Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think it goes without saying that theater work is some of the worst poo poo imaginable. No one respects you, most of your coworkers are brainless idiots, the supervisors love loving with you, and the management usually doesn't care because they're too busy bringing in their kids to try and look like actually decent people.

And unless you're popular with said abusive supervisors, you will not get promoted. Ever. Your only way out is if they somehow haven't completely converted to digital film yet and have an opening in projection, because that work is incredibly easy. Otherwise, get the gently caress out of there the first chance you get.

Yeah, that's exactly what it's like. No room for promotion, and even if there is, being assistant manager/manager at a theater seems to do something to them. I saw a pretty nice, laid back guy in his twenties turn into an anal-retentive spaz two minutes away from a heart attack in less than a year.

The thing about working in a movie theater is that people seem much more likely to treat the theater as an extension of their home than they do any other sort of retail environment. Drop something on the floor? Meh, whatever. Empty soda bottles? Just leave them on the floor. Chewing tobacco spit filled water bottle? Ah, the ushers can get it. Also, pumpkin seeds all over the floor.

quote:

Also, we actually tried finding a way to turn that awful beeping off at the Angelika I worked at because there was absolutely no point to having it on (it's easy to tell when it's done popping, and it starts beeping way before it's ready anyway). They built that hell-screecher in there, with no way to turn it off.

We have two. What's really fun is when they start going off in unison, always slightly out of sync with each other. I don't think me or any of my co-workers can use alarm clocks anymore, because no sound is more horrifying or irritating as that screeching.

quote:

I've generally been unfortunately wrong on this call, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal. If you're still on premises during break, and you're scheduled 8 hours of work, they need to give you at least 20 minutes paid break. Then again, they always forced us to clock out at AMC.

megara posted:

Uh, I and plenty of friends work at animation studios which are way more "entertainment industry" than movie theaters and we get two 15-minute breaks and a 1-hour lunch for an 8-hour day. That poo poo has to be illegal.

Which state are you in?

Well, it's good to know that I'm not completely unfounded in my thoughts that the entertainment industry thing was utter bullshit. The whole no breaks thing pissed me off a lot when I heard about it, but I guess I've kind of got beaten down into acceptance over the months, and gotten used to it.

I'm in Kansas. The thing is, I know there has to be labor laws against this sort of poo poo, because when I worked at a grocery store a few years ago, it was 15-minutes paid ever four hours, and a half hour lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Sugar Bean posted:

Dear TShields,
I felt your pain. I am glad that you are no longer working for CVS. I understand what poo poo it is, and how little they pay their managers to deal with the amount of crap they need to. I worked for them for a year until October of last year, and while I never had to deal with as much poo poo, it was a fair load of shoveling I had to do.
Love,
Sugar Bean

Glad I'm not alone at least.. :unsmith:

The interview with The Container Store went really, really well. I stood out. The managers running it were young and cracking jokes- especially during the "role playing" part of the interview where we had to demonstrate sales strategies. I made them laugh, and I had a killer sales role play with one of them where I even threw in the fact that they were in the middle of a travel sale (which they were), and he acknowledged the fact that I handled the role play perfectly. It was great, the manager was pretending like he had 2 rowdy kids that he wanted to store in luggage bags while taking a trip, which is exactly my sense of humor. I really hope these guys call me back... BUT, they did say that they're not "technically" looking for anyone right now, just testing the waters. They said they don't have a desperate need to hire anybody, but if there is good talent out there, they want to absorb it as quickly as possible. The one plus is that in the group of 9 interviewing, only 2 or 3 of us wanted full time, and of our group, I don't think one of them will be called back. When it came time to ask for volunteers, she never stepped up- she was last to go every single time. The whole thing lasted about two hours, and they said that they would call every one of us within a week. They are not hurting for hours from what they said, so maybe- just maybe- they'll take a chance and bring me on. Oh, what a game changer that would be.. To work for a company that isn't falling apart piece by piece, who actually gives a poo poo about their employees..

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

marsattacks posted:

Well, it's good to know that I'm not completely unfounded in my thoughts that the entertainment industry thing was utter bullshit. The whole no breaks thing pissed me off a lot when I heard about it, but I guess I've kind of got beaten down into acceptance over the months, and gotten used to it.

I'm in Kansas. The thing is, I know there has to be labor laws against this sort of poo poo, because when I worked at a grocery store a few years ago, it was 15-minutes paid ever four hours, and a half hour lunch.
For you and anyone else wondering about their local labor laws: here's the page about break/lunch laws broken down for each state. You'll notice Kansas isn't on that list, because unfortunately "States not listed do not require paid rest periods. All of the eight States with paid rest period requirements, also have meal period requirements." I'm sorry. :(

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I don't want to jinx you again, Tshields, so I will affect an air of casual nonchalance.

Oh really? How interesting.

ed: next goon project, silversiren!

greazeball fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 7, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

A guy walks up and asks me if we're closed.

It is six o'clock. Almost every other shop in town is closed. The shop door is shut. The shades are down. The lights are off. The till is off. There are piles of tables and chairs inside by the door blocking access to most of the shop. Our alarm has just been set and is making loud "GET OUT NOW" warning beeps. My coworker and I are standing outside the door telling him yes, the shop is indeed closed.

My coworker turns away to get his keys out and the guy opens the door and walks in anyway.

:negative:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Volcano posted:

A guy walks up and asks me if we're closed.

It is six o'clock. Almost every other shop in town is closed. The shop door is shut. The shades are down. The lights are off. The till is off. There are piles of tables and chairs inside by the door blocking access to most of the shop. Our alarm has just been set and is making loud "GET OUT NOW" warning beeps. My coworker and I are standing outside the door telling him yes, the shop is indeed closed.

My coworker turns away to get his keys out and the guy opens the door and walks in anyway.

:negative:

I used to do night stock in the lawn and garden department at Wal-Mart. The outside paddock with the plants was closed after like 10pm. We'd turn the automatic doors off, but leave them unlocked because I'd need to water the plants or stock would need to go out there or whatever. The number of people that would force the doors open so they could go outside and look (but not buy, never buy) is astounding.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Last week we had a boomer couple wandering around the store after close. I went up to them and explained the situation.

The guy said -- I poo poo you not -- "Five more minutes." Like a five-year-old bargaining with a parent about bedtime. He didn't even make eye contact when he said it either; he was busily examining merchandise.

I said, "No, sir, we're closed."

"I SAID, FIVE MORE MINUTES," he said tetchily.

Fortunately I was closing with the manager who likes nothing better than kicking some fools out.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are there no goons around you who could help? I'd say you can crash here, but I doubt you're in AZ, and our spare room has mice.

I haven't really checked, it wasn't something that crossed my mind. But I doubt there'd be someone here in this crap hole that would be willing to host me and my cat for very little. :/

I went into Barnes and Noble today, really just to buy something, but I was curious and went and asked the manager if they were hiring for any positions. The second I said "hiring" she started laughing hysterically.
I also stopped by 3 other Publixes to see if they were looking for any full-time people for anything, ANYTHING, and they all did that "uuuhhmmm mmmmm hmmmm weeelllll uhhhhh nooooo..." poo poo.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Alamo Drafthouse posted this video a few days ago. I love how their marketing basically says, "gently caress you, don't give us that "I'll tell all my friends" bullshit, take your horrible attitude elsewhere". If I had Friday nights off, I'd definitely go with them for a part-time job.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Yesterday was my day off and when I went in today, I found out we had an audit done by the district managers. Of course they failed us miserably; we were the worst department in the entire store. I didn't hear much about it because today the store manager and assistant store manager was off, but for sure tomorrow everybody will be in and I'll get to hear all about it.

My boss is going to be undoubtedly in a very pissed off mood, even though he is pretty much the root problem of why are department sucks so much rear end. I really hope store management comes down on him hard, because I'm nearing the end of my rope. If I don't get transferred by July, I'm going to pester our supervisor and store management to no end.

Don't think I've mentioned this yet, but my boss is going through a divorce and he has a kid. poo poo has been going down for the past couple months (although issues have been happening for about a year now) in his personal life, and he's letting it negatively effect everyone else.

He simply does not give two fucks about the job at the moment. He's been coming in late and leaving early without permission. He cooks and eats in our department while on the clock and allows our younger idiot clerks to do the same, so lots of tasks don't get done properly or at all. He bullshits with the people in the department next to us for at least an hour or two everyday. He continues to do lovely orders, which is painfully obvious to everyone but him.

If I get any write ups, I'm throwing him under the bus. We're suppose to be a team and help each other out, but this rear end in a top hat is dropping the ball at every chance and giving everyone a bad name in our department. We both can very well be with the company for another 20 years, so burning bridges is a real bad idea because we'll end up having to work with each other again should we split up. He is not giving me much of a choice though, I will start taking it to store management or even the supervisor if things continue the path they are now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

gabi posted:

For you and anyone else wondering about their local labor laws: here's the page about break/lunch laws broken down for each state. You'll notice Kansas isn't on that list, because unfortunately "States not listed do not require paid rest periods. All of the eight States with paid rest period requirements, also have meal period requirements." I'm sorry. :(
I worked with a guy that had gotten fired as the manager of a Dollar Store for protecting himself from an armed robber. He ended up breaking the guy's arm, it was great. There was a lawsuit against the company that the robber somehow won, and he got sacked.

Started working at Kohl's with me, and was the absolute smartest man working in retail. He could work management like nobodies business. He's the only dude who could wear jeans and tennis shoes while unloading the truck, and he made sure that absolutely everyone got their fair break as a regular, part-time employee.

I love that man, he made working in retail so much easier.

quote:

Alamo Drafthouse posted this video a few days ago. I love how their marketing basically says, "gently caress you, don't give us that "I'll tell all my friends" bullshit, take your horrible attitude elsewhere". If I had Friday nights off, I'd definitely go with them for a part-time job.
Rooster Teeth brags about Alamo Drafthouse at least once a week on their podcast. Makes me really jealous that I don't live in Austin.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Is it really so hard for my manager to look at my availability when making schedules? I'm getting tattooed on the 20th and not only did I have "uptown CAN'T work" written on the time off calendar, but my availability has always said that I cannot work Mondays, and the 20th is one, hence my booking my appointment on that day.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

uptown posted:

Is it really so hard for my manager to look at my availability when making schedules? I'm getting tattooed on the 20th and not only did I have "uptown CAN'T work" written on the time off calendar, but my availability has always said that I cannot work Mondays, and the 20th is one, hence my booking my appointment on that day.
Managers think of their employees as merchandise that they're paying for. It makes sense that over half of the employees in retail are only hired to look pretty. They're always the first to remind you that "This store doesn't revolve around you" but at the same time, expect your life to revolve around the store.

Working in retail is a full-time job, in that even when you're off, it still feels like you're working.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Pissed, and rightly so. rear end-istand manager offered the supposedly nonexistant CS position to a girl who is never here and calls out all the time and calls other people t take her shifts.
gently caress my life.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Managers think of their employees as merchandise that they're paying for. It makes sense that over half of the employees in retail are only hired to look pretty. They're always the first to remind you that "This store doesn't revolve around you" but at the same time, expect your life to revolve around the store.

Working in retail is a full-time job, in that even when you're off, it still feels like you're working.

Ohhh yeah. I dream about work nearly every night; it's just awful.

Lucky for me, since my availability explicitly states that I am not available Mondays, I got my shift switched to another day so I didn't lose hours.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

silversiren posted:

Pissed, and rightly so. rear end-istand manager offered the supposedly nonexistant CS position to a girl who is never here and calls out all the time and calls other people t take her shifts.
gently caress my life.

"Sorry silversiren, but you're just not pretty enough for me and don't already happen to be a friend "CS material""

Retail, because we all thought high-school cliques died off when we were 18. :suicide:

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

uptown posted:

I wrote "work PM only" for next Wednesday and I got scheduled for 15 minutes after my doctor's appointment starts. Granted, I should've specified what time, but usually "PM only" means from 4pm on. I told boss lady this yesterday and now she's freaking out because she thinks we won't have enough coverage since only two people will be there for an hour. :sigh:

I had an interview today at a local classified place for a graphic design position. It's part-time but has potential for full-time. I'm pretty excited, it seems like a pretty sweet job. 8am-5pm schedule, casual dress, away from the general public, no nights or weekends, AND I get to put my lovely associate's degree to use! :toot: Too bad it's 25 miles from where I live, plus I think I asked for too little per hour.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So someone executed a pretty elaborate crime at a neighboring target.

They walked in wearing red and Khaki with a Target name tag and claimed to be a transfer employee from another store. Since the store he was at doesn't have an hr person at the moment no one could verify it. The guy proceeded to work and help guests for several hours and even took scheduled breaks. Then when he thought the time was right he asked for the electronics keys claiming to need to help a guest and took an ipod and left.
:psyduck:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

SpartanIV posted:

They walked in wearing red and Khaki with a Target name tag and claimed to be a transfer employee from another store. Since the store he was at doesn't have an hr person at the moment no one could verify it. The guy proceeded to work and help guests for several hours and even took scheduled breaks. Then when he thought the time was right he asked for the electronics keys claiming to need to help a guest and took an ipod and left.

That's awesome. I like to think he was an apprentice thief in training and that was his test. Now the grizzled old thief will train him and there will be a montage and then he'll be ready to steal art and poo poo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SpartanIV posted:

gently caress thieves and all that, but this man was pretty drat slick.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

"Sorry silversiren, but you're just not pretty enough for me and don't already happen to be a friend "CS material""

Retail, because we all thought high-school cliques died off when we were 18. :suicide:

Yeah pretty much.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
While I do not work in retail, I do have a somewhat similar situation as first post.
I work on a rotation at a tourist attraction that is mostly for kids. One of the things we have is basically a McDonald's Playplace^2 that people staff temporarily.

One kid looked too tall so I measured him and he was almost a head above the height limit line, right as I was telling him he was too tall, his mother started talking over me :nyd: "UHH, NO HE ISN'T! I ALREADY MEASURED HIM, WHERE IS YOUR MANAGER?!" She complains to everyone at the front desk until my manager lets her bring her kid in, immediately afterwards the lady comes up to me and starts saying I made her kid sad and all of a sudden she starts hugging her son who is fake crying and starts saying things like "Its okay, he won't make you cry anymore". Then she tells him to go in. My manager didn't say 2 words to me or any of the 30+ parents sitting on the bench behind me, so all of them start throwing a fit about me not letting their too-tall kids in which I apparently have to do now to keep the peace. Then they do that thing where they start watching everything I do and pointing out things in an obnoxious voice "That kid is too tall, those kids are running, go up there and get my kid, you don't know how to do your job, apparently."

So TL;DR We had to throw away all of our safety rules because some bitchy heavyset black lady screamed at everyone because I wouldn't let her giant kid in the playplace. :arghfist:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 8, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Your manager should have just told her, "Alright, we'll let him in, good luck prying him out when he gets stuck! :smug:".

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

miscellaneous14 posted:

Your manager should have just told her, "Alright, we'll let him in, good luck prying him out when he gets stuck! :smug:".

That would probably escalate to her dramatically pretending to save her child to put a show on in front of the other parents so she can then try and sue us.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

SpartanIV posted:

That's smooth but wayyy too much effort for 1 iPod. Last week a guy stealthily broke our iPod case and stole $10k worth of merch. I really want to see this tape because he was so good he did it on a saturday afternoon and no one noticed.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

gently caress thieves and all that, but this man was pretty drat slick.

By slick you must mean retarded. It is stupid to be on the scene of a crime for that long, to have so many people get a good look at you, and to leave fingerprints all over the place. Even if target doesn't press the local PD to investigate, the dude is gonna try it a second time and be nabbed because someone recognized his face from a printed out picture in the break room.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Does any one here have any experience with Aarons, a type of rent a center?
http://www.aarons.com/

I ask because they are opening a store in town and have been going around my store trying to snipe employes. They are offering 10.50 a hour for drivers, 40+ hours a week and 5 dollars for every delivery you do. All in all it sounds like a no brainier to leaver and go there.

I have no idea what kind of company they are and what kind of long term opportunity's it would offer. Background is I work as a part time sales at wal-mart getting 33 hours a week at 8.05 a hour. It sucks but I also would like to think if I stick with it long enough I can advance in in job status and get moved to full time, and I hear for full time they actually get really decent benefits.

This is also a very small town with a high unemployment rate so I don't want to end up screwing my self over by job hoping.

Any advise or at least any one who has worked there before?

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Darth Freddy posted:

Does any one here have any experience with Aarons, a type of rent a center?
http://www.aarons.com/

I ask because they are opening a store in town and have been going around my store trying to snipe employes. They are offering 10.50 a hour for drivers, 40+ hours a week and 5 dollars for every delivery you do. All in all it sounds like a no brainier to leaver and go there.

I have no idea what kind of company they are and what kind of long term opportunity's it would offer. Background is I work as a part time sales at wal-mart getting 33 hours a week at 8.05 a hour. It sucks but I also would like to think if I stick with it long enough I can advance in in job status and get moved to full time, and I hear for full time they actually get really decent benefits.

This is also a very small town with a high unemployment rate so I don't want to end up screwing my self over by job hoping.

Any advise or at least any one who has worked there before?

You might want to read Stories from Rent-to-Own before you go any further with that... Just saying. At the very least it's amusing as gently caress.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Apocalypse Please posted:

That's smooth but wayyy too much effort for 1 iPod. Last week a guy stealthily broke our iPod case and stole $10k worth of merch. I really want to see this tape because he was so good he did it on a saturday afternoon and no one noticed.

I used to work at an electronics store and one of the other stores in our district, the details are rusty but four guys went in, two of them got the sales associates to help them in opposite corners of the store, two others literally took the glass out of the laptop cases, packed the 6 display laptops in a duffle bag and walked out.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

So TL;DR We had to throw away all of our safety rules because some bitchy heavyset black lady screamed at everyone because I wouldn't let her giant kid in the playplace. :arghfist:

http://www.curtisgotslappedbyawhiteteacher.com/

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I posted earlier about this but...I MUST GET THE gently caress OUT OF THIS PLACE! The boss doesn't know what the hell he's doing as far as the future of our store. We're all ready to kill eachother because we're so short staffed and he just won't face facts that he's pushing everyone over the edge. I have to beg people to cover for me so I can get a day off and not get divorced due to my depression/anxiety/nothing but sleeping and i'm loving sick of it. March 27th was my last scheduled day off..i've had two since then..gonna get one more saturday and then who the gently caress knows. The TWO people who can cover for me don't want to do it because it ruins thier weekends and I have a feeling that this is the last time either of them will do it. gently caress THIS! Ok ranting over....for now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

To those who work at stores with overnight stockers, do you know if they get any premium for working the 3rd shift? I get $.25/hr for working nights but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the hassle. Not only have expectations of how fast I work, etc changed three or four times (without my knowledge) since I've been working there, it seems like 3rd shift is the target of much blame. Someone gently caress up stocking in the 2nd shift? gently caress you, 3rd! You should have spent 30 minutes fixing it throughout your already tight schedule. It just feels so thankless, even more so than normal retail.

I also keep feeling like I'm going to be fired. To be honest, I'm pretty poo poo at the job. I'm not nearly fast enough almost two months in and I'm constantly getting the feeling that people (managers) are discussing something regarding me. Maybe I should start filling out applications again :ohdear:

Edit: As a result of third shift, my brain is all hosed up. I never know what day it is. I've been awake for 12 or 13 hours as of this post and it almost feels like there's a period between 4pm-7am that I've lost. I'm pretty sure I haven't fallen asleep any.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
We just got our schedules for next week, and it looks like everyone, straight across the board, got really low hours, so everyone's scrambling to trade shifts and take other people's shifts and find some way to get a couple more.

It's so weird. One week, I'll end up working forty-five hours, the next, I can barely scrape together eighteen. There's no consistency, in how much I work, or when.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Sankis posted:

3rd shift?

It's all over the map with that. Back in '96 I worked walmart 3rd and got a $1 premium, then when I went to a casino there was no premium but I was making more and actually had benefits so good trade at the time.
Never forget, 3rd is always going to get the blame. It took over a year before the manager at the Walmart figured out that our guys on 3rd were busting rear end, staying late all the time to remove pallets from the salesfloor, etc and never making a dent aside from no-truck nights. It was so awesome, "[Coffee Wolf] park that pallet where you are and head home, I want [someone on 1st] to actually take care of their poo poo"

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
nm

Coffee Wolf fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 9, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Night crews are one of the hardest to get hit any time some one wants to put out the blame. Oh third shift did not get their freight done, oh they left a mess, oh now we have to do all their work. Oh they did not put anything where it belongs.

Now true while some times that poo poo happens especially the latter, they still get way to much blame despite being under staffed and over worked. Turn around for 3rd shift like that is even higher then it is for the day crew. Edit to ad 25 cents sounds way to low for that shift.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 9, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I posted earlier about this but...I MUST GET THE gently caress OUT OF THIS PLACE! The boss doesn't know what the hell he's doing as far as the future of our store. We're all ready to kill eachother because we're so short staffed and he just won't face facts that he's pushing everyone over the edge. I have to beg people to cover for me so I can get a day off and not get divorced due to my depression/anxiety/nothing but sleeping and i'm loving sick of it. March 27th was my last scheduled day off..i've had two since then..gonna get one more saturday and then who the gently caress knows. The TWO people who can cover for me don't want to do it because it ruins thier weekends and I have a feeling that this is the last time either of them will do it. gently caress THIS! Ok ranting over....for now.

Sounds to me like you're going to be sick. Probably all weekend.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
As if things couldn't get any worse, the rumors I'd been hearing about the new system they're installing next month were confirmed today. Apparently we will no longer be allowed to trade shifts or ask people to take our shifts for us. Any missed day for any reason is considered an absence and after 4 absences you get written up. 3 strikes and you're out. It's also cutting hours severely, sometimes even by as much as 50% or more. I'm already averaging about 14 hours a week so gently caress my life I hate this job and everyone at it and I could care less if they all died and burned in hell.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Goons! I need your help. Here is my dilemma- The job I just interviewed with at The Container Store.. when I put in that application, I still had a job. They did not ask me on the phone if I was still employed, so I didn't offer up the information that I was not. At the interview, it was a group-setting, so they didn't ask any of us individually about our current jobs. So, since I don't have a job now.. what do I do? Do I let them keep thinking I have a job, or do I offer up the information that I'm unemployed? If I'm never asked, do I even say anything about it? The information they have now is current to the time when I sent it in. If anything, it is a lie of omission now, but if nobody has said anything.. Gah, I don't know what the gently caress to do. I mean, my old manager said he would cover for me if anyone called asking about me.. But will they even call my current employer? I didn't lie to get where I was as far as the interview process- they never asked. This all occurred to me tonight. I'm expecting a call from them any day now. What do I do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
I got the graphic design job! :dance: That was the fastest turnaround time I've ever had on a job offer. Buuuuut since it only starts out at three days a week, I'll still have to work at the bookstore for a while until at least my probationary period ends. I don't want to cut my ties there and then not have anything to back me up if it turns out I don't like/can't do this job, so I guess I'll be there on Saturdays and another day or two during the week. But hey, weekly pay now!

Anyway, related: a lady came in yesterday and bought a bunch of souvenir magnets. We had a couple that said "someone who loves me went to Delaware and bought me this magnet!" I wouldn't get that for someone I love, but whatever. She asked if we had any more, we said no. She called THREE times today asking if we had any more of those stupid magnets or if we could get in contact with the vendor. The third time she called, I just passed her off to the manager because I was tired of telling her we had no way of controlling what they sent us.