Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirp
May 16, 2007

Ligur posted:

I snorted beer into my nose reading this to produce a very odd guffaw followed by a regular laugh. Well done.

We kidnapped a friend (not martial artist) for his bachelor party this way. They were in a church for the baptism of his cousins kid. We conceived to ask his wife to take him out at certain moment and were waiting in ambush. When he asked her what's this about, four of us rushed from behind holding airsoft MP5's wearing balaclava, in total silence to avoid recognition, took him down, threw him into a pickup and blindfolded him while one of us was holding a glock to his head. Much fun was had by all!

Then we drove for 30 kilometers to a sauna and a feast holding a gun to his head in silence. He stopped shaking and probably figured out all's good when one of us raised a bottle of vodka to his lips after driving around for a bit... We also had a sign saying "BACHELOR PARTY LOL" we flashed to everyone (people who saw us from the car windows gave us weird glances) and informed the cops before we pulled this fun prank.

I imagine in some other country than Finland you could get shot and killed pulling out something like this though. The next day I had to take the weapons home, and rode a tram with a terrible hangover wearing camouflage cargo pants and shouldering various assault weapons, a few sticking out from a bag. Nobody came to the part of the tram where I sat (some actually walked in and turned around) except one woman who had just returned from living in Israel the other day and said "gently caress me, is it like this in Finland too now!"

I also somehow didn't get shot or even stopped by the cops or security. Those were times...

That sounds awesome and fun, it's a shame you would undoubtedly end up getting murdered by police if you tried this in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dirp posted:

That sounds awesome and fun, it's a shame you would undoubtedly end up getting murdered by police if you tried this in America.

Me and some of my buddies were 3/4 of the way to completing something like this when someone who saw a black SUV full of guys in multicam and masks driving towards the school.

The cops pulled our car over, told us to gently caress off home, and we happily did.

worst last day of school ever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowman_McK posted:

the second thing. More to know what the elements of boxing are, for instance, in order to take the bits that work for me and incorporate it overall. I did it a bit when I was a kid, but being long and stringy at the time, I mostly just got face punched by short, squat Pacific Islander kids. I didn't stick with it.

Beat up by short, squart Pacific Islanders, eh? Maybe this would interest you:
http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Martial-Arts-Book-Knowledge/dp/0977731561
I regard the book as very bread and butter. BJ covers all the bases but doesn't go too deep. It sticks fairly closely to BJ's style of fighting, which is backed up by reasonable arguments given an MMA context. I think he has maybe 2 pages of kicks and he expounds on why kicks can be risky in MMA. The con is that it assumes MMA rules from the get go, so for better or worse, there's less adapting needed for techniques presented.
I really like the photo work, which is color and easy to interpret. And obviously it's rewarding to see BJ demo grappling work.

I can't think off the top of my head a book on boxing theory. I think as with any old school martial art, everything worth knowing is floating around in the gym, and has never been committed to printed page.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

Me and some of my buddies were 3/4 of the way to completing something like this when someone who saw a black SUV full of guys in multicam and masks driving towards the school.

The cops pulled our car over, told us to gently caress off home, and we happily did.

worst last day of school ever

Given that they just said 'go home, dumbasses', sounds to me more like the best last day of school ever.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Given that they just said 'go home, dumbasses', sounds to me more like the best last day of school ever.

We got off because the church group that arranges airsoft meets is pretty well known in town and right across from the Highschool. We (luckily) convinced one of them to vouch for us.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 11, 2011

jugulator45
Apr 1, 2009
My school is offering Judo as a gym elective and I'm considering taking it. While I know it is more of a grappling martial art, does it also involve much kicking or any other striking?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jugulator45 posted:

My school is offering Judo as a gym elective and I'm considering taking it. While I know it is more of a grappling martial art, does it also involve much kicking or any other striking?

Nope, standard judo should have no strikes. Though you might clash shins going for throws on occasion.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Or toenail against toenail :cry:

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

jugulator45 posted:

No it does not involve much kicking or other striking. The little striking there is, is kata based. http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical-list/judo-as-a-martial-art/511-striking-techniques-atemiwaza Also it is not exactly great striking either.

If you want to learn to striking I'd suggest taking up boxing, muay thai, or kick boxing.

I had my first Muay thai/kickboxing class today. A question for you guys, how should i be cleaning my gloves? And what should I use for wrist wraps? (I know there was a really good youtube video for doing wraps in the last thread. I'm mostly concerned about wrist support than anything else.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 12, 2011

jugulator45
Apr 1, 2009
Gotcha, thanks for the help! I may look into Tang Soo Do or Kenpo, as there are schools of those in my area.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn

jugulator45 posted:

That's pretty cool, having judo at your school. Hell, I'm at a school in Japan and it isn't an option, they do kendo instead.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I got involved in Judo through my University. Pittsburgh just happens to have a 9th Dan former Korean Open champ teaching on tuesday nights, and his 6th Dan son who won multiple US national titles.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

I got involved in Judo through my University. Pittsburgh just happens to have a 9th Dan former Korean Open champ teaching on tuesday nights, and his 6th Dan son who won multiple US national titles.

I refuse to believe that the Japanese would give any Korean a Kudan.

But there does seem to be a group of Korean Judo College graduates who came over in the late 60s and early 70s (including my first Judo instructor) who have had a huge impact on Judo in the US.

My college used to offer Judo as a class, but not many people were signing up so they dropped it. In the words of said instructor "Judo hurts too much". Of course, he also said that "Taekwondo girls are only good for making babies". So I trust his statements.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 12, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yeah, his 9th Dan is from the Korean Judo Federation, not the Kodokan. His son's 6th Dan is from the USJI in think, or whatever other one does rankings.

And EVERYONE knows that Judo is the safest Olympic sport! Psh, I don't wanna hear about your injuries that clearly don't exist.

jugulator45
Apr 1, 2009
I'm thinking I might take judo, as I read more on that judoinfo website. Either way, it can't hurt to try, so why not?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

jugulator45 posted:

I'm thinking I might take judo, as I read more on that judoinfo website. Either way, it can't hurt to try, so why not?

I'm biased, but I think everyone should take Judo at least for a few months.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFM-xRKbSec

I'm gonna take up Judo in a few months time when I have a bit more free time. Pretty pumped for it.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jugulator45 posted:

Judo is awesome and you should try it, but it can seriously hurt you if you're not careful or have dumb trainers. Make sure you're learning break falls right from the start.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lost For Words posted:

Judo is awesome and you should try it, but it can seriously hurt you if you're not careful or have dumb trainers. Make sure you're learning break falls right from the start.

Learning proper breakfalls is the most lasting thing most people take away from Judo. Of all the things I've learned in Judo breakfalls are by far the thing I use most often outside the Dojo.

jugulator45
Apr 1, 2009
Whoops. I meant to say that nothing bad would come out of trying a class. I guess "hurt" was probably not the best word to use...

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jugulator45 posted:

Whoops. I meant to say that nothing bad would come out of trying a class. I guess "hurt" was probably not the best word to use...

No worries, wasn't trying to jump all over you or anything. Check out the class cause Judo is really fun. Honestly though, your biggest risk of injury is from your fellow students, especially beginners. Just go easy in the beginning and don't be afraid to tell anybody else to take it easy for the first few classes. I'm not trying to portray Judo as a high risk sport or anything but you do need to be a bit cautious. From my experience, a lot of injuries occur during the first few weeks of training when all the students are really hyped up but clumsy about what they're doing. I've been on both sides of being dumb and causing/getting injuries :smith:.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
99% of injuries are caused by and/or to, white belts.

But having been a high school wrestler and done several other martial arts, Judo isn't any worse than any other grappling sport on the injury front.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Lost For Words posted:

Yeah I didn't get taught breakfalls proper in the beginning and drat near quit because of it. (I was pretty much told to relax and just slap the mat, which was not too useful.) TLDR, if your ankle or knee is hitting the mat and getting kinked, you're doing it wrong.

The best way I've found is to curl your foot a bit like you're kicking a soccer ball, and turn your foot ninety degrees. If done right the impact should be on the bone on the bottom and side of your foot, and there will be enough tension in the leg to keep your knee and ankle from impacting the floor.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 12, 2011

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am looking into soon starting Jiu-Jitsu, and I was wondering what is the difference between "Japanese" and "Brazilian". From what I can gather on a quick google search is "JJJ, is more formal and doesn't focus on the ground game" and "BJJ, focuses on the ground game and has more sparring involved". So is this the case?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 12, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KildarX posted:

I am looking into soon starting Jiu-Jitsu, and I was wondering what is the difference between "Japanese" and "Brazilian". From what I can gather on a quick google search is "JJJ, is more formal and doesn't focus on the ground game" and "BJJ, focuses on the ground game and has more sparring involved". So is this the case?

They are more or less completely different. Several Ryu of Japanese Jui-Jitsu were distilled into Judo by Jigoro Kano in the late 1800s, and then BJJ evolved as an offshoot of Judo in the early 1900s.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
I've been doing BJJ for a week now. They let me roll for the first time on my third session and I had a nice variety of opponents: a 6'1, 180lb white belt (i have a similar build), a 230lb blue belt, and a 150lb purple belt.

I have really long spidery arms/legs and I have a reach advantage on most guys, so I was able to pull guard with some frequency of success, which is the only position I've drilled submissions from yet, but I mostly blanked out offensively and spent my time scrambling to escape dominant positions and return to guard. The white belt mostly struggled to get position and couldn't do much himself offensively so it basically stalled out, but the blue and purple easily passed my guard repeatedly (or bypassed it altogether) and destroyed me. I did take the purple's back once, but I think I got too excited and went for a choke prematurely (which I was doing wrong anyway, I'm pretty sure), didn't get my hooks in properly and he escaped after maybe 3-4 seconds.

A lot of the guys recommended picking one submission and trying to get it over and over until it works and becomes second nature. I came close to getting a kimura a couple times on the blue belt as I could get him off balance and get one of his hands on the ground a lot, and they showed a hip bump sweep to counter a defense of that, so maybe I'll focus on that for a while. I'm also going to start incorporating backwards shrimping drills into my cardio workouts, any other solo drills or beginner tips besides keep going to class would be cool. I think I saw a recommendation somewhere for Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University book and the preview on Amazon looked very interesting, I liked its initial building block of survival, I can definitely understand the importance of that now, lol

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 12, 2011

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

mindtwist posted:

I came close to getting a kimura a couple times on the blue belt as I could get him off balance and get one of his hands on the ground a lot, and they showed a hip bump sweep to counter a defense of that, so maybe I'll focus on that for a while.

I love the hip sweep/kimura combination. Once you get better at reading peoples' body position and defenses, you can go up over the shoulder and do whichever one they're least prepared to defend.

Also, a trick for finishing the kimura: if your partner has grabbed their gi to defend it, try fighting for it for a little bit then relaxing your upper body (while still having the grip in place). A lot of people react to their partner relaxing by relaxing themselves, and you can use that to jedi-mind-trick their defensive grip away.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thoguh, do the spelling and grammar mistakes continue throughout Attacking Judo? Its pissing me off. Is that how all those books on fightingfilms are?

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

generatrix posted:

Also, a trick for finishing the kimura: if your partner has grabbed their gi to defend it, try fighting for it for a little bit then relaxing your upper body (while still having the grip in place). A lot of people react to their partner relaxing by relaxing themselves, and you can use that to jedi-mind-trick their defensive grip away.
This works with any move really. I use this all the time, to the great dismay of many of my opponents. My buddies who I roll with multiple times a week know all my tricks, though :( That being said, they are the ones who will really make you good, specifically because your tricks don't work.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hmm, my gig for the summer seems to be instructing 50% of two new fitness boxing and Savate Formé classes, which is the fitness, no contact version. I have to say French Formé practitioners are often technically great and really fun to watch, but such excellence is limited to frog country mostly.

This is an interesting challenge to say the least! Most of the people are, after all, participating because they don't even want to hit AT someone or have any contact now or in the future, which makes it different to many of the local MT & kickboxing basic courses which have no sparring during the basic but at least aim at that.

Also I'm used to having people punch and kick each other by week two of training. Can I still make it fun and have fun myself? How is their fitness level off the bat? And the most important matter of all will I be able to get people interested in real gay leotard sailor boxing?

edit: drat, I lucked out, both groups have some of our previous students from some time back who want to have another go, a few friends I didn't know are even coming and most of them were #1 really fit for a basic course #2 learn very fast. That was a fun day.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've spent two weeks in Florida being fat and lazy. I can't wait to get home and start training again.
I was hoping to just run a little bit to keep myself active, but stifling heat and humidity mixes really badly with cardio for some reason.

(E: especially if you're used to running when it's 50f and overcast.)

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 13, 2011

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

KildarX posted:

What Thoguh said is fairly accurate but it depends on the style of JJJ you get into and the instructor. Some will focus more on self defense and less of a ground game like you said. Some are more inclined to along the lines of Judo with striking. Others go for a jack of all trades approach to both standing, striking, and grappling.

If you have any more questions about JJJ, feel free to ask. I have been practicing it for 20 years as of this June.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
JJJ is such a ridiculous grab bag it comes down almost completely on who is teaching and what they are doing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

JJJ is such a ridiculous grab bag it comes down almost completely on who is teaching and what they are doing.

I can confirm this. I come from a full contact high TJJ club with very dedicated training partners, with grappling, striking, throws, takedowns and sparring every class-- compared to the TJJ club I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the difference is night and day.

You'll basically have to show up and check it out, but I have a feeling that nine out of ten times, like so many other TMA's, it'll be for kids or terrible.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can confirm this. I come from a full contact high TJJ club with very dedicated training partners, with grappling, striking, throws, takedowns and sparring every class-- compared to the TJJ club I mentioned a couple of posts ago, the difference is night and day.

You'll basically have to show up and check it out, but I have a feeling that nine out of ten times, like so many other TMA's, it'll be for kids or terrible.

I'm of this opinion too. There's a JJJ class after my judo class and their poo poo is mostly dumb bullshit but I've seen another JJJ class somewhere else and it was good enough (well the grappling part, can't comment on the striking).

With this and mostly any other martial art, look for sparring. If there's a lot of real, full resistance, training then it's probably not utter bullshit.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Japanese Jujitsu is an umbrella word that contains a hundred different martial arts in it, basically. Judo is one particularly successful school, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is one particularly successful spin off school of that. At a JJJ school you might be learning some bizarre mcdojo bullshit or you might be learning something completely awesome, hard to say.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
I can confirm what the previous 4 posters have said to be all true, even in the circle of schools and instructors I'm involved with. There are some extremely hell bent on milking money while teaching you garbage, some instructors are at an age where the cant teach some of the more physical aspects and slide toward Small Circle Jujitsu, others teach quality classes both for self defense and sport. Try out a class, if it seems dumb or stupid and the techniques don't work, keep on trucking.

I currently help teach when my schedule allows it with a class being taught at a Krav Maga school.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So tonight our club had the honor of having a Mongolian Representative from the World Championships team at our club tonight. Straight dominating people. I didn't randori with him, but went back to back, and he pinned me real easy. Really cool stuff.

I'm 210, and he was 150ish, and it wasn't even close.

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
Hey guys, I'm looking for a MA school for my 6 year old. We went to several places and our front-runner right now is this place: http://www.championkarate.com/default.htm.

The facilities are nice. They teach Tae Kwon Do and kickboxing, primarily. I am ok with these forms.

The instructor, Sam Kas-Mikha, is something of an enigma to me. He makes a lot of claims about winning competitions. I've seen the trophies and belts all over his place, but did not think to look closer and see what organizations they are awarded from. When I search the guy out, I am only seeing references to himself that he posts, such as his Facebook and stuff. He is still doing exhibitions apparently. Not prize fights exactly. I noticed a number of old posters around his place touting him in exhibitions.

Anyway, can you guys get anything out of looking at the web site? I doubt any of you have heard of the guy, despite him being a "6 time world kick-boxing champion".

I guess I'm wondering if you can tell if this is a quality school, or not. I sort of get a Cobra-Kai vibe from the place. The school seems more intense than the other 5 or 6 that we looked at. They spar a lot from what I saw. They also award belts based on sparring results (not sure if this is how it is everywhere). I overheard him talking to a young student about an upcoming sparring match. He said it looked to him like it was going to be a "good fight".

Overall, the guy seems very oriented to competition, I would say owing to his background. Does this mean anything in the search for an instructor/school?

One thing that has me on the fence. One of the instructors gave my son a 15 minute one-on-one lesson. She went on for a bit about how you should avoid fighting as much as you can. She pointed out that there are situations where a fight is just not avoidable...things like someone punching you in the face, or grabbing you around the head. This, I agree with. But then she said, "avoid fights, but if its unavoidable, you don't come back into this school and say you lost". I am not sure how to take this. One the one hand, yeah, if you have to fight, don't lose. This seemed more like a "school pride" thing, which is part of what gives me the Cobra-Kai feel. What do you guys think about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
"Kenpo ninja" -- fishy. It would be ninjutsu, but ninjutsu and kenpo, I don't even...

His resume sounds really dumb too, even if you take it at face value. He dabbles in a bunch of stuff as a kid, goes and kickboxes for a while, then starts a KARATE school? What?

A first-degree black belt in judo is pretty worthless as a teacher. Kids get those in Japan after two or three years; it's expected that you get it in 9th grade if you're in the judo club.

I tend to automatically distrust anyone who wants me to call them "Master" or "Grand Master."

Edit: Even if it's a legit school, I wouldn't want my kid to be learning in that kind of atmosphere. For me, martial arts is a coin; on one side, you get the physical aspect and on the other, you get the philosophical aspect -- discipline, avoiding violence, etc. That school doesn't sound like the kind of place that would give my kid good, balanced lessons.

• Locked thread