Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blight
Jan 17, 2011
I think I've noticed one error in the books. In POA Hermoine says it's her birthday in september, so her parents gave her money to buy something.
In the last book it's pretty clear that they're only waiting for Harry to get old enough, so they can "run away". Seems weird if Hermoine's not old enough at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blight posted:

I think I've noticed one error in the books. In POA Hermoine says it's her birthday in september, so her parents gave her money to buy something.
In the last book it's pretty clear that they're only waiting for Harry to get old enough, so they can "run away". Seems weird if Hermoine's not old enough at the time.

She could be a year older then Harry. Hermoine parents properly held her back a year, or just at the cut off.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

She could be a year older then Harry. Hermoine parents properly held her back a year, or just at the cut off.

Still weird. If that's the case, it should be mentioned. Anyhow, does anyone know what Lupins middlename is? R.J Lupin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blight posted:

Still weird. If that's the case, it should be mentioned. Anyhow, does anyone know what Lupins middlename is? R.J Lupin.

JK Rowlings said she was born in 79 and Harry in 80

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Hermione is almost a year older than Harry (you need to be 11 to get into Hogwarts), Lupin's middle name is John

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
One thing that always bothered me about the fifth book is how the ministry explained the death of Cedric Diggory. If he wasn't killed by Voldemort according to them how did they explain it? Always seemed like a massive plot hole to me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Double Happiness posted:

One thing that always bothered me about the fifth book is how the ministry explained the death of Cedric Diggory. If he wasn't killed by Voldemort according to them how did they explain it? Always seemed like a massive plot hole to me.
I suppose they could have said any number of things--the tournament was crazy dangerous already, I think people would take his death at face value when it happened in a tournament where he's already been in a dogfight with a dragon and been attacked by merpeople under the lake.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Double Happiness posted:

In accident in the maze. They said that nobody saw what happened there where people getting injured and there was a dark wizard there. If not an accident then the Doctor killed him. Remember Umbridge said it was an accident and the Minister thought it was just The Doctor causing problems.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

bobkatt013 posted:

In accident in the maze. They said that nobody saw what happened there where people getting injured and there was a dark wizard there. If not an accident then the Doctor killed him. Remember Umbridge said it was an accident and the Minister thought it was just The Doctor causing problems.

Have you accidentally got things muddled up with Who? Don't recall a Doctor anywhere in these books.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
David Tennant played Crouch Jr in the Goblet of Fire.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Speaking of plot holes, it always bothered me that Ginny's eyes changed colors halfway through the books. It's not a huge issue, but it seems like J.K.'s editor should have caught that, what with how hugely famous the books became.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Speaking of plot holes, it always bothered me that Ginny's eyes changed colors halfway through the books. It's not a huge issue, but it seems like J.K.'s editor should have caught that, what with how hugely famous the books became.

Er, what? I'm pretty sure her eyes are brown all the way through. What did they change from/to?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Zore posted:

Er, what? I'm pretty sure her eyes are brown all the way through. What did they change from/to?

In the second book, it describes her as having green eyes. I haven't got a copy in front of me; I'll post a quote later today.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

No, you are wrong. In Chamber of Secrets Harry is described as having green eyes, Dobby is described as having green eyes, and Ginny is described as having brown eyes:

Chamber of Secrets, The Burrow posted:

They slipped out of the kitchen and down a narrow passageway to an uneven staircase, which wound its way, zigzagging up through the house. On the third landing, a door stood ajar. Harry just caught sight of a pair of bright brown eyes staring at him before it closed with a snap.

"Ginny," said Ron. "You don't know how weird it is for her to be this shy. She never shuts up normally -"

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Oh poo poo. You got Reflir involved... he's the King Nerd of Harry Potter quoting. Argument over, move on.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

reflir posted:

No, you are wrong. In Chamber of Secrets Harry is described as having green eyes, Dobby is described as having green eyes, and Ginny is described as having brown eyes:

My mistake, I am apparently just delusional

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Anyone have a clue what this Pottermore (https://www.pottermore.com) business is? The Scottish book?

Been a lot of news about it on fan sites and website just says 'Coming Soon' with no indication of when.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Anyone have a clue what this Pottermore (https://www.pottermore.com) business is? The Scottish book?

Been a lot of news about it on fan sites and website just says 'Coming Soon' with no indication of when.
This website: http://harrypotterforum.com/discussion/1809/pottermore/p1 says that the patent that the name "Pottermore" is registered under is the same patent types as the other titles in the series, indicating that it's likely another book. That's just an indication though (and I might be reading it wrong, English doesn't seem to be this person's first language), but there doesn't seem to be anything more solid to go on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This website: http://harrypotterforum.com/discussion/1809/pottermore/p1 says that the patent that the name "Pottermore" is registered under is the same patent types as the other titles in the series, indicating that it's likely another book. That's just an indication though (and I might be reading it wrong, English doesn't seem to be this person's first language), but there doesn't seem to be anything more solid to go on.

Could it be the Harry Potter encyclopedia?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Every fan site is picking up the story. It's quite exciting. I've heard rumours including encyclopedia, a new book, a new series, a HP MMORPG, a HP social networking site (god that's boring, I hope that's not it) and more.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yep.

It's a loving social networking site.

:sigh:

edit: Ok now I'm hearing those screenshots are fake

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 16, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Could it be the Harry Potter encyclopedia?
Ooh, I hope so, that would be nice. I enjoyed the Monster Book of Monsters that was released a while ago, a whole encyclopedia in that vein would be a lot of fun. Especially if it goes into details that weren't in the series instead of just a compendium of things that were.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Not a new book. Probably an MMORPG or some other internet thing. Mugglenet has these two items:

http://www.mugglenet.com/ posted:

It's official: 'Pottermore' is J.K. Rowling's next Harry Potter project!

It's been a long time coming, but the partial announcement is here: J.K. Rowling has announced that Pottermore is her next Harry Potter project.

... but what is it? We don't have an answer for that yet.

The name reveal came about letter by letter today, finally ending with an official confirmation via the launch of the official Pottermore Twitter and teaser website.

The only other information we have right now is the official logo (which you can see at this link).

I saw a preview of Pottermore recently and can tell you that it is fantastic. I'd say more but I had to make an unforgivable vow concerning its secrecy.

In the mean time: what do you think it is?

--------------

J.K. Rowling's Secret Street View

Following the completion of the seven Harry Potter books and eight films, J.K. Rowling has something new to announce. Even though this is not a new book, we have been informed it is something equally exciting.

As a teaser before the official announcement, ten letters have been hidden on the website below for you to find. To locate them you need to find ten sets of coordinates, enter them into the search box one set at a time, and take a look around.

This is the second coordinate: 51.530377,-0.123259

The rest will be revealed among nine other Harry Potter fan sites at intervals throughout the 15th and 16th of June 2011. Find the coordinates, enter them on the site below and you could be one of the first to piece the word together.

(Please note - These letters are magic, therefore do not exist in the real world...)

Good luck to you all.

https://www.secretstreetview.com

P.S.: If you're having trouble finding the clue, simply zoom in on the map so you enter the street view!

Other sites with coordinates:

- Leaky
- HarryPotter-Xperts
- ClubeDoSlugue
- Portkey
- UniversHarryPotter
- HPANA
- Snitch Seeker
- BlogHogwarts

edit: lol, 'unforgivable vow'. What a dumbass. Additionally, if it's not a book, what's the point?

reflir fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 16, 2011

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
It's kind of a dumb name, too. :(

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

The thick plottens http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces

Looking more and more like a facebook game

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004
It's an MMO, not many things more profitable then that

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I for one would play the hell out of a Hogwarts MMO. They could cash in on everyone who ever wanted to get to go pretty damned easily.

insenid
Jul 3, 2007
Specialization is for insects.
Would EA still have developing rights? Even so I'd sell my soul to Origin to play an MMO in the HP universe.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I, for one, can't wait to fail potions with Snape. :v:

Also I kinda skimmed through the thread and didn't see it raised, but did anyone else hate the quidditch sections in the books as much as I did? Basically any time a chapter about it came around I'd skip 5 pages at a time to see if it was over yet. So boring, SO BORING.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I am SO excited. I was talking with friends in IRC and we were wondering why a Harry Potter MMORPG never existed. If that's what this is, and it's even 1/4 as good as WoW I will probably lose my life. I'll be checking here for updates! I'm crazy excited to find out what this is.

Also has anyone been the Harry Potter world in Universal Studios? I want to go there badly. It's going to be m first trip once I get the money.

Edit: I'm going to laugh if the coords for the street thing spell out "Pottermore."

Midorka fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 17, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Circle Nine posted:

I, for one, can't wait to fail potions with Snape. :v:

Also I kinda skimmed through the thread and didn't see it raised, but did anyone else hate the quidditch sections in the books as much as I did? Basically any time a chapter about it came around I'd skip 5 pages at a time to see if it was over yet. So boring, SO BORING.
Haha, yeah, I felt the same way. That and when he was pining over Cho. I was just like, isn't the world's most powerful evil wizard obsessed with murdering you? What's going on with him right now?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Teenage hormones.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah, at that age girls override a lot of things, even really, really important ones.

P.S. they had better include an acceptance letter that you can fill your name out on in the packaging of this hypothetical Harry Potter MMO. I want them to go all-out in my pretend electronic fantasy.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Circle Nine posted:

I hate them too. It's pretty much the most poorly designed game ever.

Midorka posted:

Also has anyone been the Harry Potter world in Universal Studios? I want to go there badly. It's going to be m first trip once I get the money.

I have! It's fun. If you've been to Islands of Adventure before, they have a great coaster there that used to be called the Dueling Dragons. I think it's called Dragon Challenge now. Anyone older that likes roller coasters will really enjoy it, it's a good rollercoaster even without the Harry Potter theme. The other two rides are nothing special, but they built the Hogwarts castle to house one of them, and going through the line is really cool. Butterbeer tastes pretty good but is ridiculously expensive. The coolest part is the wand shop, where about 20 people at a time go in and they do a little show where one kid gets his wand. Everyone else then buys a wand because the wands look cool as hell. There are girls from Beauxbatons and dudes from Durmstrang walking around sometimes. They've got a Zonko's and a Honeydukes that are cool to look around at. I had to buy several chocolate frogs for my cousin. I had a good time, but it's best with young family members. They obviously put a lot of effort into the park, but lines are understandably quite bad, especially now during the summer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Are the wands quality? Or do they look flimsy/cheap? I want to go there so bad. How was the castle? Was there an authentic feel to it?

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

Also been there. It's really, REALLY cool. Can't comment on the lines because we went in like, December, so it really wasn't bad at all aside from the Hogwarts ride, which we went to first and waited approximately an hour for. But that was at the open of the park, and I think everyone had the same idea; we went on it two more times and the lines were approximately 10 minutes or less later on in the day.

Wands feel pretty good. I can't comment on quality versus a replica 'cause I don't have one, but they feel wooden and they definitely have more weight to them than some plastic toy. They have the typical character wands, as well as some original wands that they can "choose" for you based on your birthday I think.

The most you see of the castle is a few offices, including Dumbledore's, and it's all viewing the area from the tethered rails of the line. It does look and feel really cool though, and there are a lot of little things to see. The ride itself is pretty cool, too, but the amount of detail in the line to get there is even better.

Also, yeah, butterbeer is REALLY expensive. I did find a good recipe for it after the fact, which basically amounts to cream soda and butterscotch (Whipped Cream Vodka makes it even better)

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Midorka posted:

Are the wands quality? Or do they look flimsy/cheap? I want to go there so bad. How was the castle? Was there an authentic feel to it?

Yeah, the lines are only bad in comparison to how the park was before Harry Potter Land and in comparison to the rest of the park. The longest line is for the wand show, but it's definitely worth it.

The wands are definitely quality. I still have my Sirius Black one, they're strong wood, lots of cool designs, they're good buys. They also have a lot of nice mugs and glasses that I also bought so I can bewilder people at dinner parties.

The castle is pretty drat sweet/authentic, I didn't look around as much because the lines were not bad, but I can imagine it being very entertaining to wait through. Lots of little references and interesting things to see.

The best places for pictures are right in front of the train to Hogwarts, and drinking an actual beer in front of the butterbeer sign.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Circle Nine posted:

The Quidditch chapters are unilaterally awful.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

The best places for pictures are

clearly posing with Durmstrang and Beauxbatons thank you very much :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Midorka posted:

Edit: I'm going to laugh if the coords for the street thing spell out "Pottermore."

Wow, you're behind. They did spell out Pottermore. That's where the whole announcement came from.

goons posted:

quidditch chapters

I really liked the Quidditch chapters. Try listening to them narrated by Stephen Fry in the audiobook, it makes them way more exciting.

• Locked thread