Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It's too bad they call people out for moshing/stage-diving so they certainly aren't above alienating people for doing things they don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I just got back from seeing RVIVR and I have to say it was one of the better shows I've seen recently. A friend of mine was telling me when she toured with them they would noblely call out things that were said earlier that were... I don't know, really unnecessary? At the show I was at they mentioned some guy calling a girl a "bitch" earlier and some homophobia. It was actually really great that they spoke about being against sexism, homophobia, and mysognystic bullshit.

Aside from calling out all that, at the show I went to they also took an rear end in a top hat to the mat for kicking people in the face while crowdsurfing.

RVIVR: Not afraid to call anyone on their poo poo.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
They're against it in general but they dont make that clear before shows and instead wait until someone does it and call them out/ostracize them just for not knowing. It's the worst possible way to go about it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Holy gently caress, the new Cave In is incredible. "Sing My Loves" is my song of the year so far.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
just got back from Against Me!/Screaming Females/Lemuria. Screamales and Lemuria were awesome, as predicted. Against Me! was totally boring, though they played Baby I'm An Anarchist, which is like the one song of theirs I can remember, so that was kinda cool.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008
I know this is probably way late, but I finally forced myself to listen to the new Screeching Weasel album. I guess I should have prefaced this statement with my decade and a half of undying love for screeching weasel, and the fact that I own everything they've ever recorded, and everything attached to it. I will not own this album. I heard it was bad, but I had no idea how bad. It seems like it's all half done ideas put through the sausage grinder that's Ben Weasel's hosed up little head. And it seriously sounded like muddled poo poo. Worse than "Wiggle" or "HTMEAIP". I guess my love affair with Screeching Weasel is over, because I can't loving stand Ben anymore as a human, and I'm really glad I never got that loving tattoo.

But still, seriously... "My Brain Hurts" is the best poo poo ever. Next to "Death By Television".

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

heeebrew posted:

Whatever happened to Circle Takes the Square? Is there any new bands that match them?

http://ritualofnames.blogspot.com/

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The Balance and Composure release show last Saturday was awesome. Little disappointed they didn't play as much as I thought they would from Separation (no title track, I Tore You Apart In My Head, or More to Me), but they did play all of the split with Tigers Jaw. Great show to go to, and Make Do and Mend really impressed me. Need to remember to pick up their stuff when I have the time and money.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

NeilPerry posted:

http://comadre.bandcamp.com/

New Comadre Mixtape containing new songs by Trainwreck, Punch and friggin Funeral Diner. It's only 3 dollars and it all goes to charity so don't hold back.

I've given it a listen on my crappy laptop speakers and it's pretty good except maybe the fact that the Broadway Calls and Daikon songs are a bit out of theme. But hey most of us would pay a lot more for a split of Trainwreck and Funeral Diner with those two songs alone so it's still worth the money.

The "new" Funeral Diner on this comp was released on the mini-cd for their Japanese tour. It's called "Two More" and is one of my favorite songs. The rest of the comp is very good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

acup posted:

The "new" Funeral Diner on this comp was released on the mini-cd for their Japanese tour. It's called "Two More" and is one of my favorite songs.

That whole CD (all three tracks!) is loving awesome. I listen to it on repeat for so long sometimes.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

That whole CD (all three tracks!) is loving awesome. I listen to it on repeat for so long sometimes.

Was gonna post the same thing. "I Was the Sword" is arguably the best Funeral Diner song ever written. That song hits you like a brick.

AbrahamBurgers
Aug 30, 2007

It's like people only do things because they get paid

Parachute Underwear posted:

Was gonna post the same thing. "I Was the Sword" is arguably the best Funeral Diner song ever written. That song hits you like a brick.

Pretty much the best thing they've ever done. Wish I hadn't sold my Ampere/Funeral Diner split when I decided records were stupid.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

It took some convincing on my end, but lately I've been on a folk punk bender. Captain Bratch and the Red Beards, Naive Fighters, The Anarchist Pizza Society, Apples to Apples, Mistake Makers. They are all soooo good. Where should I go now? Don't say mischief brew. :v:

quote:

I know this is probably way late, but I finally forced myself to listen to the new Screeching Weasel album. I guess I should have prefaced this statement with my decade and a half of undying love for screeching weasel, and the fact that I own everything they've ever recorded, and everything attached to it. I will not own this album. I heard it was bad, but I had no idea how bad. It seems like it's all half done ideas put through the sausage grinder that's Ben Weasel's hosed up little head. And it seriously sounded like muddled poo poo. Worse than "Wiggle" or "HTMEAIP". I guess my love affair with Screeching Weasel is over, because I can't loving stand Ben anymore as a human, and I'm really glad I never got that loving tattoo.

But still, seriously... "My Brain Hurts" is the best poo poo ever. Next to "Death By Television".

Ben. Weasel. Is. A. Cock.

I love weasel too, and yeah, the new album was fairly mediocre, especially with the incident that followed it. Still, give fortune cookie a solid listen. It seems like a pretty solid song to me. I like to think danny vapid had a big part in it because it sounds like it.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Quantumfate posted:

It took some convincing on my end, but lately I've been on a folk punk bender. Captain Bratch and the Red Beards, Naive Fighters, The Anarchist Pizza Society, Apples to Apples, Mistake Makers. They are all soooo good. Where should I go now? Don't say mischief brew. :v:

Blackbird Raum, Hail Seizures, Dandelion Junk Queens, Bread and Roses, Rosa, The loving Buckaroos, Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, Mutiny, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb.

Those are all over the folk punk spectrum, so i'm sure some will work for you, assuming you don't already know them all.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

The new hosed Up is soooooo goooooood.

Posted here to say this. This is the first hosed Up album I've listened to and it's great. "The Other Shoe" "One more Night" and Truth in Paper" are incredible.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?
Well, Hidden World is still the best hosed Up album.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

ZentraediElite posted:

http://ritualofnames.blogspot.com/

I've learned to hate this band so much yet I'm still carrying around their messenger bag. I'll listen to the new album but I don't think it'll be able to match up to the hype. But I'll keep an open mind.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

How is TSOL live these days? I picked up a ticket to see em next sunday. Also it says no moshing! Whaaaat!

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I still need help booking a few more tour dates. I play in a female-fronted pop punk band called Dead Ringer. I'm looking for help in Georgia, Tennessee, Indianapolis, and Albany/Poughkeepsie. If anyone could help out would you mind sending us an e-mail at deadringernj[at]gmail.com? Thanks! Here's our tour route as it stands:

quote:

August 4th - 929 XPO, Brooklyn NY
August 6th - The Meatlocker, Montclair NJ
August 7th - The Marvelous Records , Philadelphia PA
August 8th - Charm City Art Space, Baltimore MD
August 9th - TBA Harrisonburg, VA
August 10th - TBA Greensboro, NC
August 11th - TBA Asheville NC
August 12th - Savannah GA (HELP!)
August 13th - TBA Orlando FL
August 14th - The Hold Tight House, Tampa FL
August 15th - 1982 Bar, Gainesville FL
August 16th - TBA Birmingham AL
August 17th - Nashville TN (HELP!)
August 18th - Black Sheep Cafe, Springfield IL
August 19th - Ames Progressive, Ames IA
August 20th - Dingus House, Minneapolis MN
August 21st - TBA, Chicago IL
August 22nd - Indianapolis IN (HELP!)
August 23rd - Trumbull Plex, Detroit MI
August 24th - Now That's Class Bar, Cleveland OH
August 25th - 222 Ormsby, Pittsburgh PA
August 26th - House Show Buffalo, NY
August 27th - Albany NY (HELP!)
August 28th - O'brien's Pub, Allston MA
August 29th - Pigeon Hole Gallery, New London CT

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

hedgecore posted:

I still need help booking a few more tour dates. I play in a female-fronted pop punk band called Dead Ringer. I'm looking for help in Georgia, Tennessee, Indianapolis, and Albany/Poughkeepsie. If anyone could help out would you mind sending us an e-mail at deadringernj[at]gmail.com? Thanks! Here's our tour route as it stands:

Can't help sorry, but post here when your record comes out TIA.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

hedgecore posted:

Can't help but I'll try and make your Detroit show.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

hedgecore posted:

there's a punch show in indy on that same date, at the only diy venue in town. you can try to get on that show, or you can play a bar show, or maybe reroute to bloomington?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

hedgecore posted:

Sadly I can't help, but I'll definitely be at the Baltimore show. You guys gonna have some sort of release (ep/single/whatever) out by then? I'd love to buy something.

GodlessCommie
Apr 4, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted a few pages back about helping me rediscover the punk I loved in my youth. Thank you all for you suggestions! My music library is now overflowing with underground punk.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
You guys all rule... thanks so much! I think Indianapolis is being re-routed to Grand Rapids, but not 100% on that. Yeah, our EP will be out next month (I'll be sure to post a streaming link as soon as it's ready). Keep the tips coming.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Is this where I post about how big my Big Kids / Joyce Manor boner is? It's huge.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

HATEPOSTING posted:

Is this where I post about how big my Big Kids / Joyce Manor boner is? It's huge.

Joyce Manor are playing with Ceremony in Baltimore in July. I'm excited as gently caress, I wish Joyce Manor were headlining.

e: and while I'm thinking about it, has anyone ever listened to Iceage? They're a band from Copenhagen who play what sounds to me like a mix of punk and post-punk, and it's pretty awesome.
examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0K3IOsIQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni079rsMZ80

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2011

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

Ben. Weasel. Is. A. Cock.

I love weasel too, and yeah, the new album was fairly mediocre, especially with the incident that followed it. Still, give fortune cookie a solid listen. It seems like a pretty solid song to me. I like to think danny vapid had a big part in it because it sounds like it.

I've gave fortune cookie quite a few listens, and it honestly sounds like a throw away track on some random SW ep. It's not bad, it's just not noteworthy. It's sucks that vapid couldn't help the shambles that is Ben Weasel, and actually be able to contribute to produce a decent album. I wish he had kept up with the methadones, because "Not Economically Viable" is easily in the top ten best pop punk albums ever.

And also, the last track pisses me off, because it's catchy as hell, and would be rad as gently caress if Ben actually had a point or just reason enough to be angry at the person the song is aimed at. It's just seems so smug and petty, and based on nothing but his arrogance, and ruins what would be an awesome call out song, if the person or persons involved actually deserved it. I miss mid 90's Ben, where he was just a lovable shithead.

Sharon is Karen fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 16, 2011

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
http://www.raein.eu/

New Raein album for free. Did they announce this at all?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NeilPerry posted:

http://www.raein.eu/

New Raein album for free. Did they announce this at all?

This is the first I'm hearing about. Sounds pretty sweet so far.

Also goddamn, 10 years.

Circlewave
Jan 29, 2007
my band just got our first batch of properly recorded songs back; love to get some internet feedback if you guys have the time. most of our songs barely crack 1:30, so it won't take long

http://soundcloud.com/seedheads/sets/youth-and-delinquency/

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Sharon is Karen posted:

I've gave fortune cookie quite a few listens, and it honestly sounds like a throw away track on some random SW ep. It's not bad, it's just not noteworthy. It's sucks that vapid couldn't help the shambles that is Ben Weasel, and actually be able to contribute to produce a decent album. I wish he had kept up with the methadones, because "Not Economically Viable" is easily in the top ten best pop punk albums ever.

You're god-drat right its one of the best pop punk albums ever. Methadones fans are the best. And the reason Fortune Cookie sounds like a throw-away is because its really not a SW song. It sounds more like a riverdales or 'dones song. A mediocre one, but still.

Also YES. Free Raein Album.

Circlewave posted:

my band just got our first batch of properly recorded songs back; love to get some internet feedback if you guys have the time. most of our songs barely crack 1:30, so it won't take long

http://soundcloud.com/seedheads/sets/youth-and-delinquency/

:toot:

Free Raein album and Seedheads finished recording their album? I liked your Demo a lotm still listen to it from time to time. It was nice. A criticism I have is that the drums aren't as raw as before. As I guess is to be expected. You Disgust me has some good drums though! Another criticism is that its a bit eclectic, the songs seem to jump around in style. Which isn't bad at all, I like a lot of the energy here. Also, am I right that you split I Wanna Be A Kingpin Punk Bitch into two songs? What was the reason for that? Anyways, I am excited for this. When can I get a copy :allears:

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
My band Machete has just released our new EP, "Judgement".

I have no idea what bands we sound like, so if you have any suggestions I can use in "for fans of" posts in the future, let me know! It's a mix of fast/beatdown/melodic kinda stuff..

We are based in Adelaide, South Australia and have been around for about 3 years now.

Facebook: http://listn.to/Machete
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?36g3s9gimdo69rr

It's free to download and we'd appreciate it very much if you could check it out, and if you enjoy it share it around :)

RhysD fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 24, 2011

Circlewave
Jan 29, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

You're god-drat right its one of the best pop punk albums ever. Methadones fans are the best. And the reason Fortune Cookie sounds like a throw-away is because its really not a SW song. It sounds more like a riverdales or 'dones song. A mediocre one, but still.

Also YES. Free Raein Album.

:toot:

Free Raein album and Seedheads finished recording their album? I liked your Demo a lotm still listen to it from time to time. It was nice. A criticism I have is that the drums aren't as raw as before. As I guess is to be expected. You Disgust me has some good drums though! Another criticism is that its a bit eclectic, the songs seem to jump around in style. Which isn't bad at all, I like a lot of the energy here. Also, am I right that you split I Wanna Be A Kingpin Punk Bitch into two songs? What was the reason for that? Anyways, I am excited for this. When can I get a copy :allears:

The whole band loses a bit of energy I think on these; we typically practice and play shows with everything up to 10, but working in the studio kind of forced us to moderate a bit. We can probably bring back a little of that with a creative remastering job - I'll be sure to post those up here when they're finished.

Kingpin/Punk Bitch was always two songs, but we always just segued them together. We had a lot of trouble recording Kingpin, so we decided to just split them up because we had very limited studio time and just wanted to get as much done as we could.

All the songs are available for free download on soundcloud. We're probably going to start shipping it around to labels soon; with a bit of luck, maybe we can get a song or two released - I'll definitely be letting everyone here know if that's the case

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone into calculator? I'm feeling them musically but not so much vocally in places.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Quantumfate posted:

How is TSOL live these days? I picked up a ticket to see em next sunday. Also it says no moshing! Whaaaat!

I'm seeing them tomorrow. I saw Jack Grisham open up for 7 Seconds about a year ago and he was pretty good. Also, tickets always say no moshing, but it's not like the bouncers gonna kick out the entire club, and I don't think TSOL subscribe to Ian McKaye's philosophy on the pit.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

I'm seeing them tomorrow. I saw Jack Grisham open up for 7 Seconds about a year ago and he was pretty good. Also, tickets always say no moshing, but it's not like the bouncers gonna kick out the entire club, and I don't think TSOL subscribe to Ian McKaye's philosophy on the pit.

Tomorrow will be a week from when I posted that. I'm going to the same show. TSOL at The Alley in victorian square, yeah?

Well I just caught the bus, if you see a dude towards the front of the show in a shirt with salish art on it and buttons on their pants, its probably me. Say hi.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 20, 2011

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Anyone going to Midwest Mohawk Fest 2 in St. Paul this coming weekend? My band The Hex Bombs will be playing as well as a ton of others.

FB event
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=171412669566592

shameless self promotion
http://thehexbombs.bandcamp.com/releases

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Here is a Public Service Announcement: the new Raein and Capsule records own bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dear Middle East in Cambridge,
When you don't put up a barricade and have the Bouncing Souls play, people are going to stage dive and crowd surf. Having security grab these people down from the air and drag them out and kick them out is bullshit. You didn't even have signs posted saying crowd surfing would result in a boot. gently caress you.