Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Oracles are very mystery dependent, the cleric list is low on easily spammable(being crap at direct damage, which you'd be hard pressed to find an encounter which they can't apply to) spells, so you basically pick out a few broadly applicable buffs, a summon or two, and the rest depends on what your mysteries get. A Heavens oracle can be ungodly with Color Spray for example, and trumps the arcane types trying to pull the same thing.

For the druid....the nerf to Wild Shape is a major step in the right direction(since you can choose to win at casting or melee, but doing both will be hard). Honestly speaking, they can keep full casting...but foist the animal companion to the RANGER. Give the druid the weaker companion good for utility stuffs

Paladins, though they're also a 1/3 caster, are pretty sweet. The Ranger, as mentioned earlier, could probably use a full strength animal companion to support their fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

veekie posted:

For the druid....the nerf to Wild Shape is a major step in the right direction(since you can choose to win at casting or melee, but doing both will be hard). Honestly speaking, they can keep full casting...but foist the animal companion to the RANGER. Give the druid the weaker companion good for utility stuffs

Paladins, though they're also a 1/3 caster, are pretty sweet. The Ranger, as mentioned earlier, could probably use a full strength animal companion to support their fighting.

Wild Shape is still twice as good a melee ability as any the Fighter ever gets, and Natural Spell still exists, so yeah, while Wild Shape was nerfed a bit, after 8th-10th level, Druids continue to make other melee types irrelevant while still having full spellcasting.

Paladins would be really good, except that their entire schtick is being tough as poo poo while not having any good way to make their awesome durability be relevant at all. Nobody gives a gently caress how hard you are if the baddies can just attack your squishy friends before leisurely finishing you off between sips of pina colatas. Like, the only thing PF Paladins need to elevate them from total suck to totally awesome is a marking mechanic. It's such a loving easy and obvious fix that it's mindboggling how Paizo managed to fail to implement it.

Rangers, though, well...they're still doing hit point damage. Until hit point damage actually becomes an efficient way to fight past level 5, they're always going to, by necessity, lag behind. A full-strength animal companion would help, mostly because they could then take the cat companion and do some tripping, which is kind of significant. At least they're decent out of combat (provided you don't have a spellcaster with nothing better to do than make you irrelevant, of course).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, the Smite now works at range.
Go go gadget Shoot-The-BBEG-Into-Itty-Bitty-Pieces.

The thing with Wild Shape is that it depends on your base stats a lot, all it gives you is effectively a weaker Rage(+2 to Str) and a bunch of natural weapons, while 3/4 BAB and Str/Dex/Con being secondary/tertiary stats get in the way.
You have to wait for Beast Shape III(Pounce, +6 Str) at level 8 to catch up, which makes you a great charger(there should be at least one great cat with Bite, Claw, Claw, Rake, Rake out there, but your to hit bonus after BAB and before magic is the same as a fighter's with weapon mastery....if you started at the same Str, you probably didn't). Throw on enhancement bonuses and Power Attack and the manufactured weapon user has a SLIGHT edge, since weapon enhancements are better value than natural weapons and Power Attack needs BAB to run on. Possibly throw in a buff spell, the druid has more difficulty with this due to bonus overlap, ironically the Fighter can be easily buffed since he doesn't have any enhancements to begin with.
Elemental forms can wield weapons I think, so the Earth Elemental makes a good one with Earth Glide.
So overall, the druid can be as good a fighter as a the Fighter, but probably not outright superior without further hijinks, and trades(ok, I kid, the loss is negligible to make Wisdom secondary if you don't have any save dependent spells) some spellcasting ability). But hes still broken because hes a perfectly competent fighter X/day while also being a competent spellcaster.
Its more a matter of the Fighter having nothing to go on though.

The important parts really:
1 - Not suck at what they're supposed to do best. Paladins, with the PF smite, basically get to shred their smite target like wet tissue. The Fighter's bonus to hit and damage isn't bad for this either. Both have the problem of needing to get full attacks to hit. Both have problems if you use them as tanks rather than the high direct damage engines they are.
2 - Have something else they can help at. Paladins have the Lay on Hands, and the Mercies remove some annoying(if rarely hazardous) debuffs, while Turning would help with party healing, even if they have it weaker. They got some ok class skills too, if they had any Int. Fighters are uh......well they fight! :downs:
3 - Not trump other characters at their 1 with your 2. Druids have this problem, they can match a non-cranked mundane fighter type at melee, while also casting great.
4 - Not have your 1s and 2s consist of everything in the game, on the same character. Most prepared casters fail at this.

/long aimless ramble

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
I think that the problem with Paladins is that they're really unfocused. Smite is a great damage dealing ability, but it's the only one they get unless they choose the weapon version of Divine Bond. Half of the rest of their abilities are very tanky (part of Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Lay on Hands, Aura of Courage, Divine Health, Aura of Resolve, Aura of Righteousness/part of Holy Champion) and the rest are very leader-like but not good enough to fill in for an actual, dedicated leader (Mercies, Channel Energy, the little spellcasting they get).

If they're supposed to be high-damage Smite machines then more than one of the Paladin's class features should reflect that. Personally, I look at the class and I see a tank that stays standing by healing himself, or rather I would, except that they don't have any way to draw attacks. Hell, even if Smite had some sort of mark effect rolled into it (maybe make the deflection bonus apply to your allies and not to you? plus some damage?) it would be a good start.

I will admit that I think that Paladins are the one class that really, genuinely improved in Pathfinder, and it seems like Paizo was moving in the right direction and just forgot (more likely refused, or didn't bother) to take the last critical step.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 31, 2011

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, look at the abilities

Aggressive:
Smite Evil - If its evil, you pointed your smite at it, it'd be dead in very short order.
Weapon Bond - Awesome weapon time
Mount Bond - Charger time, that means lance, that means double damage and a horse thats dealing damage.
Spells - Bless Weapon, Divine Favor, Magic Weapon, Bull's Strength, Light Lance(which is kind of a godawesome weapon at the level you can get it, esp with a mount), Righteous Vigor, Weapon of Awe, Saddle Surge(Lance, can't go wrong with lance), Resounding Blow and Holy Sword(pretty much the best weapon you can have at the level you get it, and then you Weapon Bond it).

Defensive/Tanky:
Divine Grace, Aura of X, Divine Health - But only against special attacks, the paladin doesn't tank DAMAGE well, he just shrugs off special attacks.
Smite Evil - Theres a deflection bonus to AC, but then I've had paladins forget it entirely for half the campaign and never notice. What with the smite target being vaporized by then.
Lay on Hands - Healing yeah. Its more a support thing, but Swift self healing is awesome.
Spells - Grace, Hero's Defiance, Protection from Evil, Veil of Positive Energy, Fire of Entanglement(the marking mechanic you requested), Paladin's Sacrifice, Shield Other, Cure X Wounds, Magic Circle, Sanctify Armor, Wrathful Mantle, Death Ward, Dispel Evil, King's Castle.

They don't get enough spells to play support(they have the spells KNOWN, but not the slots) beyond Lay on Hands and Mercies, while the Auras add rather niche bonuses, but looking at the spells, the paladin unique spells are superb for meting out the divine justice, whereas the defensive spells are more efficiently obtained from a cleric.

So if you take a paladin, load your offensive buff of choice(Smite, Weapon Bond, or Spell) and just destroy evil. If you have a mount it just saves one step, is the target durable enough to warrant a smite or a spell, if not, charge with lance, if yes, cast and then charge with lance.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The paladin needs a hand free to LoH though. So if he's using the traditional sword-n-shield (like mine is after my first game the other day) wouldn't he need to burn move actions to put things away and get them back out, thus negating much of what's great about swift self-heals, or do some kind of loony Dervish Dance build?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
If he was try to tank yes, with the shield.

If the paladin is using a 2H weapon for massive damage then release one hand, heal, put that hand back and continue smashing.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
I can't imagine a DM dickish enough to rule that you're not touching yourself unless you have an open hand, but then again if they're still running a 3.x game...

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

I can't imagine a DM dickish enough to rule that you're not touching yourself unless you have an open hand, but then again if they're still running a 3.x game...

Look man the power says lay on hands, you're lucky I'm letting you do it with just one hand.

Discordian Angel
Jul 29, 2006

Petitor lucis illum amat et fovet qui discordiam affert.
I just always end up picturing them bashing themselves in the head when they've got a shield and use lay on hands on themselves. More for imagery than game going, but still just one of those can't help but think it things. I'd still let them do it, especially since its only a move action (I think) on themselves instead of a standard action, worse case I'd have it take a standard if both their hands were full.

Not something I've really thought enough to make a ruling on though, even if I know players in my game have done it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Well I think the idea is that you are pressing your palm to the wound. Of course from what little I know about medieval shields I would reckon my paladin could just let up on his grip a little, touch the wound, and reaffirm his grip. Same diff as the 2h guy just taking his hand off the sword for a sec.

quote:

I just always end up picturing them bashing themselves in the head when they've got a shield and use lay on hands on themselves

They ain't called "pala-dunces" for nothin'.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 2, 2011

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Shields? Yeah, actual shields aren't a problem in that regard, they're strapped to your arm with a handle you hold to actually maneuver it around, and while it does make that arm too unwieldly to do much, you can still touch yourself.

Discordian Angel
Jul 29, 2006

Petitor lucis illum amat et fovet qui discordiam affert.
I just love lay on hands for the fact that this often played chaste goody goody class feature ends up with players have long debates about how well they could touch themselves, or how they managed to touch other people.

It just tingles in all the right ways.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Welp, campaign ADD kicked in for my group, and we're starting a new adventure. It's going to be the Carrion Crown Adventure Path. Our four-person party consists of a 7 int Halfling Paladin with a bonded bear mount, Goblin Magus with so many points in Stealth he might as well be invisible, our Half Elf Shadow Sorcerer, and myself, a Half-Orc Inquisitor/skill monkey.

I fully expect our rag-tag group of mostly-holy demihumans to be run out of town within the first three sessions, and there is a high-to-definite chance I will menace someone/everyone in town with my frighteningly high Intimidate skill.

I am super excited about this.

That aside, I'm building up my Inquisitor to be mostly Strength-based (20 point buy, 18 Str (+2 racial), 14 Con, 14 Wis, the rest 10). I'll be hauling around an angry looking Falchion and mashing Power Attack like it's going out of style. Does anyone have any experience or tips for playing Inquisitors? They look like a lot of fun, but all their built-in proficiencies seem to make them out more like Spontaneous Divine Rangers than Fighters.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 4, 2011

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Does anyone have any experience or tips for playing Inquisitors? They look like a lot of fun, but all their built-in proficiencies seem to make them out more like Spontaneous Divine Rangers than Fighters.

What domain/inquisition are you taking? Strength based inquisitors are powerful self-buffing fighters. What limits you is that most inquisitor powers are swift actions to activate, of which you strictly get one per round.

Domains like Destruction, War, or Strength can give you nice stacking bonuses to damage. Spells like Weapon of Awe will also tend to stack with most bonuses you get, and if you can get that sorcerer to Enlarge Person you here or there you can really be in business. Buffed properly and with 'Keen' on that falchion (from whatever source) you can make a pretty fantastic damage machine at relatively low levels.

And as a fun bonus you're always useful out of combat with intrinsic abilities like discern lies, detect (alignment), and your nice intimidate/sense motive bonuses. Inquisitors are fantastic.

Edit: Don't forget to take enough knowledges to both get the most out of your monster lore class ability and to be able to apply the correct 'Bane' property!

grah fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 4, 2011

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I was actually going to take the Travel Domain for the speed bonus, but the Strength and War Domains look really great. Getting Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength or Rage as free spells is superb for my criminally small spell list.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
You can get some pretty great mileage out of Teamwork feats, especially if you can talk the others into taking at least one. Lookout, Outflank and Paired Opportunist is fantastic(especially Lookout, its one Teamwork everyone would love to have), and Precise Strike is always handy for the d6 when flanking.

Outflank and Paired Opportunist is also a natural combo. You flank, if the target provokes from either of you, it takes an AoO from both. If you crit on the flanked, it also takes an AoO from both. Short version, even without optimizing flanking/AoO, they'd be shredded. If you do, they'd be meat floss.

Inquisitor domains don't grant spells though. So look only at the domain powers.
Animal - Animal Companion, handy mount
Destruction - Destructive Smite/Aura for when you need to kill everything
Liberation - Freedom of Movement to get out of trouble.
Travel - Good for charging(if your DM likes to use difficult terrain), and the bonus speed is nice
Trickery - Mirror Image isn't bad either.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

veekie posted:

You can get some pretty great mileage out of Teamwork feats, especially if you can talk the others into taking at least one.

While of course it is better if your party has these feats and can also benefit from them, solo tactics, and the fact that you can change your most recently acquire bonus teamwork feat at will negate the need, and to an extent the pragmatism of your party taking them. Just take whatever teamwork feats you like, when you like, and benefit from them situationally.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Theres a few you want always active though.

Theres probably no character that wouldn't benefit from Lookout for example.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Can inquisitors take subdomains? The Growth subdomain of the Plant domain gives you enlarge person as a swift action, which is amazing for a melee character.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sure they can. Also the new book Ultimate Magic has special "inquisitions" that are just domains without spells attached. Heresy inquisition is really awesome for ninja skill-monkey types.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Growth Domain does add Enlarge and with the spike armor ability it sorta works.
Most of the subdomain-domain combinations don't add a lot though.

SuperKlaus posted:

Sure they can. Also the new book Ultimate Magic has special "inquisitions" that are just domains without spells attached. Heresy inquisition is really awesome for ninja skill-monkey types.

Anger is decent for combat types(though the domains mentioned still trumps it for the most part).
Conversion is pretty neat for the social version of Heresy.
The rest are rather meh for the most part.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
The Pathfinder SRD has all information released available on the date of release which means you could play this game for the cost of only a set of dice and an internet connection.

That being said, would anyone like to boot up Gametable and play an Online Pathfinder campaign with me? Srs Business.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am curious if the Pathfinder people will ever do anything with D20 Modern

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Alright so here is the story. I am currently playing in the King Maker Pathfinder scenario and my character has been dying a lot due to the nature of the combat at level three. I am making a Cavalier and am looking for advice on how to make a solid build at level three.

A few things to keep in mind, this is a sand box game where we are in charge of running a city, so social skills are actually important. Second, I have access to a bit more cash than the standard character at this level so aim for me to spend three thousand GP. Finally we are about to level and move on to fourth, but the progression is slow so I would like him to be decent at level three.

My initial thoughts are to take the Family Heirloom trait to get myself a +1 Masterwork Longsword. Factoring in the trait that means that I would have to pay only for the +1 trait. In addition the heirloom trait gives me a +1 for the trait, +1 for the weapon modifer and +1 for the masterwork quality. Right?

Also because my character is going to be the towns lord as he is most fitting for the job I was thinking about either going the Order of the Sword or the Order of the Lion. The bonuses are nice but its more just a concern of how my edicts affect my playstyle.

Other than those concerns however I have no idea how I should play this guy out? What feats should I take? How should I allocate my stats? (High Fantasy allocate 25). What skills are usefull and what should my progression work towards?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

rjderouin posted:

Cavalier

The strongest feature of a Cavalier is his Mount. It functions as a Druid's animal companion in terms of feats, skills, bonus tricks etc. AND you never take an armor check penalty to your Ride skill when mounted on it. Past that, being mounted is a serious advantage in combat, and it sounds like in your game you can, without difficulty, ride a large mount most of the time.

The Mounted Combat feat lets you make ride checks to negate attacks on your mount. If your skill check beats the attack, the mount takes no damage.

Alternately if a particularly brutal attack is aimed at you, instead of using your immediate action to protect your mount, you can use it to slip off you mount and hide behind it, using it as cover, for a DC15 ride check. (This isn't part of the feat, you can do this either way)

Once you have Mounted Combat you can also take Ride By Attack, which functions similarly to spring attack, except it's probably better because your horse is faster than the average Fighter or Rogue with spring attack. It should go without saying you are using a lance at this point, for double damage on charges, especially since as a Cavalier you take no AC penalty when charging.

Now with all that said about charging--You do not have to charge headlong into battle every time. You have a whole class ability called Tactician, which encourages you to sit back, survey the battle and buff your allies. You can do this for a round or two, survey the battlefield, identify the biggest threat, issue Challenge, and then go haul off and charge into its face and splatter it (especially once you have Spirited Charge, for triple damage on Lance Charges!)

As for order, Sword is good. Shield is the ideal "Good and Noble Ruler" order and it can help a lot with survivability as well. Lion works nicely if you're in some feudal chain of lordship, really pick whatever fits the character for you.

Building a Cavalier is a little bit tricky, as you're going to want a lot of ability scores, but 25 point buy eases that burden a great deal.

You're a frontline fighter so you'll certainly want Strength and Constitution to be as high as you can manage. You can afford slightly lower Strength since +4 charges and huge damage multipliers will help you keep dishing out high damage even without Strength 20 or whatever. Dex and Charisma are both important, but not necessarily your main stats. You need Dex for your Ride Checks and the AC is nice too, and Charisma determines the strength of certain Order powers (and if you're going to be a Lord is probably not a good dump anyway.) That leaves Wisdom and Intelligence at the bottom of the heap, and neither of these is ideal to dump. Cavaliers do have a little bit of MAD, but they can do an awful lot with relatively balanced, average stats. I'd say choose an Order and build to make it effective, with an eye to the fact that you need to not die after you charge into combat.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

rjderouin posted:

Alright so here is the story. I am currently playing in the King Maker Pathfinder scenario and my character has been dying a lot due to the nature of the combat at level three. I am making a Cavalier and am looking for advice on how to make a solid build at level three.

A few things to keep in mind, this is a sand box game where we are in charge of running a city, so social skills are actually important. Second, I have access to a bit more cash than the standard character at this level so aim for me to spend three thousand GP. Finally we are about to level and move on to fourth, but the progression is slow so I would like him to be decent at level three.

My initial thoughts are to take the Family Heirloom trait to get myself a +1 Masterwork Longsword. Factoring in the trait that means that I would have to pay only for the +1 trait. In addition the heirloom trait gives me a +1 for the trait, +1 for the weapon modifer and +1 for the masterwork quality. Right?
Thats how most people I play with handles it. At third level you might want to enchant your armor first, over your weapon. It gives you more mileage, and you can get something decent for your mount too.

I'd say more on the specifics, but grah already covered a lot of the broad stuff. Order wise, Sword or Shield probably works out nicely.

Equipment choice hadn't been covered yet, but you can use the Heirloom weapon for a lance, two handing it most of the time, and naturally use heavy armor, since you're mounted and couldn't care less about the movement penalties. Don't bother with a shield, a lance has reach anyway, so mounted or not you can preempt the attacker by doing lots of damage.

quote:

Other than those concerns however I have no idea how I should play this guy out? What feats should I take? How should I allocate my stats? (High Fantasy allocate 25). What skills are usefull and what should my progression work towards?
So lets see:
Stats(pre race) - Str 16 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 14
Assuming you're going with a human, you can ditch Int and still manage to cover your social skills with your 4+2 skill points. Now normally you'd favor Wis and Dex above Cha and Int(seeing as they do add to saves), but the 1 point difference probably won't kill you and you want to make a noble type, that means you need the skills. This does encourage Sword a bit more, because of the save bonus.

Race - Human(Stat bonus Str +2, Favored Class bonus +1/4 to Banner bonus)
As good a default as any, you'd find the extra skill per level helpful towards maintaining social skills.
Check with your DM if the Banner bonus kicks in at level 4 or 5, some would allow you to use it at level 4 with the human favored benefit. If you would get the Banner bonus in the foreseeable future(i.e. you expect this character to last until level 4 or 5, whenever it kicks in), it has more value than +1hp/level. If not, take the hp.

Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Handle Animal(just a rank to get the Trained Bonus, spend the balance on Knowledge(nobility or local)), Intimidate, Ride, Sense Motive. Nothing too complicated. Just max them out, the class skill bonus and the +2 from Cha would do the rest. Unless your party already has a bard or some other specialist diplomat anyway. Once you reach level 4 and get Expert Trainer, you don't need to bother much about Handle Animal.

Feats: You got 2 at 1st and 1 and 3rd. Power Attack is a must, as well as Mounted Combat and Ride By Attack. Spirited Charge is next up, while its pretty powerful, you can't always perform a mounted charge(hence Power Attack to cover your rear end for all situations). Beyond that, you probably have a few weeks to work it out at the least.

Traits: Heirloom Weapon is great of course, for the free masterwork weapon and whats basically free weapon focus. Remember to pay to enchant the weapon when you can afford to.
Spend your other trait to get knowledge(nobility or local) to round out the ability. It depends on your GM how useful that winds up mind.

Equipment:
+1 Mw Full Plate 1650gp
Heirloom Mw lance (free)gp
Mw Wooden Barding for horse 230
Ioun Torch 75gp - Light source, optional if you have a caster with light cantrips in the party
Backup melee weapon - Dagger, spiked gauntlet and/or armor spikes should do, in case you get grappled. Armor spikes are better in that you can use them without dropping your two handed reach weapon, but you might not want the imagery.
Backup missile weapon - Get a chakram or some other cheap ranged weapon, in case the enemy flies or something. You have a terrible to hit bonus with your low Dex, but its better than just sitting there fuming.

Tactics:
grah got pretty much it all. For most fights you just turn on that power attack and charge them. Lance has reach so you'd probably not provoke until you meet Large(on Ride By) or bigger monsters(on regular charges).

veekie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 12, 2011

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I am playing Kingmaker at the moment as a Paladin with the mounted feats and honestly found them to be somewhat underwhelming for the campaign so far. We're 3rd level and just killed the Stag Lord, but I've been in maybe 3 fights out of ten where I've been able to use my mount. Now when you're able to get it online, it's amazing and you deal a ridiculous amount of damage with a great bonus to hit, but every time we're indoors I just feel like they're wasted feats.

I'm not sure if it's because the DM is taking active steps to nerf me (in the fight with Kressle at the bandit camp she threw down caltrops and they had dug pits specifically to thwart my horsemanship) or if it's just meant to be something you get to be awesome at every once in a while. A three feat investment for Spirited Charge is not a great payoff when you can only use it once in a blue moon and are missing out on things like Weapon Focus that are good all the time.

We're at the very end of the first module, and from what I understand, the mood shifts from exploration to empire building, so maybe horses get more play there. The DM allowed me to train out of my horse feats to get more tank oriented abilities, but I kept Mounted Combat because I feel like that's as deep as I want to go to show that my character is still good on horseback.

Kingmaker is pretty old I think, do we need spoiler text for it?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

quote:

A three feat investment for Spirited Charge is not a great payoff when you can only use it once in a blue moon and are missing out on things like Weapon Focus that are good all the time.
Well, probably not Weapon Focus, you get that much for a Trait already.
You might get more mileage out of Cleave probably. Or if you upped Dex(gotta ditch the full plate unless you have mithril though), you can go for Combat Reflexes and then Stand Still instead, since you have a reach weapon anyway.
Lunge has uses too, as does Improved Initiative, until you can get the higher end feats like Dazing Assault.
The Dodge chain and the Trip chain are too feat intensive for you though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm not sure if there is a generic 3.5 thread, so I'll just post what I'm selling here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3418496

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

This may seem like a dumb question but how many skill points do you start out with when you're rolling up a new character?

The information in the game manual indicates the skill points you get when you level, but don't explicitly state how many skill points you begin with, unless I've been missing them in the material.

At this point I'm guessing it's just Class + Int. Modifier.

Edit: Thanks! VVV

Kumo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 14, 2011

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That's right. When it says "skill ranks per level", it means at every level, including 1st.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Those pre-painted minis that have just gone on sale are shockingly ugly.

I suppose that is just what you expect from pre-painted though. They either are done by hand and cost the earth, or they come out like that, and still don't come cheap.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Those pre-painted minis that have just gone on sale are shockingly ugly.

I suppose that is just what you expect from pre-painted though. They either are done by hand and cost the earth, or they come out like that, and still don't come cheap.

Valeros has the worst facial expression. He's like "oh look, I have swords." Or maybe he's just upset at the metal cup hitting him in the balls every time he takes a step.

Meepo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 15, 2011

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm going to be playing in a Kingmaker campaign in a few weeks and I haven't played a Wizard before. Which is better for an Elf; Evoker or Transmuter?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm going to be playing in a Kingmaker campaign in a few weeks and I haven't played a Wizard before. Which is better for an Elf; Evoker or Transmuter?

Evoker is never better.
Blowing poo poo up with magic was bad enough in 3.x; it's even worse in Pathfinder.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Today's Paizo email was about a new product called the Advanced Race Guide. The description didn't quite match up, but I'm wondering if this is going to try and be a less awful version of Savage Species.

quote:

This definitive sourcebook for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game provides tons of new character options for all seven “core” player character races, from archetypes that allow elf characters to explore their connection to nature and magic to feats and spells that let a dwarf character carry on the legacy of his multi-generational clan or a gnome explore her connection to the First World or delve deep into her weird obsessions.

Additionally, the Advanced Race Guide offers meaty sections on a dozen “spotlight” races that make interesting and exciting player character options, such as goblins, aasimar, tieflings, dhampyrs, drow, the elemental races from Bestiary 2, and several others.

All PC-appropriate monster races in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, including creatures from all three Bestiaries and The Inner Sea World Guide, receive race options equivalent to those presented for the core races in the Core Rulebook, for the first time allowing players to create and play characters like merfolk, grippli, duergar, stryx, and every other appropriate monster currently in the Pathfinder game.

Lastly, the Advanced Race Guide includes an extensive section that allows players and GMs to build their own custom races, either to emulate more powerful creatures that already exist in the game or to create wholly original characters unique to their campaign. This section will be the focus of Paizo’s next major Open Playtest effort, which will kick off in late fall 2011.

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 16, 2011

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

256 pages for 40 bucks...blah.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

LongDarkNight posted:

A Transmuter is still as superior as ever, though if you're running an Elf, you might want to use the Enchancement subschool version of it to take advantage of your weapon proficiencies. Thats a +1 to two stats, a standard action to add another +2 to one stat(use this on your buddies, its cheap until you can afford to drop Enlarge every fight), and later on a swift action +4(at least) to one stat. And then you slap Beast Shape II on top.

Though it doesn't pay out until at least third level when you can expect it to last long enough to get more than one hit out of it. Before then just use it on the 2H weapons guy for +2 str, that translates to more damage increase than you'd do with your spells anyway.

What level are you starting at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

veekie posted:

Though it doesn't pay out until at least third level when you can expect it to last long enough to get more than one hit out of it. Before then just use it on the 2H weapons guy for +2 str, that translates to more damage increase than you'd do with your spells anyway.

Why are you doing damage with your spells to begin with? That's like, the worst thing you can do with your spells.