Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008

subx posted:

Say basically what you just said really. If you are actually interested and think you have the skills for the job, that's what you say (obviously elaborate a bit).

And yes you should, showing interest and sending a followup is never a bad thing to do.

Thanks, I did that. If I come off as a jerk to the dude, well, every interview is experience..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ancient lobster posted:

Thanks, I did that. If I come off as a jerk to the dude, well, every interview is experience..

If you do that and the guy still thinks you're a jerk you probably don't want to work for him anyway.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So yay I'm getting my first phone interview! How should I prepare besides reading a bit about the company?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Whatever you do don't wear a suit :haw:

Be prepared to talk about the experience that you have, either in previous jobs / internships / whatever or from projects on your own time. Don't be caught "um"ing if you're asked what interests you about development or about development at that company.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Wear a suit, usually an interviewer can tell if you're not dressed properly by the tone of your voice.

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
Some background, I've been a business analyst for a number of years, doing small time Access/VB development, and I'm looking to make the jump to full time software development. I've been teaching myself C# over the last 6-9 months, working on WP7 games, and looking for a job doing any kind of C# development, as a junior role.

Applied for a position, and sent in some code samples, which impressed the hiring manager much more than my resume. After the phone interview, the hiring manager mentioned that she would like for me to take a general C# aptitude test, as she had a bad experience with a previous candidate who looked good on paper but couldn't keep up with the rest of the team.

So, now I'm a bit nervous. I'm all self taught, just learning new things in the framework as I run across them. I was looking through the MCTS test for .Net/C#, and it mentions a lot of stuff around assembly management, COM interop, etc. Stuff I haven't used, and really have zero exposure to, and doubt I would ever use.

Should I read up on that stuff, or focus on some of the more basic framework stuff like the different collections, delegates, etc.

It sounds like a great position, but I don't want to screw it up because of lack of formal education.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Orzo posted:

Wear a suit, usually an interviewer can tell if you're not dressed properly by the tone of your voice.

Confidence also comes through in the tone of your voice. If the interviewer sounds hot DO NOT take off your clothes unless you are 100% confident in yourself.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Mike1o1 posted:

Should I read up on that stuff, or focus on some of the more basic framework stuff like the different collections, delegates, etc.

It sounds like a great position, but I don't want to screw it up because of lack of formal education.
If they know what they're doing, it should be on that stuff. It sounds like you know the language but you're not 100% on all areas of the .NET framework. Knowing how to actually code is 100 times more important IMO, but you might want to make some little apps to learn how to:

* perform basic stream I/O (FileStream, TextWriter, etc)
* do something with XML, say load a document and find a node with XPath (it should only take a few minutes)
* know your collections, although it sounds like you already do. You really need to understand List<T>, IEnumerable<T>, and you should probably know how Dictionary<K, V> works. Try using some of the IEnumerable<T> LINQ extension methods, they are very intuitive and very useful, and know how to use lambdas.

I'm sure others can add some stuff, but you are probably already ahead of the curve.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Good stuff to know in general:
-Abstract classes, interfaces, how the two are different
- protection levels (public, private, protected, internal),
- design patterns (know at least 2 or 3 and be able to explain what they are and when they're applicable)
- generics (try to come up with some use cases that don't involve collections for extra cool dude points)

Anyone who comes in to interview with me is miles ahead of the other candidates if they talk about unit testing and inversion of control. I'm still expecting strong fundamentals, but knowing how to unit test properly and build loosely-coupled applications is excellent.

Oh, and don't bullshit. If you outright don't know an answer, say "I don't know." If you think you might know, still answer, but let them know that you're taking a stab. If you're stabbing in the right neighborhood, that's at least a good sign. If you try to bullshit on everything you don't know, the interviews will know, and they will not hire you. Software development is a massive field and everyone has gaps in their knowledge. The important thing is to know where you're weak and improve on those areas.

Speaking of improving... time to get back to learning MVC. This is a real nightmare for me because my HTML skills haven't been exercised to any degree since Netscape 4-era.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 9, 2011

Mike1o1
Sep 5, 2004
Tiluvas
Well, took the test already, it was a lot different from what I thought it was. Turns out it was a 20 question on-line timed quiz. Each question only gave 3 minutes to answer, and copy/paste was disabled, so couldn't exactly copy/paste into VS, or do too much googling.

Mostly they gave a lot of sample code snippets on exactly what you two mentioned: abstract vs interface, protected, private, internal and the differences. Most of the time it was a 15-20 line sample of inherited classes or interfaces, and I had to select what the run-time or compile-time error would be. Some stuff I really didn't know, mostly around exception handling as I haven't dealt much with that stuff. Some stuff was a stack with a lot of push and pops, and had to step through and mark what the output would be.

Fortunately I passed with a 3.46 grade out of 5, which marked me as upper level proficient. I'm hoping this will be enough to move me onto the next step for a face-to-face interview, especially as this is for a junior position.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HondaCivet posted:

So yay I'm getting my first phone interview! How should I prepare besides reading a bit about the company?

Dress comfortably, sit at your desk (ie. Don't lay on your bed or lounge in a lay-z-boy or something; it's a state of mind thing), turn off your computer monitor and speakers, tv, radio, etc. Use a land line rather than a cell phone if that's an option for you, if it's not at least make sure your phone is charged and you have a good signal where you're sitting. Nothing says professionalism like a dropped call.

Also, it might help to outline any specific talking points you want to mention, separate from your resume. It helps organize your thoughts, it makes it seem like you aren't just reciting from your resume that they probably already have in front of them, and generally prevents brain farts. Also there's the situation that I ran into the first time I had a phone "interview." They used the word interview, implying a question/answer session or at least some kind of conversation. What I got was, "Okay, you have 10 minutes to tell us about yourself and why you think you would be good for this job. Go." I spent about 8 minutes talking into completely dead air, and the only reason I didn't make an utter fool out of myself was that I had taken the time to jot down an outline of my talking points earlier that day. You think public speaking is nerve-wracking, try doing it without being able to gauge the audience's reaction. Holy poo poo.

Good luck.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

- design patterns (know at least 2 or 3 and be able to explain what they are and when they're applicable)

And don't be surprised if you hear "except singleton" for the design patterns question

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

No Safe Word posted:

And don't be surprised if you hear "except singleton" for the design patterns question

Is that because they're so simple or because they're pointless? I had never used singletons before my current job, and I keep coming across them littered around various parts of our codebase. I get the point of a singleton is to restrict to a single instance of the class, but I just don't see how they're particularly useful. I especially don't see how our code benefits from them.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mobius posted:

Is that because they're so simple or because they're pointless? I had never used singletons before my current job, and I keep coming across them littered around various parts of our codebase. I get the point of a singleton is to restrict to a single instance of the class, but I just don't see how they're particularly useful. I especially don't see how our code benefits from them.

The former. Everyone knows what a singleton is.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mobius posted:

I get the point of a singleton is to restrict to a single instance of the class, but I just don't see how they're particularly useful.

It's a global variable. It's useful for whatever globals are useful for.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

If they restrict Singleton, use Doubleton.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
If you can, give condescending nicknames to whatever patterns are mentioned, eg. if they ask you about Strategy say "oh you mean passing a function pointer?" or if they ask about Visitor say "did you mean: map()?"

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Otto Skorzeny posted:

If you can, give condescending nicknames to whatever patterns are mentioned, eg. if they ask you about Strategy say "oh you mean passing a function pointer?" or if they ask about Visitor say "did you mean: map()?"
Strategy doesn't mean passing a function pointer, that's just one way to implement it, so no, don't do this :)

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
I must be the worst at in person interviews. I just got another call saying that the company I just interviewed for is going with the other candidate. This is becoming a reoccurring theme for me it seems. I get to the in person interview either locally or flown out. Do the normal chat about their company and about some of the stuff I worked on in school. Take their tests which I normally finish quickly as they a simple enough. Possibly meet the rest of the team and tour around the building. I think the interview will have gone well. Wait a few days then I get a call saying they do not want to move forward with me.

It is starting to get depressing at how rote this is all become. Submit, talk, visit, denied. Most of my friends found jobs before they graduated and received 30K a year more than what people are even willing to offer me. (I tried once answering the question of what I would like to make with the same amount my friends make. I heard them laughing outside of the room.)

Does anyone have any advice?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hibame posted:

I must be the worst at in person interviews. I just got another call saying that the company I just interviewed for is going with the other candidate. This is becoming a reoccurring theme for me it seems. I get to the in person interview either locally or flown out. Do the normal chat about their company and about some of the stuff I worked on in school. Take their tests which I normally finish quickly as they a simple enough. Possibly meet the rest of the team and tour around the building. I think the interview will have gone well. Wait a few days then I get a call saying they do not want to move forward with me.

It is starting to get depressing at how rote this is all become. Submit, talk, visit, denied. Most of my friends found jobs before they graduated and received 30K a year more than what people are even willing to offer me. (I tried once answering the question of what I would like to make with the same amount my friends make. I heard them laughing outside of the room.)

Maybe try some professional interview coaching? I think this would be a tough problem to diagnose over an internet forum.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hibame posted:

If you can stomach some vague answers and flat out BS, ask them what they thought your deficiencies were. It might not all be useful, but you can try.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hibame posted:

I don't mean to be a dick, but are you actually as good as you think you are? If you're a .NET dev, I'd be more than happy to give you our phone screening (via phone/skype, even!) and let you know how you do.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I guess this is more of a general question but is it generally a waste of time to put your resume in with companies that don't currently have any positions open that you fit into?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

I guess this is more of a general question but is it generally a waste of time to put your resume in with companies that don't currently have any positions open that you fit into?

If you want to work there, go for it. The worst that will happen is they throw your resume in the trash and you never hear back from them. The best that will happen is they love your resume and either have an position that hasn't been posted yet or keep it for when they have an opening down the road and call you up.

Even if they don't call back, when you apply again when something does open someone may see that you've spent the time to apply twice and give you extra credit for showing that you really want to work there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am a recent college graduate (2010) with a B.S. in Economics. For the past year, I have been stuck in a lovely dead end job, and I have realized Economics is as terrible of a background as philosophy or English when it comes to getting a job.

I have decided to learn Java. I currently have no tangible, marketable skill besides MS Office proficiency which is commonplace these days. In high school I took AP Computer Science and had some exposure to Visual C++, and I found it to be very interesting and fun.

My questions are:

1. What is the best way to go about learning Java, on my own? I have a book from a friend, Sam's Teach Yourself Java 2, from 1999. Is this too outdated, or would it be a good place to start?

2. Would I be able to get some sort of decent paying ($40,000+) with a no experience or formal education in Java development, just with 4-6 months of self-study of the language?

3. Are there any Java certifications out there worth getting that would make my self-study look more legit?

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 11, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

1. What is the best way to go about learning Java, on my own? I have a book from a friend, Sam's Teach Yourself Java 2, from 1999. Is this too outdated, or would it be a good place to start?

You have a lot more to learn than just the Java syntax if you are hoping to get a decent job. I would start off with a book that teaches data structures in Java, maybe this. Leaning Java should be a side-effect of learning the other tools you're going to need to be able to write good software.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

Pron on VHS posted:

2. Would I be able to get some sort of decent paying ($40,000+) with a no experience or formal education in Java development, just with 4-6 months of self-study of the language?

I can't answer your other two but I can say yes to this one since that's what I did but with .NET, though I took a few community college courses for a semester while I was turning around after finishing a degree in an unrelated field.

Cryolite fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 11, 2011

Standish
May 21, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

I have a book from a friend, Sam's Teach Yourself Java 2, from 1999. Is this too outdated, or would it be a good place to start?
That's prehistoric in Java terms.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cryolite posted:

though I took a few community college courses for a semester while I was turning around after finishing a degree in an unrelated field.

Depending on the quality of community colleges in your area, that might be a good option. If you're committed and smart, the bang/buck of CC classes could be very worth it.

But yeah, 1999 is probably Java 1.2, which is definitely out of date. Generics have made Java a different (and I would say much better) beast.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I went ahead and purchased the new edition of that book a few minutes ago, for Java 6.

oRenj9 posted:

You have a lot more to learn than just the Java syntax if you are hoping to get a decent job. I would start off with a book that teaches data structures in Java, maybe this. Leaning Java should be a side-effect of learning the other tools you're going to need to be able to write good software.

Would the first edition of Data Structures and Algorithms for Java be sufficient, or is that also out of date? I already have a copy of the first edition somehow, which is why I ask.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Pron on VHS posted:

I went ahead and purchased the new edition of that book a few minutes ago, for Java 6.

Would the first edition of Data Structures and Algorithms for Java be sufficient, or is that also out of date? I already have a copy of the first edition somehow, which is why I ask.

It's probably good enough for teaching you some fundamentals. Although this seems to suggests that the first edition didn't cover recursion or linked lists which is just :psyduck:

At any rate, you'll want to eventually look/think of how you would implement certain data structures using generics. And have a look at the C# world - Java hasn't had any major gamechanging features added since 2004. Java isn't getting lambda functions until next year. C# has had them for 4 years now. It's likely any jobs you go for will be for inexperienced programmers - it helps if you can also stick yourself forward for .NET jobs as well as Java ones.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Pron on VHS posted:

I've been slowly clearing books off my shelf and I guess there's no reason to hold onto my Java 2 books if they're already up to 6.

I know this is a programming job thread but could anyone give any tips on interviews for a CIO? Out of the blue, some company is apparently really interested in me based off of some resume I handed out about 3 years ago.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Is getting a Professional Java Programmer certificate from Oracle worth it? I already work as a 'programmer' but I'm looking for something that makes my resume look more legit. I basically just write perl scripts right now, and I'd like to do something a little more substantial. Would this cert look good to a recruiter (not necessarily just for java) or is it just a big waste of time??

Its this btw:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=320&p_org_id=28&lang=US

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Pram posted:

Is getting a Professional Java Programmer certificate from Oracle worth it? I already work as a 'programmer' but I'm looking for something that makes my resume look more legit. I basically just write perl scripts right now, and I'd like to do something a little more substantial. Would this cert look good to a recruiter (not necessarily just for java) or is it just a big waste of time??

Its this btw:

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=320&p_org_id=28&lang=US

It doesn't look very impressive. That's equivalent to something I'd expect a university student to be able to do after 2 or 3 weeks - it's mostly on syntax and very basic OO concepts.

I've never met anyone who has ever boasted or mentioned being a certified .NET or Java developer. Maybe for networks and stuff it's useful, but programming certification isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'm a certified Tester to ISTQB-BCS Foundation Level, which basically meant I sat through 3 days about very formal, high-level waterfall testing strategies for multi-million defence projects. And stuff like "You should test boundary conditions". I worked on highly RAD, loosely specced systems with relatively small budgets and timescales. There was nothing useful for me there.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yes I realize programming certs are useless but I was mostly curious if it has any value as resume fodder. Probably not though I'm guessing.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Pram posted:

Yes I realize programming certs are useless but I was mostly curious if it has any value as resume fodder. Probably not though I'm guessing.

It depends on the level of cert. Microsoft's certs are pretty good, especially as you get higher up. Basically, a guy who's an MCPD is probably pretty good, or at the very least, not a total moron.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Pram posted:

Some software engineers from Google visited my school for a recruiting session, and straight up said that putting certs on your resume would pretty much disqualify you automatically from the running.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
That's pretty funny, also answers my question. :frogbon:

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

Some software engineers from Google visited my school for a recruiting session, and straight up said that putting certs on your resume would pretty much disqualify you automatically from the running.
That's pretty obnoxious and highly impractical, I know some good developers with certifications on their resume. Some companies really like them, some don't give a gently caress--but nobody should be penalized for having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

ignore, wrong thread :)