Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

Oh god, what's wrong with me? I just won this.

I had that as a kid. Granted, it was a hand me down from my brothers and had some pieces missing or broken, but I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Nada Mucho posted:

Pick-a-brick is fun.. But I have to offer this critique:

You left a ton of air space in there, the bricks aren't even locked together and for goodness sake you haven't even crammed the cap full of 1x1 pieces.

If you're not 'sperging for an hour cramming pieces into the cup and doing graduate level geometry to make the most fit, you're just not being the lego nerd you could be.

Ha, I knew someone would say that. I managed maybe 200 pieces, but I read on some Lego forums about guys who crammed 500+ in a big cup. It feels counter-intuitive that locking pieces together, big pieces anyway, lets you get more in there but I guess it works.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I hit up the local LEGO shop last weekend:

"Crap, he's going to forget to feed me again."

I spent enough that I got to make 3 minifigs, gratis. After battling children for parts - the little fuckers are fast - I ended up with industrial worker dudes. One has a pimp cup, for, you know, work.

Here's my PAB cup, I 'sperged over it for probably 20 minutes.

I didn't count the pieces - I'm not that spergy - but here's the haul. I then improvised with just these pieces...

A cleanup crew takes their 8-wheel rover in to start work on the hazardous plastic spill site, accompanied by their trusty robot. Dumb but totally fun. Why is the box on fire? It's a fire box, duh.

Then the decks were cleared for serious business.

LEGO has taken over the table in the pix, I am sliding slowly into injection-molded insanity, my wife cannot roll her eyes hard enough, and I am having so much fun. Thanks goons.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I don't have a goon-worthy amount of LEGO sets, but that space shuttle is definitely my favorite. I have it on a shelf in my office at work, and it is pretty impressive looking. Also it outs me as a huge nerd.

gently caress pre-molded parts like in the newest shuttle!

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Pzykotic posted:

I don't have a goon-worthy amount of LEGO sets, but that space shuttle is definitely my favorite. I have it on a shelf in my office at work, and it is pretty impressive looking. Also it outs me as a huge nerd.

gently caress pre-molded parts like in the newest shuttle!
Those pre-molded parts lower the cost!
:( some of us can't afford Shuttle Adventure and had to settle for the cheap one.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I can understand and appreciate that, it just feels like cheating. And it doesn't end up looking like a real-life 8-bit representation of a Space Shuttle with goddamn detachable booster rockets and fuel tank! AND ALSO A SATELLITE.

Ok I am going to go play with it right now.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
B... But the 30 dollar one has a satellite, too...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

drat Schindler's, I'm jealous of all those flames and switches.

Got my girlfriend a little "Best-Lock" brand pink jeep at a dollar store on a whim today, for her little Mega Bloks Hello Kitty to drive. It's absolute cheap flimsy trash, but she had fun building it. Little by little I'm sucking her in.

(Might go back and get myself a set or two since they have little tactical vests for the minifigs)

Also felt up the last few S3 figs at my local Walmart, coz I still don't have an elf and drat paying the secondary markup. Got an extra gorilla and Blocktron cyborg :hellyeah:

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Saint Sputnik posted:

(Might go back and get myself a set or two since they have little tactical vests for the minifigs)
Those are probably the most usable parts in Best-Lock sets, since there's no real Lego equivalent and they fit proper minifigs.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dame Cook posted:

Those are probably the most usable parts in Best-Lock sets, since there's no real Lego equivalent and they fit proper minifigs.

Lego made tactical vests for Power Miners, but yeah they're not quite the same and I don't have any anyway.
e: And the realistic (albeit too large) guns. I saw a set today with an MP5, and I've got an M16 and M60 from some set I got a while ago.

Last pseudo Lego thing I got from that store, Dollar General, was an iron Man set for $10. And I still felt ripped off.
---
I'm up to 13 character classes now by the way, from rogue to gunslinger to monk, all with bonuses, limitations, and game and combat abilities. My primary opponent and playtester (girlfriend) is gonna loathe the complexity.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 8, 2011

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Revol posted:

Holy poo poo I have to rip off that Star Wars hospital ship. Anyone know where they've seen one made before?

This should help more (one item over in the larger gallery :v:)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85974

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Schindler's Fist posted:

I hit up the local LEGO shop last weekend:

"Crap, he's going to forget to feed me again."

I spent enough that I got to make 3 minifigs, gratis. After battling children for parts - the little fuckers are fast - I ended up with industrial worker dudes. One has a pimp cup, for, you know, work.

Here's my PAB cup, I 'sperged over it for probably 20 minutes.

LEGO has taken over the table in the pix, I am sliding slowly into injection-molded insanity, my wife cannot roll her eyes hard enough, and I am having so much fun. Thanks goons.

My god you make me wish we had Lego stores in Australia so that I can get a cup of random pieces.

I also want that Shuttle bad enough as it is, you make me want it more :(

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*
Yes when the hell are we going to get Lego stores in this god-forsaken backwards country?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not as long as Myers is paying a fortune for their Lego corner.

Speaking of Australia though, in Melbourne these last few weeks there've been a huge wave of new sets. Cars 2 and POTC, from earlier in the month, now I'm seeing the new Creator Lighthouse and sports car, as well as several huge new Star Wars sets, including the Millenium Falcon for $240, Rebel Cruisers and other stuff. Also saw a small Pharoah's Quest mini set in Big W, but that got quickly snapped up and none of the other PQ sets turned up. :iiam:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 8, 2011

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
So I broke down and got the Pet Shop to go with the Grand Emporium. Pretty fun build, plus fun to populate with minifigs as well. Some year I might even get road plates for the buildings.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Not as long as Myers is paying a fortune for their Lego corner.

Speaking of Australia though, in Melbourne these last few weeks there've been a huge wave of new sets. Cars 2 and POTC, from earlier in the month, now I'm seeing the new Creator Lighthouse and sports car, as well as several huge new Star Wars sets, including the Millenium Falcon for $240, Rebel Cruisers and other stuff. Also saw a small Pharoah's Quest mini set in Big W, but that got quickly snapped up and none of the other PQ sets turned up. :iiam:

Maybe it has something to do with http://www.artofthebrick.com.au/ ?

Apparently it will have the 'largest lego store in Australia' while it is operating over June and July. I'm yet to visit it though. I've bought tickets, but for next month. The store is supposed to be open to the public.

Edit - More info:
http://www.melhotornot.com/hot-art-brick-federation-square-melbourne/
http://www.artofthebrick.com.au/lego-store.php

(own hosting)

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 8, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh. Might pop over during my lunch break tomorrow and see what's up.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Jordanis posted:

Oh my lord, he has instructions for a Venator-class Star Destroyer. Bookmarked for when I'm on vacation!

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SynthOrange posted:

Huh. Might pop over during my lunch break tomorrow and see what's up.

Let us know if there is a pick a brick wall. It might be worth driving from Sydney for.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I've had 6 lego related deliveries this week. Todays was the last two minifigs I needed which came from Germany. I can't believe how quickly items are rocking up to my door from the US, UK and Europe.

Just finished putting together an old technic bike I owned as a kid but I'd lost the majority of the parts. Worked out cheaper to buy it again complete/used rather than the pieces I was missing individually.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52952793@N00/3517691258/

Next I think I will break out the Star Wars Brickmaster book I got and have a fiddle. I think my funds for Lego have to stop for the moment so I won't be going out and buying Pod Racers or Falcon's anytime soon :(

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

Guzwar posted:

Oh my lord, he has instructions for a Venator-class Star Destroyer. Bookmarked for when I'm on vacation!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37663&hl=venator&st=0
For if you want something a little bigger. well worth the effort to acquire all the pieces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Baggy_Brad posted:

Let us know if there is a pick a brick wall. It might be worth driving from Sydney for.

Ugh no, it's just selling all the stuff you would find at Target or Myers. :australia:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Serious? I was for hoping for something at least a little better. Were there any of the large creator sets?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, in fact the selection might have been a tiny bit worse than target for Creator, haw haw!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Holy poo poo. (Is this old?)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5048742

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Pzykotic posted:

Holy poo poo. (Is this old?)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5048742

What the heck is going on with the grill? Are those pieces just sort of crammed in there?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Howard The Dork posted:

What the heck is going on with the grill? Are those pieces just sort of crammed in there?

There's probably something behind that they're all pushed against, but yeah, they're just held in place by friction. It looks like he special ordered some chrome parts from that one Bricklink seller too, and they really compliment the overall model.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

The wipers are facing the wrong direction, but it's still better than anything I could do.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I decided to sort my minifigs some and realised I had a lot more red heads than I thought.

So I made this:

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

Baggy_Brad posted:

I decided to sort my minifigs some and realised I had a lot more red heads than I thought.

So I made this:

Is that a limited edition Carrot Top mini fig on the far left?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jordanis posted:

loving awesome. I need some Lego poo poo to populate my cubicle at my new tech support phone desk job.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I have this crazy urge to buy the Earth Defense HQ set. I think it'd be the most expensive Lego set I've purchased for myself. I dunno, though. It just looks cool. I wish that Vic Viper was sold separately, though...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I got this far with the frigate when I had to stop because I didn't have the pieces. I think I don't have the brackets that I need to add next. Besides that, I've been having to subsitute too many colors. Made two orders on Bricklink to finish.

I'm also working on this idea I just got:

Two things:

• Can you think of a better way to do the glass? Because I can't. Even if I had these bricks in trans-clear (I don't), the seperation between the bricks would still cause this to look... wonky. But I can't think of any other glass that is big enough to cover this. The only thing I can think of is to not have glass there at all. But I want to have this vignette to include fans, and fans are always behind glass. The only part of the boards without glass are player benches, and I don't have any other Blacktron shirts. (I'm using Blacktron as the jersey since it looks the most like a hockey jersey. I've got other fans in the stand wearing M:Tron and Extreme Team 'hockey jerseys'.)

• Do you think the ice color should be a light blue? Because I am thinking it should. But I don't have any light blue tiles.

The reason I'm not using the hockey player minifig is twofold. One, I don't like his pads and the facemask, which looks like it belongs on a football player. Two, I don't own one, I bought the skates and stick off Bricklink. The helmet is a space helmet which I cut.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=3661 has pretty huge thin windows, I've definitely seen others which are just thin panels.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

quote:

I'm also working on this idea I just got:

Two things:

• Can you think of a better way to do the glass? Because I can't. Even if I had these bricks in trans-clear (I don't), the seperation between the bricks would still cause this to look... wonky. But I can't think of any other glass that is big enough to cover this. The only thing I can think of is to not have glass there at all. But I want to have this vignette to include fans, and fans are always behind glass. The only part of the boards without glass are player benches, and I don't have any other Blacktron shirts. (I'm using Blacktron as the jersey since it looks the most like a hockey jersey. I've got other fans in the stand wearing M:Tron and Extreme Team 'hockey jerseys'.)

• Do you think the ice color should be a light blue? Because I am thinking it should. But I don't have any light blue tiles.

The reason I'm not using the hockey player minifig is twofold. One, I don't like his pads and the facemask, which looks like it belongs on a football player. Two, I don't own one, I bought the skates and stick off Bricklink. The helmet is a space helmet which I cut.
Other than the fact that you cut pieces to make this, I love it just the way it is.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Revol posted:

Two things:

[list][*]Can you think of a better way to do the glass? Because I can't. Even if I had these bricks in trans-clear (I don't), the seperation between the bricks would still cause this to look... wonky. But I can't think of any other glass that is big enough to cover this. The only thing I can think of is to not have glass there at all.

One of these, in trans-clear or trans-light blue, perhaps.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The more I look at it, the more I think I really do need to use light blue tiles for ice. For one, it'll help the white boards stand out.

SynthOrange posted:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=3661 has pretty huge thin windows, I've definitely seen others which are just thin panels.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I actually have a lot of these windows, back when I was trying to build myself a Pokemon Center. They're six brick tall, which is a nice height for hockey board glass. I dunno, the frames sure are thick though.

Of course, if I go with this, I'd extend the vignette to 8 stud wide.

I'm kinda tempted to get this, and then cut it before the curve. Yeah, more cheating. I don't care about the helmet, because it's small, and there is a piece that looks like that. But this would be taking it too far... even thought it would look PERFECT.

Flavor Bear posted:

One of these, in trans-clear or trans-light blue, perhaps.

This looks promising too.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Revol posted:

The more I look at it, the more I think I really do need to use light blue tiles for ice. For one, it'll help the white boards stand out.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I actually have a lot of these windows, back when I was trying to build myself a Pokemon Center. They're six brick tall, which is a nice height for hockey board glass. I dunno, the frames sure are thick though.

Of course, if I go with this, I'd extend the vignette to 8 stud wide.

I'm kinda tempted to get this, and then cut it before the curve. Yeah, more cheating. I don't care about the helmet, because it's small, and there is a piece that looks like that. But this would be taking it too far... even thought it would look PERFECT.

This looks promising too.

The window glass, without the frame, will clip into a lever base. Doubled up, they will fit into a 1x1 tile with clip.

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The window glass, without the frame, will clip into a lever base. Doubled up, they will fit into a 1x1 tile with clip.

If they fit into the lever base, won't they also fit into 1x2 tile with grill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Well well, look who's the clever little boy/girl! But having either of those simply doesn't look good. For one, you're going to have open space under the glass, and that is unacceptable. Maybe if there's a way to keep those pieces hidden under something.. but at that point, the boards start getting awfully thick.

Virar posted:

If they fit into the lever base, won't they also fit into 1x2 tile with grill?

It fits inside, but it doesn't lock in at all. The best I could do there is have the glass leaning up against the minifig fans.

Edit: Okay, I'm a genius.

I put two very small pieces of scotch tape on the bottom of the glass to give it the thickness needed to lock into the grill.

I am gonna have to get the medium blue tiles for the ice, though. This just doesn't pop enough for me, and I think it's because the ice and the boards are the same color. Now I have to choose a color. Medium Blue is more cheap and plentiful, but it is still a strong color. Light Aqua is perfect, but I can only get 2x1 tiles (and no jumper tile to hold the puck in place), and they cost 44 cents each.

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 12, 2011