Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Ziir posted:

No, that didn't help. I swear I had it working like regular backspace even just one hour ago.

You aren't accessing vi differently are you (i.e. ssh, xterm)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Ziir posted:

No, that didn't help. I swear I had it working like regular backspace even just one hour ago.

Try 'export TERM=gnome' without the quotes.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Modern Pragmatist posted:

You aren't accessing vi differently are you (i.e. ssh, xterm)?

I'm accessing it the same way I've always did, via ssh.

Underflow posted:

Try 'export TERM=gnome' without the quotes.

This makes it even worse. Now backspace adds some ? characters.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ziir posted:

Try deleting or mv-ing your .vimrc

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Ziir posted:

I'm accessing it the same way I've always did, via ssh.

This makes it even worse. Now backspace adds some ? characters.

See if 'export TERM=linux' or 'export TERM=vt100' returns you to the normal behaviour. If not, it's almost certainly something in your user config file like BlackMK4 says. Unless your /etc/profile has somehow been altered, which is unlikely.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Underflow posted:

See if 'export TERM=linux' or 'export TERM=vt100' returns you to the normal behaviour. If not, it's almost certainly something in your user config file like BlackMK4 says. Unless your /etc/profile has somehow been altered, which is unlikely.

Deleted my .vimrc file and tried those two settings but nope, none of it works. :wtc: maybe I really didn't have backspace functionality :psyduck:.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Ziir posted:

Deleted my .vimrc file and tried those two settings but nope, none of it works. :wtc: maybe I really didn't have backspace functionality :psyduck:.

Did either of those 2 exports at least change it back to what you had before 'TERM=gnome'? Also:

- is there a .terminfo file in your homedir? Was it always there?
- is there an .inputrc file in your homedir? Was it always there?

I have a thorough although pretty ancient doc on escape chars somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it up.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
We have a CentOS 5.x (?) box that is having an NFS/network load issue (I'm not sure of the version at the moment).

Basically, it is trying to load NFS automounts before eth0 is fully brought up.

Like, the logs look like this:
code:
15:55:32 localhost mount: mount: mount to NFS server 'goonbox' failed:
15:55:32 localhost mount: System Error: No route to host.
15:55:38 localhost kernel: tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
Then if log in, do mount -a, it makes the connection.

Searching Google tells me "tg3" is a Broadcom driver or something.

How do I change the order of whatever it's doing to make it attempt mounts after the Network is brought up?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Xenomorph posted:

We have a CentOS 5.x (?) box that is having an NFS/network load issue (I'm not sure of the version at the moment).

code:

How do I change the order of whatever it's doing to make it attempt mounts after the Network is brought up?
You could do it in rc.local I suppose. Just add some logic beforehand to make sure the host is up to be on the safe side, either ping it or ping google.

vvv⁻⁻⁻ That is a much better way, do that instead.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 8, 2011

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

code:

Add _netdev as an option in your fstab file. That makes it not be mounted until your network connection is up.

Edit: Alternatively you could use autofs (or similar) so that the NFS share is only mounted when the mountpoint is accessed.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 8, 2011

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I don't really know the best place to ask so I thought I try here. I really want to learn Linux, at least enough to know my way around especially the command prompt. I've got Ubuntu installed since it looks like a more simpler way for a newbie like me to get into it (in fact it looks like this version has made it even simpler).

My question is how did you guys learn the fundamentals of Linux? Experimenting? Is there a good tutorial out there you guys recommend I can use for an introduction? I'm a slow learner so just installing applications and working with drivers is difficult for me right now.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Real talk express: If you want to learn "linux" uninstall Ubuntu and use something like Slackware/CentOS or maybe Debian. Otherwise you'll just stare at Gnome for a couple hours and then get bored. The crappier the distro the better the learning experience will be, I'm not even kidding here.

Also get a study guide for the Linux+ or LPIC-1 since they cover all the basic commands and config files of a standard system.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Social Animal posted:

I really want to learn Linux, at least enough to know my way around especially the command prompt.

If you learn by doing, make use of Linux. Search for information on projects and make them happen: Install Apache, make a webpage with vi (or just learn to use vi is a huge start), learn how to use SSL with apache, use PHP, use MySQL. Your first shell script, your first relational database, make a blog. Make something cool with it. Learn which log files contain which information. Send and receive mail, make a Windows fileshare, etc. This is where Linux really excels, varied tasks in the server role. While easy for me to type this list, that in itself would take you quite a while to make happen, and you'll have issues that will take time to resolve.

If you learn by reading, either books from O'Reilly, Amazon, etc. Or learn by the tons of tutorials that are a google search away. As mentioned above, a study guide for a test would be a good idea too.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Social Animal posted:

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I don't really know the best place to ask so I thought I try here. I really want to learn Linux, at least enough to know my way around especially the command prompt. I've got Ubuntu installed since it looks like a more simpler way for a newbie like me to get into it (in fact it looks like this version has made it even simpler).

My question is how did you guys learn the fundamentals of Linux? Experimenting? Is there a good tutorial out there you guys recommend I can use for an introduction? I'm a slow learner so just installing applications and working with drivers is difficult for me right now.

Mosly it's just about using it and learning as you go. Start with the basics, and learn more and more advanced things as needed. I grew up on DOS so basic operations are very familiar/similar though some may have different names: (cd, mkdir, dir/ls, del/rm, move/mv, etc.) Use a cheat sheet until you get more famliiar with command names (this was just one of the first google results, there may be better ones out there). Read man pages (starting with "man man")to get acquainted with new commands, or to remind you of obscure, lesser-used options for commands you may already be somewhat familiar with.

-There's rarely a newbie linux question that can't be answered by a simple google search.
-You can also ask questions on ubuntuforums.org or other linux specific forums
-You can try IRC chat and can often receive a more immediate response than forums may provide: ##linux on freenode.net for general questions or any of the myriad application-specific IRC channels for GNU/Linux software(typically also on freenode.net servers)
-http://ubuntuguide.org for some nice step by step guides on common issues, mostly for initial configuration(application install, drivers, etc.) of a box.
-If you do need to ask a question online, try to ask smart questions to avoid being flamed/chastised.

Some other topics you might want to eventually look into:
-general or bash-specific(Bourne Again SHell, the most commonly used and imitated shell) shell concepts like tab-completion, standard input/output, pipes, redirects.
-How linux file/directory permissions work
-Linux Filesystem hierarchy (conventions of what types of files go under which paths, though some distros may vary)

I've been using linux for about 12 years, and Ubuntu for about 5. I think it is pretty decent beginner distro that for the most part "just works", and despite the cries of various neckbeards who equate "time spent unnecessarily manually configuring a bunch of poo poo" with how "elite" a distro is, it is perfectly suitable for experienced users as well, who would rather spend their time just getting the important poo poo done. That said, the latest Ubuntu does feature a new graphical interface which is... controversial to say the least. Personally I did not care for it and, reverted to the "classic" gnome inteface. You can read more about it in the Ubuntu thread if you haven't already seen it.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to load up CentOS and jump between that and Ubuntu to check it out. I think what I'm for sure going to do is checkout the Linux+ study material and get some basics with that and then set up a server just to see if I can figure it all out.

Again thanks for the responses, you guys got me off to a good start.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You might want to try setting up a box or vm with a console-only install. Then you will be forced to figured out how to do things in the console. Should be easy to do with most distros, but you might have to get the "server" version of some of them.

Try out a bunch of the distros, too. They are subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) different and have diverging methods for handling package management, startup, configs, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Social Animal posted:

I've got Ubuntu installed since it looks like a more simpler way for a newbie like me to get into it (in fact it looks like this version has made it even simpler).

Grab this book and just sit around and play with it for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-2011-Covering-10-10/dp/0672333449/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Social Animal posted:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to load up CentOS and jump between that and Ubuntu to check it out. I think what I'm for sure going to do is checkout the Linux+ study material and get some basics with that and then set up a server just to see if I can figure it all out.

Again thanks for the responses, you guys got me off to a good start.

I had a lot of fun poking around Slackware back in the 1990s. I was so excited when I got 3.3 on CD (I had only used Floppy installs before). :3:

Most of what I do now is command-line in Ubuntu Server. I think we're sticking with CentOS on the Desktop.

Does anyone still recommend Gentoo?

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Xenomorph posted:

I had a lot of fun poking around Slackware back in the 1990s. I was so excited when I got 3.3 on CD (I had only used Floppy installs before). :3:

I remember the Box O' Fifty Floppies(TM). I had a blast blowing away my 386 and installing Slackware or SLS.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

^^ My first linux install was slackware via floppy. Had a giant stack of howto printouts because I was dualbooting my only PC.

Xenomorph posted:

I admin a server running Gentoo and it has been working great for a long time. My personal boxes are ubuntu or arch now, though. I just found it to be too annoying to keep a gentoo box up to date when it involved compiling x, kde, etc.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

Well, last time I used it was about 6 years ago I think. It's a pretty good way to learn a bit more of the inner workings of the system IMO, but these days I'd just recommend arch instead.

Either should be fine though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I'm not sure compiling things from the AUR is much better.

Has Arch fixed their "QA is not our responsibility" philosophy? Last time I ran it, they pushed a new (incompatible) version of ncurses that broke half the packages on my system.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The AUR is incredibly easy.

yaourt -Sy packagename --noconfirm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

taqueso posted:

^^ My first linux install was slackware via floppy. Had a giant stack of howto printouts because I was dualbooting my only PC.

Nothing like booting Windows, visiting a couple websites, printing them out or writing stuff down, then booting back into Linux and trying poo poo out. Then having to go back to Windows. Or hell, not even being able to boot Linux in the first place.

:stat: drat kids today with their laptops, able to surf while they install. I remember helping people out in IRC. They'd keep popping in and out of the channel, between reboots and dialing up, and if they were lucky, and persistent, eventually they'd be back using Linux :haw:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Nothing like booting Windows, visiting a couple websites, printing them out or writing stuff down, then booting back into Linux and trying poo poo out. Then having to go back to Windows. Or hell, not even being able to boot Linux in the first place.

:stat: drat kids today with their laptops, able to surf while they install. I remember helping people out in IRC. They'd keep popping in and out of the channel, between reboots and dialing up, and if they were lucky, and persistent, eventually they'd be back using Linux :haw:

My shiny new 28.8 was a Winmodem. So besides reading documentation and downloading Linux while in Windows, I was completely offline once I got Linux to boot.
I even put my 14.4 back in for a little while since it was only an RPI modem and I could then get online with Linux.

I made damned sure my next modem was a hardware one after using three software modems in a row (2400, 14.4, 28.8).

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I am having shitloads of problems with my arch system, the power went out during a thunderstorm and poo poo hit the fan and my system seems to have lost a lot of the shared libraries amongst other things. I have attempted to re-install the various lib packages through pacman/doing from the CLI multiple times to no avail.

To the question, any way to outright completely remove all but the base installation including updates without losing config files and/or the system completely making GBS threads itself? I guess if I have to I could reinstall the system, I am assuming linux does not mind me keeping my home partition and deleting the other ones.

Sorry if this is badly written, have been up for 24 hours most of which was dedicated to attempting to fix the problems.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

This thread has some interesting little scripts for reinstalling all packages on an Arch system. I'd back up whatever you can before you try them, especially /etc/.

If that doesn't work, I'd probably backup and reinstall. I don't have experience with Arch linux specifically, but in general I'd tar up /etc/ and /var/ and reinstall the system without formatting volumes. Reinstall any missing packages/updates from there, and then replace any configuration files that returned to default with the copies from your backups. If you want to be extra careful you could use tar/rsync/clonezilla to backup the whole system to another hard drive before you start.

BnT fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 9, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=13882&p=1 has a script that is supposed to be like gentoo's revdep-rebuild.

This says it will download all installed packages: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Tips#Redownloading_all_installed_packages_.28minus_AUR.29

I feel like I should know how to fix your problem, but I don't. Please tell us what works.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work as expected (apache 2)?
code:
	RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^subsite.website.com$
	RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ http://www.newurl.dk/$1 [QSA,R=301,NE]
When I try accessing http://subsite.website.com/Literally_whatever I get a redirect to http://www.newurl.dk/Literally_whatever, but if I just access http://subsite.website.com/ with no path, I get no redirect at all?!

^/(.*)$ ought to match a request for "/" in my book.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.
Which distro is the better choice for a small-scale (personal) VPS: Ubuntu or Debian?

I'm looking at these guys for hosting, and of the OSs they offer as standard, Ubuntu and Debian seem best for me, but I'm not sure which to go with.

It'll mostly be for my own personal projects with a few small-scale websites, so I'm not too worried about utmost stability and would rather have access to the most up-to-date packages. Supposedly Debian's slow release cycle means Ubuntu is better in this regard?

Also, what's the difference between vanilla Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server? Is the distinction worth worrying about? The host I linked to above just uses a pre-created desktop Ubuntu template for their VM (from here), but I might be able to persuade them set me up with Ubuntu Server if it's worth it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Security updates still get backported to debian stable, so only thing you need to consider would be if you need features that are present only in newer packages.

Personally, I'd go with debian.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Comatoast posted:

The AUR is incredibly easy.

yaourt -Sy packagename --noconfirm

While I don't disagree, I'm really not sure how this is any better than "emerge packagename", since you're compiling it either way (and compiles with Gentoo were the complaint).

Carthag posted:

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work as expected (apache 2)?
code:
	RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^subsite.website.com$
	RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ [url]http://www.newurl.dk/[/url]$1 [QSA,R=301,NE]
When I try accessing http://subsite.website.com/Literally_whatever I get a redirect to http://www.newurl.dk/Literally_whatever, but if I just access http://subsite.website.com/ with no path, I get no redirect at all?!

^/(.*)$ ought to match a request for "/" in my book.
Is there a reason why you're not just using:
code:
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ [url]http://www.newurl.dk/[/url]$1 [R=301, L]
If you're redirecting an entire site?

Inquisitus posted:

Which distro is the better choice for a small-scale (personal) VPS: Ubuntu or Debian?
Whatever you're more comfortable with.

Inquisitus posted:

It'll mostly be for my own personal projects with a few small-scale websites, so I'm not too worried about utmost stability and would rather have access to the most up-to-date packages. Supposedly Debian's slow release cycle means Ubuntu is better in this regard?
Ubuntu is essentially Debian unstable. Just use that. Debian's much better about having, ah... reasonable dependencies on packages, so your VPS won't get crapped up quite as fast.

Inquisitus posted:

Also, what's the difference between vanilla Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server? Is the distinction worth worrying about?
GNOME/KDE/whatever. CD has BIND, Apache, other server crap. Basically the same, marginally different kernel (which doesn't make a difference if you're on OpenVZ/Xen PV anyway, as far as I know).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

evol262 posted:

Is there a reason why you're not just using:
code:
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ [url]http://www.newurl.dk/[/url]$1 [R=301, L]
If you're redirecting an entire site?

Turns out there was another redirect elsehwere (in a different file) with a [L,PT] flags so I didn't see any strange output when it was just rewriting poo poo behind the scenes. Thanks anyway :|

The slash is just for prettiness so I don't get "newurl.dk//blah"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Is there a standard utility/script for adding and removing daemons from rc.conf in arch? I'm writing some fabric scripts to deploy a webserver and would like to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007

evol262 posted:

(which doesn't make a difference if you're on OpenVZ/Xen PV anyway, as far as I know).

On OpenVZ/Virtuozzo, you're correct; Xen (since early 3.0) has features to allow loading the kernel out of the domU's filesystem, and most deployments use that, because it's generally better and simpler to use distro kernels when possible. (I say this as someone involved in implementing a Xen-based VM hosting platform.)

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.

evol262 posted:

Ubuntu is essentially Debian unstable. Just use that. Debian's much better about having, ah... reasonable dependencies on packages, so your VPS won't get crapped up quite as fast.

I'm leaning toward Debian in that case. I'll see if they're willing to set me up with testing/unstable, but they might be reluctant screw around with specific distros/releases rather than using the pre-created VMs, so is it simple to upgrade from Debian stable?

Also, what is there between testing and unstable? How unstable actually is unstable?

Inquisitus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 9, 2011

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Inquisitus posted:

so is it simple to upgrade from Debian stable?
Yes

Inquisitus posted:

How unstable actually *is* unstable?
Not very unstable in my experience.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Inquisitus posted:

I'm leaning toward Debian in that case. I'll see if they're willing to set me up with testing/unstable, but they might be reluctant screw around with specific distros/releases rather than using the pre-created VMs, so is it simple to upgrade from Debian stable?

Also, what is there between testing and unstable? How unstable actually is unstable?

Debian unstable is actually pretty stable - probably more so than Ubuntu

Also you don't have to ask them to set you up with unstable, if they can set you up with stable you can either make the switch manually or grab smxi and do it the easy way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inquisitus posted:

When they say 'unstable' they don't mean that in terms of crashing or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Inquisitus posted:

Just to say, you're ordering a VPS. Learn to manage it yourself. You could install Gentoo in a chroot and swap over to it from there. Makes no difference to them, really. Templates are for their convenience, but you can do whatever.