Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I would just make the diorama 8 studs wide and keep the large white frames, they look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

beato posted:

I would just make the diorama 8 studs wide and keep the large white frames, they look good.

Agreed. From what I've seen of the sport and the stadiums, it doesn't look far off from the real thing and aren't the windows in general disgusting anyway? That should give you points for realism!

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is one of those minifigs wearing a Cleveland Cavaliers cap?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Baggy_Brad posted:

Is one of those minifigs wearing a Cleveland Cavaliers cap?

The Clutchers. Farm team for the Grippers, I'd assume.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Revol posted:

Well well, look who's the clever little boy/girl! But having either of those simply doesn't look good. For one, you're going to have open space under the glass, and that is unacceptable. Maybe if there's a way to keep those pieces hidden under something.. but at that point, the boards start getting awfully thick.

It fits inside, but it doesn't lock in at all. The best I could do there is have the glass leaning up against the minifig fans.

Edit: Okay, I'm a genius.

I put two very small pieces of scotch tape on the bottom of the glass to give it the thickness needed to lock into the grill.

I am gonna have to get the medium blue tiles for the ice, though. This just doesn't pop enough for me, and I think it's because the ice and the boards are the same color. Now I have to choose a color. Medium Blue is more cheap and plentiful, but it is still a strong color. Light Aqua is perfect, but I can only get 2x1 tiles (and no jumper tile to hold the puck in place), and they cost 44 cents each.

the boards are yellow at ice-level :eng101:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Virar posted:

If they fit into the lever base, won't they also fit into 1x2 tile with grill?

Apparently it depends on the glass. For an example, see the windshield for this locomotive I built a few months ago:

I tested the fit of the large glass before posting the suggestion and was surprised that it didn't fit snugly into a grill tile. The smaller glass does. At any rate, the tape solution works well as a substitute.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shuppiluliumas posted:

holy poo poo

It always amazes me when people manage to make something that hides the fact that its made out of lego so well. Like that car from the last page, and this... I got nothing but respect for skills like that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

the boards are yellow at ice-level :eng101:

Oh, good catch! You're right.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Shuttle Adventure progress shots ahoy.

If you do not have a LEGO brick separator tool, get one. Having one let me organize by stacking all the similar, stackable parts and popping them off the stacks with the tool as needed.

The fuselage sides at the front and back involve amazing SNOT (Studs Not On Top) techniques. So do the rocket engines, to get them sitting at the correct angles. The fuselage even sits at an angle on the landing gear like the real deal.

My rudder is missing a black brick, I can't find it. If it does not turn up I'll get it replaced.

This is a little satellite moc I made before building the set's satellite.

It is very tempting to order white tiles to cover the wings.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Schindler's Fist posted:

It is very tempting to order white tiles to cover the wings.

Apparently shuttle tiles are very expensive and break easily.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Shopping day. Spent most of my first paycheck from my new job on Lego. I found an impulse set from 2009 at a Meijer near Ft Wayne, the chef with grill cart. Then got an S4 I didn't have, the skater (still need the viking, Frankenstein, mad scientist and some more Musketeers). Also got a PoP set on sale at a Target and they have a B1G1HO (biggyho?) sale on a few themes, including Harry Potter and PotC, so I got the two $20 pirate sets. $15 for each is closer to what I was willing to pay.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Just made an impulse buy yesterday that I absolutely do not regret.

Sorry for the bad pictures, but my phone isn't really cooperating with me at the moment.

I decided to mix things up since I had a bunch of minifigures lying around my desk. Time for a pirate ship battle featuring characters spanning multiple centuries!

Jack Sparrow and Blackbeard battle it out at the ship's wheel while a viking and wolfman confront each other on the deck.

Frankenstein chases a cook.

Somehow, at the front of the ship, a cyborg confronts an alien.

Zombies chase "Angelica" (I haven't seen the movies) up the mast while a Roman soldier battles another zombie.

Owning a LEGO pirate ship has been a dream of mine since I was a kid (always wanted Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner as a child), and I'm really happy with my purchase.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Revol posted:

This looks great - what would the helmet look like with a clear visor?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
There's also the hockey player minifig to use for that vignette. Series 3 or 4, can't remember quite which off the top of my head.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Baggins posted:

There's also the hockey player minifig to use for that vignette. Series 3 or 4, can't remember quite which off the top of my head.

he mentioned the figure specifically already :confused:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yeah, it's the only place you can get the hockey stick...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I didn't want to play the random game on the minifig, or spend the higher prices on it through Bricklink. So I simply bought the stick and skates.

mik posted:

This looks great - what would the helmet look like with a clear visor?

It looks fine I guess, but it's unnecessary. I mean, only like one out of 100 hockey players use a glass visor. (And even less use the wire visor that the minifig comes with.)

beato posted:

Taeke posted:

Agreed. From what I've seen of the sport and the stadiums, it doesn't look far off from the real thing and aren't the windows in general disgusting anyway? That should give you points for realism!

The problem with the boarders is their depth; it goes all the way back. So if you view the vignette at an angle (instead of straight on like I took the photo of it earlier), you're seeing a lot less of the fans. Also, the separation between the glass at most rinks is either black or gray. I only have (about over 20) white ones. Finally, they usually just have the border on the sides. You'll rarely see a border on the top of the glass, because that'll make it just that much more tedious to replace when the glass breaks. And the Lego window holder piece adds the same color to the bottom of the window, and you'll never see a black or gray border on top of hockey boards. (Which reminds me, I never checked on that, either. Right now I'm using white grills to hold the glass, maybe I want something different.

In the end, the glass frame just makes me think I'm looking at an actual building window pane instead of hockey board glass.

Edit: I really love the look of the window panes stick in the grill tiles, but because of the unconventional width of the panes, they're hanging off the edges now. Does that bother anyone here? I don't see any other solution though; the two panes are about 7 stud. That's one stud that doesn't have the grill tile.

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 13, 2011

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Revol posted:

Edit: I really love the look of the window panes stick in the grill tiles, but because of the unconventional width of the panes, they're hanging off the edges now. Does that bother anyone here? I don't see any other solution though; the two panes are about 7 stud. That's one stud that doesn't have the grill tile.

What if you went for a 7 stud width, and used three 1x2 tiles with stud (like the one holding the puck) with a 1x1 tile at the end, then put the three 1x2 tiles with grill on top, leaving them offset so there is a 1/2 stud gap at either end, and the glass on top.

Still not ideal, but may look a bit better.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I maintain that you should use that 6x5x1 panel I linked to.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Not specifically Lego but interesting nonetheless, this was posted in the WoW-sub forum.

Captain Corduroy posted:

Mega Bloks will have WoW and Starcraft sets coming out in 2012.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43376841

As someone who enjoys both Legos and Blizzard's games this is both good and bad news. It would have been great if they had gone with Lego, but depending on how they end up I might have to get some anyway.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Man this is a really conflicting situation.

But then, who the gently caress am I kidding I've already bought WoW action figures I'll buy WoW Mega Bloks.

They just have to stay in a different room than the Lego.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If nothing else this should yield some really sweet weapons for my Lego dudes to hold.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I have a craigslist app on my phone that keeps me updated for people selling off their Lego, and this one came up:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/wan/2432516959.html

Buyer posted:

Do you have legos that are taking up space in your house? Or do you have any legos that your children don't play with anymore? I'm very interested in taking them off your hands, I will pay for your legos. Make me a offer and perhaps we can negotiate a deal we are both happy with.

Just send me a picture and description of what you have available.

I'm looking for complete or near complete sets, lego people, minifig (minifigs), lego star wars, batman, spiderman, indiana jones, ninja, pirates, castle, ship, planes, city, trains, bulk lots of complete or near complete sets, etc.

Mainly looking for "themed" sets and lego people.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!
Pretty normal to see that sort of thing occasionally.

A little while later, there was a 'response' posted:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/wan/2432618254.html

Sarcastic Buyer posted:

Hey if you have any Lego brand Legos your kids still play with but you need some cash, I will buy them and resell them on ebay for a huge profit. Many people dont realize that just one little lego person could be worth up to 100.00 (and that is what I am banking on). No the legos dont have to be old to be worth that and really Star wars ones are worth the most (so I am hoping you have those:) I will gladly pay you what you think is a great price when really a clean pound (which is not that much) of legos is worth 8-10 dollars. Anyway PLEASE PLEASE dont look at what you have on Ebay because that will spoil my profit. Thanks and good day.

I thought it was pretty funny. :)

It's also interesting to see people keep relisting the same things over and over without moving on the price. I've seen this listed repeatedly over the last few months, always at $75. A while back there was someone trying to sell one of the earlier Millennium Falcon sets for $600 or an iBook or something, but he kept dropping the price when it was obvious no one was going to take that bait. Sometimes I just wanna send them an email telling them how their prices don't reflect the market.
Most sellers are in tune with the "$10 per pound average", but there were a couple recent ones that had nice pricing--20lbs for $70, 25lbs for $75. Couldn't swing either of them this month, though.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Pyroclastic posted:

I've seen this listed repeatedly over the last few months, always at $75.

Haha, I had that as a kid. That's sort of emblematic of the small cheap sets I was allowed to get. $75 might be a little much, but Bricklink is listing it for $44. I should go back in time and steal all my sets back from my younger self before I got the chance to ruin them by playing.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Catsworth posted:

Not specifically Lego but interesting nonetheless, this was posted in the WoW-sub forum.

As someone who enjoys both Legos and Blizzard's games this is both good and bad news. It would have been great if they had gone with Lego, but depending on how they end up I might have to get some anyway.

No....Noooooo!
Oh well. I'd much rather they have gone with Legos. I'll pick up the minifigures only unless a set looks really good. I like elbows and knees!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Time Cowboy posted:

Haha, I had that as a kid. That's sort of emblematic of the small cheap sets I was allowed to get. $75 might be a little much, but Bricklink is listing it for $44. I should go back in time and steal all my sets back from my younger self before I got the chance to ruin them by playing.

Almost positive I had that too. They really need to put more stuff like that out again.

Here's sort of a preview of my dungeon crawl rules by the way, listing 13 character classes and their attributes, abilities and so on. I typed a bunch of stuff up for a couple hours ago and am only maybe 1/3 done.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

High-rez closeups of S5, both assembled and disassembled, from some Latin American Lego con I guess.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/0937/sets/72157624270803421/with/5818721440/

e: Holy poo poo Lizardman has a tail

e2: and the boxer has a black eye. Serious question, where could I buy these by the case? I feel like reseller-collector-hoarder-assholes are going to leave nothing but jazzercise girls and snowboarders within weeks.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 14, 2011

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
A little while ago, people were talking about Nano Blocks a bit. I purchased one around Christmas time, and it really is the best non-Lego blocks out there. The detail is pretty great, though it can be a bit wobbly a bit since it is such small connections.

Space Shuttle one is my favorite. The whole shuttle and main boosters are really strong and highly swooshable, but the side boosters are very weak since they use a ton of 1x1 round pegs. They all can easily split apart, letting me make my own pretend shuttle launch and then split the side boosters off, then the main booster.

I also go the piano one which is awesome with detail as well.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I need some Goon help!

Inspired by this thread, I'm attempting a similar build of the UCS Falcon.

So far, I've got about 2/3rds of the parts needed, but that still leaves quite a number to find!

If you have any spare parts that you think may help, can you PM me. :)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Not sure how the supply is in the us, but here in germany I could still pick up discounted season 2 and 3 figures a week ago, so global supply isn't that scarce.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
All this talk of modulex/nanoblocks/megabox whatever imitation stuff has made me wonder: are there any really impressive DUPLO creations? I had a quick look around flickr and it was just LEGO tagged as DUPLO.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's DUPLO man. There aren't any.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

It's DUPLO man. There aren't any.

You're forgetting the Meatpunk meme.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Saint Sputnik posted:

You're forgetting the Meatpunk meme.

This is a work of art. All of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Requesting QUATRO art

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So Brickshelf has been down for a few days. Does anyone know if it's permanent finally, or just an extended hiccup?

It seems to be back up now. Yay!

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 15, 2011

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

InfinEight posted:

So Brickshelf has been down for a few days. Does anyone know if it's permanent finally, or just an extended hiccup?

It seems to be back up now. Yay!

The Admin is away from home, someone in the local LUG sent him a note and he got it back up.

Oh and TRU is having a BOGO50% deal till the 18th. No restrictions on sets apparently.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5836438902/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5836438902/

Wow, I can't tell what's really motorized and what's VFX.

I'm stuck on creating a workable combat system for my dungeon-diving rules. My original idea was, you roll a six-sided die for you and the monster, and whoever has the higher roll adds the difference between the rolls to their weapon damage, then subtract that from the other guy's armor value. The result is taken out of the loser's HP. So like, imagine you have 2 weapon damage, 2 armor, and 6 HP; monster has 3 weapon damage, 1 armor and 5 HP. You roll 5, monster rolls 3, you do 3 damage. Seems fair, means most combats would last enough rounds to be interesting but not so many they'd become boring.

But it leaves room for a lot of outliers and the possibility of never hitting the monster or being one-shot killed. No fun. I could make the stats more complicated by injecting agility and dodging, or make static levels for monsters you'd have to roll to overcome (and maybe dynamic levels for player characters), but I'd rather keep it simple. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I live with my brother (also a goon) and I think you guys and this thread are the reason he decided to get back into Legos (he hauled four of our largest boxes of them up here last week). I myself haven't built in some time, but he invited me to join him in building stuff and I just might be in the right mood :420:. Up until we were about 15/16 we always had a big part of our basement devoted to a big town, full of to-the-instructions sets and our own mutations. I also bought their most recent space shuttle model about a month ago and I'm saving it for a rainy day.