Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Artie's shore house has seen a MASSIVE PRICE REDUCTION (not really). check out the pics here then move onto the article on that page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Millstone posted:

Artie's shore house has seen a MASSIVE PRICE REDUCTION (not really). check out the pics here then move onto the article on that page.

I live not far from there - it floods TERRIBLY right there and I cannot fathom why he would have built on that spot. The water goes up onto his property to the tune of a foot or two high.

I wouldn't buy right there for that reason along. Also, for 3 million bucks, his neighbors are as close as the dude in the cube next to you.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kelly posted:

I live not far from there - it floods TERRIBLY right there and I cannot fathom why he would have built on that spot. The water goes up onto his property to the tune of a foot or two high.

I wouldn't buy right there for that reason along. Also, for 3 million bucks, his neighbors are as close as the dude in the cube next to you.

The Eli Manning jersey drowns the value for me.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Gary Dell?abate is on Conan tonight.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

Not to mention that the whole house just isn't Artie at all.

Every floor has a porch, everything is 'quaint' to all hell, and what the hell would he ever done with a goddamn dock? That house is as out of place as High Pitch Eric at a MENSA meeting.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That house is loving hideous and Artie should be ashamed he bought some crap McMansion just down the road from The Situation's place. Everything about the interior is set up to show off faux-Nor'easter styling for The Hamptons Magazine rather than actual livability and like has been said, nothing about it is very Artie-like.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

-Atom- posted:

Oh I'm sure it will be fascinating hearing about his book of lists and how Howard has assassinated his masculinity, and Joan Rivers bookings.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Millstone posted:

ugh the interior sucks, his mom obviously decorated the whole drat thing. I bet his man cave too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ether Frenzy posted:

That house is loving hideous and Artie should be ashamed he bought some crap McMansion just down the road from The Situation's place. Everything about the interior is set up to show off faux-Nor'easter styling for The Hamptons Magazine rather than actual livability and like has been said, nothing about it is very Artie-like.

This is exactly what a lower class person would buy in that area if they came into some money. You guys act like Artie came from money and an upper class lifestyle. McMansions and their classic insides are exactly what a lower class person would envision themselves living in if they came into money. They don't see themselves spending millions and making themselves a grand library or a nice garden they just get a few rooms, a theater/game room and a pool out back and they're set.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I understand the sociology behind it, but I still can't really figure out why people think this sort of method for expending cash would make them happy compared to just doing it up the way they want it. It obviously never made Artie very happy.

He could have bought something that fit him better (5 bedrooms when you're a single man? Huh?), spent half the money, and had a lot more fun-looking entertainment aspects. His pool room looks sad, his TV areas look sad.

I wish there was pics of the Man Cave, maybe that redeems it all?

I also don't think Artie's anywhere near as blue-collar as his self-told story might indicate. His father owned his own construction business and his sister went to a design college.
The median income for a family in the town he grew up in is $140k.

E: I'm wrong here so disregard the last paragraph.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 10, 2011

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I understand the sociology behind it, but I still can't really figure out why people think this sort of method for expending cash would make them happy compared to just doing it up the way they want it. It obviously never made Artie very happy.

He could have bought something that fit him better (5 bedrooms when you're a single man? Huh?), spent half the money, and had a lot more fun-looking entertainment aspects. His pool room looks sad, his TV areas look sad.

I wish there was pics of the Man Cave, maybe that redeems it all?

I also don't think Artie's anywhere near as blue-collar as his self-told story might indicate. His father owned his own construction business and his sister went to a design college.
The median income for a family in the town he grew up in is $140k.

Construction business? His dad installed cable tv and satellite dishes.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Then his family was hit with all the financial issues of having a father, who provided the most income, incapacitated and on his death bed. When Artie was like 18 or so. The same thing happened to my mom at 14 and it completely fucks your family over financially along with everything else that goes along with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

chiz posted:

Construction business? His dad installed cable tv and satellite dishes.

Oh well, I suppose you've got me there. That sounds like the kind of work that a trucker or a waiter does, not someone who owns a contracting business.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Then his family was hit with all the financial issues of having a father, who provided the most income, incapacitated and on his death bed. When Artie was like 18 or so. The same thing happened to my mom at 14 and it completely fucks your family over financially along with everything else that goes along with it.

That may well be, but it's not the same as growing up 'lower class'.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

That may well be, but it's not the same as growing up 'lower class'.

Middle-class? I'm not even sure I understand your point. Psychology alone can have an effect on someone's complex. Artie feels he comes from a blue collar working class family, and there's nothing really to suggest otherwise. Even if, say, that weren't true, his mindset negates the reality of it and when you have money you can buy into your own misconceptions. Hell, it's why Artie kept up the whole "working man" image because he felt like it's where he comes from as an offshore-man and floundering upstart comedian.

A person can work in construction for 6 months and come away with that mentality ingrained in their system even if others judge it as not realistic.

Ajediday
Mar 8, 2003
Artie's Man Cave was done on DIY Network's show called Man Caves (Gary and Ferall also had one done with the show).

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/video/player/0,1000643,DIY_33170_4581_25301-29441,00.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm just saying that Artie played up the Working Class thing because that's his persona. It sells to his audience, and it works, and he may well have the mentality of a working class person from his 9 months on the docks.

I just don't think if you grow up in a town where the median income for a family is $140k that you are necessarily as underprivileged as most people assume when you hear a personal history that sounds blue-collary.

I came from a pretty well off city in the midwest where almost everyone was employed and had a residence, and the median income for families in that town is $54k. Granted, there are regional differences between cost of living, but $140k is pretty comfortable just about anywhere.

So my main point was I don't think his 'blue collar' upbringing had all that much to do with his choosing that house.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm just saying that Artie played up the Working Class thing because that's his persona. It sells to his audience, and it works, and he may well have the mentality of a working class person from his 9 months on the docks.

I just don't think if you grow up in a town where the median income for a family is $140k that you are necessarily as underprivileged as most people assume when you hear a personal history that sounds blue-collary.

I came from a pretty well off city in the midwest where almost everyone was employed and had a residence, and the median income for families in that town is $54k. Granted, there are regional differences between cost of living, but $140k is pretty comfortable just about anywhere.

So my main point was I don't think his 'blue collar' upbringing had all that much to do with his choosing that house.

You looked up where he was born and not where he was raised. This is what Wikipedia has for Union Township:

The median income for a household in the township was $59,173, and the median income for a family was $68,707 (these figures had risen to $68,979 and $80,260 respectively as of a 2007 estimate).

None of this tells us how it was 40 years ago anyway.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ah, you're right. My mistake - $60k is a lot more consistent with his stories than $140k would be.

Still a loving hideous house.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

A person can work in construction for 6 months and come away with that mentality ingrained in their system even if others judge it as not realistic.

You can't come away with that mentality in that short of a period at all, the hell are you talking about? Your persona in some facets at least, represents your upbringing and the environment you grew up in.

Artie grew up in a blue collar home doing blue collar jobs such as working for his dad, doing construction, working for his uncle that was an electrical subcontractor, and then he was a longshoreman.

Then he went on to try out comedy and got lucky with MadTV and some movie parts, but he's always retained that blue collar side of himself, and that's normal.

chiz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 10, 2011

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

You can't come away with that mentality in that short of a period at all, the hell are you talking about? Your persona in some facets at least, represent your upbringing and the environment you grew up in.

Artie grew up in a blue collar home doing blue collar jobs such as working for his dad, doing construction, working for his uncle that was an electrical subcontractor, and then he was a longshoreman.

Then he went on to try out comedy and got lucky with MadTV and some movie parts, but he's always retained that blue collar side of himself, and that's normal.

I worked in construction for a few years, but personal experiences are obviously not important.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think we can all agree that the show is a billion times better with Artie.

loving Howard and Robin ruined that interview with the jockeys yesterday, constantly interrupting their attempts to answer questions and impart some information about their world.

At one point Howard asked something, Robin interrupted the jockeys and gave a random made up answer, and Howard moved onto the next question like it had been answered.

Harrable.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ether Frenzy posted:

I tried sticking around but only recently have I started to ween down on my listening.

It's going to be a weird day when I wake up and don't check MarksFriggin.com

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

I worked in construction for a few years, but personal experiences are obviously not important.

I did it for ten, I'm not impressed either

:smug:

edit; here's some Artie doing guy who laughs at everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVuh4JfOao&NR=1

chiz fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 10, 2011

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

I did it for ten, I'm not impressed either

:smug:

To be honest, my memory might be skewed from having to hear Rush Limbaugh blasted on the DeWalt radios every day. There's no recovering from that.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

To be honest, my memory might be skewed from having to hear Rush Limbaugh blasted on the DeWalt radios every day. There's no recovering from that.

haha we had those radios too.

Oh and speaking of manly poo poo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y64xhDQlRmg&NR=1

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

chiz posted:

haha we had those radios too.

I wonder why SIRIUS never made construction type radios. From what others told me, Stern was always played on-site until he moved to satellite. Hell, you would only need one subscription...well maybe that's why they don't want to do that!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

chiz posted:

I miss Artie so much.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Remember back in the old thread when people were honestly saying that Artie was dragging down the show and that it would be better off without him?

I guess they got their wish. Look at all the fun we are having now. :geno:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Vakal posted:

Remember back in the old thread when people were honestly saying that Artie was dragging down the show and that it would be better off without him?

When Artie was sleeping on the air, lying to everyone, monopolizing the airtime with his longwinded heroin stories, or just plain calling in sick, the show was worse than it is now, at least for me.

When Artie actually came in and stayed awake and told jokes like his job required the show was way better than it is now.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Ether Frenzy posted:

nothing about it is very Artie-like.

Well his mom decorated it to begin with, but Artie was so blasted on Heroin during that period, he probably had no idea what was going on.
The room with the flat screen, pool table and poker table make sense, but everything else is very much out of place.
It wouldnt surprise me if he tried to sell his condo as well. I bet he has basically lived with his mom and sister the last 18 months.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

-Atom- posted:

Howard is going to rake him over the coals on Monday. Not for any particular reason just because he is Baba Booey.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Former Human posted:

When Artie was sleeping on the air, lying to everyone, monopolizing the airtime with his longwinded heroin stories, or just plain calling in sick, the show was worse than it is now, at least for me.

When Artie actually came in and stayed awake and told jokes like his job required the show was way better than it is now.

The show's pretty uneventful these days, which ain't a great thing to have to say about the best radio show on Earth, but the show was honest-to-god nausea inducing during the height of Artie's breakdown. I definitely don't listen to a comedy show to get depressed.

I miss Artie on the show so much, but he really made the show terrible during the end of his run. It put me on edge the way he'd start yelling over Howard during interviews and stuff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ajediday posted:

Artie's Man Cave was done on DIY Network's show called Man Caves (Gary and Ferall also had one done with the show).

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/video/player/0,1000643,DIY_33170_4581_25301-29441,00.html

gently caress that was painful to watch. I hope Artie's doing better, I really do.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I like the way you put it: the whole man cave aspect looks really out of place. Notice that everything seems too old-fashioned and the TVs seem like an afterthought. I'm not sure if it's the photographs, but the whole house seems to be incredibly small for its size.

It won't go for three million at all. He'll be lucky to get a million for it, simply because it looks like the McMansion version of a Pontiac Aztek.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I've enjoyed few things my life more than the shows with Artie, no guests, and a call from Eric the Midget.

"Bye, shithead!"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Word. Half of my recordings from the sirius era that are noted "Good show" also have the "No guests" tag.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Paraphrased:"I want to retire, but I don't have the balls! My hope is that if I just make the show as boring as possible, you guys will stop listening and I can just fade away."
--Howard Stern, 1999 (to a caller complaining about Howard spending drive time talking to Elephant Boy)

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I like the way you put it: the whole man cave aspect looks really out of place.

I don't understand why a single man would need a man cave in the first place. It's not like you need a refuge from useless pillows when you aren't married to someone that purchases the pillows.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I have said it once and I will say it again: I am fairly certain the revolution that has become the theme of the Sirius era is against the fans.

I've been listening to O&A a lot more - though they have just had a very eventful week or so. Lots of times their show is uneven as well.

I really wonder what they will do with the channels once Howard leaves. I don't know if I will make it through another 5 years of shows like this, I may just cancel my best of Sirius package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I don't understand why a single man would need a man cave in the first place. It's not like you need a refuge from useless pillows when you aren't married to someone that purchases the pillows.

I bet Artie doesn't understand why he needed a big beach house like that in the first place, either. The whole house screams 'bad idea' from the tiny attic to the really lovely design.