Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

cuppy tea posted:

Stewart Lee just made me laugh harder than I've ever laughed before.

I know someone out there, somewhere, vomited at the end bit.

That last sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen from him, and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Zorba the Greek posted:

I don't know if anyone here watches Waterloo Road but oh my loving God today was gut wrenching stuff.

What happened? Last time I watched waterloo road I saw the fat kid from Grange Hill who tried to commit suicide by jumping face first into a pool was on it, that kid is doomed to play schoolchildren forever

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What happened? Last time I watched waterloo road I saw the fat kid from Grange Hill who tried to commit suicide by jumping face first into a pool was on it, that kid is doomed to play schoolchildren forever

A long-serving teenage character died in her sleep of terminal cancer in her mum's arms. :smith:

I've been disappointed with the last couple of series', but that episode was pretty good.

It does just serve to reinforce the unspoken law that anyone Tom gets close to dies or is seriously injured and subsequently disappears.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Bland posted:

That last sketch was one of the funniest things I've seen from him, and that's saying something.

He's really good, can't help thinking he's been a bit nicer and less acerbic overall on TV though. Even if it was mostly the same standup stuff he'd done a bit of before.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

eating only apples posted:

A long-serving teenage character died in her sleep of terminal cancer in her mum's arms. :smith:

I've been disappointed with the last couple of series', but that episode was pretty good.

It does just serve to reinforce the unspoken law that anyone Tom gets close to dies or is seriously injured and subsequently disappears.

Seriously. I knew she was going to die in this episode but that was so bloody heart breaking I started crying :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zorba the Greek posted:

Seriously. I knew she was going to die in this episode but that was so bloody heart breaking I started crying :(

I cried a bit too, very sad episode.

Hey guys, Born to be Different is back today - channel 4, 9PM. Definitely worth a watch. Those kids are amazing :unsmith:

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

eating only apples posted:

I cried a bit too, very sad episode.

Hey guys, Born to be Different is back today - channel 4, 9PM. Definitely worth a watch. Those kids are amazing :unsmith:

Do I watch this or the Prince Phillip interview! :ohdear:

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Zorba the Greek posted:

Do I watch this or the Prince Phillip interview! :ohdear:
Prince Phillip then 4+1! :science:

Edit: Man, Phillip sure isn't putting up with any of Fiona Bruce's poo poo.

Jawidar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 9, 2011

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jawidar posted:

Prince Phillip then 4+1! :science:

He is awesome. Gyles Brandreth, however is not. I ssume HRH is just going to be answering questions with ' It just is, you gormless cow, stop second guessing everything'

When she asked why he was doing the interview you know he was itching to say ' The missus made me'

e: music from the Sims? :psyduck:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jawidar posted:

No poo poo. This is hilarious.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

" Bunny hugger"
" What does that mean?"
:stare: " Can't you imagine?"

Top hole, old boy.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
He is such a don. I love Prince Phillip so much more now. He seems like such a lovely guy but a little outspoke haha.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I doubt Fiona Bruce will want that on her CV. I'm no royalist, I just love ornery bastards who don't give a gently caress.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Why you guys arent watching Shadow Line is beyond me, because it loving Owns.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Seeing this news report on BBC1 talking about the voyager space probe exiting the solar system or whatever is making me long for the day when the main news will be full of this stuff instead of the usual hyperinflated bollocks they talk about.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
Where was this Philip interview? Sounds hilarious.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Where was this Philip interview? Sounds hilarious.

BBC1 at 9, I'm sure you can iPlayer it!

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Well, it was great to see "Mock the Week" back on :) Just a shame that Russell Howard and Frankie Boyle have moved on... :(

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Wow, QT surpassed the oval office quotient this week. Greer accusing a father of being a pedo. Awesome.

e: And as no surprise to anyone, Peter Hitchin needs to be taken into a dark alleyway with a broken glass dildo and taught the error of his ways

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 9, 2011

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Lady Galaga posted:

Too right, though I have just noticed that Glickman and Gatehouse have the exact same voice.

E: Well guess that's not a problem anymore.

And it's really bugging me that everyone keeps saying 'cop'. Top show though.

a shitty king fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 10, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Wow, QT surpassed the oval office quotient this week. Greer accusing a father of being a pedo. Awesome.

For any particular reason? Or is she just doing that things she does of setting her causes back by years by providing a conveniently easy-to-hate figure for the opposition to point at and dismiss?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lurchibles posted:

Well, it was great to see "Mock the Week" back on :) Just a shame that Russell Howard and Frankie Boyle have moved on... :(

They're both massive one trick ponies though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lady Galaga posted:

This, a thousand times this. It really does get better as it goes along too, Episodes 5 and 6 have been truly brilliant.

I said earlier in thread that it could be, but now I'm officially calling it - best BBC thriller since State of Play. (barring a massively poo poo climax of course)

Pennington
Nov 8, 2010

I deduce that this caterpillar is indeed very hungry.
Does anyone remember a show called Crisis Command?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_Command

I don't think it ever got released on DVD and I'm finding it impossible to find any episodes now. We only had BBC2 at the time, but they ran the same scenario again with different participants and showed that episode on BBC4. Bet they still destroyed the north every alternate episode still.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

For any particular reason? Or is she just doing that things she does of setting her causes back by years by providing a conveniently easy-to-hate figure for the opposition to point at and dismiss?

Oh saying heartwarming things like all soldiers at some point are capable of rape ( technically correct, but not too wise to say) and on the current hot button about sexualizing kids, claiming little girls are being trained to seduce their fathers, and when a man with children politely demmured she rolled her eyes and said "oh well, there many ways to sit on a fathers lap and kiss him". No mention of the sexualising of little boys in their tight, tight shorts and delightfully muddy hands.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Taear posted:

They're both massive one trick ponies though.

Agreed. Now if we can just get rid of the bald fella, Dara, and the overall format of the show, the world would be a better place :allears:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you got rid of the bald one and Dara and changed the format of the show isn't that just Have I Got news For You?

Shadow Line was really good. The second act was pretty intense, going to be interesting to see how it finishes next week. Anyone know if this is going to have another series or is it just a one off?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Oh saying heartwarming things like all soldiers at some point are capable of rape ( technically correct, but not too wise to say) and on the current hot button about sexualizing kids, claiming little girls are being trained to seduce their fathers, and when a man with children politely demmured she rolled her eyes and said "oh well, there many ways to sit on a fathers lap and kiss him". No mention of the sexualising of little boys in their tight, tight shorts and delightfully muddy hands.

Hmm, so a childless man-hater doesn't believe that men can interact with their daughters in a way that is non-sexual. Colour me surprised.

Greer is a horrible cartoon feminist. If you have ever heard someone say "well I believe in equality, but I'm not a feminist...", she is what they're thinking about.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 10, 2011

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

ChuckDHead posted:

Hmm, so a childless man-hater doesn't believe that men can interact with their daughters in a way that is non-sexual. Colour me surprised.

Greer is a horrible cartoon feminist. If you have ever heard someone say "well I believe in equality, but I'm not a feminist...", she is what they're thinking about.

I don't think she meant it like that. I can see what she is saying but she said it in a very, very bad way and she didn't make herself very coherent when describing what she meant.

Also, yeah this QT was just full of bollocks.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Pennington posted:

Does anyone remember a show called Crisis Command?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_Command

I don't think it ever got released on DVD and I'm finding it impossible to find any episodes now. We only had BBC2 at the time, but they ran the same scenario again with different participants and showed that episode on BBC4. Bet they still destroyed the north every alternate episode still.

I doubt you'll see it again because I remember one of the scenarios being a London terrorist bombing. The contestants had to make pretty scary decisions like whether to shoot down an unresponsive aircraft and when the tube lines started flooding they had to choose whether to try and save the people in the flooded lines or close the emergency doors to save the rest of the network.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

I don't think she meant it like that. I can see what she is saying but she said it in a very, very bad way and she didn't make herself very coherent when describing what she meant.

Also, yeah this QT was just full of bollocks.

I dunno. Rolling her eyes and sneering 'Oh please' when the man tried to say he didn't want to gently caress his daughters frankly shocked me. But, lets face it, she always has thought of herself above and beyond anyone elses opinion and doesn't realise she is basically a panto dame at this point. This is not hating on true progressive feminism, just on the Millie Tant types. Trotting out the rape accusation against soldier was just lame ( also she would do well to remember we have soldiers of both sexes). Sorry for ranting, but it annoys me when people use vitally important issues as a shtick.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Lurchibles posted:

I've really come to hate Mock the Week, I just find it incredibly unfunny now. I haven't watched an episode for a year or more maybe.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Trickjaw posted:

I dunno. Rolling her eyes and sneering 'Oh please' when the man tried to say he didn't want to gently caress his daughters frankly shocked me.

This isn't D&D and I don't want to go on about it, but I got into an argument about this after it happened.
When she said that daughters act flirtatiously with their fathers, by which I mean not wanting to gently caress them but acting shy and diminutive (as demonstrated by the look-back-over-the-shoulder-giggle gesture germain did) in front of an influential male role model in her life that she is comfortable with, germain sees that behaviour as some sort of indoctrination into a society where women play a "weaker" role and men the "stronger" role, so when the father interprets it as act of cuteness (not in a sexual way, just ahww thats cute way) and responds as such (with a hug or kiss or whatever) she suggests it re-enforces the childs behaviour to act flirtatiously with all men, because she got a positive response to it and that, in her eyes, is a bad thing.

The father who then said his daughters do it because they love him and has nothing to do with sex is obviously correct but he's missing the point, so when Germain rolled her eyes she's thinking "you don't understand that your daughter is learning a way to interact with men that makes her 'weaker' and you are re-enforcing this wrong behaviour." and also "I didn't suggest she wants to gently caress you, nor you her, moron and if that's what you think then how can I possible talk about this with you".

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Metrication posted:

I've really come to hate Mock the Week, I just find it incredibly unfunny now. I haven't watched an episode for a year or more maybe.

Snap, but I'll be hitting up the iPlayer for this week's episode when I get home from work because Greg Davies was on it.

For the record: I think Greg Davies is wonderful and terrific and hilarious and his stand-up show transcended being the best stand-up show I've ever seen and is straight-up one of the best stage shows I have ever seen.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

justcola posted:

Shadow Line was really good. The second act was pretty intense, going to be interesting to see how it finishes next week. Anyone know if this is going to have another series or is it just a one off?

I dont really see how it will get another series, it looks to me like theyre rounding everything off

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lady Galaga posted:

I dont really see how it will get another series, it looks to me like theyre rounding everything off

Gatehouse deserves a spinoff - you could even do a prequel of sorts with Gatehouse and Glickman in the 80s buddying around the world. Sadly I think the viewing figures have been disappointing for the show, so it's unlikely they'd develop it further considering I suspect it's quite expensive to shoot by BBC standards.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Metrication posted:

I feel the same. It's became too repetitive and the fact so much of it is scripted makes it less funny.

It's still fresher than HIGNFY, though. I think most people should reach a point when they get sick of every episode devoting 5 minutes to the smug grin on Ian Hislop's face as he boasts "Heh, aren't I ignorant of football, pop music and black culture :smug:"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Christ I absolutely hate it when Hislop says something he thinks is hilarious then turns towards the audience and blinks like a loving lunatic. Paul Merton seems to have almost given up now as well, it doesn't seem like he wants to put any effort in.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

DaWolfey posted:

This isn't D&D and I don't want to go on about it, but I got into an argument about this after it happened.
When she said that daughters act flirtatiously with their fathers, by which I mean not wanting to gently caress them but acting shy and diminutive (as demonstrated by the look-back-over-the-shoulder-giggle gesture germain did) in front of an influential male role model in her life that she is comfortable with, germain sees that behaviour as some sort of indoctrination into a society where women play a "weaker" role and men the "stronger" role, so when the father interprets it as act of cuteness (not in a sexual way, just ahww thats cute way) and responds as such (with a hug or kiss or whatever) she suggests it re-enforces the childs behaviour to act flirtatiously with all men, because she got a positive response to it and that, in her eyes, is a bad thing.

The father who then said his daughters do it because they love him and has nothing to do with sex is obviously correct but he's missing the point, so when Germain rolled her eyes she's thinking "you don't understand that your daughter is learning a way to interact with men that makes her 'weaker' and you are re-enforcing this wrong behaviour." and also "I didn't suggest she wants to gently caress you, nor you her, moron and if that's what you think then how can I possible talk about this with you".

You are totally right, this is not the place. Agree to disagree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Trickjaw posted:

You are totally right, this is not the place. Agree to disagree?

Well, he is right. But yeah. Let's end the derail.

I have to agree with some of you guys man, Mock the Week is so bloody poo poo now. Andy Parsons has actually got worse if that's even possible.