Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Malloreon posted:

on the other hand, their $600M in yearly postage costs are going down.

The new web interface for instant is TERRIBLE.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. They made it more like the PS3 interface, which is terrible and only excusable because its a game console. What the gently caress is this poo poo, I have to leave my mouse at the edge of the screen to scroll movies? Dumb, dumb, dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I don't know where else to get angry about this, but this redesign is absolutely abyssmal. Have to mouse over to the side to scroll, it scrolls EXTREMELY slow, you now have to mouse over for a second to see the star ratings for EACH title, the movie images are way too big, there's no way to view movies in a list or sort them in ANY way. This is absolutely terrible. It was fine the way it was, what the hell.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Found a movie called Lo - was surprisingly engaging for the setup and has a great ending.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this layout's godawful. I thought maybe my kids did something to the account settings or something. To contribute, I read the recommendation of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover here and I absolutely have to restate it. It's amazing, despite how much I questioned it in the beginning.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

mds2 posted:

I canceled Dish in January and have been using Hulu Plus since then without many complaints. Commercials are short and you cant really beat it for $8 a month. I'd recommend a Roku player to anyone if you want a ton of other free poo poo to watch.

Also started watching Blue Velvet last night. I've always heard it was a really good movie but so far I've found it incredibly boring. Maybe it is just Lynch because I fell asleep during Eraserhead.

I got a Roku about a month ago. What else besides Netflix and Hulu+ is worth watching?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Wow, so it is a new interface. I thought netflix was just bugging out on me.

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran

particle409 posted:

I got a Roku about a month ago. What else besides Netflix and Hulu+ is worth watching?

Vimeo, even though it doesn't link to your account correctly, the staff picks and hd channel are great, as is being able to search content.

I use Amazon on Demand, because amazon frequently has giveaway VOD credits so it's often free.

If you like the music, Radio Paradise is a nice screen saver type thing to keep going in the background.

There are lots of "hidden" unofficial channels, do some google searches and you might find something you like.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just watched Impostor, one of the many movies adapted from a Philip K. Dick Short Story. It was clearly made on a limited budget and the special effects and fight choreography were not the greatest but it was a really great movie and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi or Philip K. Dick in particular. Honestly, it felt like a better version of Minority Report.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Arrggh! I like to browse online, instead of using the search function on my Roku. I keep clicking the movies to get the info screen, but it just starts playing them instead. I can't browse back or anything until the movie loads. Terrible new layout.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
A friend of mine gave me a Boxxee for Christmas and that's what we watch Netflix and all that on. What's the difference, if any, between a Boxxee and a Roku? I know they're competitors and run their own software but does one have advantages over the other?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DamienChilde posted:

Vimeo, even though it doesn't link to your account correctly, the staff picks and hd channel are great, as is being able to search content.

I use Amazon on Demand, because amazon frequently has giveaway VOD credits so it's often free.

If you like the music, Radio Paradise is a nice screen saver type thing to keep going in the background.

There are lots of "hidden" unofficial channels, do some google searches and you might find something you like.

I'm not experienced with Amazon's service, but I guess they have a "free" streaming service if you have Amazon Prime, which a lot of college students have. So if you're a college student it's worth checking out.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
The traffic for Netflix is dramatically going down too, it seems. Can't find the chart, anymore.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Jibo posted:

I'm not experienced with Amazon's service, but I guess they have a "free" streaming service if you have Amazon Prime, which a lot of college students have. So if you're a college student it's worth checking out.
Actually, the Prime college students get doesn't include the streaming service. Only paid prime accounts have that privilege.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I thought enough people would be bitching about the PS3 interface for them to buy a loving clue and not repeat it on the website.

I need another Roku.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

particle409 posted:

hbogo.com if you're already an hbo subscriber. It's worth it because all of their shows are available to watch.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
I really wish Roku could stream everything on PBS's website :(

Anyways, Netflix's website redesign has essentially ruined the service for me. I recommend anybody who is feeling the same way to call them at 1-866-716-0414. It only takes 2 minutes of your time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KarmaticStylee posted:

Anyways, Netflix's website redesign has essentially ruined the service for me. I recommend anybody who is feeling the same way to call them at 1-866-716-0414. It only takes 2 minutes of your time.

Just did this, the guy I spoke to was very polite, asked me what specifically I didn't like about the interface, and said there's a meeting to go over feedback next Friday.

My specific complaints: scrolling is much shower and now requires a hover. ratings are only shown one at a time after a long hover. sorting is gone entirely. no movie titles visible.

He mentioned that people had been asking for a more "flashy, easy to use" interface, and my reply was that those interfaces work well when displayed on a TV on the other side of the room, but when the screen is so close, functionality is more important.

Highly recommended everyone does this - as the guy said, "this is how we make our decisions."

Fate Accomplice has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jun 11, 2011

RitualConfuser
Apr 22, 2008
If you don't like the new interface, use this link which takes you back to the old interface for the main page. Doesn't fix everything though.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

RitualConfuser posted:

If you don't like the new interface, use this link which takes you back to the old interface for the main page. Doesn't fix everything though.

This looks exactly like my current interface...

Weezy88
Sep 25, 2006
I use netflix on my ps3 and if our interface is what you guys have now then man I feel for you. The ps3 interface is so lovely.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
IP - Man a really good kung fu movie with a good storyline.

Chocolate - another martial arts flick I enjoyed.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

When on a genre page, tacking '&vt=tl' onto the URL gives you some sorting.

It's crazy that the interface is so terrible that we are sharing URL parameter hacks.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
I know Black Dynamite has been mentioned many many times already, but it's being taken off Instant Watch on the 17th so if you haven't seen it for some reason now would be a good time.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just watched Operation: Endgame because I was looking for a brainless action movie (and it has Zach Galifianakis). Great cast - also has Rob Corddry, Jeffrey Tambour, Bob Odenkirk and Ving Rhames - and hilarious dialog, but only the first half is worth watching.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Loved this quote I saw in the EWeekly article about the new interface:

quote:

Steve Swasey, vice president of corporate communicates at Netflix, says he’s well familiar with the user backlash. “Most of [the comments] have the same theme, which is ‘what was wrong with before?’ What we’re saying is we’ve tested this extensively, we know the vast, vast majority of people like this. It’s new, it’s easier, it’s cleaner.” When questioned about whether Netflix is planning on keeping the new interface despite the negative response, Swasey said, “Absolutely. We made it and tested it and researched it and tried it out and everywhere we tried it, it had a better reception. Otherwise we wouldn’t have made the change.”

Seriously this is some of the worst PR I've ever seen. Customers complaining? It must just be because they're scared of change! After all you've tested this product so it must be wonderful, I'm sure the silent majority is on your side.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

particle409 posted:

Arrggh! I like to browse online, instead of using the search function on my Roku. I keep clicking the movies to get the info screen, but it just starts playing them instead. I can't browse back or anything until the movie loads. Terrible new layout.

If you hover over the movie until the info bubble pops out, then click the title in the info bubble, that will take you to the movie/show page.

How can anyone think this is easier/better?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

This is like when everyone started changing their logos ~late 90s because it "looks cooler"

MTN DEW!

oh yeah, um, go watch Street Fight I guess. Cory Booker's run for mayor in 2002 against a corrupt entrenched mayor and machine.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KarmaticStylee posted:

Seriously guys, if it bothers you (it bothers me), please call them up and tell them. They'll listen, and though nothing will likely happen, everything helps, despite that VP being a public douchebag.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, the new Netflix design looks like the website is broken/incomplete, works slower at optimal performance, AND is harder on your computer/browser. Sweet. I'll get around to calling at some point, I wish I could just complain via email though, so much easier.

As for the Hulu+ conversation: I really liked the trial on Xbox. Quality was good, has a ton of back episodes, went to watch the Simpsons (I think, I ran into this problem with 3 shows I usually use Hulu for, and that's one of my main ones) "This title can only be viewed online." What bullshit, I'm paying (theoretically, if this hadn't been the free trial I guess), you're still running commercials, and it restricts what you can watch on different devices on your paid account.

No chance of business from me until that's lifted. It was like all the shows you'd actually want to watch were blocked. All I ended up watching was this season of Bobs Burgers.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I called to complain a while back when they first changed the PS3 format over to the new visual style. They seemed aware that the overall impression was negative but I guess they don't care.

Has the Roku interface changed for the worse?

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chinaski posted:

Has the Roku interface changed for the worse?

No change, and considering I already prefer instantwatcher to browse netflix content, I am currently indifferent to the changes they made.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
The netflix official blog post about the change has over 4,700 comments 99% of the ones I have read are people complaining about how horrible it is

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/06/new-look-and-feel-for-netflix-website.html

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I haven't been to the website since they've added the ability to search to the 360 interface, but if it's as bad as you guys say it is then it would make me really happy to see them change it back. Considering how often people make lovely design changes for websites and then refusing to admit to the mistake, I think it would send a good message to see a company like Netflix doing it.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

The thing is that it's not just a redesign. A redesign changes your visual view of functionality. They literally removed the best functionality along with the visual change

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but my entire queue just disappeared. I finished a movie and clicked "back to browsing" button, and it's gone.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Orunitier posted:

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but my entire queue just disappeared. I finished a movie and clicked "back to browsing" button, and it's gone.

It just happened to me as well, as I just logged in to look for something to watch.
I tried to call customer service and it said "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume, please try back later." And disconnected.
Given that I bet it just happened to a lot of people if not everyone...

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Orunitier posted:

Yup, same here. My entire regular and instant queues are gone, I can't add anything to them, and I can't watch anything on instant. They better loving fix this because I had 500 movies in each queue and I'm gonna be seriously depressed if I have to start from scratch again. Netflix really needs to get their poo poo together.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Orunitier posted:

I was watching Top Gear about an hour ago. Started an episode to mark it as watched for later (since I had just googled looking for the specific episode to show my buddy and wouldn't remember S11E2 for the life of me when the weekend rolled around). Went to watch Arrested Development, it wouldn't connect. My queue was still there, it just refused to connect. PS3 if it matters.

As far as content goes, I just added [b]The Trotsky[/i] yesterday. It's a comedy staring Jay Baruchel. It's about a son of a factory owner who believes he's the reincarnated/second coming of Soviet revolutionary Leon Trotsky. I watched about half of it and didn't finish it after dinner, but it was really enjoyable what I've seen of it thus far.

npd2004
Sep 12, 2007
And on that day, we fought for Rome.
Here is a Chrome extension to take the instant page back to its old form: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ngacmlmclfopgbnmefcffgbcjiafbfpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

npd2004 posted:

Here is a Chrome extension to take the instant page back to its old form: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ngacmlmclfopgbnmefcffgbcjiafbfpo

Oh god, so much better! Thanks!

• Locked thread