Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

PlasticSun posted:

I like that jacket, what make/model is it?

nm - RS Taichi / Brooklyn

Nope, It's a Vanson Comet http://www.vansonleathers.com/prod-CC-577.aspx Yeah the guy modeling is absolutely terrible. Mine has broken in quite nicely and it's a great fit. Best part were the rebates out at the time, I got it for close to 60% off.

I think you should just go to the local cycle gear and take a look around. Don't be afraid to try on woman's suits as I found some that fit perfectly on me. Here's my friend's vanson and she happens to be a girl who rides.

She's 5'7" and super slim for reference.

I don't know where else to tell you to go look although I've sometimes found some a couple jackets I'd wear off scooter apparel websites. Here's what I found off revzilla.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-solare-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsheer-prodigy-mesh-jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/product/powertrip-ram-air-jacket

Find your local REV'IT and RS Taichi dealer as well. Just try it on and see if it fits. I think that should be the priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

SaucyPants posted:

Could you tell me what you think of it? how loud is it? I love the design of it and am contemplating getting one but if I am going to spend that much money on a helmet I would like to have more than just style over my current helmet.

Check out the reviews of these sorts of helmets of webbikeworld or whatever the name of that site is. They really sperg out on their helmet reviews. The fact of the matter is that if you want a really nice helmet and have a normal head you really can't beat Arai/Shoei. I prefer Shoei because they tend to be a bit cheaper and the visor change isn't retarded. I've had my Shoei longer than probably they say you should own a helmet, but I've not had any degradation to the liner or any reason to replace it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

SaucyPants posted:

hate to be promoting Fieldsheer again, but these are cheap and stylish. I can't comment on the fit though the sizing is right on the website.

http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2010/ff/productspage/crossroadjacket.htm
http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2010/ff/productspage/supersportjacket.htm
http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2010/ff/productspage/prodigyjacket.htm

Could you tell me what you think of it? how loud is it? I love the design of it and am contemplating getting one but if I am going to spend that much money on a helmet I would like to have more than just style over my current helmet.

I really couldn't tell you since I have no perspective when it comes to full face helmets.

I bought it cause it looked wild and was better than the helmet I'm currently using as far as safety goes.

Both look strange and they match my weird bike. I can tell you that I really like it, sound is good as far as I can tell. The limited ed black I have came with a mirror visor which is great for day not so much for night. The one thats attached when shipping is the one pictured and thats plenty good.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

titanium posted:

Your bike makes me :awesome:

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

titanium posted:

I really couldn't tell you since I have no perspective when it comes to full face helmets.

I bought it cause it looked wild and was better than the helmet I'm currently using as far as safety goes.

Both look strange and they match my weird bike. I can tell you that I really like it, sound is good as far as I can tell. The limited ed black I have came with a mirror visor which is great for day not so much for night. The one thats attached when shipping is the one pictured and thats plenty good.

I'll pick one up then. Also you have the coolest bike I have ever seen. is that a modified TW200?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
.. why does it have a fleshlight as an exhaust?:ohdear:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

KARMA! posted:

At least it's the 'nondescript' one instead of a mouth or an anus.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

At least it's the 'nondescript' one instead of a mouth or an anus.

how do you know these things

It's a supertrapp you dirty minded heathens :mad:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

EvilCrayon posted:

Here's my summer riding outfit minus the gloves.

Those the flannel lined IH634s? Nice.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Yep, they're awesome when riding. I can ride through rain without getting wet although the knees get a little damp. They feel like I'm wearing pajamas all day too.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

Hmm, no I don't really like any of those either. I guess I'll just suck it up and get something I hate that's at least cheap.

I have a DriRider Scenic jacket in size 38s, and I'm 6'1 and I weigh 150 pounds.

I had the same problem you were having, this is the only jacket I found that fits well. Its still a bit small around the biceps but thats just cause I have no muscle.

It isn't very well vented, but is fine once you are moving. Safety over comfort, really.

It is an Australian company though, so it might be hard to source depending where you are from.

http://i.imgur.com/c4jBX.jpg

edit: Damnit, thanks for making me put on my jacket, now I want to go for a ride. I'm way overdue for one :smith:

Don Music fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 9, 2011

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

KARMA! posted:

Hahah i noticed that after i uploaded it, really weird lighting is playing trick with the end cap of the Supertrapp. I'd put the aluminum supertrapp branded piece back on but it doesn't normally looks like a dick insertion tube.

Edit: Yeah its a modded TW200

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

Hmm, no I don't really like any of those either. I guess I'll just suck it up and get something I hate that's at least cheap.

How about this? http://www.gogogearla.com/pages/Men's-Jackets.html

I don't know if it is out yet though.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick
What I want, but really don't NEED for new gear is a new set riding pants and a cafe-racer leather jacket.

Jacket kinda like this:
http://www.riverroadgear.com/Apparel/VintageCollection/HoodlumJacket.html
But with actual CE protection built-in. I LOVE the look of this jacket and would buy it in a heartbeat if it were not for the fact that it has zero armor.

And pants kinda like a pair of Carhartts, but lined with kevlar or some similar non-abrasive. I recently picked up this set of pants which fit the style and coloring department, but are only partially lined. I want a full liner, if possible. Think Draggin Jeans if they ever made a tan color.

Any suggestions for either?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SpannerX posted:

How about this? http://www.gogogearla.com/pages/Men%27s-Jackets.html

I don't know if it is out yet though.

Yes, I love that jacket and hope to get one when they're available, but my problem is that I'm looking for a summer jacket. That one looks like it would get hot.

Ghostpilots posted:

Jacket kinda like this:
But with actual CE protection built-in. I LOVE the look of this jacket and would buy it in a heartbeat if it were not for the fact that it has zero armor.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, but textile/mesh.

Ghostpilots posted:

And pants kinda like a pair of Carhartts, but lined with kevlar or some similar non-abrasive. I recently picked up this set of pants which fit the style and coloring department, but are only partially lined. I want a full liner, if possible. Think Draggin Jeans if they ever made a tan color.

I'm in the same boat here, as well. I've been meaning to actually get a pair of draggin jeans and see if they're better than the Cortech cargos. Somebody in the crash thread here went down in a pair of those and one of the legs apparently tore right off on impact.

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 13, 2011

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Does this count as bike gear?

I have a bum knee and often have to resort to a cane. Since I have a cafe style seat and no pillion, finding a comfortable way to carry it on my bike is a pain.

I finally found a collapsible cane that wasn't an over-priced piece of poo poo. It is thick-walled aluminum, well built, modular and is rated for a whopping 500lbs. My only gripe was that the handle was sucky.

I have an old t-handle shifter I used to have in my car. I talked with a biker buddy of mine and he said, "Send it to me..." A week later, I have a custom adapter for my t-handle. Add a few stickers from shops that various friends and acquaintances own and... Voila!

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
If anybody is interested, there's a Dainese Roma for sale in my area for $150. size medium. I can't find too much information on it except that scooter owners love it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

I have a bum knee and often have to resort to a cane. Since I have a cafe style seat and no pillion, finding a comfortable way to carry it on my bike is a pain.

I finally found a collapsible cane that wasn't an over-priced piece of poo poo. It is thick-walled aluminum, well built, modular and is rated for a whopping 500lbs. My only gripe was that the handle was sucky.

I have an old t-handle shifter I used to have in my car. I talked with a biker buddy of mine and he said, "Send it to me..." A week later, I have a custom adapter for my t-handle. Add a few stickers from shops that various friends and acquaintances own and... Voila!

I'm not sure if it counts, but it definitely owns.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

DILLIGAF posted:

I knew I recognized that cane! It looks badass. Really badass.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

DILLIGAF posted:

loving awesome.

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
Thought I would add that my EXO-400 came in today and I love it. It took Canada's Motorcycle a little bit longer but it did show up and is a vast improvement over my old Vega Altura. Now to buy new gloves and rain gear....and maybe some new boots....and maybe some leathers so I can hit the tracks...and, oh dear I think I have a problem.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought an EXO-700 and so far have no complaints, except it is a bit on the heavy side, so hopefully it isn't a pain to wear for hours on end while riding. I'm going home this weekend to ride with my dad for father's day and then I'll be bringing my bike back up to Chicago. Pretty excited since this will be my first time out since getting my license.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

titanium posted:

Stuff that's so awesome.

Care to post any further impressions on the Roof Boxer? I read up on it a bit, and the big complaint that worries me is that the chin bar is only held down by a couple of snaps? Somebody posted on WBB saying that in a crash his chin bar actually flipped up on impact (although in the end the helmet did its job and he came out ok). There's also a lot of complaints about fogging.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Care to post any further impressions on the Roof Boxer? I read up on it a bit, and the big complaint that worries me is that the chin bar is only held down by a couple of snaps? Somebody posted on WBB saying that in a crash his chin bar actually flipped up on impact (although in the end the helmet did its job and he came out ok). There's also a lot of complaints about fogging.

I havent had any issue with it fogging up too much, specially not when riding. If i'm at a light stopped it'll fog up if its humid out. I just today relized that the nubs on the chinbar open up to let more air in if slid up so I dont see that being an issue. The visor doesnt have to go down all the way which leaves a little hole at the nose that breaths well which i've been doing before noticing the notches.

I know the older boxers were apparently shotty but the new V8 ones are supposed to have remedied all those. It's 2 snaps but they seem secure, obviously not as strong as a unibody full face but it seems sturdy. I love mine, I get lots of comments on it, and compared to my friends older mid grade AGV helmet its quieter and has more viewing angle but does seem to catch more wind. Keep in mind this thing isn't DOT approved, I live in MN and we're not a helmet law state and since the laws of physics apply the same in America as they do in France I'm fine trusting their governments certifications.

titanium fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 16, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, it's got Snell or something, right? Probably could get DOT if they wanted to, but without a sporty pattern or HD logo it wouldn't really sell in the states, so no reason to bother. We have helmet laws in MD, but I can't imagine any cop would ever actually write a ticket for that.

Basically my helmet covet is split between the B&W Boxer Graphic and the Bell Star Rally (B&W as well). Both are about the same price though, so I think the Bell Star wins out since it strikes me as much more protective and likely quieter & lighter.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So here's a small possibly silly question. Does the back hump on racier suits/jackets ever get in the way of a backpack, or is it not an issue as long you adjust your straps to fit?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Nah, not really a big deal. I wear a backpack every day and my jacket has a speed hump. I've worn regular old bookbags and motorcycle-specific backpacks and neither of them interfered.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I went to a Ducati shop today and sat on some very nice and very expensive hardware. I also tried on jackets. I have a suzuki, so I didn't really want to get any of the ducati-branded stuff, but the Rev'it Air jacket was really nice.

The only problem is that it fits super-tight around my bicep. Does anyone have any cure for this problem? It largely goes away when I'm sitting on that Multistrada 1200S, but the Bandit is a little bit more agressive in posture, and the arm pinched pretty bad when I was tucked over on the 898.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Was it leather? Sometimes well-fitting leather will be a bit tight at first, but will break-in over time.

Does anyone know of a decent rain suit that works? I almost ordered a tourmaster on closeout until I read reviews that said it just plain doesn't work in heavy rain. Same goes for those new frogg-togg suits.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
HTFU Brand :smug:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Hey I'm the baddest motherfucker there ever was but my new leather jacket might get all poopybutt if it's always getting soaked.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ghostpilots posted:

What I want, but really don't NEED for new gear is a new set riding pants and a cafe-racer leather jacket.

Jacket kinda like this:

That jacket should have the pockets for CE armor that you could buy or swap in from another jacket. I have a River Road jacket and it came with useless foam armor, I just swap the legit stuff that came in my Fieldsheer Hydro Tour and it fits perfect.

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004
I'm looking for a good jacket to handle the hot south Texas heat. Some of the hybrid leather/mesh jackets have piqued my interest, like this Rev'it one: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8019. Does anyone have any experience with these types of jackets? It seems with these, if I were to slide on my back or chest, it wouldn't really offer that much more protection than a regular mesh jacket. Should I just suck it up and get a good perforated leather jacket?

Also for those that missed out on the Scorpion Stinger, it seems like they've released a follow-up, the Eternity: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9866. I like the styling a bit more than the Stinger and the white is a drat good looking color.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

the chinaman posted:

I'm looking for a good jacket to handle the hot south Texas heat. Some of the hybrid leather/mesh jackets have piqued my interest, like this Rev'it one: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8019. Does anyone have any experience with these types of jackets? It seems with these, if I were to slide on my back or chest, it wouldn't really offer that much more protection than a regular mesh jacket. Should I just suck it up and get a good perforated leather jacket?

Also for those that missed out on the Scorpion Stinger, it seems like they've released a follow-up, the Eternity: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=9866. I like the styling a bit more than the Stinger and the white is a drat good looking color.

I have a white full mesh jacket I wear (Icon Hooligan 2), and even it got pretty warm in TX. Leather would be loving terrible.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I think I'd just get a regular mesh jacket instead of the leather/mesh hybrid. I'm in Central Texas, and use a full mesh jacket (Phoenix 5, from Joe Rocket), and I still sweat my balls off when not moving.

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004

Raven457 posted:

I think I'd just get a regular mesh jacket instead of the leather/mesh hybrid. I'm in Central Texas, and use a full mesh jacket (Phoenix 5, from Joe Rocket), and I still sweat my balls off when not moving.

Apparently the line between South and Central Texas is somewhere in between Austin and Pflugerville ;). I currently have been riding with a mesh jacket, but it's a bit a big baggy in the waist. I was hoping to upgrade to something fit a little better and offered a little more protection. Maybe I should just look for the first criteria. Have ya'll ever taken a tumble your mesh jackets?

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

Gnaghi posted:

Does anyone know of a decent rain suit that works? I almost ordered a tourmaster on closeout until I read reviews that said it just plain doesn't work in heavy rain. Same goes for those new frogg-togg suits.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/2_pc_suits/nelson_rigg/sr_6000_stormrider_rainsuit.html

I bought this Nelson-Rigg suit and I can testify that it doesn't let water intrude at all, even with the heavy Pacific Northwest poo poo that I have ridden through...without a windscreen.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

the chinaman posted:

Apparently the line between South and Central Texas is somewhere in between Austin and Pflugerville ;). I currently have been riding with a mesh jacket, but it's a bit a big baggy in the waist. I was hoping to upgrade to something fit a little better and offered a little more protection. Maybe I should just look for the first criteria. Have ya'll ever taken a tumble your mesh jackets?

hahaha, yeah, being stuck between a Rock and a Weird Place does strange things to one's sense of location ;)

My wife ran her bike off the road and highsided while wearing her Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and it held up really well. No tears or rips, no seam damage, and the only injury my wife received was a broken arm when she landed on it. I wouldn't expect it to have held up as well if she slid down the pavement, but I do feel confident that it would have prevented her from serious injury.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

NurSpec posted:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/2_pc_suits/nelson_rigg/sr_6000_stormrider_rainsuit.html

I bought this Nelson-Rigg suit and I can testify that it doesn't let water intrude at all, even with the heavy Pacific Northwest poo poo that I have ridden through...without a windscreen.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear and it's half the price of the ones that don't work too. Ordered it along with a tire plugger kit for those longer trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I bought an HJC Sy-Max II helmet from NewEnough last Fall, and really loved it. The flip-up design is great and it's a really nice helmet, and I had nothing but good things to say until today.

As a more minor note, the vent latch here also broke a few weeks ago, so it blocks some of the air intake and isn't possible to close.

By the way, none of this was the result of an accident or any sort of impact at all. I was sitting at a red light, and flipped the chin up to put my mp3 player away because it had started to rain. When I flipped the chin back down, it felt like it came down a little weird, and then I noticed the gap at the top of my face shield. Unfortunately, the light had turned green at that point, and I was getting on the interstate, so I couldn't really do much about it.

It wasn't until I got into the office and took the thing off that I realized the chin bar had completely detatched on one side. I can actually pull on it there and move it around. There is nothing holding it on to the helmet on that side, and in an impact I expect it would fly right off.

The good news is I'd been really coveting a couple new helmets anyways. I think I'll be going full-face from now on though.