Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ProFro posted:

Okay, so this is obscure as hell, but I got a question

I very distinctly remember a promo Chris Jericho did shortly after jumping to WWE, I think it was on Smackdown. Anyway, during the course of the promo he takes the time to crack a joke about disgraced former Iron Maiden singer Blaze Bayley. Is this for real or am I making this up? This promo in question would be from summer-fall '99 or so.

I just finished watching Raw & Smackdown from 1999, and I don't remember that promo. I may have skipped over it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
I've been absent from watching wrestling for about 8 or so years now, so I decided it would be a good idea to read this entire thread! :v: That being said, I have a couple of questions of my own.

1) Does anybody know why Chris Hero drastically changed his style? I know that he got in much better shape after coming to Ring of Honor, and he had the 'Young Knockout Kid' gimmick, but I remember that he used to wrestle a kind of pseudo-European style with a tons of reversals and was master of the cravat, etc (so did Alex Shelley, as a matter of fact, but he seems to have gone to a high-flying style). Is there any particular reason why he's gone to almost exclusively striking these days?

2) Can anybody give me a list of some of the best CM Punk matches since he's been in the WWE? I was vaguely aware he had left ROH to go there, but it seems he's had a (what I would consider) surprising amount of success, being an indy darling and all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sprint posted:

2) Can anybody give me a list of some of the best CM Punk matches since he's been in the WWE? I was vaguely aware he had left ROH to go there, but it seems he's had a (what I would consider) surprising amount of success, being an indy darling and all.

2006 - Punk had some fun and very one-sided matches with Stevie Richards in ECW
2007 - His feud with John Morrison had a mixture of good and frustratingly short matches
2008 - Amazingly, his title defenses against Batista were really fun to watch, but again frustratingly cut short
2009 - His feud with Jeff Hardy is perhaps his best period in WWE so far, where he was getting the push and victories to match the quality of his promos. It's also one of the few feuds in recent memory (or distant memory!) where the heel not only came out the winner, but ran the face out of the company.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sprint posted:

1) Does anybody know why Chris Hero drastically changed his style? I know that he got in much better shape after coming to Ring of Honor, and he had the 'Young Knockout Kid' gimmick, but I remember that he used to wrestle a kind of pseudo-European style with a tons of reversals and was master of the cravat, etc (so did Alex Shelley, as a matter of fact, but he seems to have gone to a high-flying style). Is there any particular reason why he's gone to almost exclusively striking these days?

Hero's entire gimmick up until about late-2007 was a parody of an indie wrestler. Unnecessary flips, indie standoffs and too many finishers. His appeal was that he was a 6-foot-5 guy doing flips. Then he realised that if he got into shape and changed his moveset, he could be much more than an 'attraction'. If he wrestled a style fit for a guy his size, he could be considered a serious wrestler and a top-guy. Hence the YKOK gimmick. He's never been in better shape and he's legit considered one of the top-ten talents in the world at the moment.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I just finished watching Raw & Smackdown from 1999, and I don't remember that promo. I may have skipped over it though.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this didn't actually happen. Not sure where I got such a crazy idea.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Hero's entire gimmick up until about late-2007 was a parody of an indie wrestler. Unnecessary flips, indie standoffs and too many finishers. His appeal was that he was a 6-foot-5 guy doing flips. Then he realised that if he got into shape and changed his moveset, he could be much more than an 'attraction'. If he wrestled a style fit for a guy his size, he could be considered a serious wrestler and a top-guy. Hence the YKOK gimmick. He's never been in better shape and he's legit considered one of the top-ten talents in the world at the moment.

Well I think also Gabe was trying everything to get the crowd to boo Hero, so he made up the TYKOK name since it's impossible to chant.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Charisma posted:

Well I think also Gabe was trying everything to get the crowd to boo Hero, so he made up the TYKOK name since it's impossible to chant.

Knowing what we know now about ROH fans, just pushing him or giving him a belt would have been enough to turn the crowd against him.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well the thing is, I think Hero was the favorite of the types who cry about MY FREEDOM TO BOO WHOEVER I WANT!!!!!!!!!

And also I think it's really overstated how often they turned on someone. Gabe turned Nigel after two mouthbreathers got all spergy about Nigel not wrestling very hurt. Tyler Black was a case of Gabe strapping a rocket to his rear end and Pearce taking too long to get to the conclusion after slowing the push down. After that...not really any examples of the crowd turning on a champion.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Captain Charisma posted:

THAT YOUNG KNOCK-OUT KID
*clap clap clap clap clap*

Really? That's impossible to chant?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lone Rogue posted:

THAT YOUNG KNOCK-OUT KID
*clap clap clap clap clap*

Really? That's impossible to chant?

Pretty much. It's really hard to get a rhythm with it.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

YOU'RE GONNA GET YOUR THAT YOUNG KNOCK OUT KID!
*clapclap clapclap clapclapclap clapclap*

Seems easy enough and makes perfect sense.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The problem with Hero's indie stereotype gimmick was that he was too entertaining for his own good. It was like watching late-90's Jericho. He was a heel and he was a jerk but he was so entertaining and charismatic and funny about it you couldn't help but want to laugh and cheer for him.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes, he was a poor heel

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sugar Blaster posted:

The problem with Hero's indie stereotype gimmick was that he was too entertaining for his own good. It was like watching late-90's Jericho. He was a heel and he was a jerk but he was so entertaining and charismatic and funny about it you couldn't help but want to laugh and cheer for him.

When I caught on he was dressing worse than Mike Quackenbush I laughed but that was about the extent of my enjoyment until post-ROH vs. CZW feud.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anything over four syllables is awkward for a 'clap, clap, clapclapclap' style chant.

Two syllables is the 'Ho-MER, Ho-MER' style or the 'Let's go Homer (claps)' style.
Three syllables is the 'Kev-in-NASH! Kev-in-NASH!' style

There's really nothing for five.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

When I caught on he was dressing worse than Mike Quackenbush I laughed but that was about the extent of my enjoyment until post-ROH vs. CZW feud.

He was pretty good as a heel in the ROH/CZW feud because he was a total chickenshit with lovely ring gear who couldn't hold his own with ROH guys unless he had back-up. Not a top guy character, obviously, but it was leagues above his usual shtick.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Knock him out! Knock him out!"

It's not perfect, but it's the chant I'd go for.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

flashy_mcflash posted:

Anything over four syllables is awkward for a 'clap, clap, clapclapclap' style chant.

Two syllables is the 'Ho-MER, Ho-MER' style or the 'Let's go Homer (claps)' style.

Unless you say the five syllables with the same cadence as the claps. That would probably catch on.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I've seen old ECW footage where they chanted E-C-DOUBLEYOU, E-C-DOUBLEYOU

obviously this is awkward as gently caress and that's why it became ECDUB but the rhythm itself works

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, but by the time it makes it all the way around the arena it's all mangled. Less of a problem in the ECW Asylum, slightly bigger problem at the Silverdome.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

flashy_mcflash posted:

counterpoint: "YOU'RE GONNA GET YOUR FUCKIN' HEAD KICKED IN*

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah, but by the time it makes it all the way around the arena it's all mangled. Less of a problem in the ECW Asylum, slightly bigger problem at the Silverdome.

You've got bigger problems than chants if you're putting on a wrestling show in the Silverdome in 2011.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've heard about the Warrior releasing several videos blasting Hogan about this and that? Does anyone know what brought this all on, what the videos have to deal with or Hogan's response?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sugar Blaster posted:

That works because it's inherently goofy. I cannot imagine a situation where chanting THAT YOUNG KNOCKOUT KID would work. A big part of the reason it can't be chanted is because it's such a lovely name. Of course some cocky idiot like Chris Hero would think it's the greatest thing ever. It's lovely.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

I've heard about the Warrior releasing several videos blasting Hogan about this and that? Does anyone know what brought this all on, what the videos have to deal with or Hogan's response?

Hogan was talking crap on some video interview somewhere about Randy Savage after he died, so Warrior's going to trash Hogan for an hour on YouTube or something.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Spikeguy posted:

Warrior is karma incarnate, and as it's emissary has come to collect Hogan's debt.

Simple.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

Hogan was talking crap on some video interview somewhere about Randy Savage after he died, so Warrior's going to trash Hogan for an hour on YouTube or something.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/08/ultimate-warrior-hulk-hogan-cocaine-drug-use-wife-sex-video-rant-feud-rivaly-wwe-wrestling-er-wife-swapper/

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

TMZ has an article on it: Hogan threatens a lawsuit

quote:

The Warrior went crazy on a 7-minute video tirade, saying, among other things, that Hulk is a cocaine user who had an open marriage and encouraged ex-wife Linda Hogan to have sex with other wrestlers.

Hilarious

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

flashy_mcflash posted:

"KNOCK KNOCK"
"WHO'S THERE"
"BRA-DEN
WAL-KER"
Rinse, repeat.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sugar Blaster posted:

"JOE IS GONNA KILL YOU"

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

"JOE IS GONNA KILL YOU"

Which was previously,

"TAZ IS GONNA KILL YOU"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Hirams Bitch posted:

Which was previously,

"TAZ IS GONNA KILL YOU"

Which was previously

"INVADER #1 IS GONNA KILL YOU"

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

ZoDiAC_ posted:

TMZ has an article on it: Hogan threatens a lawsuit

Hilarious

I love when people go on a rant and put something like "had an open marriage" in between genuine reasons to dislike a guy. What harm did that do to anyone?

(yes, I am aware that the Warrior is religious enough to believe that its a sin to have sex outside your marriage)

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Am I the only person dreading that this video is going to be a massive Russo-inspired SWERVE! and Warrior's return to TV is going to be with TNA?

Dreading, because it would mean that Randy Savage's death was used to further a wrestling angle between two idiotic men who should've long ago been put out to pasture.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perdido posted:

Am I the only person dreading that this video is going to be a massive Russo-inspired SWERVE! and Warrior's return to TV is going to be with TNA?

Dreading, because it would mean that Randy Savage's death was used to further a wrestling angle between two idiotic men who should've long ago been put out to pasture.

I hadn't thought of that possibility. gently caress. That's probably what it is.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Deadpool posted:

I hadn't thought of that possibility. gently caress. That's probably what it is.

If Hogan files a legitimate lawsuit while in WCW for being called a politician and a "big bald son of a bitch," then I'm sure he's not happy with being called a cokehead, cuckold, liar, cheat, backstabber, and so on.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

George Kaplan posted:

I love when people go on a rant and put something like "had an open marriage" in between genuine reasons to dislike a guy. What harm did that do to anyone?

(yes, I am aware that the Warrior is religious enough to believe that its a sin to have sex outside your marriage)
Approaching it from a non-religious perspective: Encouraging her to have sex with other wrestlers couldn't POSSIBLY have helped them maintain a stable marriage as opposed to *ahem* ALIMONEY... (That's not a typo.)

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

If Hogan files a legitimate lawsuit while in WCW for being called a politician and a "big bald son of a bitch," then I'm sure he's not happy with being called a cokehead, cuckold, liar, cheat, backstabber, and so on.

Good point.

Maybe Warrior's the Mystery GM? :haw:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perdido posted:

Good point.

Maybe Warrior's the Mystery GM? :haw:

Triple H: Do I get my win back?
Warrior: No.
*both phones hang up at the same time*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Triple H: Do I get my win back?
Warrior: No.
*both phones hang up at the same time*

I want them to edit future releases of that Wrestlemania to where the match ends right after the pedigree, and it just goes directly to the next match.