Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

The previous gen Legacy was, in my opinion, one of the the best looking midsize sedans of its day.

I'm having trouble thinking of a mid-size car that looks better than the LGT, regardless of time period. I find it to be the perfect mix of classy, understated and sporty for a sports sedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The new 1 series hatch looks like a god drat Vibe/Matrix with a longer hood.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

eames posted:

2012 1 series

:saddowns:

I swear they're now actively trying to make them as ugly as possible. Even Chris Bangle must think "drat, that's an ugly car". And that's the guy who thought it would be a good idea to screw up the kidney grille on the 3-series.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Cream_Filling posted:

The previous gen Legacy was, in my opinion, one of the the best looking midsize sedans of its day.

versus

YES. Seriously, the newest generation of Legacy is disgusting. Subaru's designs have always been a little quirky, but 99% of them end up looking pretty drat good. The 4th gen Legacy is amazing, especially in GT trim - a sporty sedan that looks the part without being obnoxious. If you get one without the spoiler the only thing even hinting at the turbo under the hood is the scoop. The 08-09 facelift of the 4th gens is the pinnacle, it looks gorgeous.

I saw pictures of the MY10+ Legacy and just figured it had to look better in person...and then I saw one in person last time I was at the dealer. Christ is it terrible. Just a big ugly mess, emphasis on the big. What were they thinking with those fenders? Just looks like every other boring midsize sedan now. Why Subaru :(

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Just looks like every other boring midsize sedan now. Why Subaru :(

I suspect crash safety, in particular the pedestrian rating has a lot to do with it.

Its affected pretty much everything, for instance look at the current Japan/Euro Accord next to the previous model and you'll see how big and bulbous the nose has got:

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Cream_Filling posted:

The Legacy Spec B is great looking in a good way not in the Subaru way.

I would get rid of my bugeye for one in a heartbeat if I had the funds

edit:

http://www.autofans.be/galerij/bmw-1-reeks-m-pakket-eerste-fotos/bmw-1-reeks-m-pakket-eerste-fotos-7824

This is the new 1 series with some M stuff slapped on. Can't say I'm a fan but it looks better than the model without the bumper and all.

69sofine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 7, 2011

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

el topo posted:

I swear they're now actively trying to make them as ugly as possible. Even Chris Bangle must think "drat, that's an ugly car". And that's the guy who thought it would be a good idea to screw up the kidney grille on the 3-series.

I've heard the inspiration was 'Angry Birds'

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

I suspect crash safety, in particular the pedestrian rating has a lot to do with it.

Its affected pretty much everything, for instance look at the current Japan/Euro Accord next to the previous model and you'll see how big and bulbous the nose has got:

Eh, yes and no, I think.

I believe (correct me if wrong) that the crash safety regulation most responsible for the bulbous fronts of current cars is the new Euro ones which require a certain amount of space between the hood and engine. But the the engine in Subarus is relatively flat and usually placed low and back enough that it seems like this wouldn't really matter. (oh wait - TMIC? whoops) I feel like the styling was just sort of a "me, too" response to look similar to the other mid-size sedans. Well, also, the bulky high beltlines required to maintain side impact standards also mean that it's tough to make a low cowl height look proportional. Maybe?

Also, of course, the front ends of most new cars are now so tall that the scenario imagined, that the bumper hits your legs and your head hits the top of the engine, is now less likely. Instead, a massive wall of car hits your legs, then your hip or torso (shattering it) slightly above your center of gravity, you are thrown to the ground, and then run over. At least that's how it goes in my imagination.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Report: Audi R4 Roadster Confirmed for 2014 Debut, Porsche and Volkswagen Versions Still Coming

Included in the article, but clearly not an Audi

automobilemag.com posted:

We’ve long known that Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen will each launch a unique, mid-engined roadster based on the same platform over the next few years. A new report from Autocar confirms that Audi’s version, dubbed the R4, will arrive by 2014 or 2015. It also reaffirms that the Volkswagen Bluesport and a Porsche version are still on track for production.

The three brands will all build their own version of the car, but the essential two-seat, mid-engine platform will be shared. Instead the cars will differentiate themselves with unique interior layouts, disparate styling, bespoke powertrains and, of course, big price differentials. As a result of the collaboration with Porsche, it’s possible the Audi and VW cars will be underpinned by some components from the next-generation Porsche Boxster.

We know the most about the R4, a sort of baby R8 which will slot between the TT and the R8 in Audi’s lineup. Its styling will be drawn heavily from that previewed by the Audi e-tron concepts. Although it will be about the same size as the minute Mazda MX-5, the R4 will likely be more expensive than equivalent trims of the front-engine TT.

Autocar says two new engines are under consideration for the R4. The first is an updated version of the current turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four that pervades the VW/Audi lineup. It will reportedly receive variable valve timing and valve-lift control, helping it produce at least 230 hp and possibly as much as 280 hp. There may also be a variant of the turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-five used by the Audi TT RS and RS3 Sportback, modified for a scorching 350 hp. A diesel version, as well as a full-electric model, may arrive at a later date.

Volkswagen’s iteration of the convertible platform will be called the Bluesport, and may sacrifice some performance in favor of more efficiency. We learned that VW had green-lit the car for production in summer 2010. It will be the cheapest version of the roadster trio, and will probably be priced to compete directly with Mazda’s MX-5.

An earlier Bluesport concept used a 2.0-liter turbodiesel, returning up to 55 mpg and hitting 60 mph in 6.2 seconds. The production model will probably offer small turbocharged inline-four engines, possibly a 1.4- or 1.8- liter model with 170 to 200 hp. Technology like engine stop-start and regenerative braking is also sure to be fitted in order to make the Bluesport a frugal, eco-friendly roadster.

As we had long expected, Autocar says Porsche is planning their own small roadster based on the same mid-engine platform as the R4 and Bluesport. It will serve as an entry model to the Porsche brand, meaning it’s to be marginally cheaper and less powerful than the Boxster. Porsche is reportedly considering the name 550, a reference to the brand’s 550 Spyder of yore. The engine could be a new turbocharged flat-four making up to 380 hp — such an engine is reportedly in the works for the next-generation Boxster.

We’re still probably a few years away from the introduction of any of these new convertibles, but we’re excited about the proposed mid-engine layout and variety of powertrains. The availability of three different models from Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen means that customers in every tax bracket should be able to afford one of these sporty roadsters. The only remaining unknown is whether all three cars are coming to the U.S. market.
On again, off again, on again, will they ever make up their mind? I still think rebranding this as a baby Boxster is a bad idea for Porsche, but affordable roadsters are a good thing for consumers in general, and it may fit in well in Audi's lineup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

grover posted:

On again, off again, on again, will they ever make up their mind? I still think rebranding this as a baby Boxster is a bad idea for Porsche, but affordable roadsters are a good thing for consumers in general, and it may fit in well in Audi's lineup.

I can't help but think VAG is getting too 90s GM like - too many divisions without clear enough differentiation.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dissss posted:

I can't help but think VAG is getting too 90s GM like - too many divisions without clear enough differentiation.

Don't worry, in about 15 years it will crumble.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

Report: Audi R4 Roadster Confirmed for 2014 Debut, Porsche and Volkswagen Versions Still Coming

Because when I think affordable, fun cars, I think Audi.

I mean a Boxster in the US starts at $48k base with the top of the line Spyder at like $60-70k, nipping at the heels of the base 911's MSRP of $80k.
The Audi TT roadster currently has an MSRP of $42-48k.

In other words, the Audi Boxster will have to end up costing... the same as the current Boxster. Are they going to jack up the price of the Boxster? Drop the price of the TT?

Hell, the current VW Eos, a loving folding hardtop Golf, costs $34-40k.

Where the hell will these things slot in? And by what standard are they "affordable"?

[edit]
By contrast, the so-called standard for "affordable" imported mid-engine roadsters was the 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, which cost $25k in 2005, which is $29k in 2011 dollars. So I guess it's not too outrageous...

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cream_Filling posted:

Where the hell will these things slot in? And by what standard are they "affordable"?

[edit]
By contrast, the so-called standard for "affordable" imported mid-engine roadsters was the 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder, which cost $25k in 2005, which is $29k in 2011 dollars. So I guess it's not too outrageous...
The VW Bluesport is expected to be priced to compete against the MX-5; the Audi and Porsche models... won't.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I want to see how Porsche manages to get 380HP out of a production turbo flat-four. I have a hard time believing they will be able to find the right mixture of compression ratio, boost, and compressor efficiency to make an engine responsive enough to be worthy of the Porsche name while maintaining a certain degree of durability. They may be able to get away with an 8,000 RPM redline and short enough gearing that reaching full boost at 6,000 RPMs isn't an issue for driving around town.

Of course, if Porsche manages to do it there is hope that maybe we can finally get an STI with over 350HP from the factory (in the U.S.).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

The VW Bluesport is expected to be priced to compete against the MX-5; the Audi and Porsche models... won't.

So like $23-28k? About the same price as the Golf GTI or the Pontiac Solstice? Or maybe more realistically maybe $26-35k to account for the VW premium and slightly increased cost of a midengine layout? Good on them if they can do it, I suppose.

I guess technically there will basically be no competition for similarly sized roadsters or even coupes beyond the MX-5, although at the price range you will see the pony cars begin to compete in price if not in actual size/product class.

Who knows? Maybe by 2015 or whatever, this will be the start of a new roadster fad and even Hyundai and Kia will put out affordable Solstice/Sky cousins at 20k or under.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cream_Filling posted:

Who knows? Maybe by 2015 or whatever, this will be the start of a new roadster fad and even Hyundai and Kia will put out affordable Solstice/Sky cousins at 20k or under.

It's not quite a roadster, but I think the Genesis Coupe shows the future could be good for sporty Hyundais, roadsters possibly included.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I think the Genesis Coupe is a great example of why they can probably pull that off, minus the 'affordable' part.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

I think the Genesis Coupe is a great example of why they can probably pull that off, minus the 'affordable' part.

I don't get what you're saying. That the Coupe isn't affordable? Or that a Hyundai convertible would necessarily be expensive?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Um, both really. The Genesis coupe isn't really expensive, but it's definitely not affordable for what you get either. So I sincerely doubt their ability to make an affordable roadster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Q_res posted:

Um, both really. The Genesis coupe isn't really expensive, but it's definitely not affordable for what you get either. So I sincerely doubt their ability to make an affordable roadster.

The timing of their Genesis product cycle was unfortunate. Their new entry to the catergory got completely overshadowed by Ford's putting in a great new motor into an existing and presumably costs-minimized chassis. I would expect them to be able to get more power and a soft top out of the Genesis with less effort. Dunno if you could call it cheap.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I mean "oxcart" bullshit aside, the design compromises in the Mustang do effectively cut costs without significantly compromising quality.

Also, I feel like the Genesis Coupe was a little too big, a little too luxury focused, and a little too expensive compared to what I would have expected. It's benchmarked on the Infiniti G37, after all. I would have preferred an entry-level sports car to the grand tourer that we got. Still, I'm not one to complain about more enthusiast choices, and if or when the new 275 hp turbo 4 from the Sonata Turbo gets put in, I feel like there's still room for improvement on the platform. 275 hp in a 3300 pound chassis is not bad at all (though i suppose the v6 mustang still beats it in raw numbers). The new V6 that was recently announced also has a modest power boost up to 333 hp, 291 ft-lbs, which actually beats the pony cars in V6 engine output at least.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I would really, really like to see the Hyundai Genesis get a new front end. The grimacing look on the front end makes the car look like its biting down on a horse bit or something. The fluidic design language Hyundai has started to use has grown on me so I wouldn't mind to see a front end like that on the Genesis.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean "oxcart" bullshit aside, the design compromises in the Mustang do effectively cut costs without significantly compromising quality.

They've done a lot with an oxcart design as far as putting power down. An impressive amount. But I've always wondered just how much costs IRS could possibly add to the price. It's been done in the aftermarket for years, and you'd think it would be a whole lot cheaper to do on a mass scale right out of the factory.

Seems like it would make the car quite a track beast. But maybe that's just not their market focus.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

I have a feeling that the vast majority of new car buyers have no idea that there are any similarities between VW and Audi, let alone Porsche.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

They've done a lot with an oxcart design as far as putting power down. An impressive amount. But I've always wondered just how much costs IRS could possibly add to the price. It's been done in the aftermarket for years, and you'd think it would be a whole lot cheaper to do on a mass scale right out of the factory.

Seems like it would make the car quite a track beast. But maybe that's just not their market focus.

I just caught an episode of Top Gear where they're reviewing the new (at screening) GT500 Mustang and they compared it with a Roush that had the suspension modified. They said Ford said it would cost $5000/car to add independent suspension.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Linedance posted:

I just caught an episode of Top Gear where they're reviewing the new (at screening) GT500 Mustang and they compared it with a Roush that had the suspension modified. They said Ford said it would cost $5000/car to add independent suspension.

Couldn't be _that_ bad. Otherwise the Fusion would have a beam suspension out back, too.

My guess is that it'd just be an organizational hassle to make some proportion (custom orders) of Mustangs IRS on the assembly line.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
The thing you have to remember is the majority of Mustang buyers don't care enough to change it. In fact owners were swapping out the IRS on terminators for a solid axle set up.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If enthusiasts matter at all in that situation, I bet more people drag Mustangs than track them, though that might be a "chicken or the egg" situation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lowclock posted:

If enthusiasts matter at all in that situation, I bet more people drag Mustangs than track them, though that might be a "chicken or the egg" situation.

I think that's exactly the chicken and egg. They aren't often tracked because they aren't the best choice; people who track cars aren't the market so they don't make them more trackable.

Too bad. They seem like they'd be a fun mid-level track flogger for a stock prepared division if they put their power down better. But I'm kind of a Ford guy, so my opinion probably shouldn't count for much on this topic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

I think that's exactly the chicken and egg. They aren't often tracked because they aren't the best choice; people who track cars aren't the market so they don't make them more trackable.

A new stock GT can do comparably with an M3 (as driven by Randy Pobst) on the track. I think that counts as a decent track car. Randy even remarked that the GT was more fun.

Track performance is not a big factor for switching to IRS.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
This sounds a little too good to be true:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/08/mazda-targeting-1-760-pound-target-for-next-miata-400-pounds-l/

(Next gen miata)

quote:

According to Inside Line, the head honchos at the Japanese automaker have instructed the company's engineers to strip a whopping 720 pounds from the vehicles already comparably light 2,480-pound curb weight. If successful, that would put the new comer into the feathery 1,760-pound range, which is 400 pounds less than the first-generation roadster.

The report claims that the engineers at Mazda aren't entirely sure they can hit the weight target, but the vehicle will be much closer to the waif-like 2,178-lb 1989 Miata than the heftier 2011 model.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope if they ever go to IRS they use transverse leaf springs and keep trolling people forever.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/08/mazda-targeting-1-760-pound-target-for-next-miata-400-pounds-l/

(Next gen miata)

There's no loving way they get it under 2000 lbs. But I'm sure it'll be down in the 2200 range.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Hog Obituary posted:

(Next gen miata)

Drop a rotary engine in and you're halfway there already. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

A new stock GT can do comparably with an M3 (as driven by Randy Pobst) on the track. I think that counts as a decent track car. Randy even remarked that the GT was more fun.

Track performance is not a big factor for switching to IRS.

I did mention that I thought they did some amazing things with putting power down, given what they have to work with.

I'm not sure why track performance wouldn't be improved by switching to IRS. Sure, not on all tracks in all situations, but the increased suspension agility and what could be done with it to improve performance even further seems quite appealing.

But again, that really depends on the track. I don't think it much matters on the main ring at Pocono, for example. But let's talk about the hairpin and corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Situations like those (banked, but not incredibly so, hanging wheels out into the berm, etc) would seem to make independent rear wheel suspension travel quite advantageous.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Real racers know to remove that heavy owner's manual before ripping up the track yo.

Why not just say their target is 0 lbs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I have a feeling that the vast majority of new car buyers have no idea that there are any similarities between VW and Audi, let alone Porsche.

Leaving Porsche aside I'd say the similarities between Volkswagen and Audi products are pretty widely known and in some cases actually overstated.

All you have to do is look at the motoring section of a newspaper, if they've reviewed say an A1 they'll be sure to mention you could just get a more powerful Polo for less money. Ditto with an A4, they'll say the Passat is bigger and cheaper and mechanically the same (even though there are some important differences between the two). It gets even more complicated in markets where Skodas are available.

Then you have VW splitting the American Jetta/Passat off from the international versions - presumably this is an effort to add further differentiation by making them bigger and cheaper

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Motronic posted:

At every track day ive been to there have been at least a few mustangs... People track them all the time. Hell NASA has an a few classes that are basically dedicated to racing mustangs (AI and AIX are like 5 to 1 mustangs vs camaros/other)

More people drag race mustangs because drag racing is a $30 a day/night enterprise so any jackass with some power under the hood can do it. The ~10x increase in price and having to register in advance for most track days is what causes there to be fewer mustang owners tracking their car then going drag racing.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

I did mention that I thought they did some amazing things with putting power down, given what they have to work with.

I'm not sure why track performance wouldn't be improved by switching to IRS. Sure, not on all tracks in all situations, but the increased suspension agility and what could be done with it to improve performance even further seems quite appealing.

But again, that really depends on the track. I don't think it much matters on the main ring at Pocono, for example. But let's talk about the hairpin and corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Situations like those (banked, but not incredibly so, hanging wheels out into the berm, etc) would seem to make independent rear wheel suspension travel quite advantageous.

Motor Trend had a race driver take a new Boss 302 for a few laps at Laguna Seca. It did a 1:40.2. For comparison, a '10 GT500 clocked 1:44.3, a '09 BMW M3 did 1:42.9, and a '10 Audi R8 did 1:40.8. I think Ford has perfected the live axle if their 4-passenger $41k car beats a mid-engined near-supercar around Laguna Seca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kill me now posted:

At every track day ive been to there have been at least a few mustangs... People track them all the time. Hell NASA has an a few classes that are basically dedicated to racing mustangs (AI and AIX are like 5 to 1 mustangs vs camaros/other)

More people drag race mustangs because drag racing is a $30 a day/night enterprise so any jackass with some power under the hood can do it. The ~10x increase in price and having to register in advance for most track days is what causes there to be fewer mustang owners tracking their car then going drag racing.

I remember back in the day people would put a lot of money into Griggs suspension for AIX classes (and AI? I don't remember the rules). I have not been to a NASA event even since the '05 models came out, though.

But really the 2010 Track Pack and 2011 models are just awesome. Who cares how it works, if it does?