recent sale - any tips for those? I started 2 on easy, skipped the tutorial, fumbled with the controls, got shot in the head by a mexican and died in one hit so I'm guessing this game actually requires strategy.

Should I start with the first game before I play the second?

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

senae posted:

I don't think I even knew hidden blade counters were a thing, and I beat it (not 100% though because gently caress that). I know I used the short blade everywhere, because it was better in just about every way then the long sword.

The PC Version has far more variety in the sidequests, rather then the same 4 each time you start a new memory, so you might not have to take all the "SIDEQUESTS ARE TERRIBLE" warnings to heart. I liked them, at least.

And the best use of the counter grab is getting on top of a building and throwing all the guards in the city to their doom. I spent half an hour doing this once, and it was the best time.

Yeah, that's one of the first things I did. Standing on a tall building and tossing men over the side is hilarious. I've assassinated the first 3 guys, is that generally all there is? Going to a city, completing the necessary mini-quests for info, and then assassinating the final guy? I'm using a health trainer as well, just because I'm terrible at action games, and it makes it much less of a chore.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

particle409 posted:

Yeah, that's one of the first things I did. Standing on a tall building and tossing men over the side is hilarious. I've assassinated the first 3 guys, is that generally all there is? Going to a city, completing the necessary mini-quests for info, and then assassinating the final guy?

Sadly, yes. That's the game. The entire fun of the game is the assassinations and throwing random guards off roofs. Don't let yourself get tired of that, it's pretty much what kept me going. Also the promise that AC2 is awesome.

Like we said, don't bother with anything else. The extra investigation missions especially; there is NO reward, achievement, or anything for them. At least the flags have an achievement for them. The only reward for doing all missions is a better understanding on how to stylishly kill your target, and there's really no reason why you can't do it yourself or just slaughter everyone in the room and kill your target head on.

Keep at it, you'll love AC2 and the dredge of AC1 will not ruin it.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
I was always interested in playing Neverwinter Nights and I was bored so I bought the diamond edition off gog. There wasn't anything on the wiki, so any tips?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Erdos posted:

I was always interested in playing Neverwinter Nights and I was bored so I bought the diamond edition off gog. There wasn't anything on the wiki, so any tips?

Skip the original campaign, because it's boring. Play the Shadows of Undrentide campaign and then Hordes of the Underdark. You can use a single character for both, which I really recommend. I don't know about the rest of the content in the Diamond Edition, but I believe those are standalone campaigns.

Should you import your character into HotU after finishing SoU, you'll have all your gear stolen in the very beginning of the HotU campaign. Near the end of the first act you'll find a chest which contains your stolen possessions. This is one of the few chests in NWN which has items spanning multiple pages. So don't be a fool like me and assume you only get a fraction of your gear back and move on... loot the entire chest!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 7, 2011

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

Skip the original campaign, because it's boring.

Can't be stressed enough. The single-player campaign is so rote, mechanical, predictable, and repetitive that by the time you hit chapter 2 you'll be furious with the lack of creativity that went into it. By chapter 4 you'll start to question whether you even enjoy playing this game.

But yeah, the expansions are where its at.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Astfgl posted:

Can't be stressed enough. The single-player campaign is so rote, mechanical, predictable, and repetitive that by the time you hit chapter 2 you'll be furious with the lack of creativity that went into it. By chapter 4 you'll start to question whether you even enjoy playing this game.

I was at that point by chapter 2, and when the game bugged out and erased a plot-critical NPC from existence I opted to uninstall the game rather than restart the chapter.

NWN's original campaign is never worth it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

To piggy back off of this, I picked up Advance Warfighter 1 & 2 off steam for cheap on the recent sale - any tips for those? I started 2 on easy, skipped the tutorial, fumbled with the controls, got shot in the head by a mexican and died in one hit so I'm guessing this game actually requires strategy.

Should I start with the first game before I play the second?

I'd recommend that. The second part is by no means bad, but it doesn't offer that much over the first one and is a tad harder on top of that. I think that the campaign in the first one was more fun as well.

As was already said, consider your guys to be backup mostly. Have them watch your flanks and back while you push the advance. After you secured the area have them move up and repeat. Learn to love the overview-map, I've found it to be much more reliable than ordering the guys around in first person. This probably goes without saying, but whenever you have access to a drone have it recon everything before you move forward, though keep in mind that it cannot see people inside buildings.

For the loadout, I've found the Scar-L (or whatever it was called) most effective since it's generally able to drop enemies in two hits and is pretty accurate as well, though don't let that keep you from trying them all out. You haven't played GRAW until you destroyed an enemy position by power-sliding around a corner emptying your G18 into them.
Also don't bother giving the bots the sniper rifle, they aren't all that accurate even against stationary targets and an assault rifle will work just as well in 90% of cases.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mierenneuker posted:

Skip the original campaign, because it's boring. Play the Shadows of Undrentide campaign and then Hordes of the Underdark.
Quite frankly I would not bother with Shadows of Undrentide unless you absolutely must get the extra XP. Honestly, I think the OC is actually more worthwhile (as drawn out and run-off-the-mill as it is); SoU is badly programmed - there's a part which will slow down your PC to a crawl if you stay there long enough -, has very little in the way of plot or roleplaying, is littered with annoying dungeons and enemies, and the endgame is exasperating and unrewarding. Apart from one particular NPC/henchman, who is pretty entertaining, it's just no fun at all.

EDIT: I wouldn't worry much about the equipment either. HotU's basically littered with great stuff, so you won't be missing out on much I think.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 7, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

To be honest, my advice would to be skip NWN entirely and play any or all of the following, depending on what exactly you're after:
  • Fallout 1 or 2
  • Planescape Torment
  • Arcanum
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Alpha Protocol
  • NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ToxicFrog posted:

To be honest, my advice would to be skip NWN entirely and play any or all of the following, depending on what exactly you're after:
  • Fallout 1 or 2
  • Planescape Torment
  • Arcanum
  • Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Alpha Protocol
  • NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer
I'm not sure if AP really belongs on a list of pretty hardcore party-based and stat-heavy RPGs.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series definitely do, however.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Like I said, it depends on what you're looking for. PST for story, AP for reactivity, FO1/2, Arcanum, or MotB for a good story/combat balance, ToEE or Icewind Dale for combat. Yeah, AP plays very differently from everything else on that list, but I figure if I'm listing good RPGs it deserves a mention (and, like PST, it's not the combat parts of the gameplay that you're there for).

Regardless of whether you're after combat, story, or both, there is no circumstance in which I would recommend Baldur's Gate (1, anyways; I haven't played 2).

E: to expand on the above:
  • if the attraction is creating a party of asskickers and getting your teeth into some tactical combat and all those D&D stats, spells, and feats, Icewind Dale or ToEE are what to play.
  • if the attraction is characters, storyline, and setting, with combat of secondary importance, check out Planescape Torment
  • if you still don't really care about the combat, but what turns your crank is instead playing around with your character's dialogue, actions and personality and seeing how other characters and the storyline change in response, Alpha Protocol puts everything else to shame (although, unlike everything else in the list, the combat sections handle like a third-person shooter rather than an isometric tabletop game)
  • if you want something with a nice balance between these, Fallout 1 and 2 strike that balance perfectly; Arcanum is noticeably less polished but still fun (and has an interesting Tolkien-gets-run-over-by-a-steam-engine setting)

NWN falls in the first category (combat-focused), but the original campaign is worse than either IWD or ToEE.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 7, 2011

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Alpha protocol belongs in any list of games worth playing. Any tips for red faction guerilla?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

EDIT: I wouldn't worry much about the equipment either. HotU's basically littered with great stuff, so you won't be missing out on much I think.

Holy Avenger but only if you're a paladin and the +5 gear in HotU quickly outstrip it.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Alpha protocol belongs in any list of games worth playing. Any tips for red faction guerilla?

Play it on easy. Normally I play my games on the hardest difficulty but you're quickly swarmed in combat which makes the exploration annoying even on medium difficulty. The game is really straight forward but gets repetitive fast if yo try to do everything at once. Play at your leisure but if you're getting bored push on with the main story.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Guy above me nailed most of it. You aren't here for the combat. Rather, you're here to destroy every piece of Martian infrastructure in existence. Storyline missions are mostly a pacing system to open up new regions of Mars; side missions are mostly a way of prodding you towards areas you might not otherwise visit and funding your detpack habit.

For me it falls in the same bucket as Just Cause 2: it's a sandbox rear end in a top hat physics simulator, everything else is incidental.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chief Savage Man posted:

If you're playing on PC there's a few tweaks out there, most notably one that makes your explosives have a bigger explosion. It's not game-breaking or anything, just makes it less annoying as I felt the original radius was rather small.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Wiki doesn't seem to be working...

Any tips on Deadspace 2?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kid Moe posted:

Wiki doesn't seem to be working...

Any tips on Deadspace 2?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dead_Space_2

Anything I need to know for Dead Nation? Me and some friends all picked it up from Welcome Back for some mindless co-op. Seems like it's just a shallower Alien Swarm.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Erdos posted:

You already know not to play the original campaign. After you finish the expansions I recommend visiting http://nwvault.ign.com/ and browse the user-generated content. There are some really enjoyable modules people have made. The site is kind of difficult to navigate, but if you explore a little bit you should be able to find some cool poo poo. It's been a long time and I can't remember a lot of them, but Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate and Honor Among Thieves stand out as exceptional ones.

Also, the beginning of Hordes of the Underdark can be daunting and/or boring but it is worth plowing through (if you happen to feel that way about it).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Chief Savage Man posted:

Guns are usually terrible. The only non-hammer weapons really worth a drat are the rocket launcher, shotgun, thermobaric rocket, and the Gutter -- that big tribal spear thing.

You may say to yourself "why would I waste a weapon slot on the Gutter when it just recreates what the Hammer does?"

The answers: 1) Because the guns are poo poo, 2) Because you'll probably kill more people with melee and detpacks than all other weapons combined, and 3) If you're going really heavy on melee, might as well get the best weapon for it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Guns are usually terrible. The only non-hammer weapons really worth a drat are the rocket launcher, shotgun, thermobaric rocket, and the Gutter -- that big tribal spear thing.

You may say to yourself "why would I waste a weapon slot on the Gutter when it just recreates what the Hammer does?"

The answers: 1) Because the guns are poo poo, 2) Because you'll probably kill more people with melee and detpacks than all other weapons combined, and 3) If you're going really heavy on melee, might as well get the best weapon for it.

The nano-rifle is useful for pinpoint accuracy, mega damage, and it helps destroy buildings pretty well.

The rocket launcher is indeed useful, because it's a loving rocket launcher and when has that not been useful? The thermobaric is more fun than useful since, iirc, you only get like 1-2. Might be good in a pinch, but, eh, I'd rather have normal rockets.

The lightning thinger is useful in any mission involving enemies in tanks. It will fry the person inside the tank without damaging the tank itself, so that you can hijack said tank and wreck havoc with it. There are at least two story missions where this is useful, one of which is the last one.

I liked the assault rifle since there was a good supply of ammo for it and it was a pretty respectable long range weapon. The shotgun is less useful in that regard, since at close range you have your hammer and/or mines.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

GrandpaPants posted:

The nano-rifle is useful for pinpoint accuracy, mega damage, and it helps destroy buildings pretty well.

The rocket launcher is indeed useful, because it's a loving rocket launcher and when has that not been useful? The thermobaric is more fun than useful since, iirc, you only get like 1-2. Might be good in a pinch, but, eh, I'd rather have normal rockets.

The lightning thinger is useful in any mission involving enemies in tanks. It will fry the person inside the tank without damaging the tank itself, so that you can hijack said tank and wreck havoc with it. There are at least two story missions where this is useful, one of which is the last one.

I liked the assault rifle since there was a good supply of ammo for it and it was a pretty respectable long range weapon. The shotgun is less useful in that regard, since at close range you have your hammer and/or mines.

Yeah I usually rolled assault rifle, nano rifle, det packs. Det packs do 90% of the work, assault rifle to kill a particularly annoying soldier, nano rifle to finish off teetering buildings.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I know it's soon and there's an official thread (which I'm avoiding due to spoilers), but anything on L.A. Noire ?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just updated the OP with the current Wiki link. Sorry I didn't catch it sooner.

Also while I'm here… Anyone want to help me with Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines or really any of the series?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

schwein11 posted:

I know it's soon and there's an official thread (which I'm avoiding due to spoilers), but anything on L.A. Noire ?

You can bump up your rating by turning off audio cues and scene skip in the options.

I like going through the cases with all audio cues and music fade turned off. THat really gives it more of a "real game" than it is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gaggins posted:

You already know not to play the original campaign. After you finish the expansions I recommend visiting http://nwvault.ign.com/ and browse the user-generated content. There are some really enjoyable modules people have made. The site is kind of difficult to navigate, but if you explore a little bit you should be able to find some cool poo poo. It's been a long time and I can't remember a lot of them, but Ravenloft: Beyond the Gate and Honor Among Thieves stand out as exceptional ones.

This. As with all user-generated content, 90% of it is pure poo poo, but since IGN alone has thousands upon thousands of works, that works out to many dozens of good modules.

If you want to try a funny one, try this. Yes, it looks horrible at first glance, but it's actually pretty good.

Also, try the editor yourself, it's pretty user-friendly. The terrain editor in particular is so easy to use, you'll be making lush countrysides in minutes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As possibly the only person to have enjoyed the NWN2 main campaign, I can still say that it's absolutely essential to skip the NWN1 main campaign. It cannot be stressed how dull and uninspired it is.

At least NWN2 had that castle.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

Also while I'm here… Anyone want to help me with Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines or really any of the series?

I'm playing that right now, actually. Bought it and played it years ago, then bought the whole Steam pack during Christmas for like 3 bucks. Never did get far in it before, but I'll try to help.

- Quick save after every successful kill (i.e you're sure that they won't find the body)

- The Sapper's bear trap placed on the Green Beret's noise generator is a perfect combination.

- Sometimes leaving a body is a good idea. A soldier will usually run over to investigate, and will stand there staring at the body for several seconds before sounding the alarm, giving you ample time to stab him.

- The Sniper has the least health. Be careful with him. Also, his rifle makes noise, probably as much as the pistol.

- It takes 3 pistol shots to kill a soldier, so try to have at least 3 Commandos grouped together fire at the same time to kill a soldier instantly.

- You can probably take out a patrol of no more than 3 men with pistols without dying if the sound doesn't give you away.

- Enemies notice when you use the bolt cutters to cut through a fence. They may not shout anything, but after staring at the hole for awhile they will sound the alarm.

- The Diver can take out two man patrols by backstabbing the rear soldier and using the "J" hotkey to quickly switch to the harpoon gun and kill the other one.

- In mission 4, after you hijack the tank, kill the guard across the train track bridge. Enemies will come to inspect his body, allowing you to mow them down as well. You can clear out a good portion of enemies that way.

- You will on rare occasions have room to blow up the enemy barracks and still have enough explosives to clear a mission.

- The Spy's lethal injection must always be applied from behind.

- The medkit is pretty much useless. 99% of the time, if you're being shot at, just reload. You're probably hosed anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you're playing on PC there's a few tweaks out there, most notably one that makes your explosives have a bigger explosion. It's not game-breaking or anything, just makes it less annoying as I felt the original radius was rather small.
I would like to know where exactly. Particularly if you can add the micro missile launcher from the DLC.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

schwein11 posted:

Do the street missions, it's a great way to level up early in the game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh poo poo right the nano rifle. I normally rolled Gutter, Nano Rifle and Rockets. Swapped out for Thermos depending on the mission.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OilSlick posted:

- The Sniper has the least health. Be careful with him. Also, his rifle makes noise, probably as much as the pistol.

Good advice, but the bolded bit is just wrong. The rifle is completely silent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Scalding Coffee posted:

I would like to know where exactly. Particularly if you can add the micro missile launcher from the DLC.

I used this. I know nothing of this missile launcher though

You can pick which mods to use.

Mod list posted:

This archive also contains the following mods:
- Explosive Pistol Bullets (based on tutorial from obliviousonion)
- Free Upgrades
- Freeroam Mode (no story missions, all zones and safehouses unlocked at start)
- God Mode
- Increased Reconstructor Range
- No Startup Logo
- Player Character Settings
- Safehouse Vehicle Selector
- Singleplayer Reconstructor (by Gibbed)
- SP Building Collapse
- Stronger Remote Charges
- Unlimited Ammo
- Wrecking Crew Maps for Multiplayer (by NBtX)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

scamtank posted:

Good advice, but the bolded bit is just wrong. The rifle is completely silent.

Nope. I've fired it at nothing and sounded the alarm.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OilSlick posted:

Nope. I've fired it at nothing and sounded the alarm.

Then the manual lies, my memory is faulty and the sound effects are misleading. Another case of "I could've sworn", then. :shobon:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

schwein11 posted:

- During interrogation, you can back out of a lie accusation as long as you don't choose evidence to present. This can be handy just to see which direction Cole will take on a topic, which isn't always intuitively obvious.
- Using an intuition point to eliminate an answer will also pare down the possible evidence you can present in the 'lie' option.
- Don't get too caught up in getting everything 'right' (i.e. blowing an interrogation and quitting before a save). You won't fail, and even if there was significant evidence to be had, the game will give it to you another way. Sometimes the interactions when you fail are just as interesting as when you succeed.
- If you don't like the driving, you can press triangle (or whatever the 360 equivalent is) and have your partner drive. You'll still get the dialogue, but you'll warp to the location afterwards.
- Keep your eye out for newspapers -- they can seem like just another collectible, but they are fairly crucial to the story. I'm a little surprised they put so much of the story into something you can potentially miss, actually.
- You'll know you've found all the clues in a scene if the music disappears (assuming you have that option on).

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

To be honest, my advice would to be skip NWN entirely.

The second expansion Hordes of the Underdark has a pretty awesome campaign story. If you're more Planescape Torment than Dragon Age like I am, then I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr.Success posted:

The second expansion Hordes of the Underdark has a pretty awesome campaign story. If you're more Planescape Torment than Dragon Age like I am, then I highly recommend it.

I never even tried HotU, after trying NWN proper. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time I'm in an RPGing mood.

And after I finish Alpha Protocol for the third time. :v: