Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Nice, those look to be in pretty good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I got some of the RBK 10k shinguards today and good lord are their straps not really meant for people who don't have chicken legs. I could barely get it around my leg and I think I may try to play one game in 'em and hopefully they'll feel better or else they're going back.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

xzzy posted:

I dislike Iron Maiden, am I not allowed to play hockey anymore? :ohdear:

Or is there a list of acceptable metal alternatives?

There are actually quite a few good covers of Iron Maiden songs available, best of both worlds :hfive:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Dont store skates with skate guards on.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

poser posted:

Dont store skates with skate guards on.

When do I use skate guards then?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alizee posted:

When do I use skate guards then?

When you're walking around with the skates on.

Use soakers or a towel to store the skates.. they will pick up any moisture and prevent rust problems.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

Use soakers or a towel to store the skates.. they will pick up any moisture and prevent rust problems.

And skate guards will cause rust :eng101:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Can you guys not walk everywhere in your rink without skate guards? I can pre-game a beer then take a leak wearing mine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can you guys not walk everywhere in your rink without skate guards? I can pre-game a beer then take a leak wearing mine.

I don't even own a pair of skate guards, just soakers. Entire floor at my rink is rubber.

But I had guards as a kid, and I got yelled at for leaving my skate guards on. Which is how I know when it is and isn't correct to use them. :science:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Alizee posted:

Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

Those look sick.

Also, sick was not an adjective I used to describe good things until about 9 months into playing hockey. Weird.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

And skate guards will cause rust :eng101:

Hey, wanna grab a beer on the 17th or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Those look sick.

Also, sick was not an adjective I used to describe good things until about 9 months into playing hockey. Weird.

Don't start skateboarding then, or you'll use it every other word.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Alizee posted:

Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

An excellent find. I'm glad you like the fit. They will feel completely different actually skating instead of standing and doing cartwheels. This is likely a very good thing. I hope they bring you long term happiness.

I thought the Vapor X:40 was the lowest bakeable skate. Shows what I know.

Also, I've never owned skate guards. Once I put on skates, if it isn't covered in rubber, I don't go there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
oh no i've been using skate guards for like 6 months my skates are ruined i will get soakers asap :(

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

oddIXIbbo posted:

An excellent find. I'm glad you like the fit. They will feel completely different actually skating instead of standing and doing cartwheels. This is likely a very good thing. I hope they bring you long term happiness.

I thought the Vapor X:40 was the lowest bakeable skate. Shows what I know.

Also, I've never owned skate guards. Once I put on skates, if it isn't covered in rubber, I don't go there.
How do you keep them from clanking around in your bag?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get some of those terry guards. They soak up water and protect your gear and blades from eachother. They are soft like a towel but have heavy nylon on the bottom in case you need to walk.

I take my skates off after a session usually wiping off the snow and running them under the hand dryer for a second. Put the guards on and head home. Keeping your skates on separate sides of your bag keeps them from clanking.

When I get home, I air my stuff out so it doesn't smell of aborted fetuses (feti?) Drowning in a sun baked piss cocktail.

Take this time to let your blades dry off without the guards. Put the guards back on later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

coldwind posted:

I keep these on my skates at all times, unless they're on my feet:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-ac-blade-covers-08.html

e: Looks like those are only available in junior sizes, but there's other brands on HM if you go under Skates > Skate Accessories.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I keep these on my skates at all times, unless they're on my feet:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/rbk-hockey-ac-blade-covers-08.html

e: Looks like those are only available in junior sizes, but there's other brands on HM if you go under Skates > Skate Accessories.
Well, yeah, isn't that exactly what we were talking about? oddIXIbbo said he didn't have any.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

coldwind posted:

He, like me, probably has external pockets specifically for the skates. Like on this bag:

Note: If you're gonna get a bag with outside pockets, DO NOT get one like this, get one with the pockets set up so that you can put BOTH skates upside down so that your skates don't wear through the pocket incredibly quickly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

He, like me, probably has external pockets specifically for the skates. Like on this bag:

Note: If you're gonna get a bag with outside pockets, DO NOT get one like this, get one with the pockets set up so that you can put BOTH skates upside down so that your skates don't wear through the pocket incredibly quickly.

I have the RBK 5k Bag and really like it (dunno if I have the 36" or 40" though...). Carries my skates on either side and roomy enough for all the rest of my poo poo. Always put my skates in with soakers (and rub 'em off with a towel after every skate) so I've never had a problem with wear-through. Had this bag forever and a day.

Although there are upsides to getting a wheeled bag, like you could have your husband wheel it in for you.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 10, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

Heat treating pretty much eliminates the break in period, so it's not as bad as it used to be.
I've been baking skates as long as I can remember, it still is a bitch to break in skates for me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Speaking of bags, I bought a backpack a few months ago and I like it very much. The only downside is that it's on the small side, but I like it. It has skate pouches and a helmet pouch on top. It's similar to this one.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-equipment-bag-backpack-stealth-s13.html

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

I've heard this on more than one occassion, but my experience with soakers is the exact opposite. If I leave them on too long, the moisture from the soakers evaporates and rusts up the steel since it's has nowhere to go. I put them on after I skate to protect the steel from whatever, but take them off immediately when I get home.

Maybe I have lovely soakers, I dunno, but I keep my skates rust-free from without them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Stainless steel blades shouldnt rust :gonk:

I've been using the same steels (Lightspeed2) since I was 19, so uhh, 6 years now in my last 3 pairs of skates, I keep soakers on them 24/7 and there isnt a spot of rust.

Just dont get the cheap colored soakers cause they can stain your holders and it looks crappy.

D C fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 10, 2011

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

DingDing! Not that exact model but a very roomy bag with skate pockets on the side and two waterproof pockets at the ends. Skates on the sides, Shower stuff (towels, soap)goes in one end. Manager stuff (roster, clipboard) goes in the other. I think it's 10 years old RBK but I can't find any images online.

As soon as I get home, I toss any washable stuff into the laundry. I spray lysol on any body contacting pads (inside shins, elbows, shoulders, pants, inside gloves especially) and hang up all my gear on those $0.70 bicycle hooks from the basement ceiling. Sometimes I'll turn on a boxfan. 15min of care and there is no rust and no smell.

oddIXIbbo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 10, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I have the RBK 5k Bag and really like it (dunno if I have the 36" or 40" though...). Carries my skates on either side and roomy enough for all the rest of my poo poo. Always put my skates in with soakers (and rub 'em off with a towel after every skate) so I've never had a problem with wear-through. Had this bag forever and a day.

Although there are upsides to getting a wheeled bag, like you could have your husband wheel it in for you.
Just reminded me, one of my teammates sometimes has her fiance carry all her stuff to and from the car. It's hilarious.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

Hey, wanna grab a beer on the 17th or what?

I might be free, what time?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pulled the trigger on some Vapor X40 pants :toot:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

Pulled the trigger on some Vapor X40 pants :toot:
Oh hey I just got mine in yesterday. They seem like nice pants but I'll know more when I wear 'em for tonights game.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. I've been playing ice hockey since I could walk. Although I haven't played in about 4 years. I'm moving to Tucson and I'm going to get back into the sport. I'll need new skates and sticks. I've never been much of a goal scorer and my slapshot is crap but I consider myself pretty good at defense.

My goal is to get a good slapshot going so I can cause more trouble from the point.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Breakin in the skates, killed my feet friday. Less so today, they're feeling better, I can't loving figure out stopping for the life of me. Got 2 hours skating time on the new skates, hopefully after next two times out they'll be broken in :) I think I'm going to have to get one of my buddies to help me out.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Alizee posted:

Breakin in the skates, killed my feet friday. Less so today, they're feeling better, I can't loving figure out stopping for the life of me. Got 2 hours skating time on the new skates, hopefully after next two times out they'll be broken in :) I think I'm going to have to get one of my buddies to help me out.

Did you get then baked?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Nah, just breaking them in myself.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Scored a goal tonight in almost the exact same way Max Lappiere scored the other night.

Except mine wasnt a game winner :(

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Is there a significant difference in quality between the Vapor X-40s and X-30s? The price gap is huge, but I want a pair of pants that will last me like, a decade, so it might be worth the investment.

radbeard
Oct 22, 2010

Aggro posted:

Is there a significant difference in quality between the Vapor X-40s and X-30s? The price gap is huge, but I want a pair of pants that will last me like, a decade, so it might be worth the investment.

The X40's are made of better materials and provide much better protection but I doubt either would last you a decade.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Eh, I've gotten almost eight years out of the pair I have now, and they're still functional, although the gaps in padding are becoming more and more of an issue. I'll see if I can take a look at them at the one proshop within 40 miles of Miami.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

I might be free, what time?

I'm meeting Gabe Desjardins at like 6:30 in Mountain View.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

After spending the last year doing learn-to-plays, stick-n-pucks, scrimmages and pickups, I finally played in my first official league game tonight. It was a loving blast! I can't describe how much fun it was, but I don't have to because all of you already know.

I was subbing for a shorthanded team and played D. Unfortunately the rosters are all full, but since people are gone a lot in the summer I should be able to get a lot more work before it's all over. I'm just sorry I never picked it up any sooner in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

Or you could put skate guards on your blades.

Or if you are cheap, hockey socks stretched over the blades.