Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

magnetbox posted:

All except the pointing Sargent are:

Prime black
Undercoat Iyanden Yellow
Wash with gryphone sepia
Layer on a mix of equal parts Iyanden and Golden yellow

More in-depth here: http://sigismunds.blogspot.com/2010/08/painting-imperial-fists-part-2-mid-coat.html

Oh poo poo I've actually read the entirety of your blog when looking for yellow recipes one day :aaaaa:

Your stuff looks great and I was going to use a variation of your recipe, swapping out the GS for Badab Black for better contrast and exploiting Iyanden Darksun's great coverage. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Has anyone seen a Tyranid Swarmlord conversion using a Trygon torso? I've scanned the internet for a while and haven't seen one yet. Are they incompatible or have I just missed it somehow? When I start into making the 'lord I want to make it a bit bulkier than a regular Tyrant and I thought that might be a good way to do it.

If you have seen a conversion with it, please post it so I can see if it looks as cool as I hope it is. :)

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Done with my Swamp Gobbers. Spent way more time on these than is reasonable but I got inspired. The want to dress just like their role models, Calaban and Barnabas :3:

No Calaban yet, but here's the grunt posing with Barney for comparison.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Saw some Finecast in person today. It didn't look awful, and I couldn't see any problems with the few the FLGS had, but the stuff in boxes worried me, given the QC issues so far. Goddamn, they're snazzy, though. I look forward to a Finecast Dark Elf Hydra kit.

Luckily, I found some Grey Seers in pewter, so I've got another awesome chunk of metal for my burgeoning army. ohmigod, there's a tiny rat sitting on the end of his staff :3:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Arlaharen posted:

Done with my Swamp Gobbers. Spent way more time on these than is reasonable but I got inspired. The want to dress just like their role models, Calaban and Barnabas :3:

What grey do you use for your front arcs? I like the subtle look of that compared to a lot of other bases here.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

Airbrush Trip Report:

Picked up the Harbor Freight Airbrush/compressor combo for $80. I got all my mini's primed and ready to go, mixed up some paint, but it was a bit too thin and was pooling. Added some more paint and boy did it work like a champ. I thinned with windex and the color matches exactly with stuff I had just painted on.

It got clogged, cleaned it up but didn't put the guard cap back on and couldn't figure out for the life of my why it wasn't running. Put that back on after having dumped the paint out and was spraying isopropyl-alcohol just fine, so hopefully I've got the kinks worked out.

I'm pretty excited about it, I may actually have a painted army thanks to this thing.

So far I've found a 1:1 mix of windex:paint is usually good enough to get an even spray with vallejo paint. Plus if you have the cash vallejo makes paint for airbrushes.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

So far I've found a 1:1 mix of windex:paint is usually good enough to get an even spray with vallejo paint. Plus if you have the cash vallejo makes paint for airbrushes.

I'm using mordian blue, which is a foundation paint so I'm just shoring for a milk consistency.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, I've started replacing/adding to my set of Citadel paints. The local store convinced me to try Vallejo paints and holy crap are they amazing. I've heard very mixed opinions about their metallics though, are they as good as the basic paints?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Add a drop of drying retarder to your mix, it'll mean the paint takes longer to dry on the model, but you will cut down the build up on the needle drastically.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Pierzak posted:

So, I've started replacing/adding to my set of Citadel paints. The local store convinced me to try Vallejo paints and holy crap are they amazing. I've heard very mixed opinions about their metallics though, are they as good as the basic paints?

I hate the vallejo metallics.
They are straight up dogshit. P3 metallics aren't much better sadly.
In fact, besides the foundations I mentioned, and their washes, I would really only recommend citadel for metallics.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Manifest posted:

I hate the vallejo metallics.
They are straight up dogshit. P3 metallics aren't much better sadly.
In fact, besides the foundations I mentioned, and their washes, I would really only recommend citadel for metallics.

Whose washes? Citadel's? I'm really disappointed with the new ones. What's the current equivalent of the old Flesh Wash, BTW?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 8, 2011

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Vallejo Air metallics are pretty good.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Add a drop of drying retarder to your mix, it'll mean the paint takes longer to dry on the model, but you will cut down the build up on the needle drastically.

You have an example you could link? The only hobby stores really around are Michaels and Hobby Lobby, so not really sure how much of this stuff they carry. poo poo, hobby lobby might have even been blown away in the tornado, not sure now that I think about it.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Prefect Six posted:

You have an example you could link? The only hobby stores really around are Michaels and Hobby Lobby, so not really sure how much of this stuff they carry. poo poo, hobby lobby might have even been blown away in the tornado, not sure now that I think about it.

Try looking for liquitex slow dry

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I use Vallejo Retarder Medium.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Arlaharen posted:

Yesssss

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Doubleposting dontgive a fuckkkk cuz heres some WIPS

(some blur sorry)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Loving the rust effect on the bases.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

(some blur sorry)

I love the bases :]

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
PV how'd you do the worn metal edges?

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

PaintVagrant posted:

(some blur sorry)

This is a great looking model. Me likey.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

(some blur sorry)

Atrocious waste of talent...

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Those bases really are awesome. The orange/grey worked out perfectly.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Hey. it's PV painted models! Haven't seen that in a while. Looking awesome as always.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Although I hate to post near Paint Vagrant models:

CROSS POST GOOOOO!
I have been busy as poo poo!
River board update: WHATUP MR. BRIDGE

Komondor Circle Army - Feral Warpwolf WIP:

River board should be done soon, just need to finish the road, paint that and then drybrush. I am going to add some stands of reeds in the corners of the river as well.

Komondor conversions take a shitload of time, that is two hours of making cords right there. I reckon I have 2-3 hours remaining at least on that one Feral. Then there is second Feral, Pureblood, Stalker, 2x Argus *might skip* and Laris.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
imgur protip: add an l before the .jpg to reduce the image size down to standard posting size:

River board update: WHATUP MR. BRIDGE

Komondor Circle Army - Feral Warpwolf WIP:

cool river btw, I need to make one eventually

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Pierzak posted:

Whose washes? Citadel's? I'm really disappointed with the new ones. What's the current equivalent of the old Flesh Wash, BTW?

Asurmen Blue and Gryphonne Sepia both rule.
P3 does a flesh wash that's really close to the old GW one.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Devlan Mud posted:

What grey do you use for your front arcs? I like the subtle look of that compared to a lot of other bases here.

It's a very dark green, Cryx Bane Base.

PaintVagrant posted:

(some blur sorry)

These are delicious. Makes me want to pick up some warhams.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

magnetbox posted:

Some Imperial Fists in various stages of doneness.
Those are amazing, but I'll just go ahead and say gently caress that super glue. gently caress it. Never had a bottle of it that wasn't constantly sealing itself up even after properly cleaning it after use, and it was all I could get in any appreciable quantity for relatively cheap way back when. :mad:

Now I use Instant Krazy Glue. Not only is it useful for making minis, but if you cut yourself, you can seal the cut instantly as well because this poo poo bonds skin like that. Comes with a needle plug to stick in the end and the container forms a makeshift stand to keep it upright. :haw:

Bonds: wood, metal, ceramics, pottery, rubber, vinyl, leather, plastic, your loving fingers together

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Those are amazing, but I'll just go ahead and say gently caress that super glue. gently caress it. Never had a bottle of it that wasn't constantly sealing itself up even after properly cleaning it after use, and it was all I could get in any appreciable quantity for relatively cheap way back when. :mad:

Now I use Instant Krazy Glue. Not only is it useful for making minis, but if you cut yourself, you can seal the cut instantly as well because this poo poo bonds skin like that. Comes with a needle plug to stick in the end and the container forms a makeshift stand to keep it upright. :haw:

Bonds: wood, metal, ceramics, pottery, rubber, vinyl, leather, plastic, your loving fingers together

When I can't use plastic cement I use this stuff, works like a charm although whats amazing about it is that it also comes in a bottle with a brush like nail polish, so much easier to use than the crap in the toothpaste tube containers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've been really impressed with the Gorilla Glue brand of superglue, particularly since it has a metal pin in the cap that prevents clogging. And it's fairly inexpensive.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Ezekiel_980 posted:

When I can't use plastic cement I use this stuff, works like a charm although whats amazing about it is that it also comes in a bottle with a brush like nail polish, so much easier to use than the crap in the toothpaste tube containers.

I used the Krazy Glue brush on stuff a while ago, and it was easily one of the best/most easily applicable glue I've used. When I ran out I tried Loctite's brush-on, which was absolutely terrible. I think it ended up drying out after the brush glued solid and the tube clogged.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Here is my little regimental command squad I've been practicing sculpting with all together and, for the most part, done.

clock wise from top left: female master of the fleet, commander McBadass, Power Sarge, bodyguard, and medic.

The bodyguard (waiting on a laspistol hand) and medic came out with the best proportions of the group. I'm going to wait until I can find some Fimo and some real tools rather than a sewing needle and hobby knife before I start on anymore. Overall I feel that they turned out alright for a first try.

Are there any other go tutorials for working with green stuff/sculpting full figures than the ones linking in the OP?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

You're wrong. Insta cure is the best poo poo ever and it never seals itself up. Krazy glue is for huffing and/or fixing a "world's best grandpa" mug. Gap filling or go home.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

When I can't use plastic cement I use this stuff...

I ALWAYS can't use plastic cement.

:colbert:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Finally got my tutorial for gatorskin up on Handcannon online for those interested.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I ALWAYS can't use plastic cement.

:colbert:

Sorry for my ignorance but what are you playing/painting where plastic cement isn't an option?

And came home early from work to find an airbrush waiting for me, although I won't have time to dick around with it until tonight is diluted down Vallejo primer ok to use in one? I was thinking 50:50 Primer:Isopropyl alcohol.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Sorry for my ignorance but what are you playing/painting where plastic cement isn't an option?

And came home early from work to find an airbrush waiting for me, although I won't have time to dick around with it until tonight is diluted down Vallejo primer ok to use in one? I was thinking 50:50 Primer:Isopropyl alcohol.

what kind of primer are we talking about? Because vallejo makes airbrush primer

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Either he's allergic to some of the compounds in plastic cement, or he's one of those guys that likes to use the superglue + freezer trick in case he wants to repose his guys you know, a pussy :smug:.

In all seriousness, the latter isn't an entirely bad option (especially if you buy second-hand Hams coated in glue like a glazed donut).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Arlaharen posted:

Finally got my tutorial for gatorskin up on Handcannon online for those interested.

Brilliant, thanks!!! We need more of these suckas from the good painters.

• Locked thread