Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sockington posted:

And your "slow" WRX was faster than your STi. Now what? :drat:

Well I suppose I'll try it out this weekend and see if its even quicker!

One thing that did interest me was the DBW tables. I've heard of Subaru saying that the throttle is about "requested torque" rather than throttle position. It's true, the entire table was set up in NM generated for a rpm/throttle opening

Next week we're looking at loading a different standard map that might do a few interesting things. The story of some cars being a bit better from the factory is quite true it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003
President - Bob Saget Fanclub
Hoping for some guidance on my new to me 2008 Impreza 2.5i.

We got it at 29,900 miles and the dealer said they did an oil change, it didn't have the maintenance schedule pamphlet or whatever in with the owners manual, so looking around online I'm seeing 3k to 7,500 miles between changes...just wondering what's best? I do about 25 miles a day on average for my commute, switching it up between freeway and side roads.

Next up, one of the maintenance guides I found said to do the fuel filter at 30k miles, another said 60k miles? Again, not sure which is better to go by, haven't seen anything to indicate a problem but we plan on keeping this a long time as I hope to replace it with a WRX for me and let the wife use this one eventually.

Last is one guide I saw said to replace the spark plugs at 30k miles which seems...wasteful I guess, not sure if that's the word I want to use, but it doesn't seem like factory plugs should need replacing at 30k miles.

I like my chances of getting decent responses here vs NASIOC for these questions, so thanks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Krobar posted:

Hoping for some guidance on my new to me 2008 Impreza 2.5i.

We got it at 29,900 miles and the dealer said they did an oil change, it didn't have the maintenance schedule pamphlet or whatever in with the owners manual, so looking around online I'm seeing 3k to 7,500 miles between changes...just wondering what's best? I do about 25 miles a day on average for my commute, switching it up between freeway and side roads.
3K sounds like the "severe service interval," which is basically what I'm on. If you're not turbocharged (which you aren't) or racing (sounds like you aren't) I wouldn't bother. The Subaru website itself should have the maintenance intervals for your car.

quote:

Next up, one of the maintenance guides I found said to do the fuel filter at 30k miles, another said 60k miles? Again, not sure which is better to go by, haven't seen anything to indicate a problem but we plan on keeping this a long time as I hope to replace it with a WRX for me and let the wife use this one eventually.
I'd be really surprised if you had to swap a fuel filter at 30k. It's a real pain in the rear end so I'd put it off until you start to have drivability problems.

quote:

Last is one guide I saw said to replace the spark plugs at 30k miles which seems...wasteful I guess, not sure if that's the word I want to use, but it doesn't seem like factory plugs should need replacing at 30k miles.
They shouldn't - I'd look at them at 30k miles if it's easy, but I don't think it is terribly easy to do so on any Subaru.

edit: Here is the 2008 maintenance schedule (under "2008 Federal" probably for your car).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 9, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Worm? posted:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2153168

Looking at this bugeye, any red flags stick out? Test drove it last week and it pulls strong and transmission/clutch felt strong. As he notes on the last page there is a slight stutter in lower gears at low revs. What might that be a sign of? I think I can pick it up for <11k including a compression/leakdown and a new tune.

Seems like a lot of power for the $.

It is, however that price still seems high to me. Unmodded WRX is worth about ~6k in good shape. $5000 for mods seems like a lot. like more of a $9-10k car.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
What are the common causes of random missfire cel's? 750 deatchwerk injectors, stock 03 coil packs, 1 step colder platinum plugs, act street lite flywheel, etc.

They only seem to pop up while the car is still warming up. My alt/ps belt might be a touch loose (really I just need to replace it). Possible slipping belt?

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 9, 2011

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

3K sounds like the "severe service interval," which is basically what I'm on. If you're not turbocharged (which you aren't) or racing (sounds like you aren't) I wouldn't bother. The Subaru website itself should have the maintenance intervals for your car.
I'd be really surprised if you had to swap a fuel filter at 30k. It's a real pain in the rear end so I'd put it off until you start to have drivability problems.
They shouldn't - I'd look at them at 30k miles if it's easy, but I don't think it is terribly easy to do so on any Subaru.

edit: Here is the 2008 maintenance schedule (under "2008 Federal" probably for your car).

Thank you, yeah definitely not racing it nor having any drivability problems, and thanks for reminding me of one of of the sources that confused me, that's the one that says spark plugs R at 30k mile, line 9, "All others". :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
n/a SOHC motors use regular ngk coppers and it is a good idea to replace them at 30k. it's really easy. DOHC/turbo cars use platinum or iridium and you can go 60k. This might have changed in the last couple years I haven't looked at many newer n/a cars.

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003

jamal posted:

n/a SOHC motors use regular ngk coppers and it is a good idea to replace them at 30k. it's really easy. DOHC/turbo cars use platinum or iridium and you can go 60k. This might have changed in the last couple years I haven't looked at many newer n/a cars.

any reason I shouldn't upgrade to better spark plugs then?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

they cost more and you won't notice a difference.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I hope this isn't a stupid question but what are the design considerations between a 2.5L performance FI engine and a lower displacement 2.0? Why has Subaru chosen to use an extra half liter when most other FI 4-cyl performance cars stick with 2.0 liters?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I hope this isn't a stupid question but what are the design considerations between a 2.5L performance FI engine and a lower displacement 2.0? Why has Subaru chosen to use an extra half liter when most other FI 4-cyl performance cars stick with 2.0 liters?

Homologation rules dictated the 2.0L and it is mainly the US who gets the 2.5L motors (And the australians?). Though with the rule change in WRC, the homologation rules no longer apply.

They are also dropping back down to the 2.0L for MPG reasons I believe due to new federal laws.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 9, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

c355n4 posted:

Homologation rules dictated the 2.0L and it is mainly the US who gets the 2.5L motors (And the australians?).

So the rules only apply to the 'home' country? Any reason why other manufacturer's aren't upping displacement for the intl. market (US, etc)?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So the rules only apply to the 'home' country? Any reason why other manufacturer's aren't upping displacement for the intl. market (US, etc)?

I dunno about the specifics. CT probably knows.

Krobar
Sep 25, 2003

jamal posted:

they cost more and you won't notice a difference.

I was thinking more for "time before having to change them again" as I'm not a mechanical person and live in an apartment. But, point taken, thanks again :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Another simpleton question but what are the pros/cons of relocating the intercooler to the front? Can the hood scoop be re-purposed in such a case to be the air intake or does that not really make much difference? Why not just go with a better performing top mount intercooler or are those harder to design/build in the space provided?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Why not just go with a better performing top mount intercooler or are those harder to design/build in the space provided?
One of the big cons of top mounts is heat soak (as heat rises). You'll really feel this if you spend a long time sitting in stop and go traffic when it's warm and then attempt to bag on the car. It's part of the reason why the STI has the intercooler sprayer.

There's packaging concerns too, like you said; it sucks for handling to put too much weight above the centre of gravity, it's hard to clear the hood, you have to maintain a lot of air gap to let the splitter work properly and use the entire surface area, etc.

One of the big downsides of front mounts that I can think of offhand is that you have to run some extra plumbing and potentially chop up your front bumper/beam components, which might compromise crash safety. I know there's at least one Skyline here that was drat near torn in half because the owner chopped up the entire front end and removed things like the rad support in order to run the biggest FMIC he could find before target-fixating into a signpost.

However, I'd be surprised if any of the "big name" FMIC kits were engineered such that you would be less safe.

Another alternative to getting a ginormous intercooler might be meth or water injection. It's relatively inexpensive but does need more hand-holding than an intercooler.

edit: I found this after searching. It seems pretty alarmist, though, so please take it with a grain of salt.

edit edit: You can go pretty far with a big top mount; that's about as far as I'm willing to go, personally, since I still like having a functional hood scoop. :)

edit edit edit: vvv Yeah, I don't see why not. You could probably get creative with the plumbing to negate it as much as possible but I'm sure you'd see some kind of lag penalty.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 9, 2011

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

draccio posted:

Description of issue - Sounds like something is clicking (clunking?) into position. Almost like an old AC unit engaging but it sounds more hollow and the sound can be heard from slightly different places underneath the car. The sound can be heard from outside the vehicle but is more pronounced inside. The sound is coming from underneath and mostly just in front middle of the driver and passenger seats.

Sounds almost exactly like the same issue I attempted to describe.

One of the big downsides of front mounts that I can think of offhand is that you have to run some extra plumbing and potentially chop up your front bumper/beam components, which might compromise crash safety. I know there's at least one Skyline here that was drat near torn in half because the owner chopped up the entire front end and removed things like the rad support in order to run the biggest FMIC he could find before target-fixating into a signpost.

Isn't one of the other big things with FMICs that they can introduce some additional response lag for the boost due to the extra distance involved?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

One of the big cons of top mounts is heat soak (as heat rises). You'll really feel this if you spend a long time sitting in stop and go traffic when it's warm and then attempt to bag on the car. It's part of the reason why the STI has the intercooler sprayer.

There's packaging concerns too, like you said; it sucks for handling to put too much weight above the centre of gravity, it's hard to clear the hood, you have to maintain a lot of air gap to let the splitter work properly and use the entire surface area, etc.

However, I'd be surprised if any of the "big name" FMIC kits were engineered such that you would be less safe.

Another alternative to getting a ginormous intercooler might be meth or water injection. It's relatively inexpensive but does need more hand-holding than an intercooler.

edit: I found this after searching. It seems pretty alarmist, though, so please take it with a grain of salt.

edit edit: You can go pretty far with a big top mount; that's about as far as I'm willing to go, personally, since I still like having a functional hood scoop. :)

edit edit edit: vvv Yeah, I don't see why not. You could probably get creative with the plumbing to negate it as much as possible but I'm sure you'd see some kind of lag penalty.

Thanks for the explanation. It would make sense to put a heat shield between the hot engine components and the intercooler and maybe even direct heat away so it can escape without interacting with the intercooler. Do current Subaru engines have such things? I take it even if they do they don't work that well?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks for the explanation. It would make sense to put a heat shield between the hot engine components and the intercooler and maybe even direct heat away so it can escape without interacting with the intercooler. Do current Subaru engines have such things? I take it even if they do they don't work that well?
There are a few heat shields on the car from the factory (assuming we're talking about the WRX from here on in), most prominently one around the turbo in the stock location. You can also heat-wrap/ceramic-coat your headers and other engine bay exhaust components to minimize heat transfer, or add a turbo blanket. There are some aftermarket heat shield replacements that are proven to be better than the OEM components as well.

If you look at the underside of the hood scoop you'll notice that not all of the air entering the hood scoop (especially on a post-06) is being directed to the intercooler - they also have a Toyota GTFour-esque hole that points directly down at the "turbo area" in the engine bay to feed it fresh atmospheric air.

They work extremely well, I'd say, considering the kind of EGTs that a turbo engine can pump out. Exhaust is hot!

As Subaru corporate is fond of saying, at stock boost levels on the street, the cooling functionality is fine. Obviously as you start modifying it the car is under a lot hotter temperatures. I'm running additional boost with no cooling system modifications or additional heat shields and have had no serious issues with heat soak including stop and go traffic on thirty-degree days (though I have an incredibly paranoid tune and haven't seen a knock in months).

I wouldn't worry about it too much until you actually see a problem. Even if you do have heat soak from stop and go traffic, getting some airflow on the intercooler sorts things out lickety-split.

edit: For what it's worth, I've seen a rally car with an aftermarket top mount and stock hood scoop freeze itself to death by blowing the PCV line that runs alongside the bottom of the intercooler while driving in -30 on the highway.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 9, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know! We should design a bottom mount intercooler.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nissan (and other manufacturers, like Saab) are fond of side-mount intercoolers, which probably explains why a lot of those cars upgrade to front-mounts.

I know you were joking, but - there are bottom-mount transmission coolers in some cars so I'm sure someone has done a bottom-mount intercooler. Probably some dragsters have it, since there it's not as big of a concern if a rock off the road bangs into the bottom of your car and cracks a bunch of fins. I dunno if it would solve any packaging concerns that couldn't be adequately solved with a front mount, though, and the turbulence created under the car would probably be suboptimal for grip.

For the sake of completeness, there are also a handful of turbo cars with no intercooler whatsoever - a bunch of 80s/90s domestics, certainly, but you can also see it on some light duty turbodiesel vehicles intended for sale at low elevations (like the Mitsubishi Delica). I assume they just want you to watch your EGTs when the vehicle is under abnormal load and pull over and wait for it to cool off. You could probably do the same thing on a WRX, though I don't really see the purpose other than reducing spool in exchange for needing to dump dry ice into the hoodscoop after each run.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 10, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey that mother loving issue that has been pissing everyone off because it's so loving elusive is loving back and I truly hate this car right now. Wha tthe gently caress is the point of standard car if it's not reliable and easy to maintain / troubleshoot? For fucks sake who was the god drat wanker that thought DBW was a good idea? How can it be the combined brains of half a dozen highly knowkedgeable mechanics are without any idea what this now is?

I'm fed up with this loving car. And yet again NO loving CODE!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
There are a few intercoolers that feed from the bottom even though they're mounted up top, I think the MR2 was one? Also the turbo nissan bluebirds, which had what looked like a topmount with no hood scoop. I'm sure they don't work very well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh hey that mother loving issue that has been pissing everyone off because it's so loving elusive is loving back and I truly hate this car right now. Wha tthe gently caress is the point of standard car if it's not reliable and easy to maintain / troubleshoot? For fucks sake who was the god drat wanker that thought DBW was a good idea? How can it be the combined brains of half a dozen highly knowkedgeable mechanics are without any idea what this now is?

I'm fed up with this loving car. And yet again NO loving CODE!

Drive-by-wire works just fine in millions of other cars. Blame Subaru.

bamurphymac
Mar 1, 2011
(I just noobed out and accidentally posted this as a new thread. flame away. )

Evo goon Greasy Digits and I were hanging out in the parking lot yesterday BSing around with my car and he noticed a really interesting feature I wasn't aware of. I took a picture!

Anyone know what this bolt is and why that weird bracket above it looks so out of place? It moves a little, I can push it in a little.

My only thought is it might have been part of the heat shield bracket that I took out when doing my up pipe install. But I really don't remember doing that, and I really took my time and tried to be thorough during that job. I think this is something I can blame on the PO - those wires to the left of the photo don't look up to Gunma specs.

Should I just throw a nut on it or is this meant to actually do something? Thanks!

Also, ouch, it hurts to see just how dirty/corroded my car is. My engine bay does not look that bad in real life, I SWEAR.

TL/DR: What is this bolt on my 05 WRX and what should I do with it?

bamurphymac fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 10, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So, what is it a subaru 360? Model/year might help.

bamurphymac
Mar 1, 2011

nm posted:

So, what is it a subaru 360? Model/year might help.

Good idea! 2005 USDM WRX.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

that bolt holds the transmission case together and the pitch stop mount to the trans. You'll want to take off the IC, feed that bolt through the hole on the black bracket right above it, and then tighten it down. Did you have a clutch changed or transmission work done to the car or something? I have no idea how or why that would be like that.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.motorward.com/2011/06/subaru-wrx-shatters-isle-of-man-tt-course-record-video/

quote:

The Japanese saloon car lapped the 37.8-mile course in 19 minutes and 56.7 seconds and average speed of 113 mph. The peak speed achieved during the lap was 162mph. Here’s a video of the lap courtesy of Road&Track, including an amazing 150 mph save:

The video of the save is insane.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Here's an inside view if you want to see what his hands were doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfdgQSkiYIQ&t=45s

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

GST Motorsports is going to Australia this summer for the World Time Attack with their impreza "L"

There are a couple fundraisers going on to help them cover traveling expenses. Kognition, who makes wings for them and many other time attack/track cars is having a raffle:

http://kognitiondesign.com/gst-fundraiser.html

It's listed as a fundraiser because paypal got upset for some reason about it being a raffle. Winner gets the wing from last year's car.

I'm selling hellafunctional stickers for $7, and 5 of that goes to the team:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hella-Functional/147836660405

so if anyone wants a sticker or wants to help gst motorsports, there are two ways to do it.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

jamal posted:

so if anyone wants a sticker or wants to help gst motorsports, there are two ways to do it.

Help send Moike to the convict colony where he belongs!
(watching the development on the GST car has been great, I've known Mike for years)
Very cool that you guys are helping out with the fundraising efforts, too.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Another simpleton question but what are the pros/cons of relocating the intercooler to the front? Can the hood scoop be re-purposed in such a case to be the air intake or does that not really make much difference? Why not just go with a better performing top mount intercooler or are those harder to design/build in the space provided?

Something also worth noting is that the top-mount design can create an amount of lift on the front-end when at speed (to how much I cannot quantify) as such a number of tuning companies will often run a FMIC with the hood-scoop either blocked or a NA hood assembly entirely (not implying that is the sole or even primary reason.)

The added plumping does add to turbo lag, in addition from a fluids point, there will be a significant amount of both minor and major losses that ultimately would prevent the system from being ideal, although this is nothing that a tuner is honestly concerned with, just a fun observation from an mechanical engineer perspective.

There is a company here in PDX that is working on a turbo configuration for the GD platform utilizing a FMIC, but reconfigured turbo mounting to eliminate a significant amount of plumbing, we'll have to see what that ends up looking like.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

thealphabetsez posted:

Something also worth noting is that the top-mount design can create an amount of lift on the front-end when at speed

Wouldn't a significant amount of that (likely rather insignificant) amount of lift be negated as it would then push down on the intercooler and engine as it traveled through the engine compartment?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've noticed a lot of the guys on iwsti who track their cars end up blocking off the scoop as it creates lift/understeer. They also say the scoop causes some kind of weird pressure in the engine bay that can cause overheating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Amandyke posted:

Wouldn't a significant amount of that (likely rather insignificant) amount of lift be negated as it would then push down on the intercooler and engine as it traveled through the engine compartment?

Maybe what happens is that having the vent saps the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield. Aero is hard to intuit.

But either way, a bulbous shape opening to a hole on an otherwise smooth hood isn't going to be insignificant at 100mph.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Drive-by-wire works just fine in millions of other cars. Blame Subaru.

Drive by wire is an utter abomination in all cars. gently caress it forever

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Drive by wire is fine once you re-map it. Plus it lets you do cool stuff like anti-lag, flat foot shifting, and launch control.

the hood scoop and top mount are not good for aero or overall engine cooling. The problem you end up with is that you're shoving a lot of air in the front and top of the engine bay and all of that has to go out under the car which creates higher pressure, front end lift, and reduced airflow through the radiator and IC. Leaving the scoop and then putting on a front mount makes this even worse because all that air going into the scoop does nothing but hurt the cooling ability of the radiator and IC.

On your average car none of this really matters that much, but when you start making more power and doing track days it's pretty important. On the time attack car we've angled both the radiator and intercooler forward and have big vents in the hood so most of the air coming into the front of the car is leaving through the hood and fenders. We also blocked off everything else on the front to keep airflow through the rest of the bumper to a minimum.

In conclusion, if you have a front mount, get one of these things:

http://www.kstech.biz/servlet/the-26/Subaru-WRX-STI-scoop/Detail

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Drive by wire is fine once you re-map it. Plus it lets you do cool stuff like anti-lag, flat foot shifting, and launch control.

You do not need DBW to do that. Reference my STI, which has that and more and that's a cable. All this is doing is proving electronic nonsense is worthless when a good old fashioned cable Just. loving. WORKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
So I pulled the accessory belts off my 2000 outback with the 2.5L and took it for a spin around the block, even with nothing running it still has the above-4k-only-under-load squeal that I'm now thinking is the timing belt? or a timing belt idler?

This car had the timing belt done by subaru at 84k miles and it's now got 119k. Is that under any kind of warranty? Anybody have any advice? How do I diagnose that?