Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It was going to happen when I read that line, whether I wanted it to or not. :v:

You mean people didn't realize that it was up before? You missed Star Commander Rarity in update 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Defiance Industries posted:

So has ComStar gone ahead with re-introducing the Gauss rifle to the IS? Cause if so I can finally write that Hollander writeup I promised.

I'm not really very savvy on Battletech, but didn't they have Hollanders' lobbing shells in an arc like WWI artierlly in mech commander? I seem to remember something doing that.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

I sent mine in too, and I think Threshold sent his in too. :confuoot:
Yep, mine are in, such as they are.

Putin - Not in MechCommander 1 or 2 to my recollection (actually just started another MC1 go on the back of this). MC2 has Long Toms, which do work like that (plus the horrors of Swarm LRMs).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tempest_56 posted:

You mean people didn't realize that it was up before? You missed Star Commander Rarity in update 4?

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

I went back to update 4, and it just hit me (though I should have made the connection much sooner :doh:). The two point commanders Cairn killed are the analogues for Inuart from DG1 and Nowe from DG2.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

landcollector posted:

I went back to update 4, and it just hit me (though I should have made the connection much sooner :doh:). The two point commanders Cairn killed are the analogues for Inuart from DG1 and Nowe from DG2.

You mean a pointlessly useless gently caress and a vapid, indecisive pussy?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

I'm not really very savvy on Battletech, but didn't they have Hollanders' lobbing shells in an arc like WWI artierlly in mech commander? I seem to remember something doing that.

No. Mech Commander 2 had stationary Long Tom artillery pieces you could drop on the field. Well, that and both games decided whether your weapon would hit upon firing, so you had Gauss slugs, PPC bolts etc. that would home in on the enemy if the to-hit generator said that you hit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SynthOrange posted:

It was going to happen when I read that line, whether I wanted it to or not. :v:

For this, CRAB FOR MVP

also the crab should get a special bonus or something, like a full heal. (just to increase the rage of the clanner)

It truly gives no fucks, it will come back in the next life as a king crab, for maximum crab.

(please do let the pilot come back upgraded in a king crab at some point to help out.) :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

Bonus avatar version. "I am one of Hell's Horses, not Hell's Ponies!"

I would like to claim this as an avatar if you would be so kind.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

I would like to claim this as an avatar if you would be so kind.

I would suggest giving the pony-part a slightly longer delay. I think the crab portion is just right, but it doesn't linger on the pony long enough for me to get my bearings.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I can extend the pony delay later if someone wants that, don't have the right computer handy for that right now, and I don't mind if anyone takes it. I think The JJ said he might use it too on the last page, so fight with him over it or something.

And the crab doesn't need a full heal, it's going to be pissing off that clanner plenty without that.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

I think The JJ said he might use it too on the last page, so fight with him over it or something.

Have at it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

At least you didn't give the pony tits. Go Crab walk!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I think The JJ said he might use it too on the last page, so fight with him over it or something.

This calls for a Trial of Possession!

Ponymechs at 5 hexes!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

longer pony would be good

Clearly as The Crabbiest player on the forums I should be in a crab or king crab for this trial.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This thread has reminded me that I wanted to buy a crab for my crazy Solaris custom mech.

Aaaaand one for my Comstar level II.

While I'm making the order I may as well get.....

God-drat you PTN, I was trying to SAVE money, not blow 200 bux on mechs.....

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Magni posted:

No. Mech Commander 2 had stationary Long Tom artillery pieces you could drop on the field. Well, that and both games decided whether your weapon would hit upon firing, so you had Gauss slugs, PPC bolts etc. that would home in on the enemy if the to-hit generator said that you hit.

Homing Gauss irritated the poo poo out of me, plus last-minute dodge SRMs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You know I have been reading, and aerospace fighters also use myomer... so why the gently caress don't they suffer from breaches while in space?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

You know I have been reading, and aerospace fighters also use myomer... so why the gently caress don't they suffer from breaches while in space?

I think the better question is why aerospace fighters need artificial muscles.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Angry_Ed posted:

I think the better question is why aerospace fighters need artificial muscles.
Probably to replace the hydraulics for the control surfaces in atmospheric flight, I think in space flight they use maneuvering jets.

God drat I'm a nerd.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

Probably to replace the hydraulics for the control surfaces in atmospheric flight, I think in space flight they use maneuvering jets.

God drat I'm a nerd.

I think it's to control the irising exhaust port for the main engine, for thrust vectoring purposes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think Battletech just uses Myomer for everything that isn't a spinning motor. It is pretty cool stuff for moving things predictably.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I love the Caudron-Born/Ebon Jaguar if only for the fact that it, at only 65 tons, can take an ungodly amount of damage in Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, and keep on kicking.

I've gotten my rear end handed to me by one of those, even when I was piloting the mighty 75 ton Timber Wolf. :(

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alright I can see how it (myomer) would be used for thrust vectoring and in place of motors etc. That clears that up at least.

Now back to the breach question I guess.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

I love the Caudron-Born/Ebon Jaguar if only for the fact that it, at only 65 tons, can take an ungodly amount of damage in Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, and keep on kicking.

I've gotten my rear end handed to me by one of those, even when I was piloting the mighty 75 ton Timber Wolf. :(

the timber wolf (and most larger clan mechs including the direwolf) in MW4 have ungodly large center torso hitboxes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

equal delay now.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

the timber wolf (and most larger clan mechs including the direwolf) in MW4 have ungodly large center torso hitboxes.

I always found the most efficiant killdozer to be a Daishi or Mad Cat II, especially if you bullshit the solaris matches with a Daishi loaded only with mg's. Just walk right into the enemy, put the crosshairs on the cockpit, and let loose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

elitebuster posted:

I think it's to control the irising exhaust port for the main engine, for thrust vectoring purposes.

So they have myomer sphincters?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

SynthOrange posted:

So they have myomer sphincters?

Um....

Actually, yeah. I think that's exactly what it amounts to. Brain bleach, please.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Defiance Industries posted:

Not all of them. The lighter ones are by and large dumb looking, but I like the Athena, Mars, Oro, Ares and Epona. Still, though, Clan machinery tends to look dumb. I was, when saying that, thinking primarily of the IS tanks. I like most of them quite well.

For the most part, I should note I have a strong dislike for rounded armor. The Enforcer III is especially egregious to me, because they took the original Enforcer and rounded off all the edges. Also it has some of the dumbest fluff ever.

Wait wait wait, they have a Mars AND an Ares? loving Clanners.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Notgothic posted:

Wait wait wait, they have a Mars AND an Ares? loving Clanners.

Yes, but the Mars is named after the planet.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes, but the Mars is named after the planet.

Doesn't that make it worse? I don't know about you, but I'd rather pilot something named after a deity of war than something named after a red hunk of rock owned wholly by Space AT&T.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

elitebuster posted:

Doesn't that make it worse? I don't know about you, but I'd rather pilot something named after a deity of war than something named after a red hunk of rock owned wholly by Space AT&T.

The planet was, itself, named after one of the war god's aliases. Good enough for you?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

elitebuster posted:

Maybe they named it after the Gustav Holst song. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or the chocolate bar.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Angry_Ed posted:

Maybe they named it after the Gustav Holst song. :v:

And then the design got ripped off by a more modern designer and renamed "The Imperial March!"

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
But the original movement isn't a march at all. :confused:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

elitebuster posted:

It's more a statement of "Hey, we're going to own that planet some day"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's more a statement of "Hey, we're going to own that planet some day"

Nobody in the Clans wants to pilot the Kooken's Pleasure Pit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008