Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armyman25 posted:

So, after owning an Real American motorcycle for 2 months, I'm saying never again. While I was deployed I bought a 2003 Indian Spirit over E-bay. Not the best move, but it was impulsive and I thought, hey should be alright.

Looks pretty, right?

You know, I just couldn't justify owning an exotic unless it gave me something amazing. That's why I've never bought an MV Agusta F1000...sure, it looks better than your typical supersport, but that's just not enough sometimes :(

Hope that things go well with the sale. I'd offer to take a look at it but I'm pretty sure I'm most of the way across the country :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks anyhow. My thought was I'd like to get an American v-twin that's not a Harley, but I would have been better off buying a new Victory. A friend of mine has a 2001 Spirit and hasn't had nearly this many issues, I'm thinking I either got a lemon, or the previous owner didn't do the best job modding it with the aftermarket exhaust.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Armyman25 posted:

So, after owning an Real American motorcycle for 2 months, I'm saying never again. While I was deployed I bought a 2003 Indian Spirit over E-bay. Not the best move, but it was impulsive and I thought, hey should be alright.

Your problems sound to be more with a lovely shop than necessarily a lovely bike. Clearly you're having problems with something, probably tuning. Find someone more competent.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KARMA! posted:

I want to buy this exhaust, but I don't NEED it since the standard exhaust on my tdm is less than a year old. It is also pricy.

I can still sell the original or something, right? :(

If that eliminates the collector, as well as the second can, it's well worth the money. The weight saving should be huge. This is why the Akra is the holy grail of TRX systems - it's a 2-1, and you know how heavy the standard Yamaha items are. You should see high 70s with that setup and a dynojet kit - there is a fair amount of restriction in the exhaust. Also much sharper response when set up right.

Of course it's a TDM 850, so I don't know how much that matters to you?

The 850s do sound awesome with a loud can/cans on. Only downside is that to truly appreciate it, you have to let someone else ride the bike, as you don't get the full bass experience when you're riding.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

n8r posted:

Your problems sound to be more with a lovely shop than necessarily a lovely bike. Clearly you're having problems with something, probably tuning. Find someone more competent.

I'm going to run a bottle of sea foam through it tomorrow, see if that helps out at all. I pulled the spark plugs, they were black with soot.

Went home to get my Bonneville, battery was dead on it. Just not my day to ride.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

I'm going to run a bottle of sea foam through it tomorrow, see if that helps out at all. I pulled the spark plugs, they were black with soot.

Went home to get my Bonneville, battery was dead on it. Just not my day to ride.

If the plugs are black, it's getting too much fuel, not too little. Sea foam isn't going to help. It sounds more like the bike is jetted too rich for the pipes.

Also seconding Z3ns statement, you have a poo poo mechanic. When they keep giving it back to you saying it's a different thing each time; they're taking shots in the dark and they either don't have the gumption or knowledge to troubleshoot your bike properly.

LO Technology
Mar 5, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ReelBigLizard posted:

If the plugs are black, it's getting too much fuel, not too little. Sea foam isn't going to help. It sounds more like the bike is jetted too rich for the pipes.

Actually it might help. My best bet would be sticky float needle valves for a bike that's been sitting so long.

There's no real reason to suspect jetting here. Carburetor flooding seems more likely.

What I'd do is to pull off the carburetors, remove the float bowls, remove the floats, pull the float valves, inspect the conical closing surface of the float needles for wear and deposits, replace or polish if needed, remove the float valve seats and inspect them. Replace if needed. Clean the tiny fuel filter above the valve seat. Reassemble and check float level. Replace black spark plugs with new iridium spark plugs (they're worth it).

The above is probably just me being odd. A bit of Redex or Seafoam might clean your float valve enough. Personally I wouldn't rely on it though.

You could have done a lot worse than an Indian. If they weren't ridiculously expensive where I live, I could see myself riding one on Sundays.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Saga posted:

If that eliminates the collector, as well as the second can, it's well worth the money. The weight saving should be huge. This is why the Akra is the holy grail of TRX systems - it's a 2-1, and you know how heavy the standard Yamaha items are. You should see high 70s with that setup and a dynojet kit - there is a fair amount of restriction in the exhaust. Also much sharper response when set up right.

Of course it's a TDM 850, so I don't know how much that matters to you?

The 850s do sound awesome with a loud can/cans on. Only downside is that to truly appreciate it, you have to let someone else ride the bike, as you don't get the full bass experience when you're riding.

Argh, that makes too much sense. I hate you now.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Blaster of justice banned again? First Gil Scott-Heron and now him. Why do they persecute my brothers? :black101:

KARMA! posted:

Argh, that makes too much sense. I hate you now.

With Micron race cans and a kit, my TRX dyno'd at 79bhp, up from the regulation 72.5.

So it should certainly do some good. IIRC the 2-1 setups tend to see more gains in the midrange and less top end. But since the 850 motor has a relatively poor curve below 4k (compare it to a carby 900SS, which looks like Ayers Rock), that's not such a bad thing.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Armyman25 posted:

Have you checked the Gilroy Indian forum for clues? I'm sure the answer lies within. Probably some links to quality service shops.

http://www.gilroyindianriders.com

My guess is it's filled with tales of woe about how the reformed Indian Co wants nothing to do with bikes from this incarnation. Maybe you're on the right track thinking Victory, since Polaris just bought the operation--mayhap you could do better on a trade with them since they'll be flying the flag.

Evvvvvvvvvvrybody wants to appropriate iconic brands without doing the actual work that went into creating them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Well, I put a bottle of Sea Foam in the gas tank and took the bike for a ride. It ran a bit better, but still backfired every now and then. Mainly it's at low speeds and RPM under 3000 that it runs rough, coughs, and backfires, which isn't good, given the nature of the bike.

The local Harley dealership is an S&S engine dealer, I'm going to talk to them about it tomorrow.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You have any idea what your jetting settings are currently? I'm sure there is some sort of a resource for jets + pipes + engine around on a forum.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Not certain at the moment. Dismantling the carbs on my bike is a bit more than I wanted to take on. The original idea of dropping it off at the mechanic I usually work with was that they would inspect the bike for any deficiencies, let me know, and correct them.

Apparently since they don't deal with Indians very often this was a bit beyond them. I'm hoping that the Harley dealer will be more knowlegable regarding this type of bike.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Went on a nice trip from Baltimore to NYC and back this weekend, which was my first time riding anywhere out of the state. I was a bit worried my hands wouldn't hold out because I have some tendon problems like most geeks, and whenever I'm in stop-and-go traffic my left hand starts killing me from working on the clutch constantly. I don't seem to have the same problems with the throttle though, and while my fingers would start to tingle if I kept my hand in one position for too long, all I really had to do was flex my fingers and reposition my thumb every once in a while and it was fine.

I also have heard so many people speak poorly of the Bonneville stock seat, but my rear end made the trip just fine. The only thing that really ended up killing me was my gigantic hulking backpack that was poorly supported and didn't have any padding on the straps. My back got pretty sore and I actually have bruises around my shoulders from the straps.

Lessons learned from the trip:
* When getting onto the NJ Turnpike, the far-right truck lane won't detect a motorcycle to give you the ticket.
* If you're having batter problems, don't leave your bike parked on a totally flat street in the middle of the NYC financial district, even if you think it would be fun to park on Wall St. Bump starting you bike in that crowded of an area is extremely difficult.
* NJ gas station attendants will let you pump your own gas if you ask nicely.
* The travel time gained by riding at 90mph isn't really worth all the extra wind kicking your rear end.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

SlightlyMadman posted:

* NJ gas station attendants will let you pump your own gas if you ask nicely.

The whole "you can't pump your own gas" thing really only applies to cars here. Station attendants would rather you pump it on a bike since they all seem to be scared to death of getting gas on the tank paint. I recently realized if you use a card and activate the pump by yourself the attendants don't mind and will sometimes thank you for it.

Love that feeling of being in and out while cagers are still waiting for the attendant to walk over.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm trying to decide if buying a house on the other side of a off-road area from work would be a great or horrible idea. The thought of a 10 mile single track and 5 mile gravel road commute sounds great but I'm wondering how long it would be enjoyable.

Anyone lucky/unlucky enough to commute off-road?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

* If you're having batter problems,

You collided with a fresh doughnut stand in lower Manhattan?

What a sticky situation! :commissar:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Rode to Dewey Beach (around 300 miles round trip), hit the beach for 5 minutes before the thunder started and we were cleared off. Rode back home through 3 different thunderstorms, and yet the worst part was my butt. I need a new seat I guess. Can anyone attest to whether or not a Corbin is actually worth the money, or can I feel confident looking into something a little more reasonably priced?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saga posted:

You collided with a fresh doughnut stand in lower Manhattan?

What a sticky situation! :commissar:

Stop trying to get a rise out of me!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm trying to decide if buying a house on the other side of a off-road area from work would be a great or horrible idea. The thought of a 10 mile single track and 5 mile gravel road commute sounds great but I'm wondering how long it would be enjoyable.

My mom's house in MO is on a dirt road and it's not bad if it's flat, just that everyone tends to drive trucks and they're all perpetually dirty. Personally I wouldn't mind it it all I rode was a dual sport/supermoto. I wouldn't want to do it on a nice sportbike or standard though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Armyman25 posted:

Dismantling the carbs on my bike is a bit more than I wanted to take on.

Apparently since they don't deal with Indians very often this was a bit beyond them. I'm hoping that the Harley dealer will be more knowlegable regarding this type of bike.

For what it's worth, getting to and dismantling the single carburetor on that engine is a fairly straightforward operation. And I think you're on the right track with a Harley shop. They would surely have a clue on this. The engine is either a off-the-shelf S&S or an off-the-shelf H-D Powerplus, which I am certain they see lots of.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Some dirt roads are a lot more fun than others.

One of my optional routes to work consists of a mile of single track to an eight mile long dirt road. Unfortunately, the dirt road is wide, mostly straight, and it got boring really really fast. Even blasting down it at full throttle got annoying because of the dust and occasional car going 10 mph sitting around one of the few blind corners.

After doing this route maybe ten times, I never wanted to ride it again. I would LOVE a commute that was a mix of fire roads and single track, though. That would be heaven.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
$4.20/gal ride motorcycles erryday

Has anyone noticed with fuel so expensive that they see more motorcycles on the road? I have noticed a few more than usual, but not as many as I thought I would

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not really. Just the regular summer surge. See a few more scooters than I did a couple years ago, but a lot of people seem to have given up on them and are trying to sell them off.

It just doesn't make sense to buy a bike or scooter to save money on gas. It'll take way too long to pay off the initial cost plus insurance.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Uthor posted:

It just doesn't make sense to buy a bike or scooter to save money on gas. It'll take way too long to pay off the initial cost plus insurance.

Well, it does if you're giving up your car or getting one instead of a new car, especially since the purchase price and insurance are also much less. Honestly though, despite the psychological impact that gas prices have on Americans for some reason, it would be monumentally stupid to put yourself at such greater risk of bodily harm just to save a few bucks.

Let's be honest, there are so many other reasons that are way better than money.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The myth of bikes being cheaper is clearly from people that need to justify the purchase to themselves and others. I guarantee any savings you make on gas will be destroyed when you buy that $800 exhaust, upgrade your chain to a 520 kit, splurge on those new sticky tires, buy that PCIII, etc...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JP Money posted:

The myth of bikes being cheaper is clearly from people that need to justify the purchase to themselves and others. I guarantee any savings you make on gas will be destroyed when you buy that $800 exhaust, upgrade your chain to a 520 kit, splurge on those new sticky tires, buy that PCIII, etc...

Or, you know, buy gear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Or, you know, buy gear.

That Mobil 1 synthetic and the tires that get eaten up in a year aren't cheap either.

It's a good myth though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

clutchpuck posted:

It's a good myth though.

You could save money if you bought a UJM, did basic maintenance instead of upgrading and spent your money wisely on affordable gear and midrange touring tires.

You know, if you were the responsible frugal sort of person, but where's the fun in that?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Gear isn't something I consider a "bike" purchase. It's more of a universal "if you want to ride those, you're gonna need these" kind of thing, especially since it transfers between bikes. I also don't really consider replacement worn parts like brakes or tires or oil too much of an "extra" as it has to be done. Even excluding all that you usually end up dumping a bunch of money into a bike on go-fast parts (or look-fast parts usually.)

^^^ You're right, you COULD do that. Up until the point that you go online after 6 months and see a pic of a cafe'd out bike like yours that gives you the urge to then spend a ton of money restoring it / turning it into a cafe racer. Seems like that's the trend anyways.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Getting your wife into the lifestyle really balloons the cost, too. Between the two of us, the car gets considerably better gas mileage. :)

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Hehe, and even if you're getting 50mpg, it mysteriously takes you 20 miles to get somewhere that's only two miles away ...

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

JP Money posted:

I haven't done any of the above. My F2 cost a grand and gets about 45mpg on regular. My one-piece zak suit was $100 use off ebay 6 years ago. I buy unfashionable helmets and keep them for ~5 years. I buy used sport-touring tyres. The bike's insured for 110 (for comparison, anything less than a very slow hatchback would cost me 800+ to insure - a Miata or a 325i touring would be over a grand).

I probably have the cheapest vehicle, most economic vehicle in my company car park. The priciest thing is rubber, but take-offs keep that down. The saving on insurance alone would buy a year's worth of Supercorsas.

Now I guess there are people who buy lots of crap for their bikes. There are also people who do that for their cars - see The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity for lots of examples. Neither is mandatory.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You are the minority I'd imagine. For every guy like you on an old F2 there are plenty of kids on new GSXR's and such dropping bank on shiny bits.

It's pretty easy to just get by on a stock bike only replacing wear parts. I don't really have too much done to mine besides an exhaust, 520 kit, flushmounts, and tires. Doesn't mean there aren't plenty of guys out there on BMW's and liter bikes with every add-on you can imagine.

I got by just fine on my F4i on the cheap. Cheap bike, insurance is 110 a year, gets about 35mpg around town, parts aren't unreasonable, etc. Doesn't mean I couldn't go wayyy overboard with dumb add-on's. I don't try to justify it as economical though, I certainly haven't saved the cost of the bike + gas, insurance, parts, etc. in the time I've had it compared to my car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's worth noting that the F4i is a loving tank and the only issue they really have is the regulator/rectifier (and CCT if the ticking bothers you). You can ride them into dust without too much of an issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KozmoNaut posted:

You could save money if you bought a UJM, did basic maintenance instead of upgrading and spent your money wisely on affordable gear and midrange touring tires.

You know, if you were the responsible frugal sort of person, but where's the fun in that?

To be fair, my friend did save money buying a $600 1970's Honda, but he was making a 20 mile each way trip to work in a big van that he bought for touring with a full band. Going from 16 MPG to 50 added up quickly.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I can see how it doesnt make sense to buy a bike to save on gas but since I already have a bike anyway, I'm trying to ride to work more and more. 45-50mpg on my SV beats the hell out of 15-17mpg in my jeep. If I do that for a week it'd be 1-2 tanks of gas -25$, whereas the jeep will be about $70.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
If I was really mad keen to save money, I could buy an old 125. Very cheap "motoring" indeed.

Even here, where 125s are at a premium because people can ride them on L plates with a car licence and a one-day "CBT" certificate, a car can't even come close to the combination of low/cheap maintenance, fuel efficiency and low capital outlay. As we all know, the Japanese 125 commuter singles are fairly unbreakable in normal operation, and I doubt there's any car that could better a 125 in decent nick, period, as in even if you bought a new car. The level of complexity these days is such that something's going to break on them. Even if it's pointless trim falling off or something like that.

You can't get equivalent MPG figures out of a car, especially off a highway. And a car that costs £1,500, like a good 125, is never going to be even close. Even if you bought new, my experience with the new hyper-efficient, ultra-lean-burn start stop and whatnot cars is that it is all but impossible to reproduce the factory's claimed MPG. Latest example, I just had a rental Insignia diesel for a few days. The spec sheet claims something like 50.9mpg on the highway. Going as gently as I could on my commute, using correct throttle technique and the straightest roads, I got 33.4 average. That's near as dammit the same as my rattly old petrol BMW doing the same trip, only I had to pay a lot more for diesel. If I'd shelled out £27,000 for a "fuel efficient" car, I'd be livid. Actually, I'd be asking for my money back. I don't know why more people aren't doing that really.

Then factor in the cost of acquisition. You can buy a running car for £1,500 no problem. But for that price it's not going to be even close in running and maintenance costs.

We're not even getting into the cost of car insurance over here, the petrol and time saved if you commute in heavy traffic (filtering), and the fact that road tax on a car old enough to cost £1-2,000 is going to be £215 a year. The equivalent rate for a bike up to 150cc is £16 a year!

My brother in law has a 125 lying around and I have a set of distanzias that came with my KDX. I might actually ask to borrow it, especially as I have garage space for it and he doesn't.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think Honda's new stop-start-equipped 125 scoot does something stupid like 130mpg.

EDIT; holy poo poo my typing

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

SlightlyMadman posted:

Hehe, and even if you're getting 50mpg, it mysteriously takes you 20 miles to get somewhere that's only two miles away ...

Haha, this is so true. I was trying out a gps a friend let me borrow and after a few days I was looking at the saved tracks and was sort of shocked that every route I took involved sidewalks, onramps, and/or twisty roads in the wrong zip code and none of them were actually the correct way to get to my destination: to work.

I'm sure it's physically possible, but no way am I saving money on gas.