Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

Man, is Burlew okay? It feels like he hasn't posted in quite a while.

It never fails. Every time there's a long break all it takes for a comic is for someone to say "Man, is Burlew okay?" Bam. Comic in 24 hours.

I have to say, I was not a fan of Elan before this story arc but he's really growing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's always nice seeing Elan's little moments of cleverness.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Toussaint Louverture posted:

It never fails. Every time there's a long break all it takes for a comic is for someone to say "Man, is Burlew okay?" Bam. Comic in 24 hours.

I have to say, I was not a fan of Elan before this story arc but he's really growing on me.

Man, is Burlew okay?

Just doing my part to keep the comics rolling.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It doesn't work if you do it like that. You must be unaware of it and a certain amount of time must have passed.

Pope Guilty posted:

Tsukiko would never go for Haley, she has all that horrible life in her.

Yeah but it's a nice thought.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I love how Elan's competence levels spike every time Nale's around. It must be a class feature.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

CapnAndy posted:

I love how Elan's competence levels spike every time Nale's around. It must be a class feature.

I actually like the theory that Nale and Elan have the exact same stats, meaning that Nale is actually just as dumb as Elan is, just a lot better at making himself not look like it. Thus, being at equal intellectual levels, Elan is perfectly equipped to outsmart his brother.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

inthesto posted:

I actually like the theory that Nale and Elan have the exact same stats, meaning that Nale is actually just as dumb as Elan is, just a lot better at making himself not look like it. Thus, being at equal intellectual levels, Elan is perfectly equipped to outsmart his brother.

Elan's Int is lower because Nale smacked him upside the head a lot when they were infants. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mylan posted:

Elan's Int is lower because Nale smacked him upside the head a lot when they were infants. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html
And I really don't think Nale's got an 18 charisma. He's as pretty as Elan, but not even in the same zip code when it comes to charm.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

And I really don't think Nale's got an 18 charisma. He's as pretty as Elan, but not even in the same zip code when it comes to charm.

A lot of roleplayers seem to think Charisma only means appearance and attractiveness. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a character trait based on more RPGer stereotypes, like Tsukiko's whole character was(The inflexible Paladin).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

inthesto posted:

Makes sense, Haley's nemesis always gained a level when Haley did regardless of her actions. Nale being Elan's nemesis just makes good storytelling.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

rotinaj posted:

A lot of roleplayers seem to think Charisma only means appearance and attractiveness. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a character trait based on more RPGer stereotypes, like Tsukiko's whole character was(The inflexible Paladin).

It's also a force of personality. If I can break genre to another RPG, in Vampire, the Nosferatu have Appearance ratings of 0 and can never raise them. Their Charisma and Manipulation stats are usually higher than average, since they only have 2 social stats to split their points between.

Nale can drum up just as much in the drama department as Elan can and they both use similar skill sets. The difference is that Elan uses Bluff and Diplomacy to get people to befriend him, Nale uses the same skills to get people to follow him.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rotinaj posted:

Miko, you mean... Tsukiko is the goth necromancer.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperKlaus posted:

If it's entertaining I don't care. The stuff like the half-orc ninja arc grated because it was pretty much never funny. But shots at bad feats, "playtesting the grapple rules with your tongue," that is what OOTS used to be made of. If Burlew can keep a little smile on my face it doesn't matter if it takes Elan 100 strips to find Durkon. Humor first.

Though I do want to see this family feud payoff. Something Ferrinus brought up, buried in that tired edition war, was the role of family in OOTS. If we'd like to discuss the strip more deeply than "this was good" or "that was bad" I think family is an excellent place to start. Roy's dad, Haley's dad, Elan's dad and brother, V's family. The first three are all driven by those relationships and the last one's had it come up some too. What's Burlew saying? Dunno what myself but I'm mulling it over. Maybe that as arrogant wizards/paranoid nuts/coldly efficient tyrants the dads represent "bad gamers." Maybe something richer.

I think it's the other way around - he's using D&D to talk about relationship,s not relationships to talk about D&D. I think there are strong parallels between Roy choosing the objectively worse but more personally fulfilling class and, say, someone deciding to become an artist or game designer rather than an accountant or engineer or something.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, is Burlew okay?

*cough*

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The front page of the site mentions something about the next OotS book having substantial problems, which may explain his extended absence.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wanderer posted:

The front page of the site mentions something about the next OotS book having substantial problems, which may explain his extended absence.

That post was from May, though :(

Also, I'm still waiting on the damned book I pre-ordered.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Wanderer posted:

Legal problems and printing problems, apparently.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, just got the following email from Ookakdook:

quote:

This is certainly long overdue, but here's some updated info
for the Dragon Tales and OOTS games pre-orders from Ookoodook.

SNIPS, SNAILS and DRAGON TALES
==============================
After contacting the printer, I have been informed that due to
complications during production, Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales
will not be shipped out until sometime in July. The printer is
sending a new set of proofs next week and if everything is
separated correctly, printing should proceed quickly thereafter.
Rich and I thank you for your patience and understanding.

OOTS SHORTENING EXPANSION and DELUXE EDITION GAMES
==================================================
The printer informed me just hours ago that the games would
arrive in the U.S. on the first week of August. That means it
will be close to the 3rd week of August before they get to our
warehouse in Houston. We apologize for the delay. Part of the
problem was that the final cards didn't get to the printer on
schedule, and part was that the printer didn't include the
expansion cards as part of the Deluxe Edition game.

PRODUCT AT GEN CON
==================
My plan is to get a couple pallets of games sent ahead of the
rest of the shipment so that I can have them for Gen Con. I'll
also bring a list of folks that pre-ordered the games, so if
you're at the con, I can give you the game there instead of
shipping it to you. Sorry, no postage refunds - I'm paying
considerably extra to get the games expedited.

Folks that pre-ordered the book should hopefully already have
it before Gen Con, but we'll of course bring them to the show.

CHANGING YOUR ADDRESS
=====================
If you're moving, feel free to email us at info@apegames.com.
We'll update the address in your order before it ships.

WHEN YOUR ORDER SHIPS
=====================
You will get an email with a USPS.com tracking number when your
order ships.

FUTURE UPDATES
==============
Please see the Ookoodook home page for any changes in status.
I'll also post updates to the GiantITP forum here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11307523#post11307523

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Rich is dead.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

I think Rich is dead.
Give it another week. (Fingers crossed.)

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

I think Rich is dead.

I wonder if he has a backup plan that kicks in if he dies.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

I wonder if he has a backup plan that kicks in if he dies.

A big diamond and a cleric. I mean, right? Anything else would be a big disappointment.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
His son will take over but he will change the name to The Order of the Stack and make the comic about Civ IV instead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If he became a lich, he wouldn't have a digestive system to get all irritable.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
I was overseas for most of June and not reading threads, but I still checked post counts on the Awful app when I had wifi. I was all "Sweet! 160 posts in the OOTS thread, there must be some updates!" Then I got back and it was all wizard arguments :I

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TremendousMajestic posted:

I was overseas for most of June and not reading threads, but I still checked post counts on the Awful app when I had wifi. I was all "Sweet! 160 posts in the OOTS thread, there must be some updates!" Then I got back and it was all wizard arguments :I

You're welcome :colbert:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TremendousMajestic posted:

That moment of hope was the only gift we could give you :unsmith:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I appreciate your insights Ferrinus...too easy to forget about this when the strips aren't flowing though! I'll think about it some more and come back soon, probably.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I found this in the Fandom!Secrets thread and well I'm sure you guys will totally appreciate it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What, what does that even mean? The grammar in the blue text is just confusing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What, what does that even mean? The grammar in the blue text is just confusing.

It's better that you don't know, trust me, you'll be happier that way.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Renoistic posted:

No I won't be, tell me please.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"shipped" is short for "relationshipped", which I guess is the replacement term for slash in the fan fiction community.

Probably because slash originally described homosexual relationships, starting with the original use, Kirk/Spock, while shipping can go either way.

edit: And I don't know why I know any of this. :psyduck:

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 10, 2011

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Affi posted:

No I won't be, tell me please.

It's a painfully stupid thing that a particular sort of strange and obsessive person does where they decide that two fictional characters (or in even creepier cases, real people) should be in a romantic and/or sexual relationship. They call it "shipping" because they think it sounds cute or something hell I don't know.

e: beaten

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Renoistic posted:

I profusely apologize, you were right, I was much happier.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Affi posted:

I profusely apologize, you were right, I was much happier.

At least I tried, but I guess it was inevitable :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Ship" allegedly comes from the pre-internet days, when slashfic was shared person-to-person by mail and through fanzines, and people would literally ship the slashfic to people. I'm not sure I believe that, though.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Pope Guilty posted:

"Ship" allegedly comes from the pre-internet days, when slashfic was shared person-to-person by mail and through fanzines, and people would literally ship the slashfic to people. I'm not sure I believe that, though.

I can't imagine being at a point in my life where I would think it was cool to ask some sweaty nerd across the country to send me his/her poorly written fuckfic featuring Spock and Kirk on the planet of the gays. The shame when it finally arrive would probably kill me on the spot.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oh well, 5 new posts, I guess there must be a
:siren:NEW STRIP:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Does that mean Thog hasn't even been raging up until now? :aaa: