Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So as a Gold Premier member, if I order on the 21st (as the promotion appears to allow us to do), could I expect to receive my phone with instant upgrade rebate before the weekend? I ask because I am flying out for a business conference that coming Monday, and it would suck to have to wait to get back home for a week to get my new phone.

Plus, being able to show off the new 3D gimmick would be kind of neat.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Last June, I used my wife's upgrade to get my EVO and she's not the primary line on the account. Is there any way to make her the primary account and get the extended premier gold upgrade or should I just stick with my plan of getting a new phone on eBay?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

What's the story with using my Airave's upgrade for a phone? Does Sprint allow that and will there be any unexpected surprises if I do?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Last June, I used my wife's upgrade to get my EVO and she's not the primary line on the account. Is there any way to make her the primary account and get the extended premier gold upgrade or should I just stick with my plan of getting a new phone on eBay?

You used to be able to use an upgrade on a different line by switching the numbers on the line. I think that you can still technically do this, but they don't allow you to redeem the rebate. But, you might have found a loophole with the instant rebate promotion going on right now. It's worth a shot.

pragan4 posted:

What's the story with using my Airave's upgrade for a phone? Does Sprint allow that and will there be any unexpected surprises if I do?

No way sprint would allow this. Plus, if you are like me and 95% of airrave users, the airrave has been comped by sprint retentions and is free anyway. It's too much like exploiting an already generous thing.

I got curious and tried it out anyway. The only chance of getting it to work would be through an automatic system (like online shopping) or a 3rd party, and the first step is where you'd get shot down. You'd have to call Sprint to change the airrave line into a voice line and they would realize what you are doing and block it from the word go.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 7, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If it did work, I don't think you can time it correctly. Changes to the primary line take a billing cycle to change, or at least they did back when I changed the primary line on my account 2 years ago.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The Motorola XPRT Worldphone is on Sprint for $129, Amazon for $99.

Looks solid, but I have to wonder about rooting capabilities. Isn't it just a retooled Droid Pro?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

900ftjesus posted:

If it did work, I don't think you can time it correctly. Changes to the primary line take a billing cycle to change, or at least they did back when I changed the primary line on my account 2 years ago.

Well then I wish I'd thought of this a month ago. Oh well, I should probably wait to see how the Within does before buying a new phone anyway.

edit: especially considering supposedly Samsung gave an SGS2 to a CM dev.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

Looks solid, but I have to wonder about rooting capabilities. Isn't it just a retooled Droid Pro?

How are Motorola phones now? Do they have a better reputation?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

ShowTime posted:

No way sprint would allow this. Plus, if you are like me and 95% of airrave users, the airrave has been comped by sprint retentions and is free anyway. It's too much like exploiting an already generous thing.

I got curious and tried it out anyway. The only chance of getting it to work would be through an automatic system (like online shopping) or a 3rd party, and the first step is where you'd get shot down. You'd have to call Sprint to change the airrave line into a voice line and they would realize what you are doing and block it from the word go.

I've upgraded a line through Best Buy using the upgrade on another line, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work through them or Amazon but I was just wondering if there would be any nasty surprises later once Sprint figures out what happened. You're probably right that it'd be taking advantage of Sprint's generosity, though, so next question:

Have any silver premier members gotten Sprint to give them a yearly upgrade credit? I probably won't get anything until the Photon or Within come out, but it would be nice to get it taken care of now so I know it's there.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Matlock posted:

I'm considering it...I think it should get ridiculous battery life (for an Android phone) with the smaller screen/resolution, yet the same size battery as the Evo 3D.

CharlesM posted:

Man I wish the HTC Arrive wasn't $200. :( My Touch Pro is now officially broken and I don't think it's worth repairing once more.

It's $99 on Amazon Wireless.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pragan4 posted:

Duckman sez: I do recommend avoiding using the "upgrade eligibility" on the Microcell line to get you a new phone, its a bit taboo for Sprint and risks opening a can of worms at some point.

Sounds to me like--even if it happens too infrequently for them to have put checks in their automated systems to stop it--if anyone ever took a close look at your account, you'd be in violation of some small print somewhere and get hosed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Few things:
-Smartphones have no data caps. Neither does tethering off a smartphone. Only aircards and tablets.

-Using an airrave to get an upgrade is kind of lame, even if it works.

-premier customers in general are both silver and gold, so I could be wrong but it looks like both should be able to get the early 3D order.

New sprint leak: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/06/leaked-sprint-roadmap-outs-lg-optimus-slider-and-blackberry-torc/&category=mobile&postPage=1

This is basically a snapshot of the sprint upcoming devices spreadsheet which even 3rd party dealers see, so it is pretty accurate. New blackberrys and an upgraded optimus.

Mahoning posted:

For the time being.

Bad news: instant rebates end on the 23rd.

Instant rebates have also been extended about 4 times now. No guarantee they will again of course, but if your numbers have gone up like my store numbers are, I am hoping sprint has an incentive to keep them. I don't think I could go back to the hosed up ness of mail in rebates :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Stevie Lee posted:

It's $99 on Amazon Wireless.

yeah but I have a SERO account so I don't think I can go that route. If I'm wrong let me know!

Here's a working link to that leaked roadmap.
http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/06/leaked-sprint-roadmap-outs-lg-optimus-slider-and-blackberry-torc/

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Hey Duckman, can you please check the PM I sent you? I'm sure you've just been busy and haven't seen it yet, thanks!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Anyone have any experiences with the speed at which they received their online phone order?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

a shameful boehner posted:

Anyone have any experiences with the speed at which they received their online phone order?

They overnight, so if you order before 3 or 4 pm you get it the next day.

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

My Nexus S was not overnighted, but shipped ground - took "2" days, ordered Sunday, received Wednesday.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

School cell store orders directly from the sprint warehouse, so they aren't sure if they're going to have the 3d in stock. I hope it doesn't sell out by the 27th or I'm gonna be pissed :argh:

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Duckman2008 posted:

-Using an airrave to get an upgrade is kind of lame, even if it works.

I have a Transform. If I can use my airrave's upgrade to get out of this piece of poo poo, I will.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ahahahahah oh my god. I put a little piece of tape under my battery and my Touch Pro is fixed. I can't believe I didn't try that before. It doesn't even look like the battery is loose but I guess the contacts are bad or something.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

CharlesM posted:

Ahahahahah oh my god. I put a little piece of tape under my battery and my Touch Pro is fixed. I can't believe I didn't try that before. It doesn't even look like the battery is loose but I guess the contacts are bad or something.

Just because the battery is working doesn't mean it's fixed. Sorry, guy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Apparently corporate stores doing pre-orders for the EVO 3D are jumping the gun a little, according to a manager I spoke to today. I guess phone allotment for each store is a set number, so they're supposed to wait until they know that quantity before they start selling pre-orders, to avoid overselling and pissing people off on launch.

He said they should be finding out on the 13th the quantity they're receiving in the first shipment, and took my info to let me know when they know.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Just because the battery is working doesn't mean it's fixed. Sorry, guy.

It does not randomly shut off when knocked anymore. The problem turned out to be the battery. It would shut off if you tap it hard enough. I guess the contacts are worn or something.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

CharlesM posted:

It does not randomly shut off when knocked anymore. The problem turned out to be the battery. It would shut off if you tap it hard enough. I guess the contacts are worn or something.

I was just implying that it's a really lovely phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Hey Duckman, can you please check the PM I sent you? I'm sure you've just been busy and haven't seen it yet, thanks!

Will be checking it tomorrow, I've been out of town and the awful app doesnt do PMs yet :-)

echo465 posted:

I have a Transform. If I can use my airrave's upgrade to get out of this piece of poo poo, I will.

Say no more, do what must be done!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

echo465 posted:

Try it and post the results, please. I'm curious to know how far you get.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I was just implying that it's a really lovely phone.

I thought maybe you were but tone is difficult to tell over the internet sometimes.

Vermillion
May 22, 2002
I've seen a few people in this thread that seem to be in the same boat as me, but I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution.

I signed up with Sprint a year ago, for the release of the EVO. My plan was expensive enough that I expected to be able to get a fully-subsidized upgrade right around now. Of course, now that I am "silver" premier, I have lost my upgrade, and they are only offering me a $75 credit.

Is there a way to get the upgrade I was promised when I signed up? Maybe a useful email address or something I can write to?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Will be checking it tomorrow, I've been out of town and the awful app doesnt do PMs yet :-)

No worries, was just hoping you didn't forget about me. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vermillion posted:

I've seen a few people in this thread that seem to be in the same boat as me, but I'm not sure if anyone has found a solution.

I signed up with Sprint a year ago, for the release of the EVO. My plan was expensive enough that I expected to be able to get a fully-subsidized upgrade right around now. Of course, now that I am "silver" premier, I have lost my upgrade, and they are only offering me a $75 credit.

Is there a way to get the upgrade I was promised when I signed up? Maybe a useful email address or something I can write to?

If you got it in June assuming you do not have a spending limit you definitely should qualify for the Sprint Premier Silver Override. In regular terms, "hey we are going to give you one last yearly upgrade!"

The Override goes for people who got phones in May and June, no idea if it will get extended for people who got phones in July. Personally I kinda doubt it. On the flip side, just call the retentions number when your year is up and they may take care of it anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There is also a thread on the sprintusers.com forums.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

CharlesM posted:

I thought maybe you were but tone is difficult to tell over the internet sometimes.

Seriously, just get a free Optimus or Epic and you will be blown away. I went from a Touch Pro to an Epic and OMG there's a world of difference.

Vermillion
May 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice, guys. I just sent a PM to Art in the Sprintusers.com thread - hopefully he can set me up. I'll give him a week before I start exploring other avenues.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vermillion posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just sent a PM to Art in the Sprintusers.com thread - hopefully he can set me up. I'll give him a week before I start exploring other avenues.

Can you post a link to the thread please? I quickly looked through a few of the forums and didn't see it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Good news everyone! Evo 3D is up for preorder on Amazon for $179.

CharlesM posted:

How are Motorola phones now? Do they have a better reputation?

From what I've heard, the Droid Pro/XPRT is good (albeit the dev community is lackluster)

Matlock fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 8, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Matlock posted:

Is it possible to do this with an EPRP upgrade? None of the plan selections make any sense for me to pick.

mtr
May 15, 2008
In preparation for the Evo 3D launch, I'm going to sell my Evo on craigslist or Ebay. I know the obvious step of deleting my SD card and reverting the phone back to factory settings, but for some reason I think I remember reading (maybe in this thread) that there is some code I should look up/erase/change so that whoever gets my phone has no chance of doing anything with my Sprint account.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've googled around and websites just say "revert it to factory settings", but I feel like there's one more step to be completely safe.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Matlock posted:

From what I've heard, the Droid Pro/XPRT is good (albeit the dev community is lackluster)

Yea this isn't working for me. I keep getting told there is something wrong with the service options, but all the service options are right.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
For anyone wondering about Premier upgrade eligibility after dropping down to silver, I just got some answers from a Sprint chat. We need to call Telesales at 877-746-8249 to have someone manually reset the eligibility date, then we're free to buy whatever we want at the discount pricing. I got confirmation that I would be able to get the EVO 3D for $199.99. I can post the contents of the chat log if anyone wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Matlock posted:

Will this carry over any discounts applied to the plan? I've got that credit union one from forever ago that I'd like to keep.

Also, it looks like I can only do one phone, and I'd like to do two - both lines are eligible for upgrades. Can I do this without placing two orders?