Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Was anyone else a little disappointed that the game just kind of forgets about Alex once you get to Hong-Kong? It seems like the first portion of the game sets him up to be JC's conscience, and I would have liked to see him stick around so that we could play with that dynamic some more. It would have been nice as well to have one character who stays with you and grows and changes throughout the game, since JC is relatively static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

FactsAreUseless posted:

Was anyone else a little disappointed that the game just kind of forgets about Alex once you get to Hong-Kong? It seems like the first portion of the game sets him up to be JC's conscience, and I would have liked to see him stick around so that we could play with that dynamic some more. It would have been nice as well to have one character who stays with you and grows and changes throughout the game, since JC is relatively static.

He does, though?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Try different speech options with him. Also the events of Deus Ex all happen within a few days. Having characters grow in such a short time span is kind of impractical.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr_Fever posted:

TIL that there are people in the world who thought the voice acting in DX was anything but borderline terrible.

Borderline?

"A BOMB!!"

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know, personally I've always felt that that was just one out of maybe a few lines which were totally read incorrectly (on top of a voice direction to speak extremely monotone and emotionless, possibly tying in with the early ideas about JC). I really never thought that line was funny unless I hear it out of context (the voice acting videos). Barring the main characters the extreme supporting cast, however, is pretty drat terrible.

Actually, I kind of feel that way about the bartending scene (and other similar ones), too, as if it is that unusual to wax philosophically with a bartender, especially in a videogame or cyberpunk.

Speaking of that, that DX:HR screenshot is :wtf:

Edit:vvvvv Yeah, that's what I mean by the "extreme" supporting cast. Even people up to (and definitely including) Maggie Chow.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 3, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
et ehz nah ahdvisuble for torlist to visirt canar at nihte

Dr_Fever
Apr 28, 2008

Iggles posted:

The voice acting is just one of many reasons to love Deus Ex

Oh I completely agree, but it's still borderline terrible.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
^^^ The voice acting is like the enemy AI. Terrible, but that just makes it better.

This got posted in the DX:HR thread. It's a video from the leaked release, but there aren't really any spoilers in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5bAPawvvdE

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Sam. posted:

^^^ The voice acting is like the enemy AI. Terrible, but that just makes it better.

This got posted in the DX:HR thread. It's a video from the leaked release, but there aren't really any spoilers in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5bAPawvvdE

This is irrefutable evidence that the soul of the original DX has been captured.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

How unprofessional

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEWoVsF0MIo

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

What a shame.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Okay, now I'm excited for HR.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Stuntman posted:

I just realized that you can use cigarettes as basically a single shot peppergun. This goddamn game.

Citation needed. I just tried this on a UNATCO trooper and got shot in the face.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NecroBob posted:

Citation needed. I just tried this on a UNATCO trooper and got shot in the face.

It might be a biomod thing. Do you have biomod installed? You should have biomod installed. There is no reason not to have biomod installed.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It might be a biomod thing. Do you have biomod installed? You should have biomod installed. There is no reason not to have biomod installed.

If I already started a save with Shifter, can I seamlessly swap out Shifter for Biomod? I'm about to destroy the UC on my no weapon playthrough and I don't want to have to do all that stuff over again.

EDIT: drat, the moddb link to it is down. :(

EDIT 2: Nevermind, tried it in firefox where it didn't blank out the whole page when getting a 404.

NecroBob fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 5, 2011

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

NecroBob posted:

If I already started a save with Shifter, can I seamlessly swap out Shifter for Biomod?

I think you can, but back it up just in case.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I reinstalled because the Human Revolution thread got me stoked. Just made it to Hell's Kitchen, doing a stealth/nonlethal run. I've never managed to find the code for the back room in Osgood and Sons, probably because I simply blasted my way through every problem and took in the bare minimum of side missions etc. Anyone know how to get into that drat room? I just want to know what the hell is behind that door.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

FlyingCheese posted:

Try different speech options with him. Also the events of Deus Ex all happen within a few days. Having characters grow in such a short time span is kind of impractical.

Don't get people started on Deus Ex's very strange idea of time!

(once your killswitch is activated, you get knocked out, taken back to UNATCO, are unconscious for an undetermined amount of time, escape, fly to Hong Kong, and still have 12 out of 24 hours left for your killswitch to completely kill you. The fuckin' helicopter technology we will have in 2050, drat.)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Hard Clumping posted:

Don't get people started on Deus Ex's very strange idea of time!

(once your killswitch is activated, you get knocked out, taken back to UNATCO, are unconscious for an undetermined amount of time, escape, fly to Hong Kong, and still have 12 out of 24 hours left for your killswitch to completely kill you. The fuckin' helicopter technology we will have in 2050, drat.)

Don't you know? Killswitches run on local time! Going to Hong Kong gave you more time!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
HeliJock is a supersonic vehicle though (mentioned ingame), so it could probably fly to Hong Kong in a couple of hours!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Samopsa posted:

HeliJock is a supersonic vehicle though (mentioned ingame), so it could probably fly to Hong Kong in a couple of hours!

Hong Kong is ahead of the US by about 12 hours or so so if that were the case you'd actually be dead. :v:

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Hong Kong is ahead of the US by about 12 hours or so so if that were the case you'd actually be dead. :v:

Actually timezones were removed once people realized it was always midnight, no matter where they went.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

MJ12 figured out a way to block out the sun so everyone is dependent on them for food.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5XLO75bF4

There's always something you've never seen before in Deus Ex.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Sam. posted:

whoah he knows the second verse, that's hardcore

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtea9XsPt4

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Oh god, this is just completely hilarious. This is the best since GET PILLS AGAINST MY ORDERS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm thinking of doing another playthrough of DX. I've only ever played vanilla, what's different in biomod?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'm thinking of doing another playthrough of DX. I've only ever played vanilla, what's different in biomod?
There is seriously a ton of stuff. Some fixes, mods are switched a bit so everything actually has a use. Lots of custom weapons to find. Mantling (can climb up on objects while they're about up to your waist instead of finding a short crate). No way I can remember it all. You'll really want to try it out.
With the kentie .exe.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
everything. Augs are way more useful, some are passive, skill overhaul, etcetera. All little things fixed, inv. management made better, the list goes on. It's basically a gameplay update to bring DX into the next decennial.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

What did I just watch? :psyduck:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sam. posted:

I'm pretty thorough so I found him on my first run. Since I'm not American it's the only place I've ever heard that song.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Welp, found Lucius de Beers for the first time behind the mirror in Everett's mansion. It's absolutely true what everyone says about finding new stuff each time.

edit: do I even need to spoiler that?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The best part of that is when a 3rd JC appears. "I have some good news for both of you."

Vlex posted:

Welp, found Lucius de Beers for the first time behind the mirror in Everett's mansion. It's absolutely true what everyone says about finding new stuff each time.

edit: do I even need to spoiler that?
First play-through for me. Major factor in not siding with Everett for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I figured he was an rear end in a top hat since his last name was "De Beers" :colbert:

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

That and he shouts "AH COMMAND YOU" at you?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I figured he was an rear end in a top hat since his last name was "De Beers" :colbert:

Yeah, I think that's what they were implying. In this case they're both huge douchebags.

Also, I listen to that bum every time I do a playthrough. He's awesome. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

IRQ posted:

Biomod is really cool, and it improves on a lot of aspects of the game, but if you find it to be too much at first you can always play a run through with Shifter. I played with Shifter before Biomod, and I don't think I would have liked Biomod as much if I would not have done so.