Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Speaking of Space Hulk, has anyone here played the remake they did? It was 3DO/PC and had a bunch of fancy (for the time) pre-rendered sprites.

Honestly, I don't know if it has more or less charm than the original's hand-drawn sprites because I never got to play more than the demo on a 3DO disc. That was a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Just by the way, Starflight II is so good. SO GOOD. It's like a precursor to Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters. Amazing game. Definitely would make a brilliant addition to the GOG lineup.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Andrigaar posted:

Speaking of Space Hulk, has anyone here played the remake they did? It was 3DO/PC and had a bunch of fancy (for the time) pre-rendered sprites.

Honestly, I don't know if it has more or less charm than the original's hand-drawn sprites because I never got to play more than the demo on a 3DO disc. That was a while ago.

I don't remember too much of the original Space Hulk, but you should check out Alien Assault if you want something very, almost suspiciously, similar.

The game is either balls hard or I suck at Space Hulk, though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

thepopstalinist posted:

Man I would pay so much money for Theme Hospital

Make it happen GOG

I barely ever played Theme Hospital for some reason, but the little of it I saw was fantastic. It's probably one of the top 5 games I want to see on gog.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Rirse posted:

Is there any way to slow down the mouse speed in Dungeon Keeper. It moves too fast for me, and since the camera follows your mouse, it makes playing it difficult.
Check the DOSbox config file for the "sensitivity" setting, and lower the number.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also, can I remap the controls in Crusader. I want to remap it to WASD instead of the arrow keys, but not seeing any options to do so. If that fails, is there any program that temporary changes what keys function are, ala Xpadder.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Rirse posted:

Also, can I remap the controls in Crusader. I want to remap it to WASD instead of the arrow keys, but not seeing any options to do so. If that fails, is there any program that temporary changes what keys function are, ala Xpadder.
Pressing Ctrl + F1 in DosBox will allow you to rebind keys.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rirse posted:

Is there any way to slow down the mouse speed in Dungeon Keeper. It moves too fast for me, and since the camera follows your mouse, it makes playing it difficult.

DOSBox.conf, mouse speed setting.

Rirse posted:

I think it's Ctrl-F1 to change keyboard settings in DOSBox.

How does Crusader translate to gamepad play? (If indeed, it does at all.)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 9, 2011

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't remember too much of the original Space Hulk, but you should check out Alien Assault if you want something very, almost suspiciously, similar.

The game is either balls hard or I suck at Space Hulk, though.

Ball hard probably. I got a copy of Space Hulk back when EA had their awesome EA Classics series (only way I learned of Syndicate, System Shock 1, and Noctropolis) and... well I'll describe the first mission

-You have like a 6 Space Marines squad
-You move them a few squares at a time in first person via a grid of arrows
-A few turns in to the dark corridor you find a gene stealer
-Unit dies
-You move another unit in place to fire
-Unit dies
-You move another unit to fire
-Unit dies
-Unit dies
-you uninstall Space Hulk wondering why you're so bad at video games

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

doctorfrog posted:

How does Crusader translate to gamepad play? (If indeed, it does at all.)

I played the PSX version way back in the day, and while the sound, music, graphics, violence, and intermission levels were all butchered, I do remember that the controls weren't awful. Or at least weren't as awful as the rest of it. :v:

As long as we're in DOSBox Support Chat, one question that's bugged me for ages - is it possible to get smooth throttling? I'm aware of the ctrl+F11 combo, but every time I've tried it, I get very choppy throttling - like four seconds of throttled speed, then one second of full speed. Is there some .conf setting I should be looking at?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harmonica posted:

Judge for yourself. Unfiltered via DOSBox.

Normal mode with reflections (320x200)

Hi-res with reflections (640x480)

So yes, it has pixels, but if that puts you off playing old games.. well, okay, good luck with that. It plays like a dream.

Also contrary to what I said earlier in the thread, it actually does seem to run okay at about 60000 cycles, in hi-res mode, with reflections on. The sound seems stable with very rare skips.

Running the disc version via DOSBox, there does seem to be some crash bugs if you hit too many keys in succession (the map screen is particularly dodgy), particularly if you hit a number key which hasn't been assigned to a spell, the game will crash out. I can't remember if this was always a bug with the game.

Since you have Magic Carpet up and running, do you know how it plays with a gamepad, specifically an xbox one? I have Magic Carpet 2, and have been thinking about trying it out, but I suck at doing anything beyond the most basic stuff with DOSbox, but if it's as awesome as I think it will be, I might try again.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

As long as we're in DOSBox Support Chat, one question that's bugged me for ages - is it possible to get smooth throttling? I'm aware of the ctrl+F11 combo, but every time I've tried it, I get very choppy throttling - like four seconds of throttled speed, then one second of full speed. Is there some .conf setting I should be looking at?

Which game, or all of them? I usually have pretty steady DOSBox performance, and I have a 2008 budget box. I haven't had many issues with DOSBox being choppy, but when I do, I almost never have to mess with CPU cycles, DOSBox is a lot better at handling this automatically these days in my experience. You can:

- run the game full screen instead of in a window
- change the renderer (output=opengl, surface, etc. IIRC, surface will do all video rendering through your CPU, which can sometimes be an improvement)
- disable any kind of scaling (use none instead of normal2x, etc.)
- lower the sound quality (44mhz to 22mhz)
- experiment with the [cpu] section (core=auto, cycles=auto, etc.)
- visit dosbox.com and view the entry for the given game
- kill off any other processes that might be using CPU or GPU, or modifying GPU output (disable vsync, for instance)

The GOG defaults are usually a good starting place.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

GrandpaPants posted:

It actually was a Space Hulk game at first, until Games Workshop handed out a cease and desist order.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog's Spiffy SMAC Unity Pod
because there ain't no damned extras with the game

When I finally got around to playing SMAC in 2005, I was obsessed with it for around two months. I trawled through a few online forums trying to beef up the basic game, which was by then already quite old and dusty (I had no expansion pack, it was virtually unobtainable at the time) and gathered mods and scenarios I would never play. This archive includes:

- strategy guides from Gamespot and old SMAC forum user Vel
- printable tech trees
- some maps and scenarios created by the community
- the "SMANIAC" mod, which does some things that I have no idea, but includes custom factions and altered AI scripting and stuff
- alternative textures for the map, to tone down the bright pinks and greens a bit and make the game more attractive
- some patches and stuff that you probably don't need
- community-suggested settings for alpha.txt:
- which includes worldbuilder settings that create maps the AI can handle better
- a way to disable resource crawlers, which are major gamechanger, and stuff that the AI doesn't know how to use at all
- a few better units for the AI to create so they're more of a challenge

Get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?e7dtn8j6mka5i

Get just the worldbuilder settings and other texty info here: http://pastebin.com/QJLwDpZR

To the best of my knowledge or giving a crap, all of this stuff should be freely distributable. I bear no responsibility for anything dumb that happens if you use anything in it. Enjoy!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2011

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Which game, or all of them? I usually have pretty steady DOSBox performance, and I have a 2008 budget box. I haven't had many issues with DOSBox being choppy, but when I do, I almost never have to mess with CPU cycles, DOSBox is a lot better at handling this automatically these days in my experience. You can:
The two games that I noticed it the worst on were Theme Park and Syndicate Wars (my original boxed copies from the 1990s). The games I've downloaded from GOG are generally fine, though I agree that Dungeon Keeper is a bit finicky.

Maybe I should clarify - when I say it's "choppy", what I mean is that at default DOSBox rates, the games run too fast (trust me, Theme Park was not designed with gigahertz CPUs in mind). Slowing things down with ctrl+F11 would be decent, except every four seconds or so, it's as if DOSBox "forgets" to slow things down, and for a brief instant things are unthrottled.

Back in the Win95 days I remember using MoSlo (I think it came with the CD-ROM version of Ultima VII and a few PC Gamer CD-ROMs), which worked pretty smoothly for these things - so it doesn't seem like smooth throttling is a computational impossibility.

All the performance tips you listed seem to be geared towards making things run faster, which - unless I'm mistaken - won't really help my situation, it'll just make the constant transition between cycle-throttled and un-throttled even more jarring.

Oh, and back to Crusader: No Remorse land - it's disappointing that the GOG version doesn't come with a soundtrack (of all the games to not have a downloadable soundtrack for!), nor does it come with the "bonus pamphlets" of the original boxed version (an "underground resistance manual" and an official WEC pamphlet defaced with resistance notations).

As for whether or not it can be done on a gamepad - turns out the PSX version did alter things a bit; on the PC version you can basically do 90-95% of the stuff you need on a PS2 or 360 controller (as long as you don't mind using thumbstick buttons), but you'll probably want to keep the keyboard handy for entering keypad codes, unless you have a way to bind the right analog to act as a mouse.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe I should clarify - when I say it's "choppy", what I mean is that at default DOSBox rates, the games run too fast (trust me, Theme Park was not designed with gigahertz CPUs in mind). Slowing things down with ctrl+F11 would be decent, except every four seconds or so, it's as if DOSBox "forgets" to slow things down, and for a brief instant things are unthrottled.

This is something I haven't really encountered. However, one thing popped out at me while looking through the DK .conf file: cputype=486_slow. That kinda sounds like an option that throttles things down a bit.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU

quote:

On the PC version you can basically do 90-95% of the stuff you need on a PS2 or 360 controller

This is potentially very good news.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Oh, and back to Crusader: No Remorse land - it's disappointing that the GOG version doesn't come with a soundtrack (of all the games to not have a downloadable soundtrack for!), nor does it come with the "bonus pamphlets" of the original boxed version (an "underground resistance manual" and an official WEC pamphlet defaced with resistance notations).

Cant help with the soundtrack but there was an LP here awhile ago with the documents posted.

Resistance Manual

WEC manual with annotations

WEC newsletter

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
So is SMAC not worth getting without the expansion pack or what?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'd love to find a setup that'd make Crusader decently playable on a 360 pad. Even the keyboard controls are incredibly finnicky and cumbersome. Which is a shame because it looks awesome...

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Adam Bowen posted:

I barely ever played Theme Hospital for some reason, but the little of it I saw was fantastic. It's probably one of the top 5 games I want to see on gog.

If you want to revisit it without GoG, there are loads of youtube videos and online tutorials that take you through how to get the disc version working on windows :)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Thompsons posted:

Yes. Absolutely. I say this because I actually haven't played the expansion pack, but it's still in my top 10 favorite all-time games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'd love to find a setup that'd make Crusader decently playable on a 360 pad. Even the keyboard controls are incredibly finnicky and cumbersome. Which is a shame because it looks awesome...

I will probably try Xpadder later. I did get WASD setup, but it still a bit clunky due to the mouse also controlling your computer.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rirse posted:

I will probably try Xpadder later. I did get WASD setup, but it still a bit clunky due to the mouse also controlling your computer.

Oh man, if you get any such thing to work I'd be incredibly grateful if you'd share it. :)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Lurchibles posted:

If you want to revisit it without GoG, there are loads of youtube videos and online tutorials that take you through how to get the disc version working on windows :)
Do they tell you to do anything else besides installing the DOS version and running it in DOSbox? Because that's all I need to get it working on my Vista PC.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Lurchibles posted:

FWIW it runs fine for me without doing anything special for me on Windows 7 64-bit. I've been using Corsix-TH which fixes bugs, makes it look prettier and causes more bugs but it's still entirely playable with it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Everyone complaining that SMAC and DK don't have expansions (even though past experience points to those expansions being made available later) are basically complaining that their caviar is being served on animal crackers.

These were considered the finest PC Games of their time before the expansion packs, and they're still drat good as it is.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

SpRahl posted:

Cant help with the soundtrack but there was an LP here awhile ago with the documents posted.

Resistance Manual

WEC manual with annotations

WEC newsletter

Awesome! This'll save me the trouble of digging up my old copies.

I remember there being a utility somewhere to convert the MOD files to MP3, I'll have to do some digging.

doctorfrog posted:

This is something I haven't really encountered. However, one thing popped out at me while looking through the DK .conf file: cputype=486_slow. That kinda sounds like an option that throttles things down a bit.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Configuration:CPU
:waycool:, it actually works!!

(cputype = 486_fast and cycles=40000 does Syndicate Wars quite nicely)

doctorfrog posted:

This is potentially very good news.

You'll need joy2key or a viable alternative, but yeah. It may help to play a bit with the keyboard, just so you can get the hang of the layout and figure out which buttons you don't need (for instance, you can either bind a set of triggers to Delete / Page Down (roll-left / roll-right), or just bind one to Ctrl, and hold that trigger to enter roll mode, which will free up the other trigger to use as auto-medpack.

Disappointed Owl posted:

My advice (forgive me for using PS2 button layout):

Control pad = arrow keys

Square = Space (fire)
X = Shift (hold to run)
Triangle = O (cycle items)
O = U (use item)
Select = W (cycle weapon)
L1 = S ("search")
R1 = Enter ("get/use")
L2 = M (use medipak)
R2 = Ctrl (hold to roll / duck / jump)
L3 = B (detonate bombs)
R3 = Z (recenter camera)

Going from memory here, here's what you won't be able to do with the gamepad using this layout:

1) Drop weapons (Ctrl+D).
2) Enter numbers on in-game keypads (unless you can use the right analog as a mouse pointer).
3) Quicksave / Quickload (F5/F4, respectively)
4) Quick-use batteries ("E" - you can still use them by hitting Triangle and O)
5) Exit certain cutscenes, namely when you're controlling robots - you'll need to press Esc on the keyboard.
6) Trade with Weasel during the intermission scenes.
7) Auto-get all items ("G" on the keyboard).

Chances are you won't be doing any of these things in time-critical situations.

It's not perfect, but it's doable.

You could also bind right analog to cycle weapons and items, which would free up a couple buttons for some of the "missing" functions.

Personally, I do prefer the (slightly cumbersome) keyboard controls - maybe two years of playing this game back in the day broke me in? :v:

uncle wrinkles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 9, 2011

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out already but SMAC is available with Alien Crossfire included for $7 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Alpha-Centauri-Complete/dp/B001RIYNF2/

Given that, is there any reason at all to buy it on GOG? Are there compatibility issues that they improve?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I forgot how soul-crushingly hard Capitalism Plus is! The AI is really good and will stomp all over the player from the start if you don't cripple the computer companies with the game set-up. By default the player starts with $10 million in cash and AI companies start with $250 million in cash :suicide:

Death to AI corporations :argh:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:waycool:, it actually works!!

(cputype = 486_fast and cycles=40000 does Syndicate Wars quite nicely)
Have you tried just using the "auto" settings for CPU, core, and cycles before? The latest DOSbox versions will automatically default to max and dynamic settings if you try to run a comparatively demanding game such as SW. I use such a configuration myself, and it runs the game very very well indeed in SVGA.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Mr. Met posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out already but SMAC is available with Alien Crossfire included for $7 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Alpha-Centauri-Complete/dp/B001RIYNF2/

Given that, is there any reason at all to buy it on GOG? Are there compatibility issues that they improve?

You'd still have to pay for shipping (which bumps up the price to twice) and wait for it to arrive.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
I guess I'll wait to see if Alien Crossfire actually drops on GOG. If not, it seems the expansion is well worth the $6 difference in price or whatever it comes out to. I really do hope they get it, I much prefer owning the game knowing that I can always re-download it if something happens to the physical media.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Have you tried just using the "auto" settings for CPU, core, and cycles before? The latest DOSbox versions will automatically default to max and dynamic settings if you try to run a comparatively demanding game such as SW. I use such a configuration myself, and it runs the game very very well indeed in SVGA.

I've tried auto before, but it makes the game too fast - mouse scrolling is ridiculously finicky, agents can cross the map in the span of a few seconds, and bombs tend to go off before I can find a place the agent(s) can run away to without getting hung up on pathing.

Maybe part of it is because I first played the game on an ancient 60MHz Pentium and kinda got used to the rather... languid pacing therein?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr. Met posted:

I guess I'll wait to see if Alien Crossfire actually drops on GOG. If not, it seems the expansion is well worth the $6 difference in price or whatever it comes out to. I really do hope they get it, I much prefer owning the game knowing that I can always re-download it if something happens to the physical media.

GOG has yet to put up a product that requires another product, ie. an expansion that requires the installation of a base package. They may be bargaining for either a standalone SMAX or a future upgrade for existing SMAC users that includes SMAX. They may violate precedent and offer their first item that requires a base game. Either way, I hope they're fighting the good fight.

Honestly though, if you can't wait, the SoldOut SMAX should run just as dandily as the GOG version, with a minor tweak or two. Just know that you're probably going to buy it a second time on GOG anyway just to see it on your bookshelf. :snoop:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've tried auto before, but it makes the game too fast - mouse scrolling is ridiculously finicky, agents can cross the map in the span of a few seconds, and bombs tend to go off before I can find a place the agent(s) can run away to without getting hung up on pathing.

Maybe part of it is because I first played the game on an ancient 60MHz Pentium and kinda got used to the rather... languid pacing therein?
Ah! Now I see. I actually remember now - I had that problem as well, but discovered that pressing the minus key on the keyboard repeatedly will actually slow the whole thing down. Do it often enough, and it'll run at a playable speed. :)

OR you can go here and download an excellent Windows-compatible port, so you won't even have to bother with DOSbox!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... will SM: Gettysburg come up on GoG as well? That would be ball breakingly excellent.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is Crusader: No Remorse turn-based? I suck at old-time real-time action games and have reflexes of a 90-year old.

If it's anything like Jagged Alliance 2's turn based gameplay I'm sold.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

Is Crusader: No Remorse turn-based? I suck at old-time real-time action games and have reflexes of a 90-year old.

If it's anything like Jagged Alliance 2's turn based gameplay I'm sold.

No, it's an action game.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Thompsons posted:

The new crossfire factions were kind of meh though. (sorta) Space pirates, hackers and aliens? Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Mr. Met posted:

If Gog is able to get the rights to the expansion, they will add it on to the base game for free, that's how they work. The game itself doesn't require the expansion to be fun, it's still awesome as is, so may as well get it now, and by the time you are done with it, Gog will/may have gotten the expansion and then you'll have some more fun with the game.