Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like TiVo might announce extenders and a quad-tuner box this week: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2011-06/tivo-premiere-q-preview-announced-sort-of/

The former is all well and good, but I've never felt the quad-tuner was really worth it. Also enable the second processor and fix the HDUI etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General E
Aug 25, 2003

I hope I can buy the extender as a normal consumer, and it's not just for cable companies. I have 2 Tivos now, and the one in my bedroom pretty much just records off an antenna, does Netflix, and transfers everything else from my living room via multi-room viewing. A streamer is exactly what I need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

General E posted:

I hope I can buy the extender as a normal consumer, and it's not just for cable companies. I have 2 Tivos now, and the one in my bedroom pretty much just records off an antenna, does Netflix, and transfers everything else from my living room via multi-room viewing. A streamer is exactly what I need.

Well, bad news.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/tivo-premiere-q-and-preview-boxes-are-official-along-with-an-upd/

They had their announcement it and it purely MSO focused with no word on retail availability. It still may happen of course, but I'm doubting it.

I think the current models represent the last of retail hardware. The sales at current price levels are too poor to justify adding even more expensive models (Q with quad tuners) and also adding retail support for completely new hardware like the tuner only box.

TiVo isn't a consumer oriented company anymore.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I want to be sad for them but honestly a lot of this is their own doing. Instead of complaining about people buying lifetime and never upgrading they could have given them new systems to upgrade to. I don't know if they had a lot of false starts before doing a real HD box or the management didn't want to invest in product development when all their lawsuits were pending but they spent like 5 years doing almost nothing. The Comcast deal was a total bust. The premiere's UI is unfinished and intolerably slow for 2010 hardware. Hell, can you even re-sort the suggested programs list on the Premiere?

I think they could never figure out if their "customers" were the people buying Tivos or the cable companies and they ended up pleasing neither. I just hope Comcast's new box they're testing now is as good as rumored because I don't see myself buying another Tivo once my HD dies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Where they really went wrong was multi-room. Had they aggressively went after true multi-room support with dumb boxes for other displays, they could have really pushed a good value proposition.

If I would have been able to buy one Tivo, pay for a single cable card from my provider, and plunk cheap (say $129), small, tunerless, and subscription-less streamer boxes on the rest of my TVs in the house; I would have done it ages ago.

At an HD box rental rate of $10 /month, you pretty much pay off every streamer box in a year which helps you recoup the cost of the TiVo much faster.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Where they really went wrong was multi-room. Had they aggressively went after true multi-room support with dumb boxes for other displays, they could have really pushed a good value proposition.
I agree but that would have threatened their relationship with cable companies who want their customers paying $10/box * 4 rooms in every house. So they went with a middle of the road solution that wasn't good enough for real consumer adoption, thereby pleasing nobody.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just picked up a Premiere - once I remove my Tivo HD from my service, would anybody be interested in buying it outright before I got to Craigslist or eBay?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Weirdly, and so far only with recent recordings of Chelsea Lately, when we hit 'play' it starts right at the end of the recording, it plays for a moment then BONG and brings up the 'delete or return to menu' menu. We can go back to menu and play it again and it's fine. Anyone heard about anything like this before?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/24/tivos-retail-plans-for-quad-tuner-premiere-dvr-revealed-in-fcc/

Just pointing out that the Q might see retail, I guess?

Honestly unless they fix the software I don't really care at this point.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

commenter on that thread posted:

The new Google TV will have DVR capability and about 1000 more features that Tivo. Bye bye Tivo. Buy your lifetime subs now, suckers!!!!
The console wars may change, but the console warriors stay just the same.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any remaining interest in Tivo I had evaporated yesterday when Verizon pushed the new HD guide and storage expansion capability to my area. I really can't see what Tivo can give me now that I don't already have.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

Any remaining interest in Tivo I had evaporated yesterday when Verizon pushed the new HD guide and storage expansion capability to my area. I really can't see what Tivo can give me now that I don't already have.

Late 90s nostalgia?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If only Comcast would make a competant guide/UI etc. The "new" one they pushed out is completely awful like the old one, I guess they can get away with spending 1% of their earnings on this poo poo because people don't know better?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kri kri posted:

If only Comcast would make a competant guide/UI etc. The "new" one they pushed out is completely awful like the old one, I guess they can get away with spending 1% of their earnings on this poo poo because people don't know better?
They have a much better one in the works but it probably won't have widespread availability until 2013 or something.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

qirex posted:

They have a much better one in the works but it probably won't have widespread availability until 2013 or something.

Christ, Comcast in the Seattle are anyway still has piles and piles of non HDMI dvrs, and will bring them out usually by default unless you ask otherwise.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Rumor has it that Tivo is Field (Beta) Testing their Android App! Something to look forward to.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

traveling midget posted:

Rumor has it that Tivo is Field (Beta) Testing their Android App! Something to look forward to.

As much as I want an Android app I wish they'd just put all their resources into finishing the Premiere already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

kitten smoothie posted:

As much as I want an Android app I wish they'd just put all their resources into finishing the Premiere already.

Dudes building the Android app probably don't know how to do that.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

traveling midget posted:

Thank god. It had better be Honeycomb (tablet) compatible!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Aatrek posted:

Thank god. It had better be Honeycomb (tablet) compatible!

The version being tested isn't :/

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
What the gently caress? They have a great iPad interface!

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Aatrek posted:

Welcome to the world of Android :downs:

As much as I like my Android phone, I'm about ready to buy an ipad since the Android tablets just aren't there yet, in terms of hardware and apps. I also can't stand apple, mostly because of the fanboys, so that says a lot.

I'd just like Tivo to do system updates to Premier like they used to do on the older machines. The series 2 was always getting stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I read an article that said the newest version of the iOS app would support my Tivo HD but I can't get the thing to work, has anyone done it successfully yet? It can't find my Tivo on the network.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Today is a sad day. I've had my various Tivos for about 6 years now and have loved them, but today I had to switch to a Comcast box. Since I moved from the suburbs to Detroit proper about a month ago, I haven't been able to get the Tivo to work. For some reason, even though Cocmast has all the correct information down, they simply cannot get the cablecards (multiple M cards have been tried) to pair correctly. I've had 5 techs come out over 6 visits, have done the 3-way calls between Tivo and Comcast and for whatever reason, the signal strength to the card stays at 80 maximum (for a proper signal, it should be between 85-100). The lines have been tested and are putting across a fine signal, neither Comcast nor Tivo can figure out why it's not working. And being in medical school, I only get 1 day off per week, so I can only try a new service call once per week. Sadly, this ordeal has worn me down to the point where it's not worth the time or effort anymore to try and get my beloved Tivo in working order.

Farewell my sweet Premiere. I shall unbox you when I move again.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

qirex posted:

I read an article that said the newest version of the iOS app would support my Tivo HD but I can't get the thing to work, has anyone done it successfully yet? It can't find my Tivo on the network.

Works for mine. iPhone 4 with IOS 4.3.4 and a Tivo HD. Silly question, but you did enable "Network Remote Control"? http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/391 details how to do it.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Tivo is gauging interest in bringing Spotify to their boxes.

http://mobile.twitter.com/tivo/status/95925262050525184 posted:

Spotify's getting a lot of buzz as it makes its way into U.S. homes. Retweet this if u would like Spotify on your @TiVo DVR.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

complex posted:

Tivo is gauging interest in bringing Spotify to their boxes.

It sucks to see an official source call it 'Tivo DVR'. I remember when Tivo had the PR benefit of being like Xerox or Kleenex, people called every DVR a Tivo. They really lost it, huh.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

traveling midget posted:

It sucks to see an official source call it 'Tivo DVR'. I remember when Tivo had the PR benefit of being like Xerox or Kleenex, people called every DVR a Tivo. They really lost it, huh.

To be fair though, most companies do not want consumers calling other products by their name. You will always see Kleenex refer to their tissues as Kleenex® Brand Tissues. Xerox will always refer to their copiers as Xerox Copy Machines. Since it is TiVo's official Twitter account, that's most likely why.

Although you are correct, everyone used to say "oh I'm going to tivo that" and now it's just "oh, i'm going to record that".

My TiVo is on the verge of being dropped because my cable rates keep going up and I can save a ton of money switching to DirectTV. I really wish/hope the TiVo-DirectTV boxes would be available soon.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Shin-chan posted:

To be fair though, most companies do not want consumers calling other products by their name. You will always see Kleenex refer to their tissues as Kleenex® Brand Tissues. Xerox will always refer to their copiers as Xerox Copy Machines. Since it is TiVo's official Twitter account, that's most likely why.

And Lego® Bricks. It's to prevent dilution of the term leading to the name being declared a generic trademark.

The Simpsons posted:

Bart: Otto-Man? You're living in a dumpster?
Otto: Ho, man, I wish. Dumpster-brand trash bins are top-of-the-line. This is just a Trash-Co waste disposal unit.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Golbez posted:

And Lego® Bricks. It's to prevent dilution of the term leading to the name being declared a generic trademark.

That's all they have left since you can now make the same bricks.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

It may or may not work great on a Nook Color tablet, I mean I don't know but a friend told me it does and that doesn't break NDA does it? This guy, Tyrone, says that using the remote app is much faster than using the tivo UI. I find this ironic that the device that is designed to these tasks is so slow and cumbersome compared to a wifi device making a crapton of HTTP calls.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CapnBry posted:

It may or may not work great on a Nook Color tablet, I mean I don't know but a friend told me it does and that doesn't break NDA does it? This guy, Tyrone, says that using the remote app is much faster than using the tivo UI. I find this ironic that the device that is designed to these tasks is so slow and cumbersome compared to a wifi device making a crapton of HTTP calls.

Your friend is exactly right. My friend Rick can use the remote app to navigate channels or set season passes literally multiple times faster than the UI.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Is it true that you have to buy a Tivo proprietary wireless adapter for your Tivo Premiere like it says on their website? I am loath to shell out 60+ bucks for a loving wireless G adapter, especially when I can get a netgear for 30. Is there any way around this?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Oracle posted:

Is it true that you have to buy a Tivo proprietary wireless adapter for your Tivo Premiere like it says on their website? I am loath to shell out 60+ bucks for a loving wireless G adapter, especially when I can get a netgear for 30. Is there any way around this?

That's what it sounds like. If you had a spare router, you might be able to make a wireless bridge out of it and do it that way instead. That's what I do for a few of my devices already.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Press Thumbs Up for more Shark Night 3D

:smithicide:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

chemosh6969 posted:

That's what it sounds like. If you had a spare router, you might be able to make a wireless bridge out of it and do it that way instead. That's what I do for a few of my devices already.

That's what I did, until I got tired of the wireless lag (my 360 and PS3 were also hooked in the same way) and just sent a 30 foot cable around the edge of the room. It worked well, just not quite fast enough for what I wanted.

The Premiere itself does not contain any wireless antenna, so you have to wire it into something.

As for the Shark Night 3D thing - why don't more ads do that? I'd love for every ad for a TV show to have that kind of capability, why is it wasted on lovely movies?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Golbez posted:

As for the Shark Night 3D thing - why don't more ads do that? I'd love for every ad for a TV show to have that kind of capability, why is it wasted on lovely movies?

Occasionally there are TV shows, I know I've set some pilots to record that way. I think the problem is that TiVo probably charges for that functionality and advertisers don't want to pay it just for the small amount of people with TiVo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I finally got a Premiere because our bedroom HD was just crashing too drat often. I have to say, it's not as terrible as I feared, but on the other hand it is pretty underwhelming except for the higher capacity and speedier SD menus.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

The only benefit I found over my series 3 is that it can run the Hulu Plus app. The menu showing what I'm watching, until I hit an SD menu is also nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Once TiVo debuts the Android app things will be better. It seemingly runs instantly, minus hanging here and there, and you can navigate menus literally 10x faster than on the device itself.

• Locked thread