Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) It's A Wonderful Life- always avoided it because I thought it seemed cheesy, but I keep hearing good things

It's June but still an easy recommendation. It has small doses of cheese but not nearly as much as some other films.

The Best Years of Our Lives - I once thought it'd be interesting to see a movie about soldiers coming home like this and seeing how they integrated back into society. Well, it's been done.

I remember a WWII veteran coming to my high school and talking about the Battle of the Bulge and many other events he went through while in Europe. One of the things that stuck out was him describing the ridiculously lavish, weeklong parties he partook in after the war finally ended. Jumping in a pool of beer etc. He described people staying up for days and getting drunk and being high on adrenaline for weeks just because they'd made it out alive. It was a strange experience to come out of because many soldiers were pretty sure they'd get blown up or shot because they'd seen so many of their friends meet that fate.
So when some of the characters in the film were doing the barhopping I was reminded of the stories that guy told.

The film comes in at just under 3 hours long. It weaves in and out of the lives of three servicemen who keep running into each other in their small town. All of them have unique problems to overcome.

There was a lot of mediocre acting in the film but not enough to detract from the overall story too much. It's easy to see that Harold Russell (Homer) isn't a very capable actor.

Also watched:

Witness for the Prosecution - Another good Wilder movie. Not my favorite by any means because I've grown very tired of courtroom scenes and the usual histrionics that come with them. It's one of those settings I get more weary of year by year. But that's only half the film. I liked the story of the barrister who can't give up his profession to even save his life. The first half hour involves him simply trying to get up the stairs on his electric chair to begrudgingly take a nap. He also sports a glowing and shiny monocle that I wouldn't mind questioning people with myself.

The last ten minutes or so I didn't see coming. I guess the end result was predictable but the roundabout way it happened was special. I also noticed one scene that was evidently parodied by Blazing Saddles some years later.

Was blood type admissable as court evidence back then? Much less precise than our DNA of today.

The Bourne Identity - This was a fun ride and hit all the right notes with timing and pacing. One I would've liked to see in the theaters. I liked the way they portrayed the CIA (both humorously at times and sinisterly as well). Good interaction between the characters..lots in this genre are just 2 hour long car chases. A lot of interesting exterior shots and an atypical car choice for much of the film. If it was Bond or the transporter he would've no doubt been driving some $100K+ car.

IMDb list:

#112 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#167 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#170 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#171 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#188 The Night of the Hunter - Never even heard of it besides the references in the thread. 6/2/11

NEW #192 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

NEW #193 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

NEW #196 The Killing - Older Kubrick movie I believe. 6/8/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

#196 The Killing - Older Kubrick movie I believe. 6/8/11

Can't go wrong with Sterling Hayden.

M: From the looks of this movie, it seems like Fritz Lang was operating on a whole different level than his contemporaries. The camera work is amazingly ambitious, and the mood is relentlessly dark and dreary. Despite its perpetually inspired imagery, it does tend to drag in some areas, and perhaps that comes from a general lack of characterization, although Peter Lorre's final monologue is segregated from that statement. You can really see the influence on so many future works all the way up to today.

1. The Great Dictator: I've only seen two Chaplins (Gold Rush and Modern Times) and thoroughly adored them both.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Shane: I'm trying really hard to get through the majority of these classic Westerns.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Nashville: There's got a lot of classic Altman I haven't seen.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. Blue Velvet: My Lynch canon is in dire need of some beefing up.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Kull the Conqueror, lots of great stuff there, let's go with Tokyo Story.

Muerte de un ciclista is an bit of a hard film to describe. Superficially it's not much different than any 40s or 50s Hollywood drama with a bit of criminal intrigue and troubled romance in upper class society. On that level it's a really strong film, tightly scripted with great characters and wonderful use of closeups and cuts. Where it really shines is in the margins, though. The unspoken but obvious symbolism of the titular death, the underlying significance of the character backgrounds we discover, the sly contrasts of personalities and class, and a wonderfully executed ending, all of these things really bring it up a notch to greatness.

Updated list:

Plein soleil Clément is another director from whom I've seen one magnificent film and never got around to watching any others.

Un homme et une femme Don't know much about this, a romance of some sort.

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Fat Girl From one fat girl Criterion to another.

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Un coeur en hiver Some French film about a violinist. I dunno, it's on the TSPDT list.

Porgy and Bess I don't actually know what this is about, I think it's a romance of some sort, but I've been meaning to watch more Preminger.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Un homme et une femme Don't know much about this, a romance of some sort.
Looks French enough!

Annie Hall is a fun movie. I've never really liked rom-coms to put it lightly, but this kept itself very humorous and at times outright hilarious. Good show from a film that normally wouldn't be my cup of tea.

New List:

1. This is Spinal Tap - Looks like a movie I would love.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me by my father (I love a good action movie).

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. If I can watch it I would finally be able to argue why Wall-E deserved it! I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. A Streetcar Named Desire - More Brando I haven't seen.

7. How to Train Your Dragon - Goon favorite. I guess I'm making this my animated slot.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Harvey - Know nothing other than it's another James Stewart movie that was well received. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far.

10. Patton - One of the more shameful war movies I have yet to see.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

marioinblack posted:

10. Patton - One of the more shameful war movies I have yet to see.

George C. Scott is fantastic in this one. The rest of the movie is great too.

Django was awesome. Violent, dirty and nasty all around, in the good sense. Was quite fun in it's own strange way, can see a lot of ideas that Sam Peckinpah took for his own bloody western The Wild Bunch a couple of years later. Also that theme song kicked rear end. Could have dispensed the mud wrestling between the world's silliest hookers though. Not sure what the deal was with that.

My Shame List:

The Asphalt Jungle Cause my list doesn't have enough Noir/Crime movies!

Stray Dog Another Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Strangers on a Train CSI did a remake of this episode of sorts. It was terrible.

The French Connection Only know the car chase scene.

The King Of Comedy Scorsese's overlooked gem?

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that joke.

Shane One of the Classic Westerns.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Rapt, which is apparently the original title - in English it's The Kidnapping was awful slow for an hour and a half long movie, but it was also staggeringly beautiful.It's basically a not-as-good version of Kuleshov's By The Law, but they take the premise and run with it. Flawless camerawork, interesting soundscape, and some well-sketched characters. Also, surprise tits!

Electronico6, it's just about time for you to watch Strangers on a Train.

New list:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

New: The Tarnished Angels Sirk's favorite Sirk movie.

The Champ I do love my boxing movies.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Red Beard You would not believe how long I've had this sitting around unviewed.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 9, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Kuleshov's By The Law,

Is this good? It's one I've been considering adding to my list.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is this good? It's one I've been considering adding to my list.

It's pretty impressive. It's claustrophobic as gently caress.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

penismightier posted:

The Champ I do love my boxing movies.
While I haven't seen it and don't really like boxing. The sport does allow itself to have great movies.

Well I knew from the outset that Patton opens up with one of the more memorable speeches in film history which it proved itself to be, but there was so much more to the film that I didn't know about. Scott does a fantastic job with the character and really oozes the rear end in a top hat that Patton was set out to be in this film.

New List:

3. Nikita - Same director as Leon, all I know is it's action and has been recommended to me by my father (I love a good action movie).

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. If I can watch it I would finally be able to argue why Wall-E deserved it! I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

7. How to Train Your Dragon - Goon favorite. I guess I'm making this my animated slot.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Harvey - Know nothing other than it's another James Stewart movie that was well received. I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far.

10. Yojimbo - It's about time for Kurosawa to appear on this list again. Would be going into this blind.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

marioinblack posted:

I wouldn't call Harvey a masterpiece or a classic, but it was certainly ahead of its time. Held my attention better than most movies from this era.

The Crazies(1973) held up when compared to the modern day remake. While the remake felt more like a zombie survival movie, the original focused more on the social ramifications of a military quarantine. Both movies are good, but in different ways.

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by.
2. Garden State - I always thought this would be a quick and easy movie that I might enjoy.
3. Any of the Star Trek films - Are there any in particular that I should see?
4. Die Hard - I dunno...it slipped through somehow.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Barton Fink - One of the few Coen bros. movies I haven't seen.
7. Requiem for a Dream - One of the few heroin movies I haven't seen.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. M - I've heard a lot about it, and it looks neat, so why not.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Treebeh, let's go with M.

Whoa! This thread is really kicking it back up a notch for me. The other day I said Muerte de un ciclista was the best I'd seen in a month, well Un homme et une femme is the best I've seen in nearly a year. Absolutely fantastic stuff that really uses the medium to do things that wouldn't be possible in a book or play. It's playful and romantic and brutally honest without being cynical. It reminded me a bit of Before Sunrise/Sunset, only even better, a little less talky but more creative and just as emotionally resonant. Really, I just loved the tone it struck and it's magnificently executed.

Updated list:

Plein soleil Clément is another director from whom I've seen one magnificent film and never got around to watching any others.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Un coeur en hiver Some French film about a violinist. I dunno, it's on the TSPDT list.

Porgy and Bess I don't actually know what this is about, I think it's a romance of some sort, but I've been meaning to watch more Preminger.

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Not really a fan of the two Ken Jacobs shorts I've seen, but this seems like essential avant garde cinema.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, go with Plein soleil

It's A Wonderful Life was a good bit darker than I was expecting. It had it;s corny parts, but as a whole it was very enjoyable. Stewart was great and I actually enjoyed watching him be a dick to everyone around him as his life unraveled. I basically was expecting an "aw shucks" character the whole way through, so it was nice to see some depth. Also, it's actually kind of depressing for the first 2/3 of the movie and while the end is uplifting enough, you still can't help but to feel a little bad for him.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) Metropolis- it's time I saw this
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Network- I know the famous line, now it's time to see the movie it came from
6) Lady Vengeance- hear this is better than Old Boy
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

5) Network- I know the famous line, now it's time to see the movie it came from

There are plenty of other great lines.

Despite the movie being ruined by CSI, I found Strangers on a Train to be quite good. But I have some reservations to it. There's plenty of well...stupid moments. More stupid than the average Hitchcock movie. His movies have always a silly(or plenty) of plenty of silly moments, but with the flow of the movie you never quite get them, and it's silliness just blends into the narrative seamlessly. But with Strangers I noticed the dumb moments. Bruno letting the lighter fall into the sewer grate, then manages to get his ENTIRE arm through it, and the cop shooting into the merry go round(filled with children) and murdering an innocent bystander, are the moments I'm talking about. They just got me out of the movie and made me groan at what was happening.

But there's plenty of great cinematography and amazing play with shadows, and Robert Walker is brilliant, so when the movie is great it's really great but when it's bad, it's bad enough to distract you. Though I think the good outweighs the bad. I guess there's no perfect movie. :v:

My Shame List:

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

North by Northwest Only two to go on the Grant-Hitchcock library.

The French Connection Only know the car chase scene.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that joke.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Electronico6, see The French Connection.

M - I actually fell asleep watching this. Maybe I know nothing of quality film making, but this really bored me. There were a few moments where I felt something, but overall, not an extremely positive experience.

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by.
2. Garden State - I always thought this would be a quick and easy movie that I might enjoy.
3. Any of the Star Trek films - Are there any in particular that I should see?
4. Die Hard - I dunno...it slipped through somehow.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Barton Fink - One of the few Coen bros. movies I haven't seen.
7. Requiem for a Dream - One of the few heroin movies I haven't seen.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Let Me In - I loved the Swedish original and I heard good things about this American remake.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5), M(3/5)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Treebeh, you've got a great list, but I think Barton Fink is one of the greatest films I've ever seen, and easily the Coens' greatest masterpiece (in my humble opinion).

Aliens was excellent. It was completely different in mood and tone than the original, but that doesn't hurt the film at all. I had my wisdom teeth out today so it certainly has brightened things up. It's a perfect Sci-Fi action film, and I understand it's praise. If only James Cameron still made movies like this.

#25 The Magnificent Seven - Might as well watch the Americanized version now. Plus I love Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#64 Man Bites Dog - I hear this is really, really violent. Am I gonna regret putting this here?

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#70 Peeping Tom - This looks cool.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#72 I Am Cuba - I've taken up a recent interest in the Cuban revolution and this seems like an excellent primary source to learn from. Also sounds cool in general.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Going to try eking my way back in after pussing out on my last one.

The first ten entries on my Instant Queue
(excluding TV series (and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" :blush:)

1) The Sting
2) A Prophet
3) An Education
4) Mean Streets
5) The Science of Sleep - loved "Eternal Sunshine", so why not?
6) Dog Day Afternoon - started it, enjoyed it, never finished
7) Barton Fink
8) Being John Malkovich
9) Le Cercle Rouge
10) All About Eve

TrixRabbi: I'll say "The Magnificent Seven".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

2) A Prophet

You pussed out on watching The Godfather, but you're up for A Prophet? It's like the same movie but not half as good.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Soundtrack To Mary, I'll give you Le Cercle Rouge and you'd better actually watch it.

Plein soleil is a solid Ripley adaptation (something I didn't realize until about 15 minutes in). Delon is so charismatic as Ripley that you can't help but want to see how things unfold for him. While I didn't care too much about what happened to any of the characters, I did want to see how things would unfold. So once I realized where the film was going I was plenty satisfied. I must say some of the stuff feels dated (telegrams, easy to forge documents, etc) but more in a way that makes you think about how much has changed than in any way that appreciably devalues the experience.

Updated list:

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Not really a fan of the two Ken Jacobs shorts I've seen, but this seems like essential avant garde cinema.

By The Law Impressive Russian silent? Sure, why not.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

penismightier posted:

You pussed out on watching The Godfather, but you're up for A Prophet? It's like the same movie but not half as good.

Yeah, but it's French. So that automatically makes it a classic.

Right? :ohdear:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, but it's French. So that automatically makes it a classic.

And The Godfather's not?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

PA, let's see what you think of By The Law.

The Champ, I dunno. It's a bit too much. Cooper's too cute, Beery - who I usually love - is too dull. Everybody's too much. It's not a bad movie, but it's certainly no classic. Give me The Set-Up any day.

New list:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

The Tarnished Angels Sirk's favorite Sirk movie.

New: Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

Red Beard You would not believe how long I've had this sitting around unviewed.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10)

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, go with Red Beard

Network was great and also very timely. Amazing how it has held up. For some reason I absolutely loved Robert Duvall in this. It had a bunch of great lines as well. just a great, well written film.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) Lady Vengeance- hear this is better than Old Boy
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Yes it is.

I'll admit I wasn't expecting much from The French Connection, didn't even knew it won Best Picture/Director, but holy poo poo it was great. I kinda see it as the 1970's The Wire(It even has a scene where the guy who is being followed waves at the cop). Very bleak, dirty and real. It doesn't hold back and presents things as they are. The famous car chase is pretty good but there is so much more film to it, than just a very well edited car chase. Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider are pretty fantastic, and New York looks incredibly dirty and sleazy(It's a 70's crime movie duh...), just gives this amazing atmosphere to it. Pleasantly surprised by a great movie.

My Shame List:

The Graduate Need context for all those Mrs. Robinson jokes

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

This one is memorable.

The Killing - The narration was a little overbearing at times. I didn't understand 75% of what Maurice said but this was offset by his fight scene. At least Maurice wasn't doing the narrating.

The ending stands out but it flat out irked me (and I do have to question the logic). I knew that dog was going to do something ruinous. Bad dog!

IMDb list:

#114 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11

#167 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#168 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#170 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#188 The Night of the Hunter - Never even heard of it besides the references in the thread. 6/2/11

#192 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

new #197 La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#198 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

penismightier posted:

And The Godfather's not?

Um...

i wouldn't know. :ohdear:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Um...

i wouldn't know. :ohdear:

GO WATCH THE GODFATHER. LIKE RIGHT NOW. SERIOUSLY.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
^^^ Seriously, watch part II also

Zogo posted:

#114 The King's Speech - Now out on DVD. New best picture. I saw some clips of it on the Academy Awards show. 4/27/11
While not my favorite movie of those nominated, it's pretty good and will give you an idea on what you think of the best picture winner.

I'm kind of particular about movies of the same ilk as Harvey and it's very hard for something of that comedy genre to stand out for me. I liked it a bit, but didn't enjoy at much as someone else would. Just didn't hit me the right way.

Since I figured no one else would recommend it for a while and I'm not sure why I put it on my list in the first place, I elected to watch Nikita on my own whim. Probably better to watch this before Leon because Leon does what this movie is going for much better. Had some good spots, especially during the first mission but was otherwise underwhelming. Just slightly above average.

New List:

3. Sin City - I need something to fill my action slot, and I've always watched the action movies that I've really wanted to see. I've heard good things about this though.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Yojimbo - It's about time for Kurosawa to appear on this list again. Would be going into this blind.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
God drat I've been at this for over a year now. Yet 67 pales in comparison to what PA is putting up.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

marioinblack posted:

I hear this one is quite good. :downs:

North by Northwest was very fun and amazing. Don't think it quite matches up to my Hitchcock favorites(Rear Window, Shadow of a Doubt and Vertigo), but it isn't far. Exciting movie with plenty of memorable moments and cinematography, and Cary Grant steals the show. The crop duster scene was one of those silly Hitchcock moments where logic stops to operate and it becomes spectacle. It kinda goes with the movie too. Instead of just driving by Grant and shoot him, the villain decides to get a plane and try to to kill him with it. The whole idea is quite silly, but it fits with the mood(The whole Spy vibe) of the movie and Hitchcock's sense of humor. Something I missed in the Merry Go Round scene of Strangers on a Train. It's a great set piece, quite fun and visually engaging. The ending shot was quite clever, made me laugh at least.

My Shame List:

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

The Graduate Need context for all those Mrs. Robinson jokes

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest.

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011
Hey I hope it's not too late for me to join in on this sweet film-nerdery.

To the poster above me I would recommend The King of Comedy, it may not be Scorcese's hidden masterpiece, but it's definitely a gem of sorts as it's so unusual in his filmography. It's most closely related to After Hours, but I wouldn't say it hit the mark quite as high. It is nonetheless a great performance by Robert De Niro (his smile really sticks with you) and a pretty funny black comedy.

Here's my shame list:

Pixote - I'm actually very keen to see this, especially after Bus 174, but at the same time hesitant because of it too.
Das Boot - Love German film, but slightly intimidated by the 4 1/2 hour run-time.
Any of the Three Colours Trilogy - Quite keen on this, maybe I just need more incentive.
Soy Cuba - Heard good things, especially the cinematography.
The Last Temptation of Christ - Not sure why, just never really paid much mind to it.
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Only saw Strozsek and I didn't particularly like it.
Most Hitchcock(except Psycho and Strangers on a Train)
Rashomon - Loved 7 Samurai, I just don't often venture this far back, but I usually come out pleasantly surprised too so who knows.
2001: A Space Odyssey - As much as everyone may object, I don't like Stanley Kubrick and this movie just looks kinda snoozy.
Anything by Truffaut except 400 Blows - And I really loved 400 Blows.

smell the witch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 12, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
smell the witch, you get Rashomon, and go pick some more specific films, young man! Don't be so :effort:!

I just finished Mishima and I really liked it. The cinematography was amazing and the score kept the urgency going throughout. I loved the unity of the four chapters, all of them building up to a long-planned event. I saw some interesting use of motifs: suicide, the human body, swords, mirrors. I absolutely loved this shot which looks a bit like sumi-e…

I agree with the main criticism FFD and PeacefulAnarchy had, though, which is that the film could have let the viewer further into Mishima's head. We knew what he wanted, but only a little about the thought processes that led him to his conclusions.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima

Das Boot: I've seen just enough of this to know it's a lot better than it sounds. Jürgen Prochnow is so, so awesome.
The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
My Left Foot: I only know Day-Lewis from his mustache roles.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Splendor in the Grass: I have seen zero films by America's Tattletale, Elia Kazan.
Strictly Ballroom: The last Luhrmann film I haven't seen so far. I figure I may as well knock it out before he finishes The Great Gatsby.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend, watch Splendor in the Grass. It's one of Kazan's weakest in my opinion, but still good if only for Natalie Wood's performance. It took me like 8 of his films to get over my dislike for Kazan as a person and accept that he was a great director whose films I quite enjoy.

By The Law is actually different than I expected and really great. The narrative is a lot more straightforward and compelling than I expected, and it plays out really well including the wonderfully executed ending. For a silent that relies so much on slowly boiling tension it felt surprisingly active, probably thanks to the score and visuals. The expressionistic closeups contrast with the otherwise normal wider shots and are all the more impacting because of it. Wonderful film.

Updated list:

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Peaceful Anarchy, watch Porgy and Bess. Haven't seen it, but I love the Gershwin music for the opera (or musical, I dunno).

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is awesomely stylish, and mostly really a buddy comedy instead of a crime Western. Robert Redford and Paul Newman just had the best chemistry. And the film is nice enough not to show them dying, so you can imagine them having cool adventures in Australia. :unsmith:
Still, I prefer The Sting, because it had a clear antagonist, and was a little less ramshackle. George Roy Hill isn't much of an auteur so much as an impressively competent workman, but that's okay. 8.5/10

Anyway, the new list:
1. A Clockwork Orange - Own it, but have never watched it. I don't know why.
4. Apocalypse Now - I saw half of it on vacation when I was 12, and then my parents came back to the hotel room, and changed the channel, deeming it inappropriate entertainment for children. :smith:
7. The 39 Steps - I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, but somehow this is one of my few blindspots.
8. Eraserhead - I've loved the two David Lynch films I've seen (Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man), and it seems like this is essential Lynch.
14. Wild Strawberries - I've had some trepidation about Bergman, but that all went away when this very thread got me to watch The Seventh Seal. So this seems to be the consensus of next-most accessible.
15. The Passion of Joan of Arc - Sunrise put me in the mood for silent movie acting, and reputation holds this as the pinnacle of the form.
16. City Lights - I have never seen any Chaplin. For some reason I've always thought it would be boring, though I have no evidence of this.
17. Stagecoach - I was initially skeptical of John Wayne's ability, and convinced I wouldn't like any of his movies, but after seeing The Searchers, Rio Bravo, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I realized this was dumb.
18. Black Narcissus - The Powell and Pressburger films look intriguing, and I love Deborah Kerr, so why not?
19. To Have and Have Not - Bogart and Bacall were amazing in The Big Sleep, I can only imagine how awesome this must be.
Watched: The Seventh Seal (9.5) , Unforgiven (8.5/10), Pulp Fiction(7.75/10), This is Spinal Tap(7/10), 8 1/2 (8/10), Tokyo Story (9/10), The General (8/10), Reservoir Dogs (9/10), Paths of Glory 8.5/10, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (9/10), Battleship Potemkin (*/10), Jaws (9/10), Singin' in the Rain (10/10), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (8.5/10)

* - Unrateable

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Before I give you my recommendation, I just want to say that your format is terrible. What do those numbers next to the movie titles mean?

Spatula City posted:

8. Eraserhead - I've loved the two David Lynch films I've seen (Mulholland Dr. and The Elephant Man), and it seems like this is essential Lynch.

"Enjoy" this as best you can. It is full, undiluted Lynch. Certainly a must see, and then you'll wish you hadn't. And then you'll be glad you did. And then you'll swear off Lynch forever. And then you'll become an undying fan. Or at least I did. Your mileage may vary.

Finished off Metropolis and I liked it. The story was simple, but it was nicely complicated, if that makes any sense. I'd never seen a silent film, mostly because I thought they'd all be terribly over-acted and rather silly. This film has really made me wonder what I've been missing. Wonderfully acted and engaging without spoken word. It was amazing to me just how clear everything came across, emotions, meanings, intents, everything, without needing to say a thing. I will be adding more silent films to my list!

Here's my updated list:

1. Barton Fink - I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Coen Brothers so how this got away from me, I don't know.

2. Mad Max. Here's something interesting. I didn't know this was three movies. I thought they were all one movie. So if this isn't the first one, let me know and I'll watch the first one instead.

3. The 3 Faces of Eve. If I'm not mistaken, this is about a woman with multiple personalities, yes?

4. The Seventh Seal. Have not one clue what this movie is about, who's in it, or who directs it, but it keeps popping up in everyone elses lists and the reviews people come back with are good, so I'm adding it.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Singing in the Rain. I love musicals and I hear this is the one to beat them all so I'm a bit ashamed this has always passed my by.

8. My Neighbor Totoro Don't know too much about this one. I like the director and enjoyed Spirited Away, so I'm hoping this one will be good.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. It Happened One Night. Heard it's a very good early romantic comedy? Also, I've only ever seen Mr. Gable in Gone With the Wind, so it would be nice to have more exposure to his other movies.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist; The Red Shoes; Eraserhead; Vertigo; Raging Bull; 2001: A Space Odyssey; Tombstone; Seven Samurai; 8 1/2; Dancer in the Dark; Lawrence of Arabia; Metropolis

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 13, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This film has really made me wonder what I've been missing. Wonderfully acted and engaging without spoken word. It was amazing to me just how clear everything came across, emotions, meanings, intents, everything, without needing to say a thing. I will be adding more silent films to my list!

This makes me really happy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Before I give you my recommendation, I just want to say that your format is terrible. What do those numbers next to the movie titles mean?

Oh, just the order in which they were added to the list. So, 15 would mean it was the fifth added to the list after the beginning ten. I don't see what's so terrible about my format. :smith:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Spatula City posted:

Oh, just the order in which they were added to the list. So, 15 would mean it was the fifth added to the list after the beginning ten. I don't see what's so terrible about my format. :smith:

Maybe the lack of spacing? I dunno, I don't see a problem with your format either.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe the lack of spacing? I dunno, I don't see a problem with your format either.

The problem with his format is that he has Joan of Arc, City Lights, and Stagecoach all in a row so he's clearly trying to give me some kind of super-boner that will blot out the sun.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, it's definitely spacing, and bolding. I use the same format but mine's a lot clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bodnoirbabe, It Happened One Night has a few issues but is mostly pretty enjoyable.

Porgy and Bess is one of those films that's really hard to rate because its positives, while quite good, are counterbalanced by a slew of problems. To start with the film has been unavailable for 40 years so it's only viewable on bootleg VHS copies, thankfully the copy I got was widescreen and watchable, but not without issue. The issues for this unavailability stem from disputes about the treatment of the content which led to production issues quite apparent in the final product. Dubbing singing in a musical is never a good thing, and it's really noticeable here, especially the dubbing of Poitier. The choice to shoot this on sets contrasts badly with Preminger's choice to use so many long wide shots. It, along with the costumes, makes everything seem much cleaner and sterile than the content demands. It also really hurts the intimacy of some scenes.

Then there are the many racial issues at the heart of the film that make it very interesting but also uneasy to watch. The characters all seem to exist in some halfway point between racial caricature and genuine human beings. On the one hand these types of living conditions really existed, and there's a real variety of characters, most of them sympathetic. Porgy, despite his disability, is a very strong character, Bess is conflicted but no less nuanced than any number of similar "person with a troubled past trying to go straight" characters in fiction. The film shows a strong black community with issues and ultimately is undoubtedly sympathetic to its character's issues. And yet, despite all of these things, there's no doubt a certain minstrel show aspect to the style, the critical plot points can certainly be viewed through a lens of blacks having inferior moral character, and there's an unspoken implication that this plight is somehow the fault of the black community (the only hint of a wider world are the couple of brief intrusions by the police). At the height of of the Civil war movement this segregationist depiction, whether intentional or not, certainly has unspoken connotations.

All of these things are doubly visible in the film because of the fact that some of the cast had reservations about the material, and while specifics aren't obvious it's quite clear that there's a tonal dissonance to the film while watching it. I really liked some of the songs but others were a chore and overall I had trouble getting into the film which had no real sense of flow. The only unreserved praise I have is for Sammy Davis Jr., who in his few scenes is really entertaining.

Updated list:

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

Humanity and Paper Balloons Apparently this is a very highly regarded Japanese film. Guess I should check it out.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10