Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Deathlove posted:

Will this carry over any discounts applied to the plan? I've got that credit union one from forever ago that I'd like to keep.

Also, it looks like I can only do one phone, and I'd like to do two - both lines are eligible for upgrades. Can I do this without placing two orders?

I have been on the Citibank discount (27%) forever, and I have purchased upgrades from Sprint Corp store, Sprint non-corp store, Sprint online, Radio Shack, Radio Shack online, Best Buy, EBay, and from SA Mart (got the Mogul) over the years and I still have my discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Do you guys know how the corporate discounts work? If I sign up for 2 years and don't stay employed with this employer for the entirety of the contract, am I expected to notify sprint to have the discount removed?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Naffer posted:

Do you guys know how the corporate discounts work? If I sign up for 2 years and don't stay employed with this employer for the entirety of the contract, am I expected to notify sprint to have the discount removed?

I haven't worked for Citibank for almost 7 years (God knows how many times I have re-upped during that time). I even moved after school from my Citibank location (Johnson City, TN) to Knoxville, TN to take a new job. Never once has Sprint mentioned a word to me about my discount. It just keeps showing up on my bill.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

mtr posted:

In preparation for the Evo 3D launch, I'm going to sell my Evo on craigslist or Ebay. I know the obvious step of deleting my SD card and reverting the phone back to factory settings, but for some reason I think I remember reading (maybe in this thread) that there is some code I should look up/erase/change so that whoever gets my phone has no chance of doing anything with my Sprint account.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've googled around and websites just say "revert it to factory settings", but I feel like there's one more step to be completely safe.

Yeah, reverting to factory settings doesn't remove the programming information. To completely remove everything go to the dialer, press ##786#, enter your MSL, then hit reset.

This of course assumes you know your MSL, but you can call sprint and get that info.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For anyone wondering about Premier upgrade eligibility after dropping down to silver, I just got some answers from a Sprint chat. We need to call Telesales at 877-746-8249 to have someone manually reset the eligibility date, then we're free to buy whatever we want at the discount pricing. I got confirmation that I would be able to get the EVO 3D for $199.99. I can post the contents of the chat log if anyone wants.

I just called this number and the rep basically flat out told me no.

mtr
May 15, 2008

McPhearson posted:

Yeah, reverting to factory settings doesn't remove the programming information. To completely remove everything go to the dialer, press ##786#, enter your MSL, then hit reset.

This of course assumes you know your MSL, but you can call sprint and get that info.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking about. I know my MSL from when I installed Cyanogen mod.

Which brings me to my next question. What's the etiquette on selling a rooted phone? I plan on flashing it back to my stock Sense recovery image and updating it with the newest 2.3 OTA, but can I leave it rooted when I sell it? Will 95% of people who might buy it even notice that it's rooted?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

fuzzi posted:

Try again. Different reps do different things. The rep you spoke to might not know the policy, or knew the policy and another one won't, or might have been in a bad mood.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

fuzzi posted:

Are you in the same situation, having been premier, now premier silver, and bought your last phone last June? If so I don't see why you'd be told no. Like ShowTime said, call back and try again.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mtr posted:

What's the etiquette on selling a rooted phone?
It's fine to sell a rooted phone, but do mention it's S-OFF and what it's running if you don't want to flash back to stock. If you do flash to stock, I wouldn't root it, but keep it S-OFF.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of setting S-ON. Even if whomever you sell it to wants to run stock ROM, S-OFF isn't going to hurt them, and it avoids any problems for someone who might want it S-OFF later.

Since the phone is likely (almost) a year old anyways, there's little expectation the manufacturer warranty still applying.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Didn't corporate discounts used to get applied to extra lines on family plans? I could have sworn I was getting money off each line previously, now additional lines are the standard $19.99.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

spidoman posted:

Didn't corporate discounts used to get applied to extra lines on family plans? I could have sworn I was getting money off each line previously, now additional lines are the standard $19.99.

That happened about a year ago if I recall correctly.

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001

fuzzi posted:

I emailed sprint through their website, and they replied with a huge explanation about how Premier silver is still so awesome even though I didn't get to use my upgrade, but at the bottom of the email he said.

ecare posted:

Looking your inconvenience in this regard, I discussed the case with my
Supervisor. I am really happy to inform you that we can offer you a new
HTC EVO 3D phone at online price. The online price for this handset is
$199.99.

You can purchase this phone at online price once this handset will be
available on June 24, 2011.

However there is no instruction on how to order it and my upgrade still says its 115 days away.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I also sent an email to sprintcares@sprint.com basically explaining how I was sold on the service by the rep explaining that I would be a Premier customer and receive the full subsidy price for a new phone every year. They got back with me about 3 hours later saying they are making my account eligible for all discounts and rebates effective immediately as a one time courtesy.

About 20 mins after I got it, I sent a txt to 1331 saying "Upgrade" and it sent back that I could save 150 now with a 2 year contract so it took effect really quick.

edit: I shouldn't have to say this, but for anyone that is going to try it just be courteous in your email. I just explained the details of my situation and then asked nicely if I could get my upgrade pushed up as that was what I originally expected. I also included my name, phone, and PIN in the email. Thanks for you time, etc.

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 8, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For anyone wondering about Premier upgrade eligibility after dropping down to silver, I just got some answers from a Sprint chat. We need to call Telesales at 877-746-8249 to have someone manually reset the eligibility date, then we're free to buy whatever we want at the discount pricing. I got confirmation that I would be able to get the EVO 3D for $199.99. I can post the contents of the chat log if anyone wants.
I called Telesales and they said the EVO 3D should be in the Telesales system on the 19th. They will call me back at that time and give me the full upgrade price rather than the $75 silver discount. They couldn't unlock my upgrade to use the Amazon Wireless price yet, but also sounded surprised that it was on there already.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found out that on 6/10 (Friday) the 4G upload speed cap is being raised from 1mbps to 1.5mbps. This is happening on the network end so you won't need to update your phone to take advantage of it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

mtr posted:

In preparation for the Evo 3D launch, I'm going to sell my Evo on craigslist or Ebay. I know the obvious step of deleting my SD card and reverting the phone back to factory settings, but for some reason I think I remember reading (maybe in this thread) that there is some code I should look up/erase/change so that whoever gets my phone has no chance of doing anything with my Sprint account.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've googled around and websites just say "revert it to factory settings", but I feel like there's one more step to be completely safe.

If you're paranoid, deleting your SD card does nothing. There are free programs that can recover "deleted" files off of an SD card. Either get a program that will fully erase your SD or just buy a new one for $10 and put it in there.

McPhearson posted:

Do this before you activate a new phone. The reps cannot look up an MSL on an inactive phone.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I called Telesales and was told a different story than what the chat rep said. She said there's no resetting the eligibility, but that my account had been notated that I'm eligible since I meet the requirements for an override. I can call Telesales when the EVO 3D is available and they will manually override the price to $199. Or I could have bought any other phone today at the cheapest price. I texted 1311 again and I'm still getting only $75 off, but that makes sense according to what she said. In principle I don't care how I get the phone for $199, but I'd rather not wait longer than I have to. I'll try e-mailing Sprint tomorrow to see if they can actually reset my eligibility.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Typically, third parties like Amazon will allow you to do an in-place upgrade--that is to say, upgrade sans any changes to your account.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Returned the online bought nexus to a corporate store today.

Back to the Pre till I see some Evo 3d reviews. Sigh.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I had something weird happen with my shift today. I was taking a picture of the digital odometer in my car and after a couple seconds, the camera app shut off and there was a message that a DMR license was required and the picture wasn't saved.

Was it a fluke or is there a bunch of other things I can't take pictures of?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Odometer piracy is serious business.

You should try again, to see if it was just a one-time fluke or not. Also maybe try other things, like a TV.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What the hell? Could they really be doing that? That is crazy. I know technology like Google Goggles exists and is quite impressive, but the normal phone app connecting and doing image recognition? I'm sure there would be some kind of privacy issue there.

Edit: I have a feeling it a system bug of some kind, not related to what you are taking pictures of. That would be insane. Were you playing music at the same time?

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm a little confused at this premier upgrade thing so if someone could clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

Let's say I want to get an EVO 3D at a sprint store where they are saying it's $200. I have a pre-existing plan with a pre-existing phone however, I'm eligible for the $75 instant premier rebate thing. Does this mean I'm paying $125 for the phone and nothing extra but maybe that $10 smartphone fee? Or am I paying more than $200 because that number isn't the original phone price?

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

jaku78 posted:

Or am I paying more than $200 because that number isn't the original phone price?

This. You're paying something like $425 (off-contract minus your $75 credit) because you don't get access to the instant rebates either without the full upgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jaku78 posted:

I'm a little confused at this premier upgrade thing so if someone could clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

Let's say I want to get an EVO 3D at a sprint store where they are saying it's $200. I have a pre-existing plan with a pre-existing phone however, I'm eligible for the $75 instant premier rebate thing. Does this mean I'm paying $125 for the phone and nothing extra but maybe that $10 smartphone fee? Or am I paying more than $200 because that number isn't the original phone price?

When did you get your last phone, and are you on a family plan?

To everyone asking, the only time to be concerned about buying 3rd party like Amazon is if you are eprp or sero. Corporate discounts on regular plans never get changed with something like that. Also, sprint very rarely audits to see if you still work where you are at, and only would do so in instances of extreme fraud (Wells Fargo had a situation there).

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

When did you get your last phone, and are you on a family plan?

To everyone asking, the only time to be concerned about buying 3rd party like Amazon is if you are eprp or sero. Corporate discounts on regular plans never get changed with something like that. Also, sprint very rarely audits to see if you still work where you are at, and only would do so in instances of extreme fraud (Wells Fargo had a situation there).

Really don't remember when exactly quite a few months ago. I'm eligible for 2 year premier in December it says though. And yeah I'm on a family plan and one of my family members doesn't mind taking my old phone for me to grab a new one with their upgrade premier thing but they'd really like it if they can keep their old number if it's possible for convenience, not sure how that will fly.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
things are heating up!!

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/06/08/sprint-iphone-currently-undergoing-advanced-testing/

quote:

e've heard a couple of rumblings in the past month or so suggesting that a Sprint iPhone may be on the horizon, and tonight the mythical device is back in the news. According to unnamed sources speaking with 9to5Mac, a version of the iPhone similar to the iPhone 4, possibly the iPhone 4S, is currently being testing by both Apple and Sprint. The tipsters claim that Apple ordered Sprint cell towers for their campus in late 2010 in order to test the device, which is similar to the process Apple went through while prepping the Verizon iPhone. The device that's currently in testing is said to be 3G-only, although it's said that talks of producing a 4G Sprint iPhone are underway. However, those negotiations may cause the device to be pushed to late next year, meaning that if we see a Sprint iPhone this year, it likely will not be 4G-enabled.

edit: and reminder that the motorola event is today, too

torb main fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 9, 2011

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm waiting for this Motorola event to convince me not to pre-order the 3D.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

things are heating up!!

http://www.phonedog.com/2011/06/08/sprint-iphone-currently-undergoing-advanced-testing/

edit: and reminder that the motorola event is today, too
I would say that Apple ordering Sprint towers (Can they do that? I'll have two towers to go, please. I guess if anyone can, Apple can.) combined with the announcement that the iPhone is no longer carrier exclusive is pretty solid evidence that it will eventually be on Sprint. I'm more interested in the how, though. Verizon rushed to get it, so they got a 3G-only device. If Sprint waited, I can almost guarantee it was because they wanted to launch a 4G-capable version. But would Apple put the time and effort into a WiMax device just for Sprint? Or is this evidence that Sprint is ready to launch an LTE network? The latter makes more sense, given that it would minimize the amount of custom hardware Apple would have to manufacture.

Doesn't matter much to me either way... I'm pretty happy with Android, and iOS would seem like a step backwards to me. My mom, on the other hand...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Good to see the Sprint iPhone rumor still has legs, I'll get the EVO3D this year and when I'm ready for another upgrade there should be a plethora of things to choose from.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the anticipated timetable for Sprint activating LTE? I suspect they could wait until there are 4G iPhones for VZW and AT&T to release one of their own too.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

CharlesM posted:

What the hell? Could they really be doing that? That is crazy. I know technology like Google Goggles exists and is quite impressive, but the normal phone app connecting and doing image recognition? I'm sure there would be some kind of privacy issue there.

Edit: I have a feeling it a system bug of some kind, not related to what you are taking pictures of. That would be insane. Were you playing music at the same time?

No music playing but I'll try it again.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Can one of you fine Sprint goons clear up some contract renewal questions for me?

I'm currently on a regular (no SERO, EPRP, corp discount, etc) family plan that's eligible for the $150 upgrade credit. Three Pres and a dumbphone on the account if that matters.

1) Does the upgrade credit apply to all lines on the account? Eg: if I wanted to get four Evo 3Ds, would I get them all for $199 apiece?

2) If so, does everyone on the account have to upgrade at the same time? One of the people on the account wants a new phone, but won't have 200 bucks of discretionary income until she starts her new job and gets a few paychecks deposited.

3) If I wanted to roll over to EPRP to partially mitigate the new $10/month smartphone tax, how would this work? None of the people on the plan are completely adamant about keeping their current numbers, but it would be nice.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

1) Upgrade credits are on a line by line basis. Each line that is 22 months in is eligible. Upgrading one line does not trip the contract renewal on all others.

2) Nope. It would be easier when it comes time for the family plan people to go their separate ways if everyone had the contract on the same dates, but it is not necessary

3) Pretty sure you will have to kill your sprint service entirely then start a new EPRP plan after a cooling off period, something like six months? One of the sprint sellers here could tell you better.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Leathal posted:

2) If so, does everyone on the account have to upgrade at the same time? One of the people on the account wants a new phone, but won't have 200 bucks of discretionary income until she starts her new job and gets a few paychecks deposited.

God no. I have 5 lines and right now I have it where I get at least 2 upgrades every year. Me & my wife upgrade whatever lines are available and switch the phones to our numbers. We than give our kids the old phones. My son is was pissed that I am waiting for the Nexus 3 because he wants my EVO.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/motorolas-4-3-inch-photon-4g-brings-tegra-2-kickstand-magic-to/

photon 4g

with the kickstand lol

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Oh, wow. And launching this summer. I wonder if that's taking the place of the Atrix that everyone was predicting.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wish Samsung would hurry up with information on the SGS2. It is the only phone that might get me to jump before the Nexus 3.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I talked to a guy on sprint chat the other day about getting full upgrade eligibility. He said he would go ahead and set this in my account and I would receive full upgrade for an evo 3d. If I login to my account it still just shows 75 dollar credit and if I try to preorder from amazon or bestbuy it says I'm not eligible but will be eligible on November 1st.

Anybody know why it isn't reflecting?

Edit: also texted the 1311 number and it says 11/1 for upgrade as well.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I contacted Ecare and they said they would reset my upgrade eligibility but it would take up to 72 hours to show up. So we'll see what happens.