Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
What about Monster Dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

MrGreenShirt posted:

Why, there's only one movie it could be!

(Actually can't be since it was released this year, but the poster was too perfect...)

Based on the poster alone I kind of want to see this!

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
There's a scene that's been bugging me since primary school, when my best friend described to me the goriest moment in a film he'd ever seen.

Is this film real, or was he just making it up?

Someone is sunbathing on the front lawn. An evil man with a lawnmower grinds the lawnmower down onto them, and their sliced-up innards are flung around in every direction with the whirling blades.

There's a "punchline" of sorts then, where the person's heart plops down onto the front window of a passing car, and the people inside either scream, or make some sort of one-liner about it.

I'm guessing he probably made it up to scare me, but you never know.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay this one is bugging me. I believe the film is a sci fi or horror film, where the villain says "A mind is a terrible thing..." (omitting the "to waste" from the United Negro College Fund motto).

I'm reasonably sure it's Scanners but I'm thinking it could be something else.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Okay this one is bugging me. I believe the film is a sci fi or horror film, where the villain says "A mind is a terrible thing..." (omitting the "to waste" from the United Negro College Fund motto).

I'm reasonably sure it's Scanners but I'm thinking it could be something else.

Along Came A Spider, possibly?

IMDb quote page posted:

Gary Sonjei: I am living proof, that a mind is a terrible thing.

Flux Equals Rad
Jun 22, 2007
oh my god bear is driving how can that be!?

trunkwontopen posted:

Another one, this one is a bit difficult. I remember being entranced by an advertisement on the back of a TV Guide when I was younger, perhaps 10-12 year old age. It was a horror flick, the advertisement had a house at the top, and a zombie-like dog's head at the bottom. Been searching for the "poster" all over, and once I find the poster, I find the movie. I thought it was called "hell hound" or "Demon dog" .. but nothing is connecting when I look up the posters.

Difficulty of that one is that I never seen the movie (Mom wouldn't let me. :argh:) and I would like to. No biggie if no one nails it.
My original guess was Monster Dog, but somebody beat me to it. Maybe The Boneyard (1991)?

There's at least one alternate poster/vhs box featuring a painting of the zombie poodle underneath some steps leading up to the front door of a building.

I have a request of my own: These two posters came out of a 1991 issue of Gorezone magazine. I'm pretty sure the one on the left is Syngenor, but what's the one on the right??

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Buml0r posted:

There's a scene that's been bugging me since primary school, when my best friend described to me the goriest moment in a film he'd ever seen.

Is this film real, or was he just making it up?

Someone is sunbathing on the front lawn. An evil man with a lawnmower grinds the lawnmower down onto them, and their sliced-up innards are flung around in every direction with the whirling blades.

There's a "punchline" of sorts then, where the person's heart plops down onto the front window of a passing car, and the people inside either scream, or make some sort of one-liner about it.

I'm guessing he probably made it up to scare me, but you never know.

I think this might be the beginning of Frankenhooker.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099611/

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

Along Came A Spider, possibly?

Yes yes that's it! Thanks.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Flux Equals Rad posted:

I have a request of my own: These two posters came out of a 1991 issue of Gorezone magazine. I'm pretty sure the one on the left is Syngenor, but what's the one on the right??

That would appear to be this fellow from The Howling VI.

Flux Equals Rad
Jun 22, 2007
oh my god bear is driving how can that be!?

tacodaemon posted:

That would appear to be this fellow from The Howling VI.
Yeah, that looks about right. Thanks!! Funny, the magazine that those posters came out of contains a super long article on how all of the Howling sequels are terrible.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Hi I'm looking for a movie. It's a movie made in the late 80s I think. It's set in New York and it's about graffiti (possibly also breakdancing and other hip-hop stuff) and there's dudes writing graffiti on trains and some crews have beefs and I think one guy dies because another graffiti dude chases him and he gets fried on the subway tracks.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Bonus posted:

Hi I'm looking for a movie. It's a movie made in the late 80s I think. It's set in New York and it's about graffiti (possibly also breakdancing and other hip-hop stuff) and there's dudes writing graffiti on trains and some crews have beefs and I think one guy dies because another graffiti dude chases him and he gets fried on the subway tracks.

You're not thinking of The Warriors are you? That has graffiti and a guy getting fried on the subway tracks, but no breakdancing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nah, it ain't The Warriors. I've done some searching and I think it's either Wild Style (1983) or Beat Street (1984). Also if anyone has any other recommendations for films about the origins of the hip hop scene in New York let me know.

Nashie 0
Mar 19, 2009
I think this one was a made for TV movie but it may have been part of a regular TV show.

It was about a family who owned a talking car who falls in love with the teenage daughter of the family. The girl also owned a talking cello but if I recall this was just a throwaway joke at the end of the thing and not integral to the plot.

I saw this a few years ago and only caught the end. I quite liked it but have had no luck in finding it, so work your magic goons if you could?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bonus posted:

Nah, it ain't The Warriors. I've done some searching and I think it's either Wild Style (1983) or Beat Street (1984). Also if anyone has any other recommendations for films about the origins of the hip hop scene in New York let me know.

There's also:

· Krush Groove
· Rappin'
· Body Rock
· Style Wars
· Delivery Boys

I know it's not Breakin' or its sequel, but it could be one of these other movies. Each one has graffiti, breakdancing, and rapping in it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Posting this from the GBS "help us remember the plot of this movie" thread, where I never got an answer:

I'm afraid I can only remember one scene, but I think it's from a fairly popular movie (some sort of Wes Anderson-style comedy?) from the last ten years. A kid is trying to save his parents' marriage, and then has some kind of injury. While he's being wheeled into the emergency room, one of his parents tells him "I have good news! We're getting a divorce!"

I want to think it's The Squid and the Whale or something like that, but google tells me it isn't.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
I was at a show not too long ago and there was a clip from a creepy-looking movie on the screen. There was some sort of cartoony skull mask and it slowly dropped away to reveal a horrifying face that looked painted like a clown.

A couple shots of the skull:

And a lovely image of the face underneath:

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Looking for a Chinese movie I saw years ago (should not be older than mid 80's). Setting's either medieval China or rural China and the time doesn't matter really. There is a group of girls who get entangled in some believe/ idea. In the end they hang themselves. In the last scene we are told that two families were arguing who would keep the rope (trivializing the event).

Another movie: Taiwanese, rather depressing. Won a few awards seemingly, perhaps in the late 80's/mid ninetees. I remember a scene where a girl hangs around town, is asked by a random business man who assumes she is a prostitute (which she is not), then, when in a hotel, she takes some scissors and stabs the guy, hurting him before they sleep together, takes his wallet and leaves. For some reason I wrote "Summer comes like a Lion" on the VCR (which I don't have anymore), but I can't find anything like that on imdb.

Sorry if these are rather obscure.

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a movie or TV show, but I think it's a movie. I'm not even sure if I saw the whole thing. All I remember is one scene where some old guy is sitting in a nice chair at some sort of gentlemen's club (not a strip club, a classy one) or country club. He's talking to another man, I think he's much younger, and the old man goes off on a tangent where he explains how to make a mint julep.

Not much to go on, but thought I'd give it a shot.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Another movie: Taiwanese, rather depressing. Won a few awards seemingly, perhaps in the late 80's/mid ninetees. I remember a scene where a girl hangs around town, is asked by a random business man who assumes she is a prostitute (which she is not), then, when in a hotel, she takes some scissors and stabs the guy, hurting him before they sleep together, takes his wallet and leaves. For some reason I wrote "Summer comes like a Lion" on the VCR (which I don't have anymore), but I can't find anything like that on imdb.

Sorry if these are rather obscure.

Well the saying is "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb" There's one foreign movie from 1991 that is titled that.

Here's the only clip that I could dredge up if it helps

Youtube Clip

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
A vampire teen film released sometime around 2000-2003. The ending has two guys driving off in the southeaster US desert in some kind of muscle car with rock music playing in the background as it fades to credits. Pretty sure the title is only one word.

edit: found it

the fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 19, 2011

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Mouser.. posted:

Well the saying is "March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb" There's one foreign movie from 1991 that is titled that.

Here's the only clip that I could dredge up if it helps

Youtube Clip

I have to see the whole thing to be sure but this must be it. Thanks a million!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Frosted Ambassador posted:

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a movie or TV show, but I think it's a movie. I'm not even sure if I saw the whole thing. All I remember is one scene where some old guy is sitting in a nice chair at some sort of gentlemen's club (not a strip club, a classy one) or country club. He's talking to another man, I think he's much younger, and the old man goes off on a tangent where he explains how to make a mint julep.

Not much to go on, but thought I'd give it a shot.

Not sure if it's just similar but there's a scene in Thank You for Smoking which is similar. I don't have a copy but I don't think it took place in a gentleman's club though. Robert Duvall plays the older guy - 'The Captain'.

Frosted Ambassador
Dec 26, 2009

Surfing on the network
Part of me is dead

headcas3 posted:

Not sure if it's just similar but there's a scene in Thank You for Smoking which is similar. I don't have a copy but I don't think it took place in a gentleman's club though. Robert Duvall plays the older guy - 'The Captain'.

I've seen Thank You For Smoking but don't remember it all that well so you're probably right. Thanks!

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
Does anybody know what this movie is that I caught a bit of on TV a while ago? It had either Samuel L Jackson or Denzel Washington(I think Denzel but I couldn't find it in his filmography on wikipedia) sitting in a diner relating a story of a shooting that happened in a bar that was popular with white people back in segregation times.

It was only this one scene that I saw, but I do remember quite a bit about it. It is claimed that the shooting was racially motivated and a black youth is arrested for it, but the detectives circle-jerking it in the diner surmise that the shooting couldn't have been racially motivated because black people also frequented the bar. Denzel/Samuel also praises the black youth who has been arrested for enduring his time in prison with dignity. They then go over the various witnesses to the crime, including two fat white people looking out of their windows as well as a guy who was acting as a lookout for a robbery.

Then I changed the channel and watched animal planet or something like that, but it's been bugging me ever since. I'm going crazy here.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Sounds like The Hurricane
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174856/

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Trying to remember this movie. It only came out online and it was broadcast live and I missed like all of it because of a time change. It was a movie where people just sent in their footage and you got to see them and it took place all on the same day.

Any got anything for me? Pretty vague but being a busy internet bunch I'm sure someone knows it.

Other things possibly

Where can I see it?
Release date if not already out?

Tommy Callahan
Sep 17, 2008

OH MY GOD! WE'RE BURNING ALIVE!

tagelthebagel posted:

Trying to remember this movie. It only came out online and it was broadcast live and I missed like all of it because of a time change. It was a movie where people just sent in their footage and you got to see them and it took place all on the same day.

Any got anything for me? Pretty vague but being a busy internet bunch I'm sure someone knows it.

Other things possibly

Where can I see it?
Release date if not already out?

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeinaday

Apparently it's been shown in a few festivals but that's it.

VVV No problem :)

Tommy Callahan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 27, 2011

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Tommy Callahan posted:

I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lifeinaday

Apparently it's been shown in a few festivals but that's it.

Yup that was it. Thanks! =) And that was like 4 minutes! You rock.

Blue Pony
May 12, 2007

Its not a pony, its a MAGIC pony.
I saw this movie in class when I had to at least be in the first grade. Its a live action short-ish film about these kingdoms in the sky that each represent a color. The blue kingdom is kind of Victorian, the red kingdom is chinese, ect. The story starts in the yellow kingdom with this yellow guy in class, drawing something very similar to the Vitruvian Man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man and then it cuts to him inventing this ring he can ride around on and visit the other color kingdoms.

He winds up in the red kingdom and falls in love with a red girl there, and she gives him a red rose to take with him. He then visits the blue kingdom and others, which makes them aware that other colors exist. This upsets the other lands and they all invent flying devices so that they can invade each other so that they can paint their colors over the originals. When the yellow guy goes back home to yellow land and shows the yellow queen his red rose, she freaks out and has him thrown in jail and immediately has the rose splashed with yellow paint and joins the color war.

It ends in an all out paintball war that causes all the colors to mix and creates new colors, like purple, pink and so on. It ends with a giant rainbow linking all the kingdoms and they all make peace with each other.

What I remember most is that there was not a single spoken word in this film, it wall all acted out with facial expressions and exaggerated actions.

I've tried to find this my whole life, any ideas?

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I vaguely recall seeing a movie about some people who end up in hell, but Hell is no different from our world, except nobody smiles (?), they all go searching for someone (Maybe someones girlfriend)?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Agentdark posted:

I vaguely recall seeing a movie about some people who end up in hell, but Hell is no different from our world, except nobody smiles (?), they all go searching for someone (Maybe someones girlfriend)?

Sounds like Wristcutters: A Love Story

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Blue Pony posted:

I saw this movie in class when I had to at least be in the first grade. Its a live action short-ish film about these kingdoms in the sky that each represent a color. The blue kingdom is kind of Victorian, the red kingdom is chinese, ect. The story starts in the yellow kingdom with this yellow guy in class, drawing something very similar to the Vitruvian Man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man and then it cuts to him inventing this ring he can ride around on and visit the other color kingdoms.

He winds up in the red kingdom and falls in love with a red girl there, and she gives him a red rose to take with him. He then visits the blue kingdom and others, which makes them aware that other colors exist. This upsets the other lands and they all invent flying devices so that they can invade each other so that they can paint their colors over the originals. When the yellow guy goes back home to yellow land and shows the yellow queen his red rose, she freaks out and has him thrown in jail and immediately has the rose splashed with yellow paint and joins the color war.

It ends in an all out paintball war that causes all the colors to mix and creates new colors, like purple, pink and so on. It ends with a giant rainbow linking all the kingdoms and they all make peace with each other.

What I remember most is that there was not a single spoken word in this film, it wall all acted out with facial expressions and exaggerated actions.

I've tried to find this my whole life, any ideas?

Rainbow War

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

elbow posted:

Sounds like Wristcutters: A Love Story
Yup, thats it, and thanks. I was drunk as hell when I saw that

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Hey everyone, I need help tracking down a sci-fi flick. The only think I saw was a youtube clip that was link from Cinema Discusso, I think. Its a low budget science fiction movie (maybe horror), and the scene I saw involved a bunch of teenagers holding our against some aliens. I think they are in a dinner and Elvis pops up to save the say. I think he does some kung fu or something. I remember the movie was very small and independent, it pretty new, in color and the picture was pretty crisp and colorful. The guy who made it is well known for stuff like this.

Thanks for any help and I apologize for not having any more concrete memories.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

What It Dooski posted:

Hey everyone, I need help tracking down a sci-fi flick. The only think I saw was a youtube clip that was link from Cinema Discusso, I think. Its a low budget science fiction movie (maybe horror), and the scene I saw involved a bunch of teenagers holding our against some aliens. I think they are in a dinner and Elvis pops up to save the say. I think he does some kung fu or something. I remember the movie was very small and independent, it pretty new, in color and the picture was pretty crisp and colorful. The guy who made it is well known for stuff like this.

Thanks for any help and I apologize for not having any more concrete memories.

Sounds like you're thinking of Bubba Ho Tep.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Sizzlechest posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of Bubba Ho Tep.

Close. I found that during my googling. The trailer I saw was definitely brightly colored aliens, amybe with their eyes in a dome on their head. I think the trailer for my movie was much more campy and it was almost a straight comedy. It might have been set in the 50's or so too.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Found it! Atomic Brain Invasion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ7Q-GbjoFI

Thanks anyways Sizzechest

Edit: Now if there was someway for me to watch it :(

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 30, 2011

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
This one has been bothering me for years.

It was a Cartoon Network Movie in the late nineties (not FOR that, but used in that slot) that had a pretty dark setting/plot. It kind of seemed to be like a Terry Gilliam-ish movie, at least to my young mind.

The artistic direction was reminiscent of Eric Carle (the Very Hungry Caterpillar), and I seem to remember something in the title about a lion. A courageous lion?

Please help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Looking for which movie featured a scene where some garbagemen were putting garbage bags into the maw of the trash compactor in back of their truck and shouting "chew your food before you eat!" at the garbage truck before compacting the trash, and laughing maniacally as if this were the funniest joke in the world.

They might have been banging on the sides of the truck, also.