Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

DigitalMocking posted:

I bought rom manager premium, I just download nightlys right through that.

How exactly do you do this? I seem to already have Rom Manager Premium. Please excuse my inexperience, this is my first time with Android at all, much less using CM7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

rotaryfun posted:

Is there anyway at all to get it so that the droid x can setup the facebook account to only specifically sync only existing contacts... am I missing something somewhere?

I recently put Liberty 0.6 on my phone, so I had a similar issue when only my Google contacts were shown.

I restored the Facebook app using Titanium Backup (though using TB can be unnecessary in this case) and once I started that up, it asked me if I wanted to sync the information with the contacts on my phone, which I let it do. I went back to the Dialer app and set my display so that only my Google contacts are shown, and NOT the Facebook contacts. After a few minutes, my Google contacts were synced on the Dialer app with all of the Facebook information, including e-mail addresses and profile pictures.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Yeah I have access to the facebook information but I only want facebook to sync info with already exhisting contacts... I don't want my whole facebook friends list in my address book.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I finally decided to bite the bullet and install Liberty since the developer of my old "ROM" got a Thunderbolt a while ago, so I was stuck on 2.2. I used an update zip to bring it back to 2.3.340, then installed both files listed on this page:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/28/download-official-droidx-gingerbread-4-5-596-for-rooted-users/
Then installed Liberty .6. I did all of these from recovery in a row without rebooting.
After the first reboot, it shows the Liberty logo then goes to bootloader mode. I'm about to sbf and try this again, but did I do anything wrong?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doghouse posted:

How exactly do you do this? I seem to already have Rom Manager Premium. Please excuse my inexperience, this is my first time with Android at all, much less using CM7.

From RomManager;
Download ROM>CyanogenMod Nightlies>Pick your flavor.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I finally decided to bite the bullet and install Liberty since the developer of my old "ROM" got a Thunderbolt a while ago, so I was stuck on 2.2. I used an update zip to bring it back to 2.3.340, then installed both files listed on this page:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/28/download-official-droidx-gingerbread-4-5-596-for-rooted-users/
Then installed Liberty .6. I did all of these from recovery in a row without rebooting.
After the first reboot, it shows the Liberty logo then goes to bootloader mode. I'm about to sbf and try this again, but did I do anything wrong?

After every flash, I booted into the ROM then restarted into recovery to do the next one. Does booting into the phone "complete" the process?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

After every flash, I booted into the ROM then restarted into recovery to do the next one. Does booting into the phone "complete" the process?

I figured that I wouldn't be able to get back into recovery after each one. Did you reboot between parts I and II? It says not to when it's applying them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I rebooted after sbfing, then after updating to the rooted .596, and then I installed the 2 liberty zips in one go like the instruction says. You shouldn't loose the root or recovery after anything but the sbf, and worst case if you wipe everything I suppose you might need to reinstall the bootstrap, but that's about it.

e. Nvm, you didn't sbf. Still, you might need to reroot and install bootstrap after you go back to stock, but it's still worthwhile to reboot and make sure you're on gingerbread correctly before installing liberty.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Nvm, you didn't sbf. Still, you might need to reroot and install bootstrap after you go back to stock, but it's still worthwhile to reboot and make sure you're on gingerbread correctly before installing liberty.

This is what I did and it worked! The toolbox is pretty great.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yeah, I'm liking liberty so far. Mostly for the lock animation and the asop gallery app, though. And the stock cardock that lets me launch the google music app. Nothing revolutionary, but all nice changes to have.

e. and hopefully recalibrating my battery will fix the battery stats.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 8, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Well, it *was* working. After I installed the toolbox, I used restore to bring everything back. Then stuff started crashing, so I decided to reboot. But there's not a reboot option, so I just turned it off. When I turned it back on, it just sat at the spinning eagle for over 10 minutes, so I pulled the battery. I put the battery back in, and now the drat thing won't power up. It's been plugged in the whole time, but maybe it wasn't charging? When I plug it in I get a green light, even if the battery is out. Power button does nothing. Should I just leave it plugged in and wait, or try something else?

e: I guess it wasn't charging from my PC. I plugged it into a dedicated charge and the charging screen came up. Is there a setting I can change in Liberty to make it charge from a PC's USB port? My old ROM did this just fine.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 8, 2011

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm running CM 7.0 on my Droid Incredible which I had the latest clockworkmod on but when I recently tried to use Rom manager to update it failed to stick, and for some reason my recovery had reverted to CWM 2.5 or some other really old one. And now I can't seem to get any recovery flashes to stick, manual ones or run from inside rom manager. Any ideas?

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

Baram posted:

I've personally never used kernel manager to install them. I just download them off XDA, boot to recovery, wipe cache/dalvik cache and install them from zip. Booting up the first take can take as long as the first boot upon flashing a new rom since it has to rebuild the caches and whatnot.

Yeah. Figured as much, these were going way longer. I'm no stranger to doing stuff the slightly harder way, but I guess I've been spoilt by rom manager.

P.s. why does nobody know how to spell kernel?

mea gulpa
May 25, 2006

Well, it *was* working. After I installed the toolbox, I used restore to bring everything back. Then stuff started crashing, so I decided to reboot. But there's not a reboot option, so I just turned it off. When I turned it back on, it just sat at the spinning eagle for over 10 minutes, so I pulled the battery. I put the battery back in, and now the drat thing won't power up. It's been plugged in the whole time, but maybe it wasn't charging? When I plug it in I get a green light, even if the battery is out. Power button does nothing. Should I just leave it plugged in and wait, or try something else?

e: I guess it wasn't charging from my PC. I plugged it into a dedicated charge and the charging screen came up. Is there a setting I can change in Liberty to make it charge from a PC's USB port? My old ROM did this just fine.

Have you tried updating/reinstalling the charging driver on this page?

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Is anyone running Liberty GB v0.6 or 0.7? I'm actually pretty happy on deodexed .596, but I've been itching to change things up. Any glaring bugs that would make me want to wait until 1.0? I tried reading through the official forums, but they're a shithole with everyone trying to figure out how to get to GB in the first place. Hoping to get some feedback here.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

poo poo. Has anyone ever had a nandroid completely fail on them before? The one I did before my latest failed kernel flash attempt backed up /system but apparently forgot to back up any data whatsoever. I've had to jump back a day or so to an older nandroid. It's annoying as poo poo.

Also. This bloody thing still won't accept a new kernel. I wiped the cache and dalvik cache beforehand, what else am I missing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Iananan posted:

poo poo. Has anyone ever had a nandroid completely fail on them before? The one I did before my latest failed kernel flash attempt backed up /system but apparently forgot to back up any data whatsoever. I've had to jump back a day or so to an older nandroid. It's annoying as poo poo.

Also. This bloody thing still won't accept a new kernel. I wiped the cache and dalvik cache beforehand, what else am I missing?
Yes I have but only on CWR 3.0.0.5 failing to properly restore (and thus corrupting) an a2sd SD-EXT partition which is a known bug.

I'm using AMON-RA at the moment and it's been a while. I forgot how much better laid out everything is than CWR. I never used ROM Manager for the additional features it provides anyway.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Yeah. I was always reluctant to use cwm in my old phone just because amon-ra was that much better. But on the nexus s cwm is the only option. I also don't have an sd-ext either. Nothing seems to want to work for me, root wise.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Iananan posted:

Every backup I've done with CWM 3.0.2.4 has failed. With CM, none of my apps restore at all including Google apps. The one Sense backup I've done just wouldn't boot.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

At least when the phone is one, you can slide down the notification tray and press the usb connected alert. From there you can select charge only, removable drive, etc...

Like Mr. Despair had said, I didn't reboot in between the two part files but I did after the sbf and .596 parts. And I never tried to restore anything so I haven't run into any of the crashes.

Nupraptor posted:

Is anyone running Liberty GB v0.6 or 0.7? I'm actually pretty happy on deodexed .596, but I've been itching to change things up. Any glaring bugs that would make me want to wait until 1.0? I tried reading through the official forums, but they're a shithole with everyone trying to figure out how to get to GB in the first place. Hoping to get some feedback here.

I'm liking Liberty so far and it definitely is snappy. Still not digging on the way the droid x does facebook compared to the way my original droid did but I'm slowly getting over that. I haven't run into any bugs in my experience yet either with Liberty GB v0.6. I decided to stay away from 0.7 just because of some of the posts on the forum... but really those posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 8, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Granted it's a promise and not action yet, but HTC is now saying the Sensation's bootloader will be unlocked via software update. Good news since that along with a few other models got out the door before HTC changed their policy.

quote:

"We are currently developing new bootloader unlocked software for your phone. HTC is still committed to allowing our customers to unlock the bootloaders if they wish, however we are still implementing the policy and many updates were already finalized prior to our change in policy. We apologize for the inconvenience, but be assured that we are working on a solution for our customers and our commitment has not changed. Please stay tuned to our official channels for ongoing updates on how we will be implementing this policy. Thank you for your patience."

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-support-statements-show-possible-sensation-unlock-path

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Granted it's a promise and not action yet, but HTC is now saying the Sensation's bootloader will be unlocked via software update. Good news since that along with a few other models got out the door before HTC changed their policy.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-support-statements-show-possible-sensation-unlock-path
drat, I wish we could take back this G2x for this then. :(

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

At least when the phone is on, you can slide down the notification tray and press the usb connected alert. From there you can select charge only, removable drive, etc...

I'm pretty sure I had it set to charge only, but even when it's on the other modes the phone still charges. Not sure what the deal was, because it's working fine now.
A really irritating thing about gingerbread (or maybe it's just Liberty) is that things made to turn off the screen only lock the phone instead, forcing me to use the power button. I think that guy with the broken iPod avatar was complaining about the same thing.
I really wish Liberty had some lockscreen customizations like RubiX had. :sigh:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

This is awesome, I hope they follow through.

Engadget is reporting that Samsung has sent a few Galaxy S 2 phones to the CM devs involved in porting CM over to the Captivate. This is awesome and hopefully means SGSII will be officially supported.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

A really irritating thing about gingerbread (or maybe it's just Liberty) is that things made to turn off the screen only lock the phone instead, forcing me to use the power button.

What were you using to turn off the screen? A widget or something?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

A really irritating thing about gingerbread (or maybe it's just Liberty) is that things made to turn off the screen only lock the phone instead, forcing me to use the power button. I think that guy with the broken iPod avatar was complaining about the same thing.

Yes, I was! It's gingerbread. I'm dying for a widget/app that will turn off the screen with any other button or method than the power button.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

^^^^ So you never found anything?

rotaryfun posted:

What were you using to turn off the screen? A widget or something?

I think it's called invisible lock widget. I keep my homescreen empty except for fancy widget, and cover the rest of the screen with the lock widget so I can admire my backgrounds and power off the screen by just tapping an empty space. Well, I used to do that. Now I have to hit the button again.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I never found anything. A month or so ago I tried all the "screen-off" widgets/apps I could find. Ones where you hold the search button down, visible/invisible widgets, one was even a proximity sensor app to turn off the screen. I'm so glad someone else out there cares now and might actually help me find one that works!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Codiusprime posted:

This is awesome, I hope they follow through.

Engadget is reporting that Samsung has sent a few Galaxy S 2 phones to the CM devs involved in porting CM over to the Captivate. This is awesome and hopefully means SGSII will be officially supported.

Yeah I agree about the SGSII. Although I think Samsung releasing the source code would help as much, if not more than providing the phone itself. I've seen plenty of instances of people donating money to get a phone to a ROM developer (CM or otherwise) so it's not like they don't usually end up with the phones anyway. But it's nice to see Samsung doing something that's clearly in support of the dev community.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm running CM 7.0 on my Droid Incredible which I had the latest clockworkmod on but when I recently tried to use Rom manager to update it failed to stick, and for some reason my recovery had reverted to CWM 2.5 or some other really old one. And now I can't seem to get any recovery flashes to stick, manual ones or run from inside rom manager. Any ideas?

Will your phone still boot? or is it stuck in a boot loop?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Recently flashed my EVO to rooted, stock 4.22.651 (gb) de-odexed, flashed new all in one radio/wimax/prl, installed cwm and used that to flash amon ra...

but for whatever reason I cannot boot into recovery with vol down+pwr, but have no problem getting to recovery through cwm

Am I missing something here?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
What happens when you power on while holding volume down? Can you get to the bootloader with something like Quickboot?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If I hold both it does not display anything but upon releasing the power button it quickly flies through the boot animation (is that quickboot?)

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Sorry, quickboot is an app that lets you reboot into the bootloader or recovery. Are you holding down the volume button when you release the power button?

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
I had that problem on my Desire when using a Sense gingerbread ROM. Check in settings > applications to see if there's something called fast boot mode - disabling that should allow you to get into recovery again.

E: Or use quickboot, as heat mentioned.

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 8, 2011

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Been having a lot of issues with Wifi when it comes to CM7. I was using Fresh EVO before and the Wifi worked perfectly all over the house, now on CM7 I get no signal whatsoever :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Skeezy posted:

Been having a lot of issues with Wifi when it comes to CM7. I was using Fresh EVO before and the Wifi worked perfectly all over the house, now on CM7 I get no signal whatsoever :(

CM7 displays signal strength (as in number of bars of signal) differently than Sense Roms do. I have tested two EVO's side by side with a WiFi anylizer program, one running CM7 and the other stock, and they both have the same dBm signal strength even though the CM7 phone showed fewer bars.

Unless you mean that you are literally not getting a signal. In which case I have nothing to offer you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrBishi posted:

I had that problem on my Desire when using a Sense gingerbread ROM. Check in settings > applications to see if there's something called fast boot mode - disabling that should allow you to get into recovery again.

E: Or use quickboot, as heat mentioned.

This was the problem, turned off fastboot.

Now I'm trying to get the GPS fix for CM7 to work but after several tries I still can't get it to lock on...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BraveUlysses posted:

This was the problem, turned off fastboot.

Now I'm trying to get the GPS fix for CM7 to work but after several tries I still can't get it to lock on...

I believe there's a fix you have to do from with a Sense ROM first to get GPS working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nimper posted:

I believe there's a fix you have to do from with a Sense ROM first to get GPS working.

Yeah, i gave that about 6 tries...saw someonesay that the nightly #93 solved all their gps issues...tried it now it works great!