Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
Thanks, it's my wife actually. We may not be having twins of course (I refuse to use HCG level as an indicator). But at 12 weeks I can at least tell people she's pregnant. She was on bedrest at the end for our first kid, so if we have to do it we have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

DubDisciple posted:

IVF...it...worked. So tired...

Congrats!!!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Well, just got back from that appointment and my doctor thinks I have PCOS as well as stenosis of the cervix (it was a bitch to get up there). So even if I make an egg, the sperm couldn't get through to reach it. He wants me to start on clomid, but I forgot to ask about the stenosis. Hopefully I can assume it wasn't that bad, if he's not having me do anything about it yet?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Negative test and then period today :( I'd actually got quite hopeful, despite the fact that realistically it would be better in a couple of months rather than now. Still sad though :( And can't help but irrationally wonder if there's something wrong.

On the plus side, I can shoot down to the doctors this week, get all the shots I need for vacation, and also safely get the rubella shot that I didnt get as a teenager! So technically a good thing :3:

How long would I have to wait after vaccines before trying again? I guess it's going to be at least a month.

Helanna fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 5, 2011

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey I'm curious as to how often women get pregnant the first month after getting off the pill? Is it common, does it happen ever? From what I've read generally there's no egg the first month but I'd like to know if it's pretty much what I should expect or not.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Awesome Kristin posted:

Hey I'm curious as to how often women get pregnant the first month after getting off the pill? Is it common, does it happen ever? From what I've read generally there's no egg the first month but I'd like to know if it's pretty much what I should expect or not.

I have heard it can take awhile, and so when I went off the pill to start trying for our first, we were caught a little off guard when I was pregnant within the first month. It definitely can happen.

In other news, my mother's day present came a day early, we found out today that we are expecting again! We've been trying for a couple of months, and I'd been feeling a bit queasy in the past week, but my period was only just due today. I was thinking I might be so we got a First Response, and blam! Positive. :D Great timing too, my husband just got an awesome new job.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

FretforyourLatte posted:

In other news, my mother's day present came a day early, we found out today that we are expecting again! We've been trying for a couple of months, and I'd been feeling a bit queasy in the past week, but my period was only just due today. I was thinking I might be so we got a First Response, and blam! Positive. :D Great timing too, my husband just got an awesome new job.

Congratulations!!

Awesome Kristin posted:

I ovulated my first month off of the pill. I didn't get pregnant, but I definitely ovulated. To be fair, for some reason I ovulated on the pill for two months prior to my stopping it and ended up pregnant and miscarrying. Not awesome, but thankfully it lead to the husband agreeing to stop preventing and my not having to use birth control anymore. So as Fret said, it is totally possible.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
My stupid body is being very confusing.

Last month I missed my period entirely, although I was a little crampy and achey. I took a home test, and it very clearly said Not Pregnant. I am now five days late for this month's period too. (I am rarely late, and I NEVER miss periods.) Guess I'll be picking up another test tonight. I'm crampy and achey this time too, though. I don't know what gives. I thought about just going to the doctor for a test instead of buying another home test, but then I thought that I shouldn't get all freaked out. So now I'm just confused about whether I'm pregnant or whether I'm just having a run of weird no-blood periods. (Does that even happen? I quit the Pill last October if that makes a difference.)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Did you only take the one test? When did you take it? You get false negatives if there aren't detectable traces of HCG in your urine - I took one test when my period was two days late and got a negative, took another test at five days late and got a positive.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I did just take the one test, first thing in the morning, a day or two after what should have been the last day of that first missed period. It was the second of a two-pack of tests so I didn't take another one...Guess I will be picking up a pack tonight.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Chicken McNobody posted:

I did just take the one test, first thing in the morning, a day or two after what should have been the last day of that first missed period. It was the second of a two-pack of tests so I didn't take another one...Guess I will be picking up a pack tonight.

Aaaand hoo-boy...I got a very faint +. Will pee on the other stick in the morning and then make a doctor's appointment to be sure, but it kinda looks like I might be up the duff!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Awesome! False positives are really rare without taking certain medications, so chances are, you're in the family way. Congrats! :)

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
When taking Prometrium to induce a period, you stop once the period comes, right?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I guess I could wait a few days to see what happens but was hoping for some ideas about what's going on with me.

I stopped taking the pill a little over a month ago. The first day of my last period was April 11. For the past two days I've been feeling really crampy, especially on the left side. Last night there was a tiny bit of blood but this morning there's not really anything and the cramping has gotten better.

Could this be my body adjusting without the pills? I guess if there's no more bleeding I should take a pregnancy test this weekend. I just have no idea if this has anything to do with quitting the pill, or if it is symptoms of pregnancy.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It could well be implantation bleeding. I remember from the crazy forums that it's usually light pink, but I don't like to symptom spot so I don't know the specifics. However, when I came off the pill I had a few weird little mini-periods before having a proper one. Maybe leave it a few days then pee on a stick.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
could also be ovulation cramping?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

jomiel posted:

could also be ovulation cramping?

So basically the symptoms are the same for either outcome? ugh

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

So basically the symptoms are the same for either outcome? ugh

I don't know about anyone else, but my ovulation pain is more of a sharp, stabby pain on one side while my cramping is usually all over and not as stabby.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
What you describe does sound like ovulation cramps to me, too.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Well that just took an interesting turn. Four out of four cheapy pregnancy tests came up with dark double lines. Blood test on Monday!

Edit: This just made my college graduation weekend even more awesome.

Bahunter22 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 13, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Bahunter22 posted:

Well that just took an interesting turn. Four out of four cheapy pregnancy tests came up with dark double lines. Blood test on Monday!

Edit: This just made my college graduation weekend even more awesome.

Congrats!!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So still no bleeding but I still feel just kinda weird in my girl parts. Not really a stabbing pain, not really cramps. I guess it's like right before you feel the cramps coming on.

Like I said before there was only the tiniest amount of blood a few days ago and then nothing. I've never had that happen before. It's always cramps, blood, done.

Stick peeing time planned for tomorrow morning. Or might that be too early?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Could be too early (e.g. false negative) or could be just fine. The unfortunate thing is that it's different for every woman. I know women who got a positive pregnancy test 7 days after conception, and then there's me, who didn't get a positive for way longer than the whole "right after your last missed period" thing-- I was 7 weeks pregnant (5 weeks past conception).

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Ok I understand. Maybe I'll take one of them tomorrow morning and save the other for later in the week.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
Well, me and my husband both have agreed that it's time to start trying. Apparently this island does magical thing to peoples fertility seeing as how there are 4 pregnant women on my street alone.. And at least 3-4 other women with kids under 2. My street only has 20 houses, too.

I have PCOS so I've been on the pill for the past 6 years and last November I decided to come off of it because my husband and I were about to be separated (yay, military life) for a couple of months. I also started low carbing around that time. My cycles kind of went like this:

December: None.
January 18th-24th: Regular period.
February 19th-14th: Regular period, maybe a little lighter.
March 15th I spotted.. But I picked my husband up that night, we had sex, no more period at all.
April 20th & 21st: Super light spotting that I only noticed when I wiped.

Now, I had been keeping track of everything on a program on my phone and it predicts ovulation or whatnot. Well, It says that on May 3-6th I should have ovulated. My husband and I had sex on the 3rd and 4th but I didn't even think about any of it.

I also, last week started taking Metformin again. I eat pretty low carb so I only take 500mg a day or else I get way too sick. Well, 3 or 4 days after I started Metformin I got egg white mucus and a lot of it (maybe I spontaneously ovulated then?). Then my breasts got so sore it hurt to wear a bra and I've never had that happen. I've also been pretty sick and I'm losing about .5-1 lb a day, which very well could be the Metformin.

Also, I don't know if my March period disappeared because we were getting ready to move to a new country and I was just beyond stressed out. But I figured my April one would be normal and maybe a little heavier. I've also lost weight, over 10% of my body weight, I'm still over weight, but it's a work in progress. So I guess that could be effecting my periods.

Basically, I'm just a nutcase right now. I need to find a group of doctors here, but unfortunately my options in Guam are basic military Dr's.. There aren't any Reproductive Endocrinologists here on the island, only regular Endocrinologists. And there's no fertility clinics out in town either.

Either way, within the next week 3 things will happen. 1, I get my period. 2, I get a positive pregnancy test. 3, my period has disappeared and I'll probably need provera to make it come back.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
After a lifetime of not wanting kids, I've decided I'm going to have kids now. I started charting my periods and taking vitamins two months ago to prepare, and today I ordered some of those ovulation predictor strips from Amazon as well as scheduling a "pre-conception" visit to my gynecologist. Pretty excited to start peeing in cups.

I've gotten pregnant accidentally (while on birth control) at least twice, so I doubt I'll have any problems getting pregnant, but I've never kept one in there before, so who knows how good I'll be at staying pregnant. Either way, I'm charting and using pee sticks because I'm enjoying learning about the science and biology aspect of all of this stuff. This thread has been really interesting and informative, and I'm really surprised that more of this isn't taught in school, or at least mentioned by the gynecologist. Who knew periods were so complex?

We're not actually trying until July, because I have a variety of psych issues and winter brings horrible depression for me. I figured that I should make sure I'm having a spring or summer baby, because if it's winter when I deliver and then postpartum depression hits on top of that, I'll be one of those ladies who drowns her babies in a bathtub. Of course then I'm going to have to struggle with being pregnant during the time my depression peaks, but that seems like the less risky option to me.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'm glad this thread exists! So my husband and I are ready for a baby, I stopped taking my birth control back in September and have had some off periods, just when I think they're finally starting to get normal they go back to being weird. My doctor didn't seem too worried about it, just said to get an ovulation kit which I did but forgot to test a few times then I got a bad allergic reaction to a medicine that had me down for a week. Well now I'm ready to try again but still don't have a period, it's been over 30 days, not sure exactly as I was keeping track of that in my phone and it died permanently. So my question is, has odd periods made it more difficult to conceive?

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I was very proactive in the last thread before they split. Our youngest is now a year old and the wife and I want to start on number 5. She has been in Tri-Sprintec for 4 months and is going to stop today. As someone who has almost never taken birth control before now and has always been very fertile how long can we expect us to have issues conceiving? From what I'm reading just missing a single pill can increase your chance of getting pregnant but I don't know the details.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

ODC posted:

I was very proactive in the last thread before they split. Our youngest is now a year old and the wife and I want to start on number 5. She has been in Tri-Sprintec for 4 months and is going to stop today. As someone who has almost never taken birth control before now and has always been very fertile how long can we expect us to have issues conceiving? From what I'm reading just missing a single pill can increase your chance of getting pregnant but I don't know the details.

I don't think there's any sort of rule about this since plenty of people get pregnant while on birth control. I know some people take a few months to start ovulating normally, but then there are people like me whose eggs are apparently ready to bust down the door the minute you're 4 hours late in taking your pill. My mother, her sister and myself have all gotten pregnant more than once (each) while taking birth control pills, so I think it's highly variable according to each individual. You said she's very fertile, so I would expect that you shouldn't have any problem at all. Missing one pill is all it took for me, even when I remembered to take the next pill the next day.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ODC posted:

I did tons of research about conceiving after birth control and everything I read said it is possible to get pregnant right away after stopping birth control, just depends on whether or not a woman ovulates right after and some do, others it takes a while. So based on what I read in my own research I would have to say that if she was regular before birth control with ovulation then there should be no problems. However my doctor told me to wait at least 3 months, my research told me this is to allow time for the body's own hormones to kick back into gear and to give the doctors a more accurate way to predict due date as periods from birth control aren't what they go by, since a woman can have her last "pill period" and then ovulate a week later. I am not so lucky, my periods have been all over the board after stopping birth control 9 months ago.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
3 months definitely isn't enough for all women; it took around 7 months after stopping birth control pills for me to ovulate again.

How were her periods before going on birth control? That might be a factor. I had really irregular cycles, so it didn't surprise me that it took a while for me to be fertile again.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
She is pretty darn regular with her periods. If anything the pill caused her to have more. I guess we'll find out though since she stopped last night.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Fire In The Disco posted:

3 months definitely isn't enough for all women; it took around 7 months after stopping birth control pills for me to ovulate again.

I'm at 11 months. I think that MAYBE I ovulated earlier this month. I had weird pains like in the hip/ pelvic area for just a couple of hours and when I looked them up they said they could be ovulation pains.(It was about the "right" time, too.) I didn't test since I didn't have one around. I've NEVER felt those pains before in my life. I'm 27. Could I seriously have never ovulated before?

(And no luck this month, even with the pains...)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

SassySally posted:

I'm at 11 months. I think that MAYBE I ovulated earlier this month. I had weird pains like in the hip/ pelvic area for just a couple of hours and when I looked them up they said they could be ovulation pains.(It was about the "right" time, too.) I didn't test since I didn't have one around. I've NEVER felt those pains before in my life. I'm 27. Could I seriously have never ovulated before?

(And no luck this month, even with the pains...)

You may want to start tracking for fertility. You'll get a clearer picture of whether you're ovulating or not that way. I read TCOYF and started tracking as well as using ovulation predictor strips. I have the strips to thank for getting pregnant on the first try, because I was using them twice a day (once in the morning, once in the evening), saw the LH surge in the evening, and we went to town. By the next morning, I wasn't surging anymore, so had I not done the evening test, I would have missed the surge entirely.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Mnemosyne posted:

We're not actually trying until July, because I have a variety of psych issues and winter brings horrible depression for me. I figured that I should make sure I'm having a spring or summer baby, because if it's winter when I deliver and then postpartum depression hits on top of that, I'll be one of those ladies who drowns her babies in a bathtub. Of course then I'm going to have to struggle with being pregnant during the time my depression peaks, but that seems like the less risky option to me.

Yes because babies hibernate during winter and aren't difficult at all.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Lingling posted:

Yes because babies hibernate during winter and aren't difficult at all.

I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying I just shouldn't have a baby period?

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

deviledseraphim
Jan 22, 2002
me gusta besar el pollo desnudo!!
I have seasonal depression issues and a boatload of psych issues too, so I certainly think people with broken brains should be able to have kids. But, if you only think you can handle having a baby during a few months of the year and are making joking but not so joking remarks about drowning a baby in a bathtub, then yeah, maybe you should wait to conceive until you have your issues better under control. Also having a baby at ALL during winter is going to be horribly stressful, doesn't matter if they are 3 months or 12 months. My PPD really erupted when my baby was 4 months old, which was actually in the middle of summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My baby was born in January and it was incredibly difficult, but there are always going to be challenges with an infant no matter what. Sleep regressions, teething, them generally not giving a gently caress if you've had a bad day etc. I don't think people with mental illness should be forcibly child-free but I find it really off-putting to make a joke like that especially when you have depression issues. PPD is extremely serious and even women who have never had any issues are susceptible to it. poo poo, even dads can have pretty serious baby blues.

• Locked thread