Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

what kind of primer are we talking about? Because vallejo makes airbrush primer

Interesting, i haven't seen it anywhere but i will look into that. The primer I have is regular vallejo brush on primer, i got a bottle with a paint kit and figured i might as well use that up first before I break into anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Arlaharen posted:

Finally got my tutorial for gatorskin up on Handcannon online for those interested.

This is awesome.

You are awesome.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Arlaharen posted:

Finally got my tutorial for gatorskin up on Handcannon online for those interested.

This is a good little write up, I need to spend more time working on my shading techniques, I might pick up some gatormen to give this a shot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What brand airbrush are you guys using, and where do you get them from?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\

I use a Grex XT/compressor combo set; it's pricey but I'm liking every bit of it. Of course there's always the harbor freight combo that's like 80-100 that's adequate for base coating.

Arlaharen posted:

Beautiful. Thanks for posting this.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2011

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Real hurthling! posted:

You're wrong. Insta cure is the best poo poo ever and it never seals itself up. Krazy glue is for huffing and/or fixing a "world's best grandpa" mug. Gap filling or go home.

hi-loving-5.
Instacure (both liquid and gap-filling gel) are the best glues I've ever used. They blow that supermarket poo poo out of the water.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Instacure purple bottle for lyfe :hfive:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Someone took the cap off my instacure, put it partially back on, and left it on its side :negative:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Once I figured out that the plastic nub you twist off the top of the Zap a Gap bottle before you can use it is also a cap to seal the thing, pretty much all my problems with it disappeared.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What brand airbrush are you guys using, and where do you get them from?

I just got an Iwata brush and compressor, Also if anyone cares the Iwata silver jet comes with a filter to keep water out and a set of adapters for most three other manufactures. I ended up getting them from amazon because I have a free prime membership that has give free two day shipping.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone tp'd your dog mister

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
murder the person who sculpted and cast these shredders

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
PP metals: green stuff not included

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Chance II posted:

Here is my little regimental command squad I've been practicing sculpting with all together and, for the most part, done.

clock wise from top left: female master of the fleet, commander McBadass, Power Sarge, bodyguard, and medic.

The bodyguard (waiting on a laspistol hand) and medic came out with the best proportions of the group. I'm going to wait until I can find some Fimo and some real tools rather than a sewing needle and hobby knife before I start on anymore. Overall I feel that they turned out alright for a first try.

Are there any other go tutorials for working with green stuff/sculpting full figures than the ones linking in the OP?

Not bad, but proportions could use some work, particularly the officer of the fleet's arm looks a bit long. It would be interesting to see them painted.

A list of useful sculpting tutorials I found in my bookmarks:
(might be handy to add at least a few to the OP)

Musketeer Minis figure sculpting tutorial

Random useful stuff on Scibor

Badsmile's tute on Massive Voodoo (with poly clay though)

Heresy miniatures figure tute

The Art of Miniature Sculpting pdf

First an last ones are by far the most informative. The Massive Voodoo one is also really good, but not so useful as poly clay works slightly differently than putty

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Thanks these look good and I'll check'em out.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I just got an Iwata brush and compressor, Also if anyone cares the Iwata silver jet comes with a filter to keep water out and a set of adapters for most three other manufactures. I ended up getting them from amazon because I have a free prime membership that has give free two day shipping.

I have an uncle who got an Iwata brush when they hired him to demo one at a trade show, and he swears by it. Says it's really easy to use, and gives a super fine spray. I'm picking up with my next paycheck for sure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What style Iwata are you using? Gravity fed? Bottle? Side siphon? There was a post a long time ago that I quoted about air brushes that had some good advice. If you want I can post it again. The Iwata HP-BCS was well recommended.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

PP metals: green stuff not included

but why would you even cast two separate leg pieces only one of which has a half-tab on it forcing you to try and shove both legs into the body at the same time, trying to position them properly relative to both the torso and the base because the untabbed feet don't have definite resting positions, trying to make superglue stick on both sides at once and not glue your fingers to the lump when then falls apart when you peel them off aargh :gonk: it took longer to assemble four shredders than it took to do the carnivean and seraph which have like twice as many pieces

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What style Iwata are you using? Gravity fed? Bottle? Side siphon? There was a post a long time ago that I quoted about air brushes that had some good advice. If you want I can post it again. The Iwata HP-BCS was well recommended.

I have the airbrush post booked marked but reposting it for others might be a good idea.

I went for this number here

http://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-Eclipse-Action-Airbrush-Gravity/dp/B000BQKFAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1307587521&sr=1-1

I just got it today so I am still learning but its stupid simple to use and take apart to clean. Also vallejo normal primer doesn't water down very well with isopropyl alcohol, I am guessing the pigment is not soluble in isopropyl because it turned into a powder in the the bottom of the container I was mixing in but my dicking around with regular yellow paint worked fine. I plan on getting some containers tomarrow for thinning and just trying to get used to using it so I can lay down even coats and I might try using windex instead for thinner to help with the odor and reduce the fire risk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ayn Randi posted:

but why would you even cast two separate leg pieces only one of which has a half-tab on it forcing you to try and shove both legs into the body at the same time, trying to position them properly relative to both the torso and the base because the untabbed feet don't have definite resting positions, trying to make superglue stick on both sides at once and not glue your fingers to the lump when then falls apart when you peel them off aargh :gonk: it took longer to assemble four shredders than it took to do the carnivean and seraph which have like twice as many pieces

pin the pelvis together in a position that has the feet flat and stable. Glue and let dry. attach to torso.

I had the same deal with my woldwarden. No biggie.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
What palettes do you all use?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Those are some awesome models PV! Are you taking commissions again?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Inverse Icarus posted:

A piece of baking parchment atop a sponge in a tupperware dish with water in the bottom.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I use a couple of $1 dimpled palettes I got from an art supply store. Sometimes I like peeling off the dried layers of old paint. It's like pulling skin from an old sunburn and owns.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Eight skulls of endangered eagles, laquered with oils from deadly amazonian plants, set into a Damascus steel disc. The steel was forged from ancient wrought iron swords, alloyed with carbon from the burnt remains of my foemen, and glass harvested from the blasted craters that were once their lands. :black101:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Eight skulls of endangered eagles, laquered with oils from deadly amazonian plants, set into a Damascus steel disc. The steel was forged from ancient wrought iron swords, alloyed with carbon from the burnt remains of my foemen, and glass harvested from the blasted craters that were once their lands. :black101:

So how much does one of those run ya?

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

I've seen a cd case be used as pallet before.

Also when I want to remove models from their bases I just put them in the freezer first? And when I go to use simple green what technique do I use to strip the paint? Soak them?

sansuki
May 17, 2003

ghetto wormhole posted:

About $.70 at Michaels.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ghetto wormhole posted:

About 800 Air Miles.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Raunchy posted:

I've seen a cd case be used as pallet before.

Also when I want to remove models from their bases I just put them in the freezer first? And when I go to use simple green what technique do I use to strip the paint? Soak them?

Freeze, then allow to return to normal temperature (or wrap your hand around it until it's not cold anymore), then try breaking it off.

Soak the mini in simple green to strip paint off.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
I use a wet pallet made out of a "Really Useful Box" brand sealed lid box with wet paper towel and parchment paper. It has a habit of drying out around the edges and pulls the parchment from the towel, ruining it after a day or two, so I've been tinkering with putting an aluminum rod weight in the bottom to keep the paper "clipped" in place. Something about an "ice pallet" I saw before looked interesting, which is one of those plastic pallets attached to a long-lasting ice pack, then the entire thing is wrapped tightly in foil, conforming it to the dimples in the pallet. Not sure how well it works though.
I've seen some crazy fucks use everything from a ceramic tile to their thumbnail for pallets though, so really it's about what you need/want out of it.

Also, on the airbrush front, I want to pick up an air tank so I can hook up my Harbor Freight compressor to it and get an adjustable air pressure flow, or just get a compressor with a flow regulator built in so I can go from 5 PSI to 20 on the fly. Any recommendations for either (or both)?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Fix posted:

A piece of baking parchment atop a sponge in a tupperware dish with water in the bottom.

except with jay cloths instead of sponge

I used to use a ceramic tile and trust me you want to use the wet palette

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Holy poo poo, mixing medium is awesome. That is all.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Odd question but does anyone know where I can find around 12 small plastic riot shields?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Old computer CDs/DVDs. Or just anything flat and plastic really.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Fix posted:

This. I love my wet palette. My only regret is that I didn't make the switch sooner.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
High five home made wet palette crew. It really will change your painting life forever.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Miles O'Brian posted:

High five home made wet palette crew. It really will change your painting life forever.

I just started trying this last night, my first attempt was just a piece of the foam that came in a blister pack. It actually wasn't that bad. I see why you need the baking parchment though.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My current painting station is a solid dining room chair infront of the tv. My pallette is a condom wrapper and an empty ziplock bag that contained weed. My water cup is a tacky as poo poo viking cup with all this deadly knot work. I have shifted to the loungeroom because my desk is just too cluttered.

edit: The condom is still in the wrapper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

Sole.Sushi posted:

Something about an "ice pallet" I saw before looked interesting, which is one of those plastic pallets attached to a long-lasting ice pack, then the entire thing is wrapped tightly in foil, conforming it to the dimples in the pallet. Not sure how well it works though.

Massive Voodoo Ice Palette

That may be where you saw it, that was the first place I ran across it. It works fairly well but if you are wanting to keep colors over night, the more traditional wet palettes in an enclosure works much better. I use the ice palette when I can sit for a 2-3 hour session of painting. I have the same issue my parchment paper and it's edges, although I am still trying to get a match on the way the main guy on Massive Voodoo does his

• Locked thread