Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I cant say enough good things about the new Bauer skates, my one100's are fantastic.

The inner vertexx cowling cracked on mine after taking a direct and very hard slapshot but they've stood up fine for anyone else. I know most NHL goalies dont have the cutout + carbon but it still has the angle. Theres some NHL'ers that keep it stock. I'll probably replace them with the stock cowling since I cant see that happening again. The non stockers might be using different boots though, I know Timmy T is in the MLX boot + modified one100 cowling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

I know most NHL goalies dont have the cutout + carbon but it still has the angle.

How much did you notice the better angle with the new Bauers? The blades on my 852s are nearing the end of their life within a year so I'm starting to look at cowling replacement vs new skate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bradf0rd posted:

How much did you notice the better angle with the new Bauers? The blades on my 852s are nearing the end of their life within a year so I'm starting to look at cowling replacement vs new skate.

I think its huge, the added height + the cutout/angle has 100% eliminated slip outs when pushing across the crease when down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is the only thing holding me back from buying some lovely pair of skates+cowlings and doing a swap. I really really want the One100 cowlings but every time I throw them in my Goaliemonkey basket I am incredibly put off by the $30-something shipping and what I know will be a buttraping at the boder.

Actually I wish they sold the One60/One80 cowlings without the cutout, but it appears I can't buy those anywhere, and every store I've asked said they can't source them.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

This is the only thing holding me back from buying some lovely pair of skates+cowlings and doing a swap. I really really want the One100 cowlings but every time I throw them in my Goaliemonkey basket I am incredibly put off by the $30-something shipping and what I know will be a buttraping at the boder.

Actually I wish they sold the One60/One80 cowlings without the cutout, but it appears I can't buy those anywhere, and every store I've asked said they can't source them.

The One80's are drat near the same arent they? Rougher fabric on the exterior of the skate boot (shouldnt matter), no foot vents, and then the blade is just 4mm vs 3mm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the One80 and One60 are the same cowling, as you described. The blade is a different material and thicker, no vertex cutout, and whatever other bullshit that probably doesn't matter. I'm curious why nobody can seem to source this, other than maybe Bauer isn't interested in supplying these as consumable parts.

I'm on a really (really) tight budget, to the point where $30 shipping is literally stopping me from ordering the One100s from goaliemonkey or I'd be on board the Bauer train right now.

I'm thinking about selling my old Battram gloves to make up some of the difference, but I'm having a real hard time letting them go for sentimental reasons :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 10, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Martytoof posted:

I think the One80 and One60 are the same cowling, as you described. The blade is a different material and thicker, no vertex cutout, and whatever other bullshit that probably doesn't matter. I'm curious why nobody can seem to source this, other than maybe Bauer isn't interested in supplying these as consumable parts.
No no, One80 has the same cowling as the One100. I coulda sworn we went over this, like, 16 pages ago. Come on marty, get your head in the game. :smug:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I really want to try the Bauer skates but right now I am perfectly fine with my Grafs. Anyone know if the Bauers are lighter than Grafs in general? My Grafs feel pretty drat heavy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

coldwind posted:

No no, One80 has the same cowling as the One100. I coulda sworn we went over this, like, 16 pages ago. Come on marty, get your head in the game. :smug:

Haha drat I'm out of it lately.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

titanium posted:

I think its huge, the added height + the cutout/angle has 100% eliminated slip outs when pushing across the crease when down.

Is that only in the One100 LE or the other, non-white version as well?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Surfing Turtle posted:

I really want to try the Bauer skates but right now I am perfectly fine with my Grafs. Anyone know if the Bauers are lighter than Grafs in general? My Grafs feel pretty drat heavy.

My grafs are lighter than my bauers, but also bulkier.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys really feel the difference in weight as far as skates go? I can't say I even notice my big heavy KoHos on my feet.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys really feel the difference in weight as far as skates go? I can't say I even notice my big heavy KoHos on my feet.

The biggest thing I noticed switching from Bauer to Graf was the higher ankle support and the the Graf just being bulkier. As far as weight and blade and all that poo poo it was a pretty seamless transition.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
There was a huge different in blade feel between my old Bauer somethings and my Grafs. I was toe picking constantly while I got used to it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I havent had a chance to compare weigh to other goalie skates yet but they do seem heavy. My only other comparison to a goalie skate are my roller skates and theyre obviously going to be heavier cause of the wheels and stuff.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ManicJason posted:

There was a huge different in blade feel between my old Bauer somethings and my Grafs. I was toe picking constantly while I got used to it.

How old Bauers are we talking? It took me maybe half a practice to make the switch.

edit: If you want to talk a hard transition I play out in roller and going from mid line Bauers to top of the line missions was like going from combat boots to rocket shoes. Man did those things add some speed

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think blade feel and even the angle at which new skates are cut will throw anyone off for a short while. I know my skates felt completely different after I had them profiled after like a year of skating. They felt just different enough that it was noticeable.

Also it's funny you mention ankle support because I found I played much much better when I stopped tying up my KoHos to the last set of holes and ended like two below that. Not as much ankle support, but I could get better angles and a wider butterfly. Not sure if that's a good thing for my ankles, but I've been doing it for three or four years now with no problem.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I feel like I get stronger pushes with more ankle support, but I can see what you mean by the flexibility.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it might also be more important now that I have very little blade left. Once I swap out a pair I'll try doing them up higher once more just to see.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I havent had a chance to compare weigh to other goalie skates yet but they do seem heavy. My only other comparison to a goalie skate are my roller skates and theyre obviously going to be heavier cause of the wheels and stuff.

I know that my Graf G50s are on the heavier side. I don't mind it, because the skates skates fit well, but I could see how a lighter skate could be nice. Whenever I end up needing to replace my cowlings, I'm debating keeping the Graf boots and getting One100 or similar cowlings to create a frankenskate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Bradf0rd posted:

Is that only in the One100 LE or the other, non-white version as well?

You'll notice it in the One80 One100 and One100LE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5hALHEg234&feature=related

The One100LE just looks sexy otherwise they're the same as the standard One100.

Weights pretty negligible imo, the differences arent huge but they're there. Very doubtful you'll notice or care after using them. I went form a size 10.5 standard skate to a size 9 wide which I should have been all along so I did notice a lot between my One95' and One100's but most of that i'm sure is sizing. The One100's (possibly all of the current gen bauers) also have a shorter skate blade with slightly more than standard radius which supposedly makes it easier to pivot. If you're on a budget I'd recommend the One80 if you have the money get the One100/LE.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Doesn't ASU run two teams, like a D1 and a D2 or something?

I doubt we would play the D1 team, but I guess the D2 team is possible. I'd imagine we're gonna stay reasonably local (we're in socal) since there are a lot of teams around here.

I'm not sure if ASU still has there D2 team? They were in our conference up until this year (Pac 8) and we retripped out to play them last year, but for some reason they weren't in our conference any more this year (and I was too lazy to find out why). If you can get your team out there, it's a fun place to party, though.

Also, if you're looking to set up games with UCLA let me know and I can get you the team president's contact info.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Funkutron5000 posted:

I'm not sure if ASU still has there D2 team? They were in our conference up until this year (Pac 8) and we retripped out to play them last year, but for some reason they weren't in our conference any more this year (and I was too lazy to find out why). If you can get your team out there, it's a fun place to party, though.

Also, if you're looking to set up games with UCLA let me know and I can get you the team president's contact info.

Yeah PM me the email or something and I'll let our coach/captain know.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 10, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Funkutron5000 posted:

ASU still has a DII team. There isn't anything on their site about the DIII team, but it's possible that they just use that as a development squad. If you play at ASU, we do have nicer rinks in town than Oceanside, but they're close to ASU and were willing to the give the team their own locker room.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Okay last vid from these skate sessions. This is all from the 3v3 mini tournament we played. I cant stand not playing in a standard crease or not having posts. Other side had posts but none on mine. "my" team won the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxRkvGazo0

Big right after the 1:05 mark.

I'll keep bringing my cam to skates and probably stick to the in goal cam. Hope you guys enjoy them, let me know if they become annoying or lose value.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

titanium posted:

let me know if they become annoying or lose value.

Not even close. You don't see too much footage from that angle, so I love it.

It was nice seeing you actually make mistakes in this video for a change.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, seriously. The footage from on your helmet seemed a little gimmicky inasmuch as I'm not sure it would be a huge help from a review perspective, but the in-net cam is pretty much perfect. I can't get enough of it :3:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Okay last vid from these skate sessions. This is all from the 3v3 mini tournament we played. I cant stand not playing in a standard crease or not having posts. Other side had posts but none on mine. "my" team won the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XxRkvGazo0

I'll keep bringing my cam to skates and probably stick to the in goal cam. Hope you guys enjoy them, let me know if they become annoying or lose value.

I really like this perspective, since it gives me a chance to watch your footwork and especially see what you're doing when you butterfly slide. It seems like you were getting killed on rebounds, but those short area games are tiring and it didn't seem like your D was doing much to help clear rebounds.

I also noticed that one of the guys that you're playing against, Nick Bjugstad, is going to the USA Hockey junior evaluation camp. I guess that isn't too surprising, but it's cool that he's training against you to get ready for that.

It's probably just the facial hair, but you look a bit like Jared Allen at the end of the video.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

Not even close. You don't see too much footage from that angle, so I love it.

It was nice seeing you actually make mistakes in this video for a change.

Hahah yeah, no posts + different perspective drives me nuts. If my pegs get loose on a normal spot i start getting agitated, I love to push off those posts. I'll keep with the in goal cam then, I need to try getting it lower in net so you can see the line.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Hell yeah, finally got my first shutout tonight on the last game of the season. It's pretty damned easy to get one when your team dominates in the offensive zone and whenever the other team does get the puck they can't really get any clean shots.

Now hopefully next season will be even better.

Also titanium the goal cam stuff is so awesome I think I may go buy one of the GoProHD's to try filming myself in a similar fashion so I can try to get some pointers on how I'm doing because I know for certain things I'm awful.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Hahah yeah, no posts + different perspective drives me nuts. If my pegs get loose on a normal spot i start getting agitated, I love to push off those posts. I'll keep with the in goal cam then, I need to try getting it lower in net so you can see the line.

How do you attach the camera to the net and has it taken any direct impacts yet? I'm toying with the idea of picking one of these up, but given how shooters love to aim for water bottles, I can only imagine what they would if they noticed a camera in the net. Though I guess watching videos of me using horrible footwork and making slow recoveries would be good motivation to step up my game.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
real_scud congrats on the shutout, even if your team is dominating its a bit of a hard mental exercise when you're not seeing action for that long.

Aniki I'm using

and wrapping it around the net up top and it dangles. Next time I'm going to try mid net and see how it goes. I think a few of those pucks may have made a direct impact but since it swinging the cam can take it. The reason I didnt go lower in net is because I ended up busting one of the latches on that mount when trying to make it work on my helmet before using the full head strap deal. At worst the mounts will bust and those are cheap enough.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

real_scud congrats on the shutout, even if your team is dominating its a bit of a hard mental exercise when you're not seeing action for that long.

Aniki I'm using

and wrapping it around the net up top and it dangles. Next time I'm going to try mid net and see how it goes. I think a few of those pucks may have made a direct impact but since it swinging the cam can take it. The reason I didnt go lower in net is because I ended up busting one of the latches on that mount when trying to make it work on my helmet before using the full head strap deal. At worst the mounts will bust and those are cheap enough.

I noticed that they sell antifog inserts for the Go Pro HD have you needed those at all or does it work fine without them? I think that camera is a pretty interesting idea, I'm just trying to figure out if I'd use it enough for it to be worth while.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

titanium posted:

drat man that was a robbery! Keep the vids coming, they are awesome (and make me realise how much I suck haha).

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Yeah PM me the email or something and I'll let our coach/captain know.

I don't have PM. Email me at corova@gmail.com and I'll send you back the info.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We won our game 5-3 tonight. My team dominated most of the night and there were some long stretches between shots, but the shots they had were quality shots. They got really aggressive in the last few minutes and I had a stretch where I made a butterfly save, they recovered the rebound, then I made a kick save out of a half butterfly, and then I followed it up with back to back blocker saves that I directed to the corner.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 12, 2011

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We had enough skaters for 4-on-4 with subs this morning and it was still a pretty fast skate with some good shooters. Due to how open the ice was, I had to make a lot of lateral movement, so there were tons of butterfly slides today. One thing that I'm starting to wonder about is what is the best stick placement on a butterfly slide? I know that just trying to cover the 5-hole is pretty standard, but what about having the the heel of the stick adjacent to your lead pad with the stick jutting out at a 90 degree angle? There's certainly situations where it wouldn't work (e.g. shooter is behind you), but if the shooter is in tight and you are moving cross crease, then it would have the benefits of taking the 5-hole out of the equation, blocking a potential passing lane, and making it difficult for the shooter to change directions on you.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but it sounds like the position you're suggesting leaves a lot of five hole open and potentially redirects pucks through your five-hole that weren't even on net. I've been taught to keep the stick basically in the same place as your stance, just a little farther out from your body since your blocker is down tight to your side. You should still be able to deflect passes across.

As for defending lateral movement, there's not much you can do other than don't be afraid to poke check once they get within range. You don't have to slide your hand up the shaft at all if you are just going for a quick jab in close.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but it sounds like the position you're suggesting leaves a lot of five hole open and potentially redirects pucks through your five-hole that weren't even on net. I've been taught to keep the stick basically in the same place as your stance, just a little farther out from your body since your blocker is down tight to your side. You should still be able to deflect passes across.

As for defending lateral movement, there's not much you can do other than don't be afraid to poke check once they get within range. You don't have to slide your hand up the shaft at all if you are just going for a quick jab in close.

Think of a situation where the shooter is going cross crease and he's ahead of you. You push with your trailing leg and go into a butterfly slide. If you use traditional stick placement covering your 5-hole, it would look like this:

/-\

If you use the stick placement that I mentioned, then it would look like this:

|
/ \

Since the shooter would be ahead of you in this situation, then having the heel of your stick adjacent to your lead pad would take away the 5-hole. Yes, your 5-hole would technically be open, but it would be in a position where the shooter couldn't hit it and you'd still bring your knees together like in a normal butterfly slide.

I think that this would only work for plays where the shooter is in tight and is ahead of you, but my thought is that the second stick placement would take away more useable area for the shooter, while still taking the 5-hole out of play. If the shooter were behind your or had more space to work with than the traditional stick placement would be better.

That reminds that I had one cool player where the shooter was going cross crease and he was ahead of me heading towards the blocker side, I slide to the post, closed my knees, and used a sweeping motion with my stick to knock the puck off of his stick. I seem to have trouble with tradtional poke checks, but if the shooter gets to my blocker side, then I am really good at doing a "sweep" check with the blade of my stick. For better or worse, it also seems to be my strongest move on breakaways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm still not 100% clear, but it seems like a terrible idea. I'd keep a traditional stick placement and just work in some more pokes if you feel exotic.

That sweep check is used by a lot of guys on wraparounds to the blocker side. I haven't used it much.

• Locked thread