Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camel of the Sea
Dec 22, 2007
Ship of the Desert
Does anyone know if we could be getting the Magic Candle games? Some things I read say EA published them, others say Mindcraft. Assuming they're not owned by a fast food company now or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I just bought Patrician 3 and Port Royale 2 on a whim because they looked nice.

Come tell me how smart/dumb that was!

(Let's hope these games are easier to get into than SMAC because that game is like heading head first into a brickwall. Never played a Civ game in my life.)

Port Royale 1 was a better game although I don't think it plays nice with modern OS's. Speaking of Patrician games I once saw a mother buying her 5 year old son Patrician 3 in EB. I don't know if she made a bad decision or if the kid saw the front cover and made up his mind based on that, but I hope he enjoyed his hardcore trading simulation set in the time of the Hanseatic League.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Cynicide posted:

Port Royale 1 was a better game although I don't think it plays nice with modern OS's.

I own and have enjoyed PR2, but I've never played 1. How do they differ?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sethsez posted:

The expansion allows for more resolutions, which justifies its existence all by itself.

And you can literally just play without any of the new factions at all. There is no reason not to have the expansion. SMAX basically lets me run an Alpha Centauri game at 1920*1080 natively.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

They didn't include a number to call. :smith:

Now onto UW2.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
It's probably on your registration card. You did fill it out right??

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Hank Morgan posted:

They didn't include a number to call. :smith:

Now onto UW2.

It would be hilarious if the GoG version provided Richard Garriot's voicemail number :D

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

Overwined posted:

I own and have enjoyed PR2, but I've never played 1. How do they differ?

Port Royale 1 didn't artificially reduce the amount of ships that could enter combat. You could patrol your trading lanes with a 20 ship floatilla and engage that one pirate who had been giving you trouble with all of them at once. It was mostly for game balance reasons, but it was one of the things I really enjoyed about the first game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Cynicide posted:

Port Royale 1 didn't artificially reduce the amount of ships that could enter combat. You could patrol your trading lanes with a 20 ship floatilla and engage that one pirate who had been giving you trouble with all of them at once. It was mostly for game balance reasons, but it was one of the things I really enjoyed about the first game.

Ha ha ha that's awesome. I've sunk a lot of time into PR2 and now I'm sort of regretting not getting the first. Does it do it the other way around? Because unless the combat was changed, fighting a 25-ship navy with only one of your ships at a time would be bullshit. 5-on-1 is bad enough.

What other differences do the two have? I'm wondering if I shouldn't spring for the first now that I already have the second.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Can we make suggestions for games they should offer?

I really need this one: http://www.mobygames.com/game/fable (No, this is not Molyneux's Fable)

It's super-hard to find the original voice-over version.

/Nevermind, found the "wanted" page.

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 12, 2011

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Cynicide posted:

Awesome, I may have to pick it up. Is the rest similar? Can you do the same things that you can do in PR2, ie making massive trade networks and even founding your own town?

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
Not sure, I didn't put a lot of time into Port Royale 2. You can set up automated trade routes, build structures in cities and go on missions. I think you can swear allegience to an empire as well, it's been a long time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Harmonica posted:

If someone did that to me, I would try to sabotage them. That's part of what I did in most Capitalism games, try to screw with my competitors. Sadly since I was pretty young then my strategies mostly revolved around driving the market into the ground, where upon I would quit and start a new game. In 2 a fun thing to do is to create a vastly better product through refinement whilst locking down all the resources needed so nobody can possibly compete quality wise. I think you can also do something where you buy out all the stock of your competitors and put it in a warehouse (or sell it in another region). Once there's a gap in the market you just flood it with your superior brand stuff at inflated prices.

It's a shame nobody has done anything in the business genre much since.

Yeah I have a lot of factories so I love loving with competitors who think they're allowed to buy my toothpaste :mad:

Speaking of factories, :lol: the profit margin of video cameras when you're vertically integrated

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009
Playing Crusader brings back some good old memories: the cool but repetitive techno music, the clunky control that you spend as much time fighting as the enemy, the cheesy live action, and quicksave is best friend. It just dawned on me the Crusader engine is probably a prototype of the Ultima 8 engine.

By the way, is DarkStar One a fun game?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

symphoniccacophony posted:

It just dawned on me the Crusader engine is probably a prototype of the Ultima 8 engine.
Other way around. Besides simply being older, U8 is 320x200x256 and Crusader: No Remorse is 640x480x256. I believe No Regret added 16-bit colour.

The helmet is a pretty great clue though heh.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

symphoniccacophony posted:

Playing Crusader brings back some good old memories: the cool but repetitive techno music, the clunky control that you spend as much time fighting as the enemy, the cheesy live action, and quicksave is best friend. It just dawned on me the Crusader engine is probably a prototype of the Ultima 8 engine.

By the way, is DarkStar One a fun game?

I didn't have a chance to find out since it kept crashing on my system. (Bought it at Target about a year before GOG were declared, and I have little reason to believe that video card compatibility has been fixed by GOG).

Also, it's a little hard to get a clear picture on whether it's merely an ok game or good, or REALLY HORRIBLE, because it seems to get slammed mostly by big fans of Privateer, who are mad at it either being not as revolutionary as Privateer, or not an improvement on Privateer, or too much like Privateer, or not enough like it.

If anything, it seems like it would be like the first Deus Ex sequel: not a terrible game, but just not good enough to be a Deus Ex game. DarkStar One wasn't good enough to bring back the best of the open-world space fighter sim genre, and it hasn't been forgiven for that.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 12, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

If anything, it seems like it would be like the first Deus Ex sequel: not a terrible game, but just not good enough to be a Deus Ex game. DarkStar One wasn't good enough to bring back the best of the open-world space fighter sim genre, and it hasn't been forgiven for that.

"Not terrible, but not good enough to bring back the best of the open-world space fight sim genre" is Freelancer (if you disregard the incredibly bad final mission, ending, and postgame).

Darkstar One, on the other hand, is just bad. It's Freelancer, but with worse writing, plot, voice acting, graphics, combat, world design, and everything else.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

ToxicFrog posted:

"Not terrible, but not good enough to bring back the best of the open-world space fight sim genre" is Freelancer (if you disregard the incredibly bad final mission, ending, and postgame).

What the hell are you talking about. Freelancer was awesome, the final mission was awesome and the postgame was great as well (and actually longer than the story arc).

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Other way around. Besides simply being older, U8 is 320x200x256 and Crusader: No Remorse is 640x480x256. I believe No Regret added 16-bit colour.

The helmet is a pretty great clue though heh.

You're right, gamefaqs says that crusader came out a year after U8. My first clue was actually from the way the physics engine works, the way that objects kind of jerk/float through the air when you shoot them with rocket.

The helmet? Never really drew that connection because I always see the Silencer as a red Boba Fett rip off. The helmet goes with that theme.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Luigi Thirty posted:

This AI corporation has never made a single product of any kind or a penny in revenue. Instead, it spent all its starting money buying 30% of my corporation and has sat letting me make all his money for him ever since.

I guess this means Capitalism Plus is super realistic :v:
I always start with a company 100% self-owned. The high dividends you can pay out does hilarious things to your stock prices.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Goon sirs, I am at a crossroads: Should I get Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition on Xbox Live Arcade (Around $10), from GoG (Same price), or get an original jewel case copy for $15-20?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Goon sirs, I am at a crossroads: Should I get Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition on Xbox Live Arcade (Around $10), from GoG (Same price), or get an original jewel case copy for $15-20?

I was just looking for a boxed copy on ebay and it's really hard to find. I'd recommending getting the XBLA and GOG combo and skipping the physical option.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mug posted:

I was just looking for a boxed copy on ebay and it's really hard to find. I'd recommending getting the XBLA and GOG combo and skipping the physical option.

I did a quick Ebay search and found a copy.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Duke-Nukem-3D-PC-Games-1994-/270668567853?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f051a952d#ht_972wt_905

Too bad shipping is an extra $10 to Canada.

VVV Is there a difference?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 12, 2011

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Anatharon posted:

I did a quick Ebay search and found a copy.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Duke-Nukem-3D-PC-Games-1994-/270668567853?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f051a952d#ht_972wt_905

Too bad shipping is an extra $10 to Canada.

Yeah, I'm looking for it boxed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know if boxed versions of Duke Nukem games have the original side-scrollers, but the GoG version does not have them. It was disappointing.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Anatharon posted:

GOG version is $6, not $10.

If you don't have a preference for what platform you play it on I'd get it on PC since it's both cheaper and moddable.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Anatharon posted:

If it helps, the XBLA port is pretty bad because it controls funny. Get it on pc definitely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

unleash the unicorn posted:

What the hell are you talking about. Freelancer was awesome, the final mission was awesome and the postgame was great as well (and actually longer than the story arc).

Freelancer forced you to grind to advance the plot, but even if you just wanted to fly around trading you're hosed because as soon as the plot popped you had to go take care of it.

The final mission was ok in terms of gameplay but the final plot associated with it was iron-bar-through-the-head retarded, to the extent that I was actually offended that they thought it was a worthwhile reward for playing through the game.

The postgame consisted of "here, have some money and the final tier of upgrades and fly around trading, if you like". Nothing new or interesting except some new hardware, and nothing to use that on except pirates (which were already trivialized by upgrades you get much earlier). Maybe it would be more fun if there was actually a reason to explore beyond "find derelict ships containing upgrades that are now useless", or revisit regions of space you were in earlier (there isn't).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is there a way for widescreen bliss on Alpha Centauri without the missing expansion? And by way I mean a proper mod with the same functionality.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
It's esoteric, vague recommendation time! I love city building/management games, but for "watch this cool thing grow and make it look nice" reasons rather than "I get satisfaction from optimal spreadsheet balancing whatever" reasons. As such, startopia is one of my favorite games, and SC4 is my favorite simcity because it looks the nicest :downs:. Are there any good things on GOG for an idiot child like me? Things like the Settlers/Anno games, where if you want you can just focus on making your creation look good without worrying too much about it being destroyed by finances or war. I don't care if it's about a city town, anything about large scale creation will do. Cocks in my ears and eyes?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saoshyant posted:

Is there a way for widescreen bliss on Alpha Centauri without the missing expansion? And by way I mean a proper mod with the same functionality.

Does this work? I remember with the retail version I just installed a patch and disabled DirectDraw.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/sid_meier_s_alpha_centauri_/widescreen_support_mod

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kissekatt posted:

I always start with a company 100% self-owned. The high dividends you can pay out does hilarious things to your stock prices.

What? How does a private company have a stock price?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

What? How does a private company have a stock price?

The employees own the shares.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

boner meter posted:

It's esoteric, vague recommendation time! I love city building/management games, but for "watch this cool thing grow and make it look nice" reasons rather than "I get satisfaction from optimal spreadsheet balancing whatever" reasons. As such, startopia is one of my favorite games, and SC4 is my favorite simcity because it looks the nicest :downs:. Are there any good things on GOG for an idiot child like me? Things like the Settlers/Anno games, where if you want you can just focus on making your creation look good without worrying too much about it being destroyed by finances or war. I don't care if it's about a city town, anything about large scale creation will do. Cocks in my ears and eyes?

Well, Settlers 2 is pretty much made specifically for people who like to smoke a joint, place a few buildings and watch little dudes carry stuff around and build your little empire. Very meditative.
Caesar 3 is more a more goal oriented city builder, but you can choose between war-like missions and city-building missions. It's pretty fun I think, but it's maybe too spreadsheet-y for you? It's not bad at all, but you can't just leave it for half an hour and come back.
Otherwise, they'll probably get Dungeon Keeper 2 soon, which has a my pet dungeon mode which lets you just build some stuff and teleport in some guys to fight if you get bored. They already have DK 1, but that's a series of missions with specific goals, I don't know if that's something you can tolerate in your city/dungeon builder?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Well, Settlers 2 is pretty much made specifically for people who like to smoke a joint, place a few buildings and watch little dudes carry stuff around and build your little empire. Very meditative.
Caesar 3 is more a more goal oriented city builder, but you can choose between war-like missions and city-building missions. It's pretty fun I think, but it's maybe too spreadsheet-y for you? It's not bad at all, but you can't just leave it for half an hour and come back.
Otherwise, they'll probably get Dungeon Keeper 2 soon, which has a my pet dungeon mode which lets you just build some stuff and teleport in some guys to fight if you get bored. They already have DK 1, but that's a series of missions with specific goals, I don't know if that's something you can tolerate in your city/dungeon builder?

Woah I didn't realise they had Settlers 2, thanks for pointing that out. And yeah, I like missions when they give you a bit of structure, like "Get 500 meeples to make cheese" or something leisurely like that, not "Holy poo poo time travel bikini bandits are attacking the facility and you're massively in debt, fix this poo poo within the minute!".

e. Caesar 3 looks a bit like the Pharoah games which I liked and had forgotten about. Massive, organic looking cities. Cool.

boner meter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 12, 2011

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Freelancer forced you to grind to advance the plot, but even if you just wanted to fly around trading you're hosed because as soon as the plot popped you had to go take care of it.

The final mission was ok in terms of gameplay but the final plot associated with it was iron-bar-through-the-head retarded, to the extent that I was actually offended that they thought it was a worthwhile reward for playing through the game.

The postgame consisted of "here, have some money and the final tier of upgrades and fly around trading, if you like". Nothing new or interesting except some new hardware, and nothing to use that on except pirates (which were already trivialized by upgrades you get much earlier). Maybe it would be more fun if there was actually a reason to explore beyond "find derelict ships containing upgrades that are now useless", or revisit regions of space you were in earlier (there isn't).

How was the plot retarded? It was completely over-the-top scifi nonsense, such things can't be 'retarded'. And you got to fly your ship into a loving Dyson sphere, FFS

The postgame was all about exploration. Find the pirate planets, find the missing colony ship, find all the freepost stations, befriend the pirates to get the best ships and weapons in the game (or simply try to get the best weapons for the low-tier ship you have, which can take a while as well as there are some very obscure ones), find the planet of the apes, find the planet of the robots, find the outcast planets, get the alien guns, and so on. But I guess if you need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do, then yeah, Freelancer's postgame is not for you.

I beat the game four times I think, and it sits right next to Privateer, MoO2 and Deus Ex in my best games ever list.

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 12, 2011

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

boner meter posted:

Woah I didn't realise they had Settlers 2, thanks for pointing that out. And yeah, I like missions when they give you a bit of structure, like "Get 500 meeples to make cheese" or something leisurely like that, not "Holy poo poo time travel bikini bandits are attacking the facility and you're massively in debt, fix this poo poo within the minute!".

e. Caesar 3 looks a bit like the Pharoah games which I liked and had forgotten about. Massive, organic looking cities. Cool.

I think Caesar and Pharaoh are pretty much exactly the same game actually. Same engine + developer. I think Pharaoh came a year or two later, so it might have a few improvements over Caesar, i dunno.
DK is worth checking out, even though the whole point is to defend against dudes attacking you. (and also to attack others sometimes, of course). It's much more about building cool bases/dungeons than to optimize production and that kind of awful poo poo. I like it at least, and I also hate the spread-sheet stuff

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If Impressions games are your thing, check out Zeus and Emperor as well. They're the Greek and Chinese refinements of the old SimAncient formula.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

unleash the unicorn posted:

How was the plot retarded? It was completely over-the-top scifi nonsense, such things can't be 'retarded'. And you got to fly your ship into a loving Dyson sphere, FFS

So you destroy the enemy jumpgate and it magically sucks every alien everywhere in humanspace back through it as it collapses, and everyone just forgets about the wars and all the people who were being controlled/replaced are fine again and it's like nothing ever happened. That easily crosses the line separating "entertaining B-movie" from "holy poo poo did no-one involved in this ever say it out loud and then realize how amazingly stupid it is".

quote:

The postgame was all about exploration. Find the pirate planets, find the missing colony ship, find all the freepost stations, befriend the pirates to get the best ships and weapons in the game (or simply try to get the best weapons for the low-tier ship you have, which can take a while as well as there are some very obscure ones), find the planet of the apes, find the planet of the robots, find the outcast planets, get the alien guns, and so on. But I guess if you need someone to hold your hand and tell you what to do, then yeah, Freelancer's postgame is not for you.

I'm pretty sure I did at least some of that before finishing the main storyline.

As for the rest, if exploration is the entire point of the postgame, maybe they should have put more effort into creating an interesting, immersive, and well-written universe that I want to explore rather than something that will make me go "wow, that was like having my balls run over by a truck hauling eighty tonnes of refined stupid. I think I'll go back to playing (Morrowind|Ultima Underworld|Riven|etc) now."

All of which, incidentally, have much less hand-holding than Freelancer.

quote:

I beat the game four times I think, and it sits right next to Privateer, MoO2 and Deus Ex in my best games ever list.

For what it's worth I didn't really like Privateer either - way too grindy, and way too capricious with the random number generator.

That said, I can see why Privateer is a classic, whereas I started out enjoying Freelancer and by the time I finished it I was just really pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I think I'm remembering right that Freelancer was one of those games that had higher design aims which got curtailed in the mix - and as it was, although it got critically praised on release, every single review I read mentioned that it could have been a better game. Thus, close, but not close enough.