Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I will gladly hand over 120 canuck bucks a month for unlimited 100mbps internets(or 250mbps when it's available).

Under the old system, the 100mbps plan was around 250 bucks a month and only included 375gb of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I wonder how long it will be, if ever, until I can get Teksavvy cable here in mid-Vancouver Island.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Never. Victoria is the only city on Vancouver Island.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Canadian independent ISP owner describes how she was forced out of business by Telus and the CRTC's failure to investigate their illegal activities.
video here

I don't know anything about the legal issues involved, but it sounds like it was pretty devastating for her.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Now that's the Telus that I remember.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Apparently Telus DSL got cheaper but I'm still on the old price.

I pay about $86/mo now after they added the new mystery fee and for what I have now it only comes to around $76/mo after taxes!

You guys might want to check your bill if you have the following:
- Home phone (Call ID only, cheapest long distance offer)
- High Speed Turbo 15

That comes to $68 before HST and $76.16 after. I guess I can't blame them for not telling me they're making an extra $10/mo from me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nomenklatura posted:

Wouldn't the Bernier Doctrine point the way that they're likely to go in this respect? I know that some people get really butthurt when you make the claim that a Conservative majority will govern differently than a Conservative minority, but the doctrine's pretty clear, and there's little reason to think they won't extend it.

I honestly don't know what the Bernier Doctrine is. Could you send me a link?

As for "Conservative majority will govern differently than Conservative minority", I *know* they will govern differently. If they didn't, the Conservative baby boomers who put them in office will vote Liberal in four years as punishment. That's quite obvious. I just feel, and maybe I'm an absolute retard for feeling this way, that the Conservative government really has no love for Bell and wants to open up the market because that's what soft line Libertarians do. And while Bell is a Canadian company and everything, Canadians won't mind them losing power. It wouldn't hurt them in the eyes of voters at all if it means cheaper internet.

Nomenklatura posted:

Have you actually HEARD anything from Industry about what they're planning to do? Has anybody? If you haven't, I really don't want to stake my internet access on people's confidence in Conservative goodwill.

The most I've heard is, "Don't panic." I'm not the main PR/GR person, I just work underneath her. As much as I've been given is that there's no plans to pack up shop here. We're actually considering either to move to a new building with more space or take over more offices in the building we're already in. And since I don't believe that new space will be so we can sell ice cream to the fabulous residents of Chatham, Ontario, I think that's a good thing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

As for "Conservative majority will govern differently than Conservative minority", I *know* they will govern differently. If they didn't, the Conservative baby boomers who put them in office will vote Liberal in four years as punishment. That's quite obvious.

I have a feeling the Conservatives aren't too worried about the Liberal party at the moment.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thexerox123 posted:

I have a feeling the Conservatives aren't too worried about the Liberal party at the moment.

No, but baby boomer Conservatives vote for the CPC based on issues that matter to old people with money in the bank worried about leaving their home. If the CPC doesn't build the stupid prisons, doesn't change crime laws, doesn't cut taxes and doesn't help old age pension, etc., those baby boomers will probably be alive to tell them, "IF YOU AIN'T GONNA DO WHAT I WANT, I'LL FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL" and they certainly won't goto Jack. Since he likely won't be alive in four years. But I just mean they are not going Evil Orange.

Right now the CPC is riding high but they have an agenda they've hidden to start making public. They will most likely go with it. They are not going to suddenly be Obama soft in office.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

:confused:

I don't get the hidden agenda thing at all.

They're not stupid enough to change abortion/marriage laws, which would guarantee not being re-elected. Any "secret agenda" stuff would destroy the party. Also it's not like all Conservatives support that stuff, just some people out west. Even the Liberal party has guys that can't stop shooting their mouths off about it. i.e. Paul Steckle.

They've made their agenda very clear, and it still sucks. Though my pet-peeve is specifically the "law & order" longer-terms/more prisons bullshit, tougher penalties for minor drug offenses, etc. Even that doesn't really affect me directly (just a another waste of my taxes) as I don't plan on becoming a career criminal any time soon.

Though I have been riding around on my bike without a bell :downsgun:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

:confused:

I don't get the hidden agenda thing at all.

They're not stupid enough to change abortion/marriage laws, which would guarantee not being re-elected. Any "secret agenda" stuff would destroy the party. Also it's not like all Conservatives support that stuff, just some people out west. Even the Liberal party has guys that can't stop shooting their mouths off about it. i.e. Paul Steckle.

They've made their agenda very clear, and it still sucks. Though my pet-peeve is specifically the "law & order" longer-terms/more prisons bullshit, tougher penalties for minor drug offenses, etc. Even that doesn't really affect me directly (just a another waste of my taxes) as I don't plan on becoming a career criminal any time soon.

Though I have been riding around on my bike without a bell :downsgun:

Someone else pointed this out in the election thread at the time, but of course they won't make huge changes that people can easily speak out against... however, they will make smaller, still detrimental changes... for instance, they won't make abortions illegal, but they will probably instead just remove funding for planned parenthood.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3125672

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What does abortion have to do with the internet?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Powershift posted:

What does abortion have to do with the internet?

Aborted fetuses are ground up and used to lubricate the gears that power the Intarweb Tubes.

I mean, durr, been living under a rock or something.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

priznat posted:

That's weird, I do have the 15/1 but only get 1 HD channel at a time. I should phone Telus up and beef at them I guess.

The installer told me this would be the case but he did mention it's a good idea to phone up to pester Telus about it.

Definitely give Telus a shout about that. What probably happened was that when the installer set everything up your connection, for whatever reason, could only support 1HD/1SD. Contacting tech support would be able to tell you what your connection theoretically supports and what they can do to improve it or get it as close to the theoretical as possible. heck, it might be

1HD/1SD profiles are pretty rare, and there's usually a specific reason for it.

To answer another goon's question, Telus is actively trying to improve it's services, but it's mostly focused on getting everyone onto Optik TV. If you're already on Optik, don't hold you're breathe for a profile upgrade, but still ask about it if you ever talk to tech support.

FYI, former Telus tech support guy here.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Teksavvy Install went without a hitch

Decent speeds, nearly gonna save me 1/2 of what Rogers was costing me monthly. :woop:

Speed test to something more local

Upload speed kinda sucks but w/e

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just a note: earlier in the thread, I was extremely happy with my service from EyeSurf in Kitchener. I was syncing at 20mbit, paying ~$45/mo, uncapped.

Well, I guess they got some new biz people in, because they set my line profile to max out at 10mbit even though they promised never to do so. The tech support people said their hands were tied; they claimed the decision comes from higher up. To their credit, they were very sympathetic and I feel that they genuinely felt bad for going back on a 'promise' they made to me.

So I ordered TekSavvy. Don't expect to sign up for EyeSurf and sync at your line's max anymore. I live 200 meters from the CO, so I am pretty pissed, but hopefully the speeds everyone is seeing with TekSavvy will make me feel better.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Shaw rolled out their new Broadband plans here in Edmonton yesterday. I already have TV through them, so to me an extra $10 a month for 100/5 with a 500GB/month cap is not a bad deal. I rarely go over 100gb a month, so I don't really see it being a massive restriction. They have an unlimited plan as well, but it's god damned expensive for someone that doesn't *need* it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well my teksavvy install has not gone off without a hitch, but its bells fault anyway. They were suposed to do my install on Monday for dry loop, and they just... Never showed up. I went outside and found the box for my line, and verified the wiring coming into the house. I would have plugged the dsl modem in out there to test it there, but this must be an old box as there wasn't a spot to plug in a line.

Anyways, teksavvy rescheduled for Saturday, which sucks but their hands are tied. Hopefully I'll have Internet on more than just my phone soon :(

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

TrueChaos posted:

Well my teksavvy install has not gone off without a hitch, but its bells fault anyway. They were suposed to do my install on Monday for dry loop, and they just... Never showed up. I went outside and found the box for my line, and verified the wiring coming into the house. I would have plugged the dsl modem in out there to test it there, but this must be an old box as there wasn't a spot to plug in a line.

Anyways, teksavvy rescheduled for Saturday, which sucks but their hands are tied. Hopefully I'll have Internet on more than just my phone soon :(

This was our experience with teksavvy DSL as well. Took us a whole week to get it set up the first time. Then at some point our profile was downgraded to some poo poo speeds but not without completely disconnecting us first. It took us 3 entire weeks fighting with bell (with teksavvy doing their best to help us) to get back up only to see our reduced speeds.

Switching to teksavvy cable can't happen soon enough. gently caress Bell.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Bell somehow manages to be about 1000x worse than Rogers. If my Tek Savvy install went south I'd just have to call my old manager @ Rogers and yell at him for loving up provisioning.. then have one of my buddies who still works there set it all up :cawg:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fun TekSavvy DSL story: I sign up, the Bell tech hooks everything up. TekSavvy says that they should be able to deliver 5Mbps, but I'm only getting 512Kbps.

After a few days of troubleshooting, they find the problem: the Bell guys hooked me up to a line going to the old DSLAM right at the edge of DSL range from me, rather than to one going to the new one right down the street. :downs:

On the plus side, once it was all set up everything was smooth and I even had IPv6 support. Cable is three times as fast but it sucks being IPv4 only again.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Is there actually some kind of tangible benefit to having an ipv6 address?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
My switch from Rogers to TekSavvy cable is this Friday and I'm holding my fingers that I'll be one of those people who has a completely smooth transfer and not one of those people who goes a week without internet because Rogers screwed it up somehow but won't even look into it until after the weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Is there actually some kind of tangible benefit to having an ipv6 address?

There are no (?) major sites that are reachable only through ipv6 internet, so probably not.

Do you teksavvy guys do a lot of xbox/ps3 gaming? I'm curious to see whether the lower transmit rate affects your game in any way. I don't really know how much bandwidth a typical game utilizes though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Martytoof posted:

There are no (?) major sites that are reachable only through ipv6 internet, so probably not.

Do you teksavvy guys do a lot of xbox/ps3 gaming? I'm curious to see whether the lower transmit rate affects your game in any way. I don't really know how much bandwidth a typical game utilizes though.

It doesn't.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

kuddles posted:

My switch from Rogers to TekSavvy cable is this Friday and I'm holding my fingers that I'll be one of those people who has a completely smooth transfer and not one of those people who goes a week without internet because Rogers screwed it up somehow but won't even look into it until after the weekend.

I'm right now dealing with no internet at home either because of the previous ISP or because my mom doesn't use a Bell line. I'm not sure which it is and TekSavvy is investigating. I'm going to have to either set my mom up with a different phone or wait for everything to fix in a week.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm right now dealing with no internet at home either because of the previous ISP or because my mom doesn't use a Bell line. I'm not sure which it is and TekSavvy is investigating. I'm going to have to either set my mom up with a different phone or wait for everything to fix in a week.

If it is a regalar phone line (ie a wholesaler of bell) you need the circuit-ID from the wholesaler and pass that on to TekSavvy. If it is one of the digital phone services you need a dry loop. Years of working as a Simpatico CRS has taught me useful things, and killed my soul.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fractal Cat posted:

If it is a regalar phone line (ie a wholesaler of bell) you need the circuit-ID from the wholesaler and pass that on to TekSavvy. If it is one of the digital phone services you need a dry loop. Years of working as a Simpatico CRS has taught me useful things, and killed my soul.

Yeah, they got the team working on figuring it out since I work there and the CSR Trainer is a friend of mine :3:

I think I'll be finding out it's dry loop, which would suck and mean more time without a connection.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Free static IP netblock.

Also, I like knowing that all of my stuff is already IPv6-ready rather than looking forward to a frantic scramble a year or two from now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Looks like Telus doubled their caps for all their plans.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Argas posted:

Looks like Telus doubled their caps for all their plans.

Funny, they halved the caps in December/January. So effectively... they've done nothing!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got the BB100 plan today.

Woop Woop, tha's the soun' ah me modem on fy-ah.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here's high speed extreme, for comparison:

At least I only pay $22/mo! Maybe there will be some sweet student plans for the really high speed connections this September.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh man I hope I can option this with the student plan this August.

e: it's a drat good thing Shaw upped their caps too. I came drat near my limit last month.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I hit 11.5MB/s downloading a test file from Nvidia yesterday on the BB100 plan. The 500GB cap works for me too, since I haven't gone over 120GB in a month in as long as I've been tracking it, but at least now there's some breathing room.

It's sad that I'm so excited for a 100mbps connection in 2011, but man it seems so fast compared to my old extreme.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Did anyone here living in Montreal end up trying out Colbanet? I'm kind of tired of the crappy DSL speeds Acanac/Teksavvy can offer and cable with them is a no-go thanks to Videotron. I remember some goons were thinking about switching, wondering if anything came out of it.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The only reason I didn't go with them is that, at the time, they wanted a 1yr contract.

Guy I work with said they're pretty good.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I threw together a speadsheet comparing ISPs available in Vancouver (that I know of)

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

I'm currently with Novus and sent this to them, imploring them to adjust their rates to match Shaw's new packages (whose bang/buck is currently about 40% better) so that I won't have to switch to Shaw.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Vehementi posted:

I threw together a speadsheet comparing ISPs available in Vancouver (that I know of)

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

I'm currently with Novus and sent this to them, imploring them to adjust their rates to match Shaw's new packages (whose bang/buck is currently about 40% better) so that I won't have to switch to Shaw.

Some 5000 people are looking at this spreadsheet.

You dont have the telus optik or the Teksavvy options their cable ones are quite good compared to shaws prices.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Sprawl posted:

Some 5000 people are looking at this spreadsheet.

No it's just anonymous user #5000 :)

Oh yeah, and if you read the fine print on shaw's "bump you up to the next package" thing, they will bump you up to the next package for the remainder of the month, but charge you the full price difference between packages, as if you had been on that other package the whole time, instead of the prorated difference. gently caress shaw forever