Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Possible opening (long story, lots of politics, position may already be given to someone else but who knows) here in child support, pm me extremely soon if interested. Have to have passed a bar somewhere.

Why do you post this mere days after I cannot apply to it.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Business card chat: Where do y'all get business cards? Preferably ones that would make Patrick Bateman jealous.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

quote:

I wound up having to draw arbitrary lines between grades and to set all the grades lower than, in my judgment, your performance warranted.

--An e-mail from a law school professor I received today.

:ughh:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is he trying to say you got the highest grade? Or that you should have gotten a higher grade? What the hell

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

diospadre posted:

Is he trying to say you got the highest grade? Or that you should have gotten a higher grade? What the hell

It's a mass email - the your would be collective.

In other words "there's a curve I have to abide by and you guys got screwed."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

diospadre posted:

That's just a snippet. But basically he was impressed by everyone and wanted to give higher grades, but the law school wouldn't let him. So he drew arbitrary lines. Woooo.

Edit:

Arbitrary lines that benefitted me! Wooo!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 9, 2011

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

At least he's honest about the arbitrariness.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Working on an international law file right now :allears:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BigHead posted:

Why do you post this mere days after I cannot apply to it.

:(

Trust me, the timing is awful on this end as well.

But seriously, kind of desperate for applicants, since a lack of applicants means we get someone who will seriously gently caress up our office (again).

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tomorrow afternoon I have my first real interview with a BigLaw firm, which I'm super super super excited about.

Today my temperature hit 100 and I've definitely got some serious sinus issues going on. I'm trying to see if I can push the interviews to next week but I also communicated to the scheduling person that I'll come in tomorrow if necessary. Man, Sudafed and Advil better make me feel much better tomorrow.

I have another set of interviews at another firm on Monday.

Christ if I have the flu, I'm going to be so pissed. :suicide:

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

entris posted:

What kind of firm wants to see your undergrad grades? Or was this question based off GPAs that you listed on your resume?

Maybe it's a Canadian thing? I think he just wanted to see how I answer questions.

My friend interviewed with the same firm and a partner who wasn't present at my interview said "I don't give a gently caress about grades" to her. So good.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Abugadu posted:

But seriously, kind of desperate for applicants, since a lack of applicants means we get someone who will seriously gently caress up our office (again).

Hang out in #lawgoons more, it should be anyone's one-stop shop for desperate, overeducated law students.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

entris posted:

Tomorrow afternoon I have my first real interview with a BigLaw firm, which I'm super super super excited about.

Today my temperature hit 100 and I've definitely got some serious sinus issues going on. I'm trying to see if I can push the interviews to next week but I also communicated to the scheduling person that I'll come in tomorrow if necessary. Man, Sudafed and Advil better make me feel much better tomorrow.

I have another set of interviews at another firm on Monday.

Christ if I have the flu, I'm going to be so pissed. :suicide:

We need to get booze before I move to Austin to go to Northsouthern.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Protip: Anyone who is an SA right now, get in touch with your HR people and see if Bloomberg Law is giving you (just SAs) free access this summer. Alternatively, apply to get into the beta. I got my code today and the interface is pretty nice. I haven't messed around with the treatises they have on it yet but I might check those out tomorrow. But the key is that it's free - no client input needed, no worries about accumulating unnecessary charges, you are free to dick around.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

Tell me about child support law.
Admitted in 2 states, actual legal experience, current job getting eliminated soon.
Hell, I applied to South Dakota.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

nm posted:

Tell me about child support law.
Admitted in 2 states, actual legal experience, current job getting eliminated soon.
Hell, I applied to South Dakota.

You go to court once, maybe twice a week. Case load of 500-1200, not all actively going to court, so you're in there maybe 6 hours a week tops.

No trials, most of the brain work is motion practice. Starting pay is just over 40k, but higher with experience, I think the pay schedule is in Guam's Title 4 somewhere.

The life of a case is establishing paternity, getting an order, enforcing that order, cheering when the kid turns 18 if there's no arrears.

Guam is better than South Dakota.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Have to have passed a bar somewhere.

Aw, wait a few months!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

You go to court once, maybe twice a week. Case load of 500-1200, not all actively going to court, so you're in there maybe 6 hours a week tops.

No trials, most of the brain work is motion practice. Starting pay is just over 40k, but higher with experience, I think the pay schedule is in Guam's Title 4 somewhere.

The life of a case is establishing paternity, getting an order, enforcing that order, cheering when the kid turns 18 if there's no arrears.

Guam is better than South Dakota.
Is it actually interesting?
Sounds low stress though, which is good.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Is it actually interesting?
Sounds low stress though, which is good.

Yes and no. If you're interested in legal theories, you can find stuff to get excited about. It's a big mishmash of administrative procedure and law, it's a constantly changing field, lots of international issues that are developing. Day to day, it's a little slower, with some mind-numbing data entry and accounting thrown in.

But it is incredibly low stress, and you feel good about what you're doing, which I couldn't say about my firm job.

Edit: Best part of this last year was watching an 81-year-old Filipino dude being slowly helped to the defendant's chair, and when I open the file, I see it's on for a genetic test. Some 30 year-old woman accused him of being the father of her kid. Turns out, he wasn't. I was hoping for a Jerry Springer style dance move, but he just kind of nodded and tottered back out.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 10, 2011

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CaptainScraps posted:

--An e-mail from a law school professor I received today.

:ughh:

I don't think this is unfair. Grades are a means of ranking, not of measuring absolute performance.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
So those late grades I was worried about? I don't know about everyone else, but I just got my worst grade in law school.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Neurosis posted:

I don't think this is unfair. Grades are a means of ranking, not of measuring absolute performance.

Kind of exactly why it's unfair.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Nero posted:

So those late grades I was worried about? I don't know about everyone else, but I just got my worst grade in law school.

Sorry bud. I'm still waiting on two myself. One I completely understand (busy guy, something about battling republicans in a far off land...), the other was a seminar with a whopping four people.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Abugadu posted:

Kind of exactly why it's unfair.

Only if you're actually learning something substantive, like math or engineering. In that case, your grade should reflect your level of objective knowledge of the subject.

But in law school classes you aren't actually learning anything worthwhile. It's fantasy law and poo poo like common law evidence. The nicest way to put it is that you're learning the 'process' of learning actual law and turning that knowledge into legal analysis. That being the case, it's more important to use grades as a signaling device for employers about your relative ability to write, organize, etc.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Law school exams are a perfect way to test because the only things it really tests are your ability to study mundane things with no connection to the real world, contort facts to a particular position, and tolerance for long waits with underwhelming results.

edit: ~qUoTeZ tImE~

quote:

But there were other lessons [law school] taught me that I regret learning. I learned not to trust people; I learned not to believe what they say but to watch what they do; I learned to suspect that anyone and everyone is capable of "living a lie". I came to believe that other people - even when you think you know them well - are ultimately unknowable. Learning all this was a good basis for my subsequent career as [a lawyer], but not, I think, for life. It made me too wary, too cautious, too ungiving. I was damaged by my education.

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: I was damaged by my education.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 10, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Omerta posted:

Law school exams are a perfect way to test because the only things it really tests are your ability to study mundane things with no connection to the real world, contort facts to a particular position, and tolerance for long waits with underwhelming results.

No, that's being a lawyer.

Law school is about being able to state that the hypothetical has no answer but policy dictates that it should go towards the professor's viewpoint.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

NJ Deac posted:

Good luck proving a deliberate decision to deceive post-Therasense. Also, I wonder if the finding of validity in view of a particular reference would carry over to the determination of invalidating the patent only "where the patentee’s misconduct resulted in the unfair benefit of receiving an unwarranted claim."

If the patent is not found invalid by a clear and convincing standard over art that the patentee should have cited but didn't, does that imply that the reference, even if cited, wouldn't have prevented the patentee from receiving their claims, and thus the patentee hasn't received an unwarranted claim? I guess not, since the PTO standards are different since you're not dealing with the presumption of validity, but it seems strange that you can render the patent unenforceable based on a deceitfully uncited reference by arguing that the patent should be invalid (i.e., the patentee received claims they wouldn't have if the art had been cited), even if you can't invalidate the patent because of the higher standard.

Edit: Thinking about this a little more, I guess it makes sense that if you can prove that the patentee knowingly withheld information from the patent office, then you get a lower standard to prove the patent is invalid than you would have if you were just making a straight up invalidity argument.
I agree, post therasense, it's tough.

Though there is a discussion in there about about different claim construction principles, etc.

I was more referring to pre-therasense law - it kind of looks bad if you don't disclose the closest prior art, which happens to be yours. There is a case (dippin dots?) that says that withholding prior sales by the patentee is particularly egregious.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Picked up my JD today. Can I append Esq. to my name yet or is that once I'm licensed?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Picked up my JD today. Can I append Esq. to my name yet or is that once I'm licensed?

Licensed, I believe.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You can append Esq. to your cat's name. Just don't let it practice law until it's licensed. The same goes for you.

However, you can be censured by the bar if you use Esq. without owning a tweed 3-piece suit and a break-barrel shotgun.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Esq. is an honorific that other people use when addressing you in written form, appending it to your own name in your own correspondence shows douchebaggery.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I agree with J Miracle. I've never appended Esq. to my own name. I've only had it attached to my name by other people communicating to me via written correspondence.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I would never actually do it outside Facebook or something.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

J Miracle posted:

Esq. is an honorific that other people use when addressing you in written form, appending it to your own name in your own correspondence shows douchebaggery.

Yeah, for gently caress's sake. You don't put Esq. after your own name. It's not even an opinion.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Omerta posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: I was damaged by my education.

Agreed. Law school loving sucks, and working in big law loving sucks even more.

I had a nice cushy job as an engineer. And then I went to a T3 law school, got good grades, and am now a summer at a V25 law firm. I'm counting down the days until my 10 weeks are up because every single day at work is mindless torture and big law is complete, utter poo poo.

And now I have no idea what I'm going to do after I graduate. Motherfucking sucks. Waste of my 3 years.

edit: Someone update the flow chart in the OP to say that you shouldn't go to law school no matter what school you get in to. Just make the entire thing a giant "no."

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 11, 2011

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
i'm willing to bet quite a few goons in this very thread would be willing to murder you and wear your skin and take your big law job and potential offer

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Wedesdo posted:

I had a nice cushy job as an engineer. And then I went to a T3 law school, got good grades, and am now a summer at a V25 law firm. I'm counting down the days until my 10 weeks are up because every single day at work is mindless torture and big law is complete, utter poo poo.

And now I have no idea what I'm going to do after I graduate. Motherfucking sucks. Waste of my 3 years.

edit: Someone update the flow chart in the OP to say that you shouldn't go to law school no matter what school you get in to. Just make the entire thing a giant "no."

Patent prosecution is pretty fun and you feel like you're helping people without loving over others, but then again you don't need a law degree to do it so your point stands.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoFauxHawk posted:

Yeah, for gently caress's sake. You don't put Esq. after your own name. It's not even an opinion.

i put Esq. after my name when playing games online, so I'm "Baruch Obamawitz, Esq."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

i put Esq. after my name when playing games online, so I'm "Baruch Obamawitz, Esq."

Epic douchebaggery; GTFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

Wedesdo posted:

[...]

What's so bad about it? Is your firm working you that hard?