Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Granted it's a promise and not action yet, but HTC is now saying the Sensation's bootloader will be unlocked via software update. Good news since that along with a few other models got out the door before HTC changed their policy.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-support-statements-show-possible-sensation-unlock-path

If they unlock the Desire S I'm totally buying one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am pretty badly confused and I require someone smarter than me to help. I'm trying to modify a theme for my Droid 2 Global (running AngelRom, a froyo rom), and all I am attempting to do is replace red images with blue ones. However, when I flash the zip file everything looks right until I run an application, at which point a broken looking force close message pops up. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Does android require something special of it's PNG files or something? I am so confused.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
Took my EVO from CM7 nightly 64 to nightly 94 yesterday.

I can now receive MMS messages.

I did not wipe data in the upgrade, but I did need an extra reboot.

It did switch around all my notification sounds/rigntones.

So far my exchange sync is working.

So far my GPS works, then doesn't.. I just reboot if I need GPS, which isn't often.. .I have never done the Sense/#whatever trick.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Those of you running Liberty 0.6 on the DX and having trouble adding events to the calendar. Looks like a fix has been found and it's as easy as going into the liberty customizer and enabling the blur email. Don't know if it works with the aosp email or not, but enabling the blur email app has brought back the ability for me to add events to my calendar.

Weird.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Bob A Feet posted:

Will your phone still boot? or is it stuck in a boot loop?

It still boots and runs perfectly normally. I just can't see to be able to flash my recovery or use rom manager to update or change my rom

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone tried the new MR2 leaked radio for the Thunderbolt? Apparently it's "safer" than the MR1 that was bricking/rebooting the phones. Also reports of better signal, GPS, battery life, etc.

Dr. Pwn
Jul 15, 2005

Money is the blood and soul of men and whosoever has none wanders dead among the living.
I'm trying to root a stock Froyo Samsung Intercept with SuperOneClickRoot. I do everything right, USB debugging on, SD card not mounted, etc, and the rooting process works without a hitch. Unfortunately, the process doesn't seem to "take." After I reboot, the apps that I install, like wireless tether, aren't able to use su and ask if my phone has actually been rooted. What am I doing wrong?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anyone with a Galaxy S Vibrant able to get both CM7 and the Google Apps to work?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

fondue posted:

Anyone with a Galaxy S Vibrant able to get both CM7 and the Google Apps to work?

Working just fine here. What problem are you having?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

quadratic posted:

Working just fine here. What problem are you having?
No google app will launch ... market, gmail, or whatever. I'm not having any problems updating to whatever CM7 release is out, and when I flash the google apps no error message is registered, but none of them actually work on the phone. I assume I've missed some step or something. :P

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fondue posted:

No google app will launch ... market, gmail, or whatever. I'm not having any problems updating to whatever CM7 release is out, and when I flash the google apps no error message is registered, but none of them actually work on the phone. I assume I've missed some step or something. :P

You may want to verify the version of gapps. Sound like you are doing it right.. Update cm7, then flash gapps. You don't even need to reboot between the 2.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

deong posted:

You may want to verify the version of gapps. Sound like you are doing it right.. Update cm7, then flash gapps. You don't even need to reboot between the 2.
That's exactly what I'm doing - i'm using the rom downloaded by the RomManager app, is that the wrong one to use?

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I just bought a Samsung Infuse and I think it's pretty awesome (upgrading from a Iphone 3g). Is there any chance of me getting Gingerbread on it right now? I checked the XDA forums and I don't see any gingerbread roms. I'm guessing I just need to wait a bit.

Gingerbread is the only compelling reason I have seen to root at this point.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

fondue posted:

That's exactly what I'm doing - i'm using the rom downloaded by the RomManager app, is that the wrong one to use?

Strange; I'd imagine RomManager would pick the right one for you. Do you clear the dalvik cache.when you flash? Try that, and I'd guess the next step would be a full wipe/reflash.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Oh boy I am way in over my head. I put the stable version of CM7 on my NC but I was getting horrible battery life and I had heard that the nightlies improved on this. So I downloaded the latest nightly, but then the NC started freaking out, like it thinks I am touching the screen and things just pop up and the screen becomes unresponsive. I tried putting on pheremod because I heard that it was more stable but it is doing the exact same thing. Any idea what I should do?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Doghouse posted:

Oh boy I am way in over my head. I put the stable version of CM7 on my NC but I was getting horrible battery life and I had heard that the nightlies improved on this. So I downloaded the latest nightly, but then the NC started freaking out, like it thinks I am touching the screen and things just pop up and the screen becomes unresponsive. I tried putting on pheremod because I heard that it was more stable but it is doing the exact same thing. Any idea what I should do?

Are you using it while it's plugged in?

I had the same problems and my issues went away after I unplugged it.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

BoyBlunder posted:

Are you using it while it's plugged in?

I had the same problems and my issues went away after I unplugged it.

No.

Edit: So I went ahead and put the stable CM7 back on but it's still going crazy, opening things randomly and the screen will sometimes stop responding. I am wondering if this is a problem with the machine itself - this happened very briefly once before I hacked it, so I might just try and put the stock software on again and get a new machine.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 10, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Is there any way I can make my notification and ringtone on the device itself instead of on the SD Card, so that I don't get the annoying beep thing when the device boots up and is prepping the SD card and so my ringtone doesn't randomly glitch out sometimes?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Is there any way I can make my notification and ringtone on the device itself instead of on the SD Card, so that I don't get the annoying beep thing when the device boots up and is prepping the SD card and so my ringtone doesn't randomly glitch out sometimes?

You can mount /system as R/W and move the files into /system/media/audio/$AUDIOTYPE. Make sure the permissions are 644, reboot, and you should be good.

Edit: You should probably keep another copy of those files on your SD card in a directory with a .nomedia file, so you can easily copy them back into /system if/when you flash a new ROM.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I bought a Thunderbolt yesterday and there doesn't seem to be an actual driver support for x64 win 7. Is this false or am I just NOT finding it on HTC's site?

I'm trying to get this thing rooted but want to make sure all of my bases are covered before pushing into that as I don't want a bricked device.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77617-auto-root-unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

seems to be the auto root that will work with the latest software version. Is anyone aware of something better or easier / less prone to murdering my phone?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Kyrosiris posted:

Ringdroid can do this.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

nickhimself posted:

I bought a Thunderbolt yesterday and there doesn't seem to be an actual driver support for x64 win 7. Is this false or am I just NOT finding it on HTC's site?

I'm trying to get this thing rooted but want to make sure all of my bases are covered before pushing into that as I don't want a bricked device.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77617-auto-root-unroot-windows-updated-5-20-w-mr1-update.html

seems to be the auto root that will work with the latest software version. Is anyone aware of something better or easier / less prone to murdering my phone?

http://www.htc.com/us/support/thunderbolt-verizon/downloads/
I haven't owned a HTC phone so I can't say this with 100% certainty but based upon the instructions for OEM usb drivers on the android SDK website, and the fact that samsung does the same thing, they're likely built into the HTC sync thing.

However shouldn't you phone install them when you plug it into the computer for the first time on its own anyway?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Shanakin posted:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/thunderbolt-verizon/downloads/
I haven't owned a HTC phone so I can't say this with 100% certainty but based upon the instructions for OEM usb drivers on the android SDK website, and the fact that samsung does the same thing, they're likely built into the HTC sync thing.

However shouldn't you phone install them when you plug it into the computer for the first time on its own anyway?

I have a mytouch 4g (glacier) by htc and I needed to get the driver off their website.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
It's unlikely I'll find an answer here, but nothing is worth posting a question on XDA...

Does anybody have any idea where the battery size is defined in Android? As best as I can tell, it's something that's hardcoded into the ROM (or kernel, perhaps?), which makes sense given that under normal circumstances, any given model phone would always have the same battery.

The problem is that my EVO thinks I have a normal 1500 mAh battery, but I really have an extended 3500 mAh battery. The battery itself works fine, but when I'm on the upper end of battery capacity, the readings are completely unreliable (both for charging and discharging, unless it's fully charged).

For example, when I plug it in to charge it, I hit 100% pretty quickly, but I suspect that's 100% of the 1500 mAh battery it thinks I have, because that percentage will fall fast if I unplug it at that point. Instead, I have to leave it plugged in "for a few hours" after it reaches 100% to get a real full charge. There's no way to know when it's really full.. you just have to sort of guess.

It's really not that big of a deal, but I would be so freaking happy to have a reliable (or at least more reliable than it is now) battery meter with my extended battery, and if anybody knows of a way to make that possible, I will love you forever.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

redreader posted:

I have a mytouch 4g (glacier) by htc and I needed to get the driver off their website.

Fair enough, as I said I've not owned a HTC. All of my phones have done it themselves though.

brc64 posted:

It's unlikely I'll find an answer here, but nothing is worth posting a question on XDA...

Does anybody have any idea where the battery size is defined in Android? As best as I can tell, it's something that's hardcoded into the ROM (or kernel, perhaps?), which makes sense given that under normal circumstances, any given model phone would always have the same battery.

The problem is that my EVO thinks I have a normal 1500 mAh battery, but I really have an extended 3500 mAh battery. The battery itself works fine, but when I'm on the upper end of battery capacity, the readings are completely unreliable (both for charging and discharging, unless it's fully charged).

For example, when I plug it in to charge it, I hit 100% pretty quickly, but I suspect that's 100% of the 1500 mAh battery it thinks I have, because that percentage will fall fast if I unplug it at that point. Instead, I have to leave it plugged in "for a few hours" after it reaches 100% to get a real full charge. There's no way to know when it's really full.. you just have to sort of guess.

It's really not that big of a deal, but I would be so freaking happy to have a reliable (or at least more reliable than it is now) battery meter with my extended battery, and if anybody knows of a way to make that possible, I will love you forever.

As far as I know there is absolutely nothing baked into roms about their battery size (unless your oem or rom maker or something has done some funky stuff on their own). Rather, the battery provides the information in most phones and/or it is based on the battery's voltage level.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

brc64 posted:

Have you tried letting the battery charge to what it thinks is full, then unplugging it, turning it off and then plugging it back in? It should turn the charging light orange again (assuming the Evo works like the N1 at all) and keep charging until it's green again. Also wipe battery stats from recovery if you can, this would be after doing this charge up method.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about order or anything.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Fair enough, as I said I've not owned a HTC. All of my phones have done it themselves though.

As far as I know there is absolutely nothing baked into roms about their battery size (unless your oem or rom maker or something has done some funky stuff on their own). Rather, the battery provides the information in most phones and/or it is based on the battery's voltage level.
I know I have seen the 1500 (or possibly 1500000, more likely) show up in some system log before related to the battery, which is why I suspect it's worked into the OS on some level. It would probably take me a while to find again, but I'll look if you want.

big mean giraffe posted:

Have you tried letting the battery charge to what it thinks is full, then unplugging it, turning it off and then plugging it back in? It should turn the charging light orange again (assuming the Evo works like the N1 at all) and keep charging until it's green again. Also wipe battery stats from recovery if you can, this would be after doing this charge up method.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about order or anything.
I've never tried bump charging before with the extended battery before. And since I'm never quite sure when it's really full, I'm not sure what wiping battery stats would do for me. I do know, however, that the official directions that came with the extended battery specifically say to "leave it plugged in for several hours after the light turns green", so if the charge state is coming from the battery itself... it's not doing a very good job of it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

brc64 posted:

I know I have seen the 1500 (or possibly 1500000, more likely) show up in some system log before related to the battery, which is why I suspect it's worked into the OS on some level. It would probably take me a while to find again, but I'll look if you want.

Maybe your battery is misreporting its size

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

There are also a lot of fake extended batteries that are a lot smaller than the label says they are.

If the instructions did indeed suggest that it needs to stay on for an extended period after it's 'fully charged', then assuming it's not a fraudulent battery or misreporting its size, I would guess the evo bases its charge on the battery's voltage alone, which the larger capacity battery probably reaches at like 70% or something

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Shanakin posted:

There are also a lot of fake extended batteries that are a lot smaller than the label says they are.

If the instructions did indeed suggest that it needs to stay on for an extended period after it's 'fully charged', then assuming it's not a fraudulent battery or misreporting its size, I would guess the evo bases its charge on the battery's voltage alone, which the larger capacity battery probably reaches at like 70% or something
The battery is definitely legitimately larger in capacity. The difference is extremely noticeable. I don't think this is anything terribly unusual given that Battery Monitor Widget includes an option to override battery capacity. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do much other than estimate current mAh based on system reported percentage, which isn't always accurate.

To be clear, if I let it charge fully (past 100% for a few hours), the battery percentage seems to be accurate. 100%-90% over a couple hours depending on usage. It's inaccurate when charging or if I unplug it before it reaches "true" 100%. That said, it seems to balance itself out around 70% or so.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Looks like 4G finally works on my EVO after updating to CM7 nightly #97. I've never had 4G work so this is exciting.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Is there a new baseband for the EVO of which I am unaware? I'm getting really lovely reception as of late on my 2.15.00.11.19 and I'm wondering if I need to flash a new radio.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Alucard posted:

Is there a new baseband for the EVO of which I am unaware? I'm getting really lovely reception as of late on my 2.15.00.11.19 and I'm wondering if I need to flash a new radio.
There was a new radio released with the Gingerbread update, it's posted over in this XDA thread.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 14, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Why doesn't that guy post a goddamn MD5 sum? No way I'm flashing a radio without one.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
And to add insult to injury, apparently that guy uses the amend scripting which was supposed to be phased out in android 1.5

I had to switch from clockwork recovery mod to amon ra to install anything. I do have a new functioning radio though. Thanks for the info!

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Anyone else have a Samsung Epic 4G with a battery that is nothing but a pile of crap?

I just got mine activated yesterday. Flashed it with Bonsai 4.1.1 (As CM7 doesn't seem to be 100% ready to roll for the Epic yet and Bonsai looked pretty solid). Even before the flashing, though, the battery was crap.

Anyways, this morning, I took it off the charger. By the end of my work day (8.5 hours after taking it off the charger), it was at around 15-18%. I've tried the following:

-Install JuiceDefender and set it to disable Data whenever the screen is locked (seemed to help a tiny bit).

-Force screen brightness to 10% of the max value, and have it not auto-adjust

-Turn on Airplane mode (did this for 30 minutes and still lost 4-5% battery)

Right now, I drained the battery completely, am recharging it, and am going to calibrate it via a recommended app when it hits 100%. Outside of this, does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the issue?

I'm wondering why Display is showing up as anywhere from 90-95% of my battery use, too. I used the phone for maybe 15-20 texts today. Had Email set to sync once per 15 minutes (and tried making that even longer at points). I do have WidgetLocker installed -- is that possibly causing the massive battery drain? Anything else I should look at here?

Thanks in advance.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

heat posted:

Why doesn't that guy post a goddamn MD5 sum? No way I'm flashing a radio without one.
No clue, but here's the MD5 from my copy that I successfully flashed on my EVO and my wife's:

B0540CF0A59ED72ADB3E43F8751750FD

Alucard posted:

And to add insult to injury, apparently that guy uses the amend scripting which was supposed to be phased out in android 1.5

I had to switch from clockwork recovery mod to amon ra to install anything. I do have a new functioning radio though. Thanks for the info!
I prefer Amon-Ra but there's no excuse for still using Amend at this point.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Was able to temp root my HTC incredible 2, and then while temp-rooted I used Titanium to freeze all the VZW bloatware bullshit, the NFL and Blockbuster apps, etc. Apparently if you remove the apps while temp-rooted it will just reinstall them on next reboot, but if frozen they stay off and invisible.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1068544

working temp root for HTC Incredible 2/S

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I ended up actually flashing Fresh 4.1.1.0, flashing the new radio that came with that, using Fresh to update my PRL and profile, and then recovered back to CM7 without the WiMAX part. Looks like everything took, and I am still rocking CM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I lost my HTC Desire a while ago, but I kept it backed up most of the time with clockwork mod. Soon I should be getting a Droid 2 Global. Is there anyway I can move most of my settings and apps and stuff onto the Droid 2? I'm thinking I could probably extract the stuff from the image files and do it all manually.

Also what is the best rom for Droid 2 Global? I don't think there's any Gingerbread stuff yet. Anyway I can set it to record 720p video?