Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd like to see Hugo Blick get more work off the back off it, but Shadow Line is shaping up to be a complete, contained work of art. Any continuation of it would mar it, no matter how fun watching Gatehouse settle a new upset each week would be.
Also, I feel dumb to ask this, but can somebody explain to me what the plan was in the final scene? I presume she meant to kill him ("all over in a heartbeat") with whatever was in the needle, and was connecting herself to the cardiogram so no alarms would go off when the poison went to work. If it had all gone to plan, how long did she plan to hang around providing a heartbeat for a dead man? Why was it that necessary at all, as nothing immediately happened when she got the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The problem with a show like shadow line is that it really expects you to figure things out for yourself and doesnt tell you outright what happened, but from what i saw the device was to either completely mimic a heartbeat or just to stop there being any noticable change from whatever was in the needle. It could either be a real poison or just something that induces a coma. Whatever it is, shes as good as dead really.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely going to give Shadow Line the benefit of the doubt here, since it hasn't taken a wrong step at all yet, so I'm assuming that we'll find out what her deal was next week when they wrap everything up. Otherwise, her function certainly seems a little shoehorned in. Regardless of that, another fantastic episode. Lots of Gatehouse, but no Jay unfortunately, so it kind of balances out.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Zorba the Greek posted:

I have to agree with some of you guys man, Mock the Week is so bloody poo poo now. Andy Parsons has actually got worse if that's even possible.

All he does is shout and laugh at his own jokes :(

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Well, he is right. But yeah. Let's end the derail.

I have to agree with some of you guys man, Mock the Week is so bloody poo poo now. Andy Parsons has actually got worse if that's even possible.

How Can I. Get Even. Worse. Surely. It's All Down To. The lovely Audience. Just. Laughing At. Everything I Say. I Blame Them. Because. My lovely Schtick. Hasn't Changed In Years!

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Kin posted:

How Can I. Get Even. Worse. Surely. It's All Down To. The lovely Audience. Just. Laughing At. Everything I Say. I Blame Them. Because. My lovely Schtick. Hasn't Changed In Years!

Now. :shepface:

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Kin posted:

I have laughed at exactly 1 thing Andy Parson has said.

As it it playing as I type this, the radio 4 extra advert is awful and I have to mute it when it comes on.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Of all the terrible, terrible comedians, Andy Parsons is the only one who makes me go "How the gently caress are you getting paid to be on telly? Seriously?".

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

ScipioAfro posted:

I have laughed at exactly 1 thing Andy Parson has said.

As it it playing as I type this, the radio 4 extra advert is awful and I have to mute it when it comes on.

Apparently he used to write for Spitting Image.

There was a program on Radio 4 that I heard a couple of times late at night, and I genuinely thought that the person performing in it was actually doing a parody of a standup comedian. The 'highlight'of his act was him saying "kitkat chunky" in a Birmingham accent over and over.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't recognise that one, any other details you can provide? Just like tv, some of the BBCs radio comedy output is bloody awful.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

goatface posted:

Don't recognise that one, any other details you can provide? Just like tv, some of the BBCs radio comedy output is bloody awful.

Yeah I don't think he's very well known (if at all), I can't remember his name. The shows were only 15 minutes long as well perhaps indicating his fame.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I know everyone avoids ITV, but I was pleasantly surprised (and hooked) by Injustice. It starts off as a meandering, slow moving crime drama and turns a whole lot better and sinister after a couple of episodes. The final episode was on tonight and my only reaction, in a good way, is :psyduck:

It was on every evening this week at 9pm, and I recommend giving it a watch.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Andy Parsons always has the expression of a toddler who has just done his first poo poo in a potty, and is looking for praise from a neglectful parent.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I had to google Andy Parsons to find out who he was after the above comments and now I have a name to put to that annoying voice on some Radio 4 programs ive heard over the years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metrication posted:

Apparently he used to write for Spitting Image.

If it is the Spitting Image post 1990 I think we found who ruined it for us.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

He's the only "comedian" who is more annoying than Michael McIntyre.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it is the Spitting Image post 1990 I think we found who ruined it for us.

Just found an article on a forum, here's a couple of excerpts:

quote:

MOCK The Week star Andy Parsons cut his teeth in the world of TV comedy writing for Spitting Image in the 1990s

quote:

If a comedian just talks about relationships, he could do the same stuff night after night," continues the 41-year-old who was the main writer on Spitting Image

So assuming it's all factually correct...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's odd, Parson and Naylor's Pull out Sections was reasonable radio satire, and he's a guy who used to work in the footlights, so he's from the traditional good route.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lady Galaga posted:

The problem with a show like shadow line is that it really expects you to figure things out for yourself and doesnt tell you outright what happened, but from what i saw the device was to either completely mimic a heartbeat or just to stop there being any noticable change from whatever was in the needle. It could either be a real poison or just something that induces a coma. Whatever it is, shes as good as dead really.

I thought she went in to poison him with a poison that caused an aneurysm or something but left the heart pumping long enough for the poisoner to escape. I thought the whole deal with the different heart monitors was so that the nurse would avoid noticing the sharp spike in the heart monitor. Or perhaps the poison did kill but the heart beat was monitored long enough for it to keep the rhythm, which would be a twist on the old 'record a cctv image and play it back through the camera', without the cup falling off a desk or something else redundant

Nice scene all the same. Reminded me a bit of Hannibal Lecter. Perhaps instead of recommending british comedies to people who like The Inbetweeners we should just say watch The Shadow Line.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Brown Moses posted:

He's the only "comedian" who is more annoying than Michael McIntyre.

There are certain things you just cannot disagree with.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If there was an episode of QI with David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, and Andy Parsons I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Would just like to declare how unfunny I find Frankie Boyle as we're naming terrible comedians.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The tide seems to have really turned on Frankie Boyle. I remember when everyone thought he was hot poo poo, now everyone rolls their eyes as soon as his name comes up. I always thought he was okay on panel shows, but his stand up has always been just awful, "LOOK HOW OFFENSIVE I AM!", poo poo.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Brown Moses posted:

If there was an episode of QI with David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, and Andy Parsons I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Are you lumping Parsons in with the other two? :mad:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Brown Moses posted:

Thankfully Andy Parsons is too stupid to ever be on QI.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Are you lumping Parsons in with the other two? :mad:

He is saying that Andy Parsons is so bad that even if the best thing ever happened, Andy Parsons is enough to make you turn off.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Exactly, it's like having a huge bowl of trifle with a fleck of poo poo on top. Even though it's a tiny little fleck it still ruins the whole trifle.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

fuf posted:

Thankfully Andy Parsons is too stupid to ever be on QI.

I'm positive I've seen him on there making GBS threads it up in the past.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Crackerman posted:

The tide seems to have really turned on Frankie Boyle. I remember when everyone thought he was hot poo poo, now everyone rolls their eyes as soon as his name comes up. I always thought he was okay on panel shows, but his stand up has always been just awful, "LOOK HOW OFFENSIVE I AM!", poo poo.

His awful Channel 4 show did him no favours at all. Here's a fun game, let's compare Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights with Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Or not. I might be being harsh, I'm not sure I actually got through an entire episode of Tramdol Nights.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I think Tramadol Nights was actually the final nail in the coffin. Has he even been on TV since that aired?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Crackerman posted:

The tide seems to have really turned on Frankie Boyle.

He was great on Mock The Week. He made Mock the Week good.

Then you saw him on other shows doing standup and it was the same jokes without the apparent spontaneity that made him good on MtW.
It felt like he was coming up with material for MtW then just lumped it all together as a routine and it just didn't work when out of context without the riffing between the other comedians.

Then he did his own show and, well, we all know how that turned out.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

That's the frustrating thing - he's obviously witty which is why he's fun to watch on panel shows. But given his own platform he's just lazy as poo poo and it gets painfully tedious. It's almost like he doesn't understand why he's funny when he is.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Absolutely.

Incideantlly I read his terrible autobiography and I don't think he particularly cares for comedy or being a comedian and has made hints that he would quit soon....we can hope.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ben Soosneb posted:

His awful Channel 4 show did him no favours at all. Here's a fun game, let's compare Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights with Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Or not. I might be being harsh, I'm not sure I actually got through an entire episode of Tramdol Nights.

That is actually a pretty spot on comparison. They represent diametrically opposed schools of comedy. Boyle being the 'edgy' school of bullying, valueless, just plain nasty dross that is so popular in America, and Lee being comedy as an insightful, intelligent, art from.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

reality_groove posted:

Absolutely.

Incideantlly I read his terrible autobiography and I don't think he particularly cares for comedy or being a comedian and has made hints that he would quit soon....we can hope.

It looks like that's exactly what's happened.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That Prince Philip interview really was glorious. What a bunch of loving asinine questions.

"How do you view yourself now?"
"... I don't"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Metrication posted:

There was a program on Radio 4 that I heard a couple of times late at night, and I genuinely thought that the person performing in it was actually doing a parody of a standup comedian. The 'highlight'of his act was him saying "kitkat chunky" in a Birmingham accent over and over.

You're probably thinking of Andrew Lawrence, who is a bit like Andy Parsons, but actually funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAs0kXpKn_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXn5hvFQysA

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2011

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I like Frankie Boyle, I get fed up of the whole "OH SO EDGY" poo poo people come up with when they don't like his stuff. Tramadol Nights was poo poo however, though I enjoyed the stand up dvd the content was taken from. (I also like Stewart Lee and could listen for hours while he made up stories about being screwed over by Tories).

Also, The Shadow Line, all I can say is thank you goons for suggesting this. Amazing show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ddraig posted:

That Prince Philip interview really was glorious. What a bunch of loving asinine questions.

"How do you view yourself now?"
"... I don't"

Yeah, she's meant to be one of BBC News' best and brightest, and she had rings run round her by a 90 year old.

She didn't even ask the basic question you should ask all really old people... what he thought were the best and worst changes to our society in his lifetime. No, she wanted to know if he was treated as an outsider when he married into a family he had known for most of his life.

The only parts of that programme that weren't utterly thoughtless were when he opened his mouth. Which given his reputation, is pretty damning of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Metrication posted:

Would just like to declare how unfunny I find Frankie Boyle as we're naming terrible comedians.

Wait, this is my opportunity to ask all Britons: does everyone hate Johnny Vegas as much as me, or is that only because I'm American and find his voice like sandpaper to my eardrums?

If he's as bad as I think everyone should think he is, where exactly is his accent from so I can avoid it at all costs?