Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Puttblug posted:

I'm hosting my first BBQ at my new apartment on Sunday. What kind of music can I play that's not Creedence Clearwater, Bruce Springsteen, and Eric Clapton. Their will be a good mix of young and old. I mostly listen to metal so I'm a bit lost as to what to play.

Whenever I have people over to our place I like to put on some funk, like Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone, Kleeer. It's catchy enough that the young people will probably like it, and the older of the bunch might already be quite familiar with them. I'll always start with the song "Flash Light", by Parliament, if people don't start involuntarily bobbing their heads along with the beat, then there is something wrong (this hasn't happened yet).

Alternatively, you can't really go wrong with greatest hits collections of well known artists like David Bowie, the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Bill Withers, The Beatles, that kind of thing. Everyone should be familiar with them, and inoffensive enough that no one can really take any issue with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

signalnoise posted:

I am interested in funk that is heavy on tricky bass like the Glide by Pleasure.

On top of that specific request, I'd like a list of really good funk bands I might not find if I google "funk bands," particularly any that have a heavy focus on future/space themes.

i'm a big fan of Keb Darge's compilations (Kings of Funk, Legendary Deep Funk, Funk Spectrum, etc), although i can only think of one space-type song off the top of my head. however, if you want some truly corny/awesome spacy funk, i suggest you check this out. actually, it's also not straight-up funk, but if you've got 20 a few minutes, listen to the Last Poets' "Beyonder," which is an epic sci-fi/spoken word/funk/apocalypse mashup.

as for that Pleasure song, the bass reminded me of Lakeside's "Shot of Love"

Puttblug, i fully support screaden's suggestion. it is the rare person who truly hates funk music and even the whitest whiteboy can't help grooving on it to some extent (see: the earlier part of my post. in fact, you should download some Keb Darge compilations, too, and also some James Brown albums)

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I'm looking for a band similar to Handshakes and Highfives, I saw them a while back and they absolutely killed it, and I have been trying to find other bands like them..

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

the Bunt posted:

I'm looking for composers like Arvo Part. I am really in love with his Tabula Rasa and Fratres pieces and would like any music that sounds like that. I am familiar with Philip Glass and Steve Reich already.

Check out William Basinski's Melancholia.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a term for the sub-genre of rap where everyone shouts as loud as possible into the microphone like "Slam" by Onyx?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
More music like Nick Drake. Anything, really, but the sparser the better. :)

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

John Martyn
The Incredible String Band
Fairport Convention
Pentangle
Vashti Bunyan
Linda Perhacs

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Mississippi John Hurt, because that's pretty much who taught him to play. Blind Lemon, Robert Johnson, hell, pretty much any of their contemporaries were favorites of Drake's, so there's a bunch of music there, although the vocals are um, slightly different.

Elliott Smith, in his quieter moments, is pretty Drake-like, and Neil Halstead and Belle and Sebastian also channel him pretty effectively at times. While they don't really sound like Drake, Leonard Cohen, Nina Nastasia, and Smog (Red Apple Falls) all do the sparse/dark/acoustic thing really well.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

I'm trying to get into jazz. At the moment I have albums by Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

What other artists should I look into?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jadz posted:

Some of that is pretty drat epic. I'll add 'em to my general metal playlist, thanks :D

Check out Red Sparowes. They're more straight-up post-rock than post-metal(?) but they have a lot of guitars and get pretty heavy from time to time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

YYZ posted:

I'm trying to get into jazz. At the moment I have albums by Charles Mingus, Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

What other artists should I look into?

Just follow up on who plays on your favourites' LPs. In this case, for example, give Eric Dolphy, Cannonball Adderley, McCoy Tyner and Bill Evans a listen. Depending on your preferred era for Trane and Davis, obvsly.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I'm looking for some artists who perform with pretty much only piano and voice, with a little classical tinge. Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright are similar to what I'm looking for, but waaaay stripped back to just the piano. Preferably with a darker, more melancholy tone.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

screaden posted:

I'm looking for some artists who perform with pretty much only piano and voice, with a little classical tinge. Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright are similar to what I'm looking for, but waaaay stripped back to just the piano. Preferably with a darker, more melancholy tone.

Antony and the Johnsons, though his voice needs getting used to - Hope there's someone. You also should definitely check out Soap&Skin - Thanatos. Besides that I can only think of perhaps Diana Krall (although it might be to jazzy).

-

A request: I truly enjoy The Books, where their music is rather coherent and not too "artistic" (think rather "Take Time", "Free Translator" than "Venice" or "That Right Ain't poo poo"). Of anything similar I know: l'Homme Puma (only a couple of songs sound like them though - and it's post-rock / screamo / wtf ;/), Animal Collective, Panda Bear (though their music is too lively, or fast for my taste), also Octopus Project, (which, apart from one song, sound definitely different, though is listed as one of the closest matches on last.fm).

So - I'm looking for slow music with a load of samples.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Alright I need some help.

I work in the mines in Australia, mainly with 20 to 50 year olds, and we have a mix tape competition to pass the time while drinking and gambling after work.

There are three prizes Gold (three cartons of beer) where nobody wants to skip to the next song, Silver (two cartons of beer) where you listen to the entirety of at least 6 out of the 9 songs and Bronze where you get a toilet roll for your audio talents.

Rules are 9 songs, only use an artist once. Rocks mainly what I know and the crowd knows. I'm aiming for silver. This is what I've got so far:

The Eagles - Hotel California
Golden Earring - Radar Love
Tom Petty - Running down a dream
The Angels - Am I ever gonna see you face again
Jimmy Barnes - Working class man
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Boston - More than a feeling
ACDC - Its a long way to the top
Jimmy Hendrix - All along the watchtower

Basically I've been thinking about this on and off for a week before I head out again, and I'd like your help to make it as strong as possible. I've also got the problem that someone else is more than likely to pick the same songs, so any suggestions from a different angle would be appreciated!

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I'm getting heavily into indie rock lately and I would very much like to find more bands that are like the following (ranked starting with most preferred): Menomena, Dirty Projectors, the Shins, Local Natives, Portugal. The Man, and Trail of Dead.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

BCR posted:

Alright I need some help.

I work in the mines in Australia, mainly with 20 to 50 year olds, and we have a mix tape competition to pass the time while drinking and gambling after work.

There are three prizes Gold (three cartons of beer) where nobody wants to skip to the next song, Silver (two cartons of beer) where you listen to the entirety of at least 6 out of the 9 songs and Bronze where you get a toilet roll for your audio talents.

Rules are 9 songs, only use an artist once. Rocks mainly what I know and the crowd knows. I'm aiming for silver. This is what I've got so far:

The Eagles - Hotel California
Golden Earring - Radar Love
Tom Petty - Running down a dream
The Angels - Am I ever gonna see you face again
Jimmy Barnes - Working class man
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Boston - More than a feeling
ACDC - Its a long way to the top
Jimmy Hendrix - All along the watchtower

Basically I've been thinking about this on and off for a week before I head out again, and I'd like your help to make it as strong as possible. I've also got the problem that someone else is more than likely to pick the same songs, so any suggestions from a different angle would be appreciated!

Haha, this sounds pretty fun, and if there is one thing I've learned from going to australian pubs and listening to countless lovely cover bands, is that drunk people go loving nuts for Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams, Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel and I'm gonna be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers (although I'm now so sick of these songs)

I also reckon any of Dire Straits big hits would work too

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

eithedog posted:

A request: I truly enjoy The Books, where their music is rather coherent and not too "artistic" (think rather "Take Time", "Free Translator" than "Venice" or "That Right Ain't poo poo"). Of anything similar I know: l'Homme Puma (only a couple of songs sound like them though - and it's post-rock / screamo / wtf ;/), Animal Collective, Panda Bear (though their music is too lively, or fast for my taste), also Octopus Project, (which, apart from one song, sound definitely different, though is listed as one of the closest matches on last.fm).

So - I'm looking for slow music with a load of samples.

The above tracks strike me as vaguely similar to World's End Girlfriend.

Edit: Presumably you already know Zammuto.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 7, 2011

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

screaden posted:

Haha, this sounds pretty fun, and if there is one thing I've learned from going to australian pubs and listening to countless lovely cover bands, is that drunk people go loving nuts for Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams, Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel and I'm gonna be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers (although I'm now so sick of these songs)

I also reckon any of Dire Straits big hits would work too

The Proclaimers and Khe Sanh are good suggestions, I picked working class man instead of it because I hear it often but I've got to keep my eyes on the prize!

One of the problems I keep banging my head against is the age difference e.g. I could put on The Living End - Prisoner of society and the older ones go 'nah, mate' whereas with the Angels everyone sings 'no way, get hosed, gently caress off' with the chorus.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
I've been listening to a mix of all the shatter music repeatedly, I know it's trance music but I haven't really run into any trance yet that has the same... style I guess? What would ya'll suggest.

for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTDy5uMOZ94&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euFi0PLtzv8&feature=related

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

That's not trance. Sounds like some kinda electro house or whatever. There's a thread for that kind of music, check it out if you find something interesting.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

The above tracks strike me as vaguely similar to World's End Girlfriend.

Edit: Presumably you already know Zammuto.

I know and even listen to World's End Girlfriend, though his music doesn't strike me as too similar, I don't know. Thumbs up though for Zammuto - I didn't know that he started doing a solo project of his own, and the resemblence between the electronica part of Books and this is uncanny, going to check him out more (it's a shame he dropped the recordings, because this + some more melody + people talking = :love:).

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

slowdave posted:

That's not trance. Sounds like some kinda electro house or whatever. There's a thread for that kind of music, check it out if you find something interesting.

Ah-ha, I go to the electro house thread all the time! Guess I'm just lovely with identifying genres, thanks.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
e: double post

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
I picked up a Pentangle box set last year that has their greatest hits, as well as some solo stuff by John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, and I'm kind of liking the whole mellow, pastoral, ye-olde-England guitar-maestro folk they've got going on. Any suggestions?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dwayne Bensey posted:

I picked up a Pentangle box set last year that has their greatest hits, as well as some solo stuff by John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, and I'm kind of liking the whole mellow, pastoral, ye-olde-England guitar-maestro folk they've got going on. Any suggestions?

The Fairport Convention for something contemporary, The Kingsbury Manx if you want something modern, non-English, and with a bit more rock to it.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
1) What are some artists like Major Lazer? Specifically I really like the song Hold the Line.

2) What are some artists like Sierra Leone Refugee All Stars?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Dwayne Bensey posted:

Get both of the Folk is Not a Four Letter Word compilations for a pretty nice selection of 60-70s folk from all around the world.

As funkybottoms said, Fairport Convention are good. You might like The Incredible String Band too.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009
Where do I start with Sun Ra? The only jazz I've listened to is Kind of Blue and Time Out. Should I stick with more traditional things before I venture into his territory?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

1) What are some artists like Major Lazer? Specifically I really like the song Hold the Line.

Like pretty much all Dancehall, dude. Some notable contemporary MCs/Groups include Vybz Kartel, Mr. Vegas, Elephant Man, Mavado, Tony Matterhorn, Gyptian, Beenie Man, Sean Paul, Aidonia, T.O.K., Busy Signal...

It's worth noting that Dancehall, like most Dance music, is a singles driven genre, so most of the albums are pretty big stinkers. Compilations and mixes are probably the easiest way to engage the genre. I recommend checking out some of The Heatwave's mixes, http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/ they also have a radio show on Rinse.fm Monday 1 AM - 3 AM GMT (Sunday 8PM - 10 PM EST)

There are people on this forum like Ras Het who could run loving circles around me w/r/t this stuff cuz I am still entry-level as gently caress, but that is basically where I started. There's also a Dancehall thread in EW

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 9, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How dreadful! posted:

Where do I start with Sun Ra? The only jazz I've listened to is Kind of Blue and Time Out. Should I stick with more traditional things before I venture into his territory?

There aren't any rules about what you should and shouldn't listen to at any given time. Someone asked about Sun Ra on the page before this one.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Sun Ra wrote several songs falling within a more traditional bop sound.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
I'm a total scrub when it comes to anything metal related but lately I've been wanting to hear some really evil, unsettling music, and I'm betting there's black metal stuff out there I would really like. I like the more ambient-style stuff I've heard, ideally what I'm lookin for would sound like a mix of xasthur, sunn o))), lustmord, and I don't know, boards of canada maybe? Thanks!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Volvagia posted:

I'm a total scrub when it comes to anything metal related but lately I've been wanting to hear some really evil, unsettling music, and I'm betting there's black metal stuff out there I would really like. I like the more ambient-style stuff I've heard, ideally what I'm lookin for would sound like a mix of xasthur, sunn o))), lustmord, and I don't know, boards of canada maybe? Thanks!

Lustmord & Melvins collaborated on an album, that would probably be up your alley.

edit: Also maybe try Menace Ruine?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Volvagia posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is Darkspace, which is sort of between dark ambient and black metal. I have to admit I'm a little confused by the request though, doesn't Sunn basically occupy that same space anyway? What about Sunn do you want to be different?

edit: yeah Menace Ruine's not a bad rec either

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Volvagia posted:

Hardly a metal selection but

Nadja http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJdLr6uU80
Ben Frost http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnea43oKaIw
Aun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK-nxSz82M
Methadrone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2LMVIaxXI
The Angelic Process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p52KnFg1pnU
Jasper TX & Anduin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PpFo9j_JU
KTL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdmrJucSNs
Aethenor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2Z9rq2200
Pentemple http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGg9FgNxBQ
Gnaw Their Tongues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4EP__5yHnE
Trist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtUXjyRJJQQ
Mrtyu

Edit: or you could just check out all the Stephen O'Malley/Greg Anderson solo projects. KTL and Aethenor being maybe the best ones.

slowdave fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 9, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Volvagia posted:

You want Abruptum. Especially the full lengths. They can get very unmusical at times but they are one of the most evil bands i've heard

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I'm looking for music along the lines of Emancipator/Nujabes/Quantic, just more chill out music with a jazzy/hip-hop beat to it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I recently relistened to PJ Harvey's Rid of Me, and through it stumbled upon the band Queen Adreena, which I find quite similar. Basically, I'm looking for the filthiest and trashiest female-fronted hard rock. Any suggestions?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Volvagia posted:

Besides already mentioned Nadja I would add Swans and Jesu.

Amdis posted:

I'm looking for music along the lines of Emancipator/Nujabes/Quantic, just more chill out music with a jazzy/hip-hop beat to it.

You probably listened to Bonobo, so I'll recommend the same things as in Emancipator thread (but I would assume new trip-hop / downtempo bands should suit your needs as well):
Metaform, Glen Porter, Opgave, Eskmo, Epic45, Dirty Elegance, The New Law. As for jazzy bit I can recommend: Berry Weight, (maybe a stretch) Arms and Sleepers and Hidden Orchestra.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Gonna repost my question from last page for similar bands to Bauhaus. I'd also like to know some similar bands to Fang Island. I've checked pitchfork and other suggestion sites but so far I haven't found anything else that I really enjoy.

E: I'd just like to add that second one seems hipster as hell (whatever that vague term means), but drat they make me feel good.

bowser fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bowser posted:

Gonna repost my question from last page for similar bands to Bauhaus. I'd also like to know some similar bands to Fang Island. I've checked pitchfork and other suggestion sites but so far I haven't found anything else that I really enjoy.

E: I'd just like to add that second one seems hipster as hell (whatever that vague term means), but drat they

I am interested in this too. Also, Davy Crockett is an amazing song, don't you talk ugly about it.