Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

toadee posted:

An attempt to save the rest of my Overalls

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14906729&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95

I'd say 1931 Hornsby had a good day at the plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

toadee posted:

An attempt to save the rest of my Overalls

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14906729&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95
I guess pitchers cap at 255 pitches? If you add up the walks, hits and outs he had to have thrown more. I guess they're shot at that point anyway so it doesn't matter much.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Well he's going again in pm1, this time start at 6% rest instead of 55. Against all Jimmie Foxx's! Let see if they can score 200 runs!

My pythag went from .568 to .470 in 1 game.

e: That game took '31 Hornsby from .308/.400/.462 to .381/.480/.857

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

I guess pitchers cap at 255 pitches? If you add up the walks, hits and outs he had to have thrown more. I guess they're shot at that point anyway so it doesn't matter much.

I'd assume that pitch count is saved as a tinyint in the database, which has a max size of 255 which would cause this to happen.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

toadee posted:

Well he's going again in pm1, this time start at 6% rest instead of 55.

Are injuries on?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Are injuries on?

I seriously doubt it given the am game. Confirmed they are off.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Are injuries on?

No. I thought it best to not turn them on. I don't believe tdoak had them on either.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So, in order to get out of the 'sacrifice mopup' mode, I have to set someone else in the rotation. I'm worried though, will Sparky relieve for them even if they don't have relief checked? I need 200 runs!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure what you're asking. Is your plan to put another Orval into the rotation and have him pitch the complete game as well?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Is your plan to put another Orval into the rotation and have him pitch the complete game as well?

No, I just want mopup Orvall to do a complete game now, but I need to have another Orval in the rotation to avoid continuing to use the mopup. Will Spraky relieve the mopup guy for the one who is in the rotation (everyone else is on rest), even though he is not set as 'use in relief', when the mop up Orval lets up 1000 runs?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He shouldn't but you should know with Sparky that there is never a definitive answer.

Still, I'd put it at about .001% that Sparky puts in your next Orval.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Welp, RC&C is all down to 9-9 1981 Atlee Hammaker going up against 8-19 1996 Schilling for me. It would just be a microcosm of the season for Schilling to shut my offense down.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Welp, RC&C is all down to 9-9 1981 Atlee Hammaker going up against 8-19 1996 Schilling for me. It would just be a microcosm of the season for Schilling to shut my offense down.

I have 15-14 1971 Gary Nolan going against 17-19 1967 Gaylord Perry. I need a win for sure. Otherwise, it's lose the division or we're in a playoff.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

champs and chumps, season 5!
http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=18&TopicID=440361&page=-1&TopicsTimeframe=30#postBox

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Doc did it again :stare:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

I have 15-14 1971 Gary Nolan going against 17-19 1967 Gaylord Perry. I need a win for sure. Otherwise, it's lose the division or we're in a playoff.

:(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In the playoffs with an 80-82 record, geez. It was really close from wire to wire, although I'm really hoping I can get some Seattle Seahawks magic going in the playoffs.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Doc did it again :stare:

:argh:

I'll get you next time, Gadget, next tiiiiime

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, my champs and chumps team years are

1987 NL
1986 NL
1999 AL
2004 AL

Obviously 99AL are my champs, because of Pedro, Manny, Nomar, Robby Alomar, and Mariano Rivera. From there, the pitching gets a little iffy. I could do 87 Nolan Ryan, but i've never used him before and the walks kinda scare me. I guess I could use Mike Scott, too.

1986 Tim Raines is going to rule!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

I'll get you next time, Gadget, next tiiiiime

You won the division anyway :shobon:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Here's the team so far, i'm thinking of putting Dale Murphy at 1st because of DINGERS

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I won my first game ever :unsmith:

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14914682&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jefferson, any interest in playing our RC&C playoff series live?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Holy cow my pitching options for the new RC&C are Real Bad. This is probably going to be the most offense-oriented team I've built for the theme.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Power of Pecota posted:

Jefferson, any interest in playing our RC&C playoff series live?

Under consideration but it wouldn't be until tonight either way.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Under consideration

:monocle:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Groucho on pace to start his WIS career at 162-0. No doubt he'll pull it off.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

How do you make a 2-man rotation work early in a season? Ed Walsh has plenty of innings (495) to support his role and only threw 6 innings and 100 pitches in his first game, but he'll be starting the third game of this season at 65%. Having never used a 2-man rotation, are there some tweaks I should have made?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

AlleyViper posted:

Groucho on pace to start his WIS career at 162-0. No doubt he'll pull it off.

I knew Todd Coffey's Ultimate Warrior spirit would come in handy in a Macho Man tribute league

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ivan Drago posted:

How do you make a 2-man rotation work early in a season? Ed Walsh has plenty of innings (495) to support his role and only threw 6 innings and 100 pitches in his first game, but he'll be starting the third game of this season at 65%. Having never used a 2-man rotation, are there some tweaks I should have made?

It's early, just pull him back a few pitches.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

How do you make a 2-man rotation work early in a season?

It's usually a good idea to have a swing man for the few times your two-man won't have a fair amount of stamina to make a start. Something like I did with Highball Wilson in S15. Even better if it's someone you can reliably use in relief as well ('40 Tiny Bonham is great in that role).

Without someone to make some spot starts you'll just have to do like EB said and just let 'em go. Pull them back a few pitches until they get back around 100% but they will before long.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In RC&C for next season I got 1983 AL and 1962 NL again. For two years in a row.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

In RC&C for next season I got 1983 AL and 1962 NL again. For two years in a row.

TOMMY DAVIS

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I think I'm going to have to go 1997 NL for Champs with Bonds/Walker/Maddux/Piazza/Biggio/Bagwell, even though my single best pitching season is '97 Pedro.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Both are 99 champs. I tried to do champs for a different year, but it was terrible. So which of these is better. (imagine largely the same bench and relievers for the 2nd)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm pretty happy with how my team turned out, for the most part, I just need to figure out a home park.

Turk Farrell's going to suck, it's too bad I couldn't incorporate '97 Pedro, '67 Horlen, or '62 Koufax due to chumps/champs status. There's going to be a hilarious amount of micromanagement necessary for the rotation, but whatever.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

oh my!
http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14924243&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You call this a playoff game?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Jefferson, you've got 86AL, you pretty much have to make them your champs. Roger Clemens and a crazy Wade Boggs season, Also an 86 steal Rickey season and a pretty good Mike Witt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ArtVandelay posted:

Jefferson, you've got 86AL, you pretty much have to make them your champs. Roger Clemens and a crazy Wade Boggs season, Also an 86 steal Rickey season and a pretty good Mike Witt.

I haven't had a chance to even check, but I'll take a look tonight maybe during the UFC card.

• Locked thread