Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Tostito posted:

Blogger or Wordpress? Which do you prefer and why? Seems to be hotly debated.

I think anything that's "hotly debated" is well beyond the scope of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Tostito posted:

Wordpress. Professional and infinitely customizable.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Tostito posted:

It's my understanding that Blogger is easier to get set up in a matter of (minutes/hours), and Wordpress is much, much more customizable. All of the most professional blogs that I've seen tend towards Wordpress over Blogger.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just got a pair of new shoes that for the most part, I really like. However, the backs of the shoes don't have any cushioning at all, so my heels rub right against the leather. Is there something I can buy that just adds a bit of softness for my heels? I tried Googling "padding for back of shoes", but the results seem to be for women in high heels or for dudes that get bunions. I just don't want my skin to rub n the back of the drat shoe.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Aggro posted:

I just got a pair of new shoes that for the most part, I really like. However, the backs of the shoes don't have any cushioning at all, so my heels rub right against the leather. Is there something I can buy that just adds a bit of softness for my heels? I tried Googling "padding for back of shoes", but the results seem to be for women in high heels or for dudes that get bunions. I just don't want my skin to rub n the back of the drat shoe.

All you need are those little moleskin pads. Cut them to size. They'll wear in with the shoe.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
What is a " small l liberaterian"?

I can't find a definition that makes any sense.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

isoprenaline posted:

With practically no understanding of any political spectrum, it is quite possibly shorthand for "I agree with many of their ideas, but don't lump me in with those crazy freaks the big L Libertarians."

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

isoprenaline posted:

Used correctly, "Libertarian" should be capitalized only when it's a proper noun/adjective, mostly likely referring to an organized political party of that name, analogous to "Democratic" or "Republican", e.g., "the Libertarian candidate for Congress", "the Libertarians met for a party convention". Lowercase "libertarian" refers more generally to a political philosophy rather than a specific institution, analogous to "liberal" or "conservative" -- "a history of libertarian thought", "a Republican congressman expressing libertarian views". (This distinction is often unnoticed by writers less familiar with the topic who frequently capitalize "Libertarian" even when it's not being used as a proper noun.)

A writer explicitly using the term "small-l libertarian" is just emphasizing that they refer to the latter; it's not really a label for a single distinct position. One might self-identify as a "small-l libertarian" to indicate that they do not belong to or support the Libertarian Party for any number of reasons -- whether they consider it too extreme, as suggested above, or too compromised, or simply mismanaged, or even because the speaker rejects electoral politics entirely.

Also note that the term "libertarian" has also been applied, especially in Europe, to a political philosophy substantially different from the laissez-faire ideas familiar to Americans, and can apply to other positions within non-political philosophy like metaphysics.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Aggro posted:

I just don't want my skin to rub n the back of the drat shoe.

If they're nice shoes, I'd take them to a shoe repair place and have a professional fix it.

Or wear thicker socks.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I'll take and post pics in a few hours, after sleep and when the sun is up. The thing is still alive in it's tiny buggy Guantanamo, and I'm going to dump it out outside, on white cardboard, since the Tupperware is frosted. And I'm going to scream while doing this because roaches give me the crawlies.

I live on the outskirts of Omaha, NE. We have a basement that is occupied by two people, and there is a full bathroom down there. I spend a lot of time down there, since it's super cool (the temperature, not :cool:) and there's a PS3 and wireless internet and blah blah. They sleep down there, and I have been crashing on their couch lately, once in a while, since stairs are becoming my enemy. We've looked in all the storage areas, under sinks, everywhere, and we haven't seen any bugs. Does this mean there's a seething mass of the motherfuckers living behind the shower or something? :gonk:

Sorry it took me so long to reply, life is busy and work/personal rhythms have put my 'evenings' at 3-7 AM Central time.

I appreciate the help! I will mail anyone that wants one a specimen*

*I'm totally not doing this. Except maybe for Fig Newton, for googling on behalf of my baby. I need to sleep before this post gets shittier.

Edit; It's a finished basement, and there isn't food flung all over. It's a very non-goony basement, other than the guy's wet towels all over the bathroom.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 8, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Where do you guys get your news from?

Ever since I've started to care about politics and realized how crap the 24 hours news channels/sites are I've been getting my news from HuffPo. I've come to dislike HuffPo for a few reasons, mainly the number of alternative medicine stuff they like to report on a lot. Are there better sources out there?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Ever since I've started to care about politics and realized how crap the 24 hours news channels/sites are I've been getting my news from HuffPo. I've come to dislike HuffPo for a few reasons, mainly the number of alternative medicine stuff they like to report on a lot. Are there better sources out there?

I mostly get it from facebook. This is not a good idea. Why not use the BBC or AP?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

http://english.aljazeera.net/
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/

Seem to be the most "goon approved" sources.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What is this weird seed stuff I just found on the wall? It was hardened into a little ball over those two little holes at the top of the picture. I unfortunately saw the ball on the wall first and didn't check the floor before I kinda popped it off, but there seems to be more on the floor than could've possibly been in the ball. It has the consistency of malt-o-meal hot cereal. Possibly relevant information: the apartment building was painted within the last week and we live in Los Angeles.

Linked for big: http://i.imgur.com/VVNWr.jpg

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Looks like termite poo poo

E: The little holes are basically toilets, they just push their waste out of them

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to "teach" a remote using a ir transmitter connected to a Win 7 computer? The only device that I can find on amazon doesn't have updated drivers.

I have a Harmony One, but it's overly complicated for my needs. I used it to train my Marantz receiver remote and that works fine, but I don't know how I'd reprogram it if the batteries died without the Harmony One (control an XBOX 360, PS3 and LG TV which doesn't work with the code in the book).

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 8, 2011

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Recently my usual barber shop closed down. So I decided, since I needed a haircut, to go to the new SportClips that opened up. They upgraded me free to an MVP cut, which was pretty awesome cause I love hot towels and poo poo, but I noticed they had an offer for a Double or Triple MVP. I can't find anything online about what the hell those are, or what's different from the usual one, so I figured I'd ask here to see if any of you guys have tried that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there free video editing software out there that supports .m2ts files? I know VirtualDub is Goon-approved, but it doesn't seem to support the format and I can't seem to find any plugins that allow it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Did one used to be able to view jpg exif info from a browser? I swear I used to do this all the time, No one had a digital camera last time I used IE but I've used phoenix then foxfire then firefox. Had to be one of those. Just tried today to look at exif with FF and chrome but nothing, have to have an exif add-on for either.

If I'm not completely imagining being able to do this (I've never had any addons except adblock) why'd they take it out?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Zite for iPad. It's like a news TiVo -- you can thumbs up/down articles or topics and it learns the topics you like. It pulls from many sources.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Fabulist posted:

We have a basement... there is a full bathroom down there.

Yah, "cool" and "damp"--two out of three basic prerequisites for waterbug habitat have been fulfilled, the other one being "food".

quote:

It's a finished basement, and there isn't food flung all over.

Yes, there is.

Two points:

1. Waterbugs don't necessarily eat people-food; it's the German cockroaches that specialize in protein-, fat-, and starch-based foods like dirty dishes, glue, soap. So it doesn't matter that you scrupulously clean up all dropped Cheetos; they aren't eating that.

2. What waterbugs do eat is decaying organic matter, and unless this basement is International Space Station metal-and-plastic-parts-only squeaky-clean, it has decaying organic matter in it. The pieces of wood lumber that hold the shower stall up, the paper on the gypsum wallboard, fibers from the bath towels and tiny bits of toilet paper that drift. Look around the basement and look for "what's not metal or plastic". That--rotting slowly (and it IS rotting slowly, it's a cool damp basement and there is also a bustling community of molds, mildews, and miscellaneous microorganisms down there, all ALSO busily chowing down on any organic matter present, because that's what they DO)--is what they're eating.

They don't eat much of it, so it's not like with mice, where you notice huge gnawed areas and turds and things, but they're definitely chowing down on the organic detritus that accumulates in every human habitation. Hair. Toejam. Shed skin cells. The tiny dark line of scuzz around the base of the toilet where it meets the floor. Fibers from the couch pillows that drift down into cracks. If it's organic, then it's on the menu.

quote:

We've looked in all the storage areas, under sinks, everywhere, and we haven't seen any bugs. Does this mean there's a seething mass of the motherfuckers living behind the shower or something? :gonk:

Well, er, not to put too fine a point on it...yeah. The bathroom was created out of 2x4 lumber and gypsum wallboard, and then there's the back and underneath of the sink surround, and there's the rest of the finished basement, with smaller furring strips holding the wallboard to the basement walls, so that gives them loads of living space, everywhere. Nooks and crannies in amongst the wood, see. And they're roaches, so they have a tremendous capacity to "get flat" and to squeeze through cracks that don't exist into an alternate Tron universe.

So, there's nothing you can do to hermetically lock down this basement to non-habitat status, short of nuking it from orbit and then redesigning it in metal and plastic. You're going to have to resort to pesticides, or else reconcile yourself to sharing your living quarters with a colony of bugs.

I do not need a specimen, thanks.

Make SURE your roomies aren't wrong when they say, "Oh, it's just a waterbug." If you've got German cockroaches, then you are in deep, deep trouble.

However, you do not need to fart around with cameras and things. Take your specimen to one of these offices. Call them first.

http://www.extension.unl.edu/web/extension/officeslist

They are part of a thing known as the Cooperative Extension Service, and are paid for by Your Tax Dollars to look at insects and identify them for the householder. Among other things.

Read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_extension

Great stuff.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Recently my usual barber shop closed down. So I decided, since I needed a haircut, to go to the new SportClips that opened up. They upgraded me free to an MVP cut, which was pretty awesome cause I love hot towels and poo poo, but I noticed they had an offer for a Double or Triple MVP. I can't find anything online about what the hell those are, or what's different from the usual one, so I figured I'd ask here to see if any of you guys have tried that.

It could possibly be more hot towels, a cold towel, a head massage. Probably a combo of all three. Maybe they include a beard trim/face shave?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Perhaps I am missing something, but...why don't you ask the people at SportClips? :confused:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I personally like https://www.shortformblog.com. It's concise and compiled from many sources (even fox news sometimes). It's left-leaning but generally pretty balanced, and you can read for about 5 minutes and get all the news of the day digested.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Mak0rz posted:

Is there free video editing software out there that supports .m2ts files? I know VirtualDub is Goon-approved, but it doesn't seem to support the format and I can't seem to find any plugins that allow it.

if you search for mpeg-2 transport stream instead of .m2ts, you might have more success. I know that mpeg streamclip will convert it to a useable format, but the m2ts format is a little too processor intensive to be real time editable.

vvvvv They base their hiring off of a) whether you have a class e (chauffeur's) license, and b) how many points you have on your record. No at fault accidents or tickets = no points.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 8, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Just out of curiosity, but if you apply for a job as a courier or driver, can they refuse to hire you because of past accidents that were not your fault? I'm not even applying for a driver job, I just want to know.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

silversiren posted:

Just out of curiosity, but if you apply for a job as a courier or driver, can they refuse to hire you because of past accidents that were not your fault? I'm not even applying for a driver job, I just want to know.

Yeah. I know our city bus drivers get fired if they have two accidents even if both are not their fault

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RaoulDuke12 posted:

if you search for mpeg-2 transport stream instead of .m2ts, you might have more success. I know that mpeg streamclip will convert it to a useable format, but the m2ts format is a little too processor intensive to be real time editable.

So in other words they have to be converted? My camera's software is capable of doing that (not sure how much fidelity is maintained, I'll have to look into it), but I was hoping to be able to edit them without doing that first.

Oh well, thanks!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

silversiren posted:

Basically this is the list of reasons they can't use, everything else is fair game for the most part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How do I get over a fear of needles? I don't have a phobia. I don't freak out and act as though satan has manifested in front of me.
I've had blood drawn and received shots plenty of times (I just look away and hum to myself) but I refuse to donate blood.
I went with my girlfriend when she donated yesterday, and she & the folks at the blood bank were trying to talk me into it but I, politely, declined.
When I imagine someone sticking a needle in my arm and sucking blood out, my feet get cold and my hands get clammy. It's just... freaky.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
If all other life ceased to exist how long before the earth became uninhabitable by humans? What would the atmosphere become without other life?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

How do I get over a fear of needles? I don't have a phobia. I don't freak out and act as though satan has manifested in front of me.
I've had blood drawn and received shots plenty of times (I just look away and hum to myself) but I refuse to donate blood.
I went with my girlfriend when she donated yesterday, and she & the folks at the blood bank were trying to talk me into it but I, politely, declined.
When I imagine someone sticking a needle in my arm and sucking blood out, my feet get cold and my hands get clammy. It's just... freaky.

This is a normal response; most people feel like this. You get over it by telling yourself, "Somebody somewhere is not going to die after all because they will get this two cups of blood that I am taking a mere 20 minutes out of my busy day to lie here and pump into this bag. I am helping to save a life."

You can also visualize that 2 cups of blood that you're donating OUT OF THE NOBLEST POSSIBLE MOTIVES IN ORDER TO SAVE A HUMAN LIFE.

It's really not that much; you have 5 quarts in your body, you can do without 2 cups of it. Your body will start cranking out more within 24 hours.

This is how much you're donating.

This is how much you have.

Note that that's one of the big crockpots, the 5-quart ones.

If that doesn't work for you, you can go to a "platelets or plasma only" center, that gives you back your red blood cells after they get done whirling it to separate out the components they wanna keep.

I donated blood once, it was not as bad as I had thought, and I'd be going back every 8 weeks except that I am chronically anemic due to Crohn's disease, so every so often I go down there, receive the fingerstick, and am told (again) that I'm under the bar.

You don't actually feel the blood "sucking out", yanno. It's exactly the same sensation as having an IV put in your arm, say, for one of those x-rays where they inject dye, and then the nurse bustles off leaving you all by yourself. You lie there and wish you'd brought something to read. The big difference is that you're not wearing a hospital jonny and they allow you to keep your shoes.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 8, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

So in other words they have to be converted? My camera's software is capable of doing that (not sure how much fidelity is maintained, I'll have to look into it), but I was hoping to be able to edit them without doing that first.

Oh well, thanks!

Yes, mpeg-2 transport stream is a delivery and acquisition format commonly used by cable and satellite. It's benefit is that it's a high compression, high quality format, but that space saving comes at the expense of using a heavy amount of processor power to decode and playback the video (unless there's a built in real-time hardware converter like on your cable box, though they usually use mpeg-4), so it's difficult to edit. As a result, a lot of editing software won't recognize it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of camera is it? One of those new Sony HD hard disk camcorders? You typically won't lose any quality transcoding to an editable format (for example, I'm constantly importing footage from HVX100, EX3, and 7/5D variety cameras, and the footage comes in a slew of different formats. It all gets converted to Apple Pro Rez 422HQ for editing. That's a mac workflow, but just as an example, transcoding is kind of an industry standard for the time being until Final Cut X comes out and eliminates rendering.)

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 8, 2011

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
So I haven't used any chlorine in my poor for a few years and now it is very gunky and there is a turtle living inside, after i drain the pool which California state departments should i call to check if it would be ok to dump him in my local park or do I have to vaccinate it?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
It's a turtle, leave him in the yard.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Wagonburner posted:

Did one used to be able to view jpg exif info from a browser? I swear I used to do this all the time, No one had a digital camera last time I used IE but I've used phoenix then foxfire then firefox. Had to be one of those. Just tried today to look at exif with FF and chrome but nothing, have to have an exif add-on for either.

If I'm not completely imagining being able to do this (I've never had any addons except adblock) why'd they take it out?
You could try using http://regex.info/exif.cgi. You can create a bookmark (which is really a just a bit of javascript) which will take you to the exif info when you're viewing an image.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
I dont understand why no one has died from the radiation in Japan/

I watched the Nightly news and read a vague report off google but my question still remains

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Pope Mobile posted:

I mean, we've already established that you don't have a logical reason for being afraid, right? Just don't think about the blood-drawing part. If that's not working for you, it also might help to think about how normal and safe the act of giving blood is. All sorts of people do it! Enough people donate blood that there are blood donation clinics; they can hire people whose full-time job is to accept blood donations. So all of these people are out there every day donating blood like it ain't no thing. (Because it's not.) Those people aren't afraid to give blood because it's normal to them; after like one time it'll be normal for you too. And normal is the opposite of scary.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mambo italiano posted:

I dont understand why no one has died from the radiation in Japan/

I watched the Nightly news and read a vague report off google but my question still remains

It's hard to die of low level radiation that you're 40 km or more away from.

You have probably been mislead by bad media reports that don't tell you that the only place dangerous without protection is on the grounds of the plant itself (where workers must wear protective clothing at all times anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought a $20 LED desk lamp from Walmart a few days ago. The light is always subtly fluctuating randomly. Do you think that it's defective, or just that it sucks? Neither one would surprise me.