Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's a Lancashire accent. But more importantly, how can you not like Johnny Vegas ? That's like not liking sun, or air.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, this is my opportunity to ask all Britons: does everyone hate Johnny Vegas as much as me, or is that only because I'm American and find his voice like sandpaper to my eardrums?
To appreciate Johnny Vegas, it helps to realise that when he's being loud, obnoxious, and annoying, that's the joke. It's an act.

Doesn't help if his voice annoys you, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Vegas is an odd duck: at first blush he flaunts his alcoholism like it's a badge of pride, something so impressive, he can dispense with actually being funny. But he's moved into taking that image and using it as set dressing for a string of tragi-comic roles, which I find quite affecting. I swear, there have been like five Radio 4 programs in which he plays a drunken idiot who's trapped by his circumstances, and I can just lap that poo poo up. He's quite a bit smarter than he acts most of the time, but is also really unhappy.
As for his voice; his accent is Lancashire (up north, at war with Yorkshire), but the striking bit is a naturally squeaky tone that's been dragged through several years of booze and cigs.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
I have this weird theory that Johnny Vegas would shine in a series similar in tone to Cracker where he plays a psychologist battling addiction problems in a middle class area with a case load of overwrought white collar workers and their petulant midlife crises and infidelities.

Than again I want Doug Stanhope to have his own news program so what do I know?

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 11, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ddraig posted:

You're probably thinking of Andrew Lawrence, who is a bit like Andy Parsons, but actually funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAs0kXpKn_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXn5hvFQysA

Yeah. I don't... I don't find him funny :smith:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, this is my opportunity to ask all Britons: does everyone hate Johnny Vegas as much as me, or is that only because I'm American and find his voice like sandpaper to my eardrums?

If he's as bad as I think everyone should think he is, where exactly is his accent from so I can avoid it at all costs?

I think it really depends on what he's doing, when he's not playing a drunken idiot he's always been pretty funny as far as I recall.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
My dad decided it'd be a grand idea to inflict Sex Lives of the Potato Men on me during my teenage years, so now I have a natural antipathy towards Johnny Vegas. I'm sure anyone would if that was the first production they ever saw him in.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I find Johnny Vegas like Boyle - I can take him in small half hour doses, but when he's the flavour of the month and on every show the lack of depth in the act really comes through.

To be honest I'm kind of the same way with Stewart Lee - deconstruction & repetition is funny, but I couldn't watch more than an hour of it at a time.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

FreakyZoid posted:

I find Johnny Vegas like Boyle - I can take him in small half hour doses, but when he's the flavour of the month and on every show the lack of depth in the act really comes through.

To be honest I'm kind of the same way with Stewart Lee - deconstruction & repetition is funny, but I couldn't watch more than an hour of it at a time.
Coincidentally, Stewart Lee is a massive fan of Johnny and wrote about how brilliant he is in his book.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
there's a faux interview between Lee and Vegas that came after the first Comedy Vehicle, it's on youtube and it's really good. I've not really seen Jonny Vegas in much but I did like him a lot on Shooting Stars and I think he is generally quite funny

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
Johnny Vegas and Sean Lock are the only two people of the 'people who go on QI and don't play it properly' group that I enjoy every time they're on.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

feedmyleg posted:

If he's as bad as I think everyone should think he is, where exactly is his accent from so I can avoid it at all costs?

Don't worry, nobody ever comes up north. We like it that way.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Didn't Johnny Vegas molest a girl on stage at one of Stewart Lee's comedy showcase things?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
^^ What? I have never heard this. But then again, I hate Johnny Vegas so...

BBCNEWS posted:

Entertainer Bruce Forsyth says he is "very proud" after being knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

The recognition for the 83-year-old comes after years of campaigning by fans and a parliamentary Early Day Motion signed by 73 MPs...

The article goes on this is really the only relevent part. I didn't know if there was a thread out there regarding the Queens honour list this year but Brucie is the one person who I've always wanted to have a Knighthood and I am so glad he is going to get one! Feels me with warm fuzzies :3:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If the Queen doesn't say "knight to see you, to see you, knight" when she does it i'll be disappointed.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

thebardyspoon posted:

Didn't Johnny Vegas molest a girl on stage at one of Stewart Lee's comedy showcase things?
Not really. But that's what the woman from the Guardian wanted you to think:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/01/gender.comedy

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

NaDy posted:

If the Queen doesn't say "Lorra lorra Blinda Data socha lorry couple Surprise Surprise! Knight to see you, to see you, knighta Chock! If you cou' be knighta, wot coind wod you be?" when she does it i'll be disappointed.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Zorba the Greek posted:

^^ What? I have never heard this. But then again, I hate Johnny Vegas so...

The article goes on this is really the only relevent part. I didn't know if there was a thread out there regarding the Queens honour list this year but Brucie is the one person who I've always wanted to have a Knighthood and I am so glad he is going to get one! Feels me with warm fuzzies :3:

As well, as there has been a bit of Phillip chat this week, she also named Philip Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom, and I bet his reponse was " 90 years, and you give me more loving work, sausage?"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm in the Vegas is pretty good camp, I'm really eager to see how the next episode of Ideal turns out next week too.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Johnny Vegas kind of plays his character straight & ironic at the same time, it's weird. Sometimes he's brilliant, sometimes he pretends to be (?) so drunk that he fucks up his act completely. He's interesting at any rate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Trickjaw posted:

As well, as there has been a bit of Phillip chat this week, she also named Philip Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom, and I bet his reponse was " 90 years, and you give me more loving work, sausage?"

More likely "I should have had this job 50 years ago!". Can't you imagine it? Phil the Greek, bored of formality and diplomatic lunches, personally leading the recapture of the Falkland islands from the bridge of the HMS Hermes.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goatface posted:

More likely "I should have had this job 50 years ago!". Can't you imagine it? Phil the Greek, bored of formality and diplomatic lunches, personally leading the recapture of the Falkland islands from the bridge of the HMS Hermes.

We would still have the Empire, and possibly be hoving into view of Boston to settle an old score.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

BizarroAzrael posted:

If the Queen doesn't say "Lorra lorra Blinda Data socha lorry couple Surprise Surprise! Knight to see you, to see you, knighta Chock! Lolly bit a beef if you cou' be knighta, wot coind wod you be?" when she does it i'll be disappointed.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Crackerman posted:

I'm positive I've seen him on there making GBS threads it up in the past.

No that was Lee Mack

edit: gently caress, he was in 'Death' apparently.

reflir fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 11, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

Good to hear that Brucie is getting a Knighthood. He's one of those classic fixtures of British TV, and it's nice that he's still going.

Oben posted:

Not really. But that's what the woman from the Guardian wanted you to think:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/01/gender.comedy

If there's one thing The Graun is renowned for, it'd be its sense of humour.

At least, I assume they have one, because there's no other reason for why the perfect storm of insanity that is CiF still exists.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Brucie is a legend. Does anyone remember the his roast? It was a rather large amount of second-rate comedians, and he upstaged all of them.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Mr. Squishy posted:

Vegas is an odd duck: at first blush he flaunts his alcoholism like it's a badge of pride, something so impressive, he can dispense with actually being funny. But he's moved into taking that image and using it as set dressing for a string of tragi-comic roles, which I find quite affecting. I swear, there have been like five Radio 4 programs in which he plays a drunken idiot who's trapped by his circumstances, and I can just lap that poo poo up. He's quite a bit smarter than he acts most of the time, but is also really unhappy.
As for his voice; his accent is Lancashire (up north, at war with Yorkshire), but the striking bit is a naturally squeaky tone that's been dragged through several years of booze and cigs.

His stand up is great, and despite what you think lost of people view drinking excessive amounts as a legitimate badge of pride.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I remember an Interview with Vegas years ago and apparently he was gushing over some silly fantasy roleplay pub chatroom.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I remember an Interview with Vegas years ago and apparently he was gushing over some silly fantasy roleplay pub chatroom.
That sounds like his hilarious appearance on Room 101. I think the chatroom was called 'Beauty's Castle'.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Z-Magic posted:

That sounds like his hilarious appearance on Room 101. I think the chatroom was called 'Beauty's Castle'.

He was "Unabashed".

"I never lied! My glands, they went wrong! In this world of sham marriages, truly are we not the honest ones?"

"I'll be in the turret!"

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Z-Magic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjD8c6cFc8

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Clear your Tuesday evening schedule, Luther is back!

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
I'm marathoning The League Of Gentlemen now Psychoville is finished, haven't watched it for over 10 years. I think now I'm not 8, I can properly appreciate it. Legz Akimbo are scarily accurate, Geoff Tipps is brilliant, and I don't think I've seen any other show that can create a character as sympathetic as Les McQueen. It's a poo poo business :unsmith:

I hear the Christmas Special, third series and film are a massive departure from the first two series. Do you reckon they're worth a watch, or are they as poor as I hear they are?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I'm marathoning The League Of Gentlemen now Psychoville is finished, haven't watched it for over 10 years. I think now I'm not 8, I can properly appreciate it. Legz Akimbo are scarily accurate, Geoff Tipps is brilliant, and I don't think I've seen any other show that can create a character as sympathetic as Les McQueen. It's a poo poo business :unsmith:

I hear the Christmas Special, third series and film are a massive departure from the first two series. Do you reckon they're worth a watch, or are they as poor as I hear they are?

The 3rd series and christmas special are pretty good, the film is pretty poor from what I remember.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Strawman posted:

The 3rd series and christmas special are pretty good, the film is pretty poor from what I remember.

The Christmas Special is very good. It's now one of those things I watch every year, and I totally recommend anyone who likes the League watch it. The panto is decent in its own way, but very odd in tone. Of the two live shows, I'd say it's more fun than Live At Drury Lane. The movie is just... there. I've seen it, I don't recall really hating it (I don't even recall much about it), but it was definitely weaker than any of the TV series.

The third series is very much an experiment. It's not bad, but it's very different, and you won't really like it much if you go in expecting another series like the first two. I certainly didn't, but I'm going to give it another shot now I've watched Psychoville, because in some respects it feels like Psychoville may be a much more refined version of the direction they were trying to move towards. It definitely isn't as laugh-out-loud funny as the first two, and drops the sort-of-sketch format for a more plot-based format, with 6 episode-long stories taking place simultaneously that tie in to provide different perspectives that explain the climactic event in the final minute or two of each episode. They also took out the laugh track (as with the Christmas special), which may have actually gone some way towards making it seem less funny than it was.

I really love the League of Gentlemen, since I remember seeing it when it first aired when I was about 14. Here was a show that was so funny yet so horribly dark. One that could both make you laugh and creep you out a bit. It certainly wasn't one that people would be quoting in the playground the next day, and it was probably all the better for that.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I think that the third season is fantastic, and possibly the best.

I was around 14 when League came out, and I thought it was pretty awful. A couple of years later I watched the first two series one after the other (I think BBC 2 repeated them just before the third came out) and thought that they were excellent.

Then I wasn't at all sold on the third series - I didn't like the move from sketches to story, nor the fact that they killed off two popular characters right away... and the second episode killed it for me, because I really hated the character it focused on.

Again, a few years later I bought all of the DVDs and picked up 3 to try it again - and now it's my favourite. I'm still not a fan of episode 2, but I think it's really interesting that they did something different with the show and the way the whole series comes together (plus the reveal in the final episode) was really enjoyable.

I don't remember much about the movie, apart from the joke about someone having to give up toenails, someone else a bit of hair and, "From you, I need both of your eyes." I have a real phobia about people having their eyes cut out (long story) and it's made me hesitant to watch it again...so it's been a long time since I've seen it, but I think it was reasonable enough - least, I don't recall hating it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think the third series was probably the best.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I quite liked the Drury Lane thing. Didn't know there was another one.

Hair. Shave. Tie.

They also did a radio series that the tv series, LOG, was based on I think. If you've consumed most of that and want something a little different BBC3 had a series called 'Funland' that was on a few years ago about Blackpool.

Also the league of gentleman book is worth picking up from the bits I've read.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Right, I'll definitely give the Christmas special and series 3 a watch. I first watched LOG when I was 8, went to see them live, really enjoyed the first two series. Then I had a nightmare about Tubbs and Edward and I've been too scared to watch the series until now, especially the Christmas special as those masks look creepy. It probably wasn't a great idea letting a child watch something as dark as The League of Gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Anyone seen the advert for Sirens yet?