Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
The other problem is that it's a direct flash. That's going to give you harsh shadows. You could fill in the shadows with ambient or reflector or something, but another way to do it would be to just use a bigger and more diffuse light source -- umbrella, soft box, etc. That'll give you a smoother transition to shadows, so it'll look nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I just found out that the music teacher association in my state wants a photographer for their convention. They will supply a piano and all I would be doing is taking pictures of kids sitting at the piano and the parents could buy prints from my website. I would have different galleries dependent on the time of day and which day to make finding their picture easy. I haven't gotten exact details yet, nor am I sure I'll be doing it.

I was thinking about getting a simple strobe setup. Do you think a single Alienbee with a large softbox or octobox would be sufficient?
I also already have a backdrop and would tether a laptop to at least show the results.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
One Octa would be more than enough. It's nice to have a second, but if there's enough ambient light, you won't need it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

One Octa would be more than enough. It's nice to have a second, but if there's enough ambient light, you won't need it.

Thanks that's what I was hoping. I assume I'll keep it dialed down low and let the ambient fill the rest?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Thanks that's what I was hoping. I assume I'll keep it dialed down low and let the ambient fill the rest?

Set your light for whatever fstop exposure you want, then slow down your shutter speed to allow more ambient in. Aperture controls overall subject exposure and shutter speed controls ambient light.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Set your light for whatever fstop exposure you want, then slow down your shutter speed to allow more ambient in. Aperture controls overall subject exposure and shutter speed controls ambient light.

yeah, I know, I should have chosen my words better. I've done a lot of "bar" style photography with a hand held flash and ran long exposure times to let in the ambient. Works quiet well.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The shot was taken in broad daylight, so that setting was the only way to darken the sky enough. Ideally I needed some way of lightening the shadows on his face, while keeping the ambient at the same low level.
White foamcore to the left of his face, just outside the frame will do that. While a 1-2 stop ambient underexposure is a good idea I think you went too far with those grey clouds. They should be white.

quote:

I tried adding fill light in post but that lightened the sky as well as the shadows on his face
What software? Increase fill light, then darken the skies. Or just add fill light to his face masking everything else.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Probably will cross-post this to PAD once I am awake enough to form critiques.

Taken a few hours ago - if you click on this link it'll take you to a blog entry with six images where you can view the SOOC images as well. :)

I realize I hosed up the exposure on the last one, which is why her skin tone is off.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 9, 2011

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Those are nicely lit and I like the poses but I think you need to move the model away from the backdrop a bit. The paper texture is distracting.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not getting much separation between her background and hair on my monitor. Might want to rim that.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Paragon8 posted:

I'm not getting much separation between her background and hair on my monitor. Might want to rim that.

Ditto, you also could have increased your exposure by about half a stop and been good. I'm sure it's completely fixable in post. I dig the the light though!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Last picture in that set made me laugh. Nice capture (even if the lighting there is crappy).
Thirding the "more distance from background" and "add hairlights" requests.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Thanks for the comments, guys!

I... actually like the texture of the seamless though. :(

I agree with the need for a hair lighting - I need a grid for my strip box, the light spill was a bit overpowering and didn't balance well in the photos.

Here are a few more from last night's session. It would've been nice to have another light to put some fill on the left side of her face (camera left).

Thanks again, let me know what you think.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

They're good except the hair/rim light.

To be honest I am awful at black background stuff so I tend to mainly do white/grey backgrounds because of that - so you're doing a better job than I would at any rate!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Yea I think it'd benefit a lot from some rim light/backlit hair. Otherwise its pretty great.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
The only other thing I noticed aside from the seperation is that the skin on her arms looks blotchy. I dont think thats a lighting problem, but something you might consider cleaning up in post. Or maybe try to hide it with lighting? (I've dunno how you would)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Anybody else like Breaking Bad?

They just posted portraits of the cast on their website.

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/breaking-bad-season-4-character-portraits/walter-white.php

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Anybody else like Breaking Bad?

They just posted portraits of the cast on their website.

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/breaking-bad-season-4-character-portraits/walter-white.php

Those are all really weird. That's about the best word for it that comes to my mind.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Those are all really weird. That's about the best word for it that comes to my mind.

Some are better than others, but I think the shadows are too dark on some, IMO. I realize they're going for mood, but I think the mood could still be accomplished with more fill.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Crit me please goons! I've been asked to do another shoot like this and I know there's things I'm missing out on.

As a matter of interest, I was shooting a single Canon 430exii flash in a brolly and used a reflector to try and balance the rest of the light, the makeup was done by someone else and I didn't have any say in how much or little was used, I was simply tasked with taking a photo of the end result.

I've already booked a Profoto rig for the next shoot (beginning of July) - 2x 500w heads, brollys, stands, the works. It should result in a more consistent tone in the pictures, buuuuut .. Well, I'm still learning so I'll see afterwards.

Makeover Photoshoot-8 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-19 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-25 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-37 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-43 by sildargod, on Flickr

Shooting people you've never met / spoken to is intimidating!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Number 2 looks good (except for her upper lip being very light?). The others are low contrast/low saturation/low exposure- in particular the last photo. Were you aiming for a grey background or a white one? If the latter you need to add some light there.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

sildargod posted:

Crit me please goons! I've been asked to do another shoot like this and I know there's things I'm missing out on.

As a matter of interest, I was shooting a single Canon 430exii flash in a brolly and used a reflector to try and balance the rest of the light, the makeup was done by someone else and I didn't have any say in how much or little was used, I was simply tasked with taking a photo of the end result.

I've already booked a Profoto rig for the next shoot (beginning of July) - 2x 500w heads, brollys, stands, the works. It should result in a more consistent tone in the pictures, buuuuut .. Well, I'm still learning so I'll see afterwards.

Makeover Photoshoot-8 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-19 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-25 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-37 by sildargod, on Flickr

Makeover Photoshoot-43 by sildargod, on Flickr

I do not understand why you shot #2 at f/2.8, you loose all your detail in the hair. If you do not want shadow behind your model sit them further from the screen. Is the last model a vampire? Her skin is so white ... I hope you had fun doing these it looked like it was!

My turn ! I had a newborn and geeez it's hard to take picture and I lack imagination on pose... This is my 3rd son and I did a little shoot. I have a 430ex and I do not master the flash at all. I took all these shot in my garage, I need more lighting. I am thinking of taking a studio class. I am also planning on buying another flash(strobe) in the near future. Any suggestion / critique is welcome.

ADAM by JY-G, on Flickr

ADAM by JY-G, on Flickr

ADAM by JY-G, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Cross_ posted:

Number 2 looks good (except for her upper lip being very light?). The others are low contrast/low saturation/low exposure- in particular the last photo. Were you aiming for a grey background or a white one? If the latter you need to add some light there.

Ugh.. the white upper lip, don't get me started. The MUA had some rather interesting ideas about makeup composition, and made the people up in her view. I only realised the issues when editing the pics in post.
I wanted a white background, but working with a single lonely flash really messed with my ability to control the light. I tried to angle it in such a way to flood the backdrop too, but that just killed any decent light on the model. So much to learn, so much to learn.

Niagalack posted:

I do not understand why you shot #2 at f/2.8, you loose all your detail in the hair. If you do not want shadow behind your model sit them further from the screen. Is the last model a vampire? Her skin is so white ... I hope you had fun doing these it looked like it was!

I actually shot a few of #2 at a more decent f/8, but I quite liked the effect shooting wide open had on her. She is a very soft spoken and quite timid lady, so taking a softer picture seemed appropriate.
As to the last lady, she is very, very pale. I didn't see any vampire teeth though, but you never know...
It was fun, though rushing through the various models made it quite difficult to engage with anyone. I'm looking forward to the next one though, having decent lighting should make a big difference to the final images and I'll feel a lot more confident with the ladies too.

Thank you goons!

edit : I use "alas" WAY too much.

sildargod fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 15, 2011

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

sildargod posted:

I only realised the issues when editing the pics in post.
Why? You didn't notice the pale make-up in front of you? It looked different on the LCD? I am not talking about the white lip which might be easy to miss, but the overall paleness.

quote:

I actually shot a few of #2 at a more decent f/8, but I quite liked the effect shooting wide open had on her. She is a very soft spoken and quite timid lady, so taking a softer picture seemed appropriate.
It's a creative choice; whatever you and the client are happy with.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I need some quick advice!

A photographer is going to let me use his studio this week to practice portraiture. I've never done this before and can really use some advice on how to pose someone decently. Unfortunately I can't move his lighting around, and I gather that it'll be one or two Alien Bees (or such) softboxed.

Would it be helpful to bring a few photos on my Android tablet to use as guides and show my model?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

I need some quick advice!

Would it be helpful to bring a few photos on my Android tablet to use as guides and show my model?

Yes. I use my iPad for this all the time. Good luck! :)

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
I need to start taking photos of people in more controlled environments instead of just random candids. The post thing in the background behind her is driving me nuts, but I can't seem to edit it out without her hair looking obviously photoshopped.
What do you think?
I'm also terrible at white balances, and this started out really underexposed on her face and kind of red. I hope it looks kind of reasonable now...

:)

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

akulol posted:

I need to start taking photos of people in more controlled environments instead of just random candids. The post thing in the background behind her is driving me nuts, but I can't seem to edit it out without her hair looking obviously photoshopped.
What do you think?
I'm also terrible at white balances, and this started out really underexposed on her face and kind of red. I hope it looks kind of reasonable now...

:)

Yeah, that post is kinda distracting but the first thing which caught my eye was that it now looks rather overexposed and somewhat yellow, I think.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I'm usually a landscape guy, but I ventured out of my comfort zone during a trip to Napa Valley. Here's a couple of a friend.

IMG_1384 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

IMG_1368 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

sildargod posted:

I would consider grabbing yourself some softboxes, too - they're great for soft lighting and would work a treat for makeover style shoots, because they're there to have a photo of them "looking nice" so a decent sized softbox would work nicely in getting some soft, even lighting. Find a victim to practice on when your lights arrive and practice, practice, practice.

Not posted for a while - I've been undertaking the gruelling job of photographing beautiful women who were all really nice. Don't even get me started on the punishing 11am start. Brutal.

Anyway, sorry - here are a couple, I have far, far too many to make any sort of informed decision on which I like the most, not to mention not enough time to give them all enough attention.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

^^ #4 rocks.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Gazmachine posted:

Why does she have no facial features or bone structure? :gonk:

You might have gone a little wild on the skin smoothing. She's kinda doll-like.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Ha! Well that's about as polarised as two opinions can get, I guess. I like that :)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Gazmachine posted:

Ha! Well that's about as polarised as two opinions can get, I guess. I like that :)

Well, what he says is true, but I assumed you were going for that look. It's not a realistic image, but I think it looks nice.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, what he says is true, but I assumed you were going for that look. It's not a realistic image, but I think it looks nice.

Yeah, that was indeed the intention. Same as the vignetting on #1 trying to be like a wartime 40s sort of thing.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Yeah, that was indeed the intention. Same as the vignetting on #1 trying to be like a wartime 40s sort of thing.

..and it came out really well. The red hair might be a bit too intense but other than that it looks great.

Falco posted:

IMG_1368 by Shane Duff, on Flickr
Be nice to your friends- don't shoot them from below. Eye-level or above.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 22, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Something weird is going on with her eyes, almost looks like glare off contact lenses?

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

Something weird is going on with her eyes, almost looks like glare off contact lenses?

Ok, so I'm totally into the 40 wartime photo aesthetic you're going for, but I agree there's something wrong with the eyes. Specifically, I think they're too sharp, I can't stop staring at the lashes and their reflection in the eyes. But overall, these are amazing, I'm super jealous of the way the background color plays off the hair in 4.

Shots like these make me want to shoot color again.

I'm sure y'all would prefer to do this digitally, but put some vaseline on that lens.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yeah, the softboxes are so close that it gives that slighty odd effect. I say effect, I mean unintended mistake.

I love getting the softboxes super close for this ultra soft lighting but that's one of the drawbacks. How could I alter the positioning without losing the softness by taking them too far back? Maybe I just need a larger main softbox (like an Octabox)? I do like to rent them, so maybe I'll go ahead and buy while I have the work coming in.

Thanks for the crit on the sharpness - I have a good sharpen algorithm but it's a little too effective on hair and lashes, due to it having a tiny pixel radius. Then I resize smaller and I agree, it's just too sharp.

It probably didn't need sharpening in the first place - bit of a bad habit of mine is "everything must be sharpened no matter what it is!"

Thanks for the crits :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I love the first one. 2 soft boxes I assume? What was the positioning?