Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Midjack posted:

I'm remembering all the Stealth Fighter and Stealth Bomber models we had in the mid-80s and I'm sure we'll see the same stuff here. Dragon had the first good models of both if I remember right, that 1/144 two-pack.

Yeah, and the "Project Aurora" ones from more recent times.

To be honest, I think the F-117 looks even weirder than the fake ones. It's a very strange-looking plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
On the look out for an airbrush, and just found this:
http://www.airbrushcompressorshop.co.uk/products/compressor-kits/airbrush-compressor-kit-i-all-purpose/?added=1

Is that a good deal or a decent airbrush? Tempted by the price.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pogue_Mahone posted:

On the look out for an airbrush, and just found this:
http://www.airbrushcompressorshop.co.uk/products/compressor-kits/airbrush-compressor-kit-i-all-purpose/?added=1

Is that a good deal or a decent airbrush? Tempted by the price.

It looks like a good price, but I have no idea about the brand. For the kitmaking, having two airbrushes would be handy, but a lot hinges on the quality of the gravity feed airbrush. I only got my airbrush last year (for about what that whole setup costs, lol) but for me knowing I had the quality and the ability to do fine details was worth it.

Also: made an airliner for my dad. He's a retired air traffic control man, and at some point we had a conversation where I learned he really likes the BaE-146. Glad I've gotten it done; I've started working on those Rodan armor bits. The Quality seems good, though brittleness is an issue.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Holy Hell, that looks fantastic. Is the cockpit interior detailed at all?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

NecronSchmecron posted:

Holy Hell, that looks fantastic. Is the cockpit interior detailed at all?

Thanks! No, there's no interior at all; in fact, there's a decal option for blacking out the windows.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I've been thinking about getting into this hobby because I already act like a bitter old man and need a similar hobby and I think it might be a better way to pass off-time. I do have a couple of questions though.

What is the best skill to start off on certain brands. I've seen some level 1 stuff that is just snap together and isn't painted which seems as it is meant for young people but I know not to get ahead of myself and buy something I can't put together.

Also, is there an shortage of Tamiya paints going on? I went to the local Hobbytown and saw a sign saying that they're having supply problems. Then again, I'm getting ahead of myself thinking about painting before I've even assembled something.

Thanks in advance, I'm going to re-read the thread for anything else.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The snap together stuff is really boring. You'll get like 10 or 15 pieces for the entire model, and half of them don't even hold together very well, so you have to glue them anyway. I don't think any kit that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money will be too difficult to put together.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

The snap together stuff is really boring. You'll get like 10 or 15 pieces for the entire model, and half of them don't even hold together very well, so you have to glue them anyway. I don't think any kit that doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money will be too difficult to put together.

Grab some $20-30 kit that looks interesting and dig in. After your 6th build it'll look like rear end and you'll want to throw it away or redo it but that's part of getting better!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I don't think it would stop at the 6th kit. I look at the stuff I made when I was starting out that I thought turned out pretty well, and it looks terrible compared to what I can do now. At least you can always strip off the paint and redo it to acceptable standards.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think it would stop at the 6th kit. I look at the stuff I made when I was starting out that I thought turned out pretty well, and it looks terrible compared to what I can do now. At least you can always strip off the paint and redo it to acceptable standards.

You're right, it pretty much never stops, I arbitrarily selected that to illustrate the point.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LP97S posted:

I've been thinking about getting into this hobby because I already act like a bitter old man and need a similar hobby and I think it might be a better way to pass off-time.

Definitely tackle kits at your skill level. Rigging a clipper ship is for crazies, but I think it might be fun after 20+ years of model kits.

If you're even tangentially interested in robots, don't feel bad buying a gundam. The latest gundams are technical marvels even without paint. Start with a High Grade (HG) and if that's do-able jump immediately to Master Grade (MG). more parts, more details, more fun. They put all sorts of bits in that ONLY the builder will see. It's a lot of fun, and really really different from the poorly fitting boat & plane kits I remember building so many of as a kid.

Once you have enjoyed that, you can jump back into kits that you need to work on to make look good. After a couple of easy successes, masking that bubble canopy or filling huge gaps isn't as tedious.

I've been building a vinyl kit lately and it's a total PITA to figure out without any instructions. Quite a challenge, but sofar it's been fun. I only have a few parts I haven't quite figured out yet. It's apparently a recast, but I got it for free so I don't feel bad. (don't buy recasts! but if your friend gives you one...)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vaporware posted:

If you're even tangentially interested in robots, don't feel bad buying a gundam. The latest gundams are technical marvels even without paint. Start with a High Grade (HG) and if that's do-able jump immediately to Master Grade (MG). more parts, more details, more fun. They put all sorts of bits in that ONLY the builder will see. It's a lot of fun, and really really different from the poorly fitting boat & plane kits I remember building so many of as a kid.

If giant robots are your thing come on over here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271194

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LP97S posted:

I've been thinking about getting into this hobby because I already act like a bitter old man and need a similar hobby and I think it might be a better way to pass off-time. I do have a couple of questions though.

What is the best skill to start off on certain brands. I've seen some level 1 stuff that is just snap together and isn't painted which seems as it is meant for young people but I know not to get ahead of myself and buy something I can't put together.

The real trick to avoiding overly difficult kits is, weirdly, to stay away from the most common manufacturers, Airfix and Revell America*. You'll go crazy trying to make some of their older kits look decent, as they often have all sorts of assembly issues. Other then that, I think you're sensible enough to know what's a big jump in difficulty from a normal kit.

As for everything else, I think the main thing is to just find a kit you think is cool, and just go for it. Since you are starting out, I'd suggest some kit that doesn't require any airbrushing; something that you can just paint with a brush.

*Confusingly, there is also a Revell Germany, (in the boxes with the blue border) that makes a great variety of excellent kits. So avoid one, and go for the other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're the same company, Revell GMBH bought out Revell USA at some point due to financial shenanigans or some insanity. Now everything is made by the same people, but most of the old kits are just re-releases of Matchbox stuff.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
So I bought an airbrush and compressor. £100 off ebay. No brand so it obviously isnt going to be amazing, but hoping it should be good enough for beginner standards of airbrushing tanks etc.

Went a bit crazy over the weekend and have about 6 more kits on the way in the post. Got a couple of models waiting for paint which I will have to get started on. Will post photos when done, although I am not expecting much from them since it has been 10 years since i last painted a model!

Pogue_Mahone fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 13, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^ What did'ja get?

I need to lube my airbrush, but airbrush oil isn't in my local area. What's a good substitute?

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Models I got at he weekend:
Challenger Tank
Airfix LWB Landrover
US military infantry
1/48 scale TIger
A german half track infantry carrier that I can't remember the name of.

Models that are in the post:
British Churchill VII
British Cromwell Mk.IV
British SAS Land Rover 'Pink Panther'
'Gulaschkanone' German horse drawn field kitchen
BMW R75 Motorcycle with side car
German army infantry

So yeah, may have gone a bit crazy with the spending and now have no money for food! hehe. All of the models are Tamiya except the Airfix Landrover. Have to say I am impressed with the quality of them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That's quite a number of models. I don't think I ever had a backlog that long, aside from the one time my grandfather sent me one of everything that Zvezda makes. I think I would run out of food money occasionally too if I didn't run out of room to display my models. I should probably take some of the figures off the general shelf and put them into dioramas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well I thought it would never get released but apparently it's coming soon:

The 1/6 (barbie doll scale) Panzer II tank. Though it come pre assembled its too awesome to not share.

Store link:
http://www.hlj.com/product/CYVCH75025

Prototype photo:
http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22841

Plus bonus review of their 1/6 scale Kubelwagen, including photo of it being driven by barbie
http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews/Kits/Armor/dragon_6_kubelwagen/dragon_6_kubelwagen.htm

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Vaporware posted:

I've been building a vinyl kit lately and it's a total PITA to figure out without any instructions. Quite a challenge, but sofar it's been fun. I only have a few parts I haven't quite figured out yet. It's apparently a recast, but I got it for free so I don't feel bad. (don't buy recasts! but if your friend gives you one...)

Is that a Marshydog? :3:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well I took the plunge and bought my first model. It's an Academy A6M5c Zero, 1/72 scale. I bought that and some Tamiya Thin Cement at Hobbytown USA along with a multi-sided emery board for sanding. I didn't bother with getting any paint yet, trying to see if I even enjoy the hobby.

Here's a stock picture of the model box I found on ebay after learning I could have saved a few bucks.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Going along quite nicely on the models I posted above a while back. Only one fully painted at the minute, and to be honest its rather laughable when compared to a lot of the pics posted in this thread. May get round to posting some soon so you guys can all have a laugh. Been trying to weather the SDKfz 251/1 that I have been completing and it just isnt looking that great. I have some vajello rust paint, which is just poo poo when using it in a wash, as it just looks like loving glitter! Thinking of using a dark brown on the next model for any rust patches.

Anyone got any tips for easy weathering? I am happy enough with the model since it is the first thing I have painted in 10 years, but still, want it to look a little less embarassing before I post it in the thread!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Sun Dog posted:

Is that a Marshydog? :3:

A Diving Beetle, actually. I WISH it was a marshy dog. I was super psyched when I saw the legs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LP97S posted:

Here's a stock picture of the model box I found on ebay after learning I could have saved a few bucks.

Don't kick yourself too badly. There's something to be said for getting it NOW while you're enthusiastic and ready to go!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Managed to grab some time last night to get a little work done on the M5A1 as I want to get it finished as I am soon to be starting a Flames of War 15mm project. (Talk about scale swap.)

Little bit of weathering and detail added. Track sections to do then pretty much it I reckon. What do you think?

big_g fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 21, 2011

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty nice! Yeah, the only thing missing is mud on the tracks and whatnot. If you're feeling adventurous, scrapes from ricochets or something.

I have put together the Tamiya Soviet anti-tank team kit recently.

The kit is pretty pricey for only five guys, a machinegun and a chunk of wall. The wall bits aren't detailed on the other side, you presumably have to glue them together, which gives you a ridiculously thick wall. On the upside, you do get two PTRDs, one with the handle in the carrying position and one with the handle in the firing position, as well as a sprue with extras: two helmets, a Degtaryov machinegun, two backpacks, 2 PPS and 2 PPSh 30 round mag submachineguns, 4 stick mag ammo pouches, one drum mag ammo pouch, one Mosin ammo pouch, two canteens and three trench shovels. Overall, not really worth the $30-ish you'll most likely pay for it, unless you're dying for a Soviet anti-tank team and can't spare a Panzerfaust from a German kit.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 21, 2011

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
That is an excellent tank. Great work on the weathering.

Work, marriage (newlywed), and various other things have kept me from modeling lately but I'm hoping to get back to my Galactica model and have something to post soon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I wanted to modify a figure a bit, so I got some Tamiya putty (tube with the orange cap). How do I use it in a way that I do not poison myself and melt a hole through my floor?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I wanted to modify a figure a bit, so I got some Tamiya putty (tube with the orange cap). How do I use it in a way that I do not poison myself and melt a hole through my floor?

What exactly are you trying to do? If you are trying to sculpt something to add to your model, you won't be able because it is far too thin (almost like paste). It's supposed to be used for filling gaps, cracks, etc.

It contains a solvent that will dissolve plastic (this is how it adheres itself to the plastic), so there is a danger that if you use too much you will damage your model.

If you want to sculpt something, use epoxy putty

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Well I'm going to call this finished now. I am pretty chuffed with how it came out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What exactly are you trying to do? If you are trying to sculpt something to add to your model, you won't be able because it is far too thin (almost like paste). It's supposed to be used for filling gaps, cracks, etc.

It contains a solvent that will dissolve plastic (this is how it adheres itself to the plastic), so there is a danger that if you use too much you will damage your model.

If you want to sculpt something, use epoxy putty

I needed to fill in some cracks that shouldn't be there. Googling suggests that it's suitable for that purpose. And you can't use it for sculpting? The box said you could :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

big_g posted:

Well I'm going to call this finished now. I am pretty chuffed with how it came out.

Nice. I'm envious of your weathering skills, especially with the rust.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SunknLiner posted:

This thing is going to take for-loving-ever. I can post progress shots if anyone is interested!

Also, still demanding progress shots.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I needed to fill in some cracks that shouldn't be there. Googling suggests that it's suitable for that purpose. And you can't use it for sculpting? The box said you could :(

This is the "basic type" putty right?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, it is. I managed to fill in the gaps I needed filled without damaging anything. The putty seems to have shrunk when it dried, is it supposed to do that?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yes, it is. I managed to fill in the gaps I needed filled without damaging anything. The putty seems to have shrunk when it dried, is it supposed to do that?

Yup

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
And here's what I needed the putty for! I'm happy with my puttying job, you can't even see where the cracks used to be.

The kit is Trumpeter, Soviet Artillery Commander Inspection. The uniforms depicted on the cover are 1940-1943 type, but the figures themselves don't have any insignia on them, aside from the stars on the hats. I tried to make the chevrons from putty and that didn't work so well. Still, it depicts a rather uncommon subject matter. Now I just need to get that 203mm howitzer that's show in the background on the box, but it seems to be not only rare, but fairly expensive.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Still, it depicts a rather uncommon subject matter. Now I just need to get that 203mm howitzer that's show in the background on the box, but it seems to be not only rare, but fairly expensive.

Looking on ebay it can be obtained for 40-50 $. Could also get a m1937 for them.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Hi all, new guy here. I just finished reading the whole thread and found some excellent tips and advice, thought I'd chime in. I've been modelling for two summers now, and I'm still trying to figure out what I like painting the most. So far I've mostly been enjoying sci-fi themes and cars, but I'm open to new stuff as soon as I build some of my backlog.

At the moment I'm starting work on a couple WRC cars for a group build me and some friends have started, will post photos as they progress. Still in the research phase though.

Here are some of the models I've finished so far:
Mig Hovertank work in progress album I had to paint this twice as I didn't like the pink camo scheme.

Airfix Shaun the Sheep

Hasegawa P-47 Thunderbolt Eggplane WIP album here That little bastard was fun to build, even though I'm not 100% pleased with the result. The rivets are actually pin heads I cut and inserted after I scribed the panelling. Next time I'll do better!

Hasegawa Ma.K. Falke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Very nice weathering and such on that Ma.K model. I'm also a huge Wallace & Gromit fan so the sheep is awesome. :haw: