Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
Are your backaches the same type you have when you have your period? Is the blood actually in your discharge or are you seeing it when you wipe? Fever? I ask because it could be a UTI/kidney infection. Otherwise, I've had plenty of months where the cycle just goes wonky for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Awkward question of the year;

I posted about starting nuva ring like a page ago. The first one went in without a hitch using a tampon applicator. I put in a new one in yesterday and it won't stay up inside my vagina. It keeps wanting to slide out. Should I use a different one or something? I did it the exact same way and when I used this as a teenager I never recall having this issue.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That's weird, I'll exchange your awkward question for my own awkward answer. This feels ridiculous to say but try to REALLY shove it in there. :haw: I've had that happen once before when I put it in and I didn't get it in far enough for it to naturally sit back on it's own. May or may not be related, but if I recall that happened when I hadn't had sex in awhile since I was away from my SO for months at a time during school.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Potential :nms: ahead.

I started my first week without the pill on Thursday, and very early morning I was suddenly bleeding much heavier than I had been the other days. I also felt a horrible pain in my vagina, which suddenly vanished not long after I made an emergency night towel change because this was literally a waterfall.

A few hours later, I go to change my towel again because it's filled up again (I didn't think a tampon could handle it). I find :nms: what looks like a huge lump of tissue, about two inchs wide and two inches long, and not too thick. It didn't break apart when I touch or tug it, and when I picked it up it looked like it had a tube sort of shape with one 'shut' end and one 'open' end. There was red on the outside and some lighter patches on the inside. It was like either my cervix or my vag had decided to shed. :gonk:

I already had a doctor's appointment booked for monday since my doctor wanted to check I wasn't having any abnormal reactions to the pill, so I'll certainly bring this up. But I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar since this has never happened to me before.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Pyrotoad posted:

I started my first week without the pill on Thursday, and very early morning I was suddenly bleeding much heavier than I had been the other days. I also felt a horrible pain in my vagina, which suddenly vanished not long after I made an emergency night towel change because this was literally a waterfall.

A few hours later, I go to change my towel again because it's filled up again (I didn't think a tampon could handle it). I find :nms: what looks like a huge lump of tissue, about two inchs wide and two inches long, and not too thick. It didn't break apart when I touch or tug it, and when I picked it up it looked like it had a tube sort of shape with one 'shut' end and one 'open' end. There was red on the outside and some lighter patches on the inside. It was like either my cervix or my vag had decided to shed. :gonk:

I already had a doctor's appointment booked for monday since my doctor wanted to check I wasn't having any abnormal reactions to the pill, so I'll certainly bring this up. But I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar since this has never happened to me before.

Is the pill your first method of birth control? Because something similar happened to a friend of mine on Depo. In her case, the Depo caused her bleeding to be deferred, and the built-up uterine lining spontaneously sloughed off all at once. She freaked, thought she was miscarrying an unbeknownst pregnancy. The body does weird poo poo sometimes.

In your case, the pain + heavy bleeding worries me. But the 'emergency' measurement that a doctor has told me in my personal experience is "filling a pad in an hour." Horrible to measure in that way but easy enough to test. So don't freak, the human body can bleed torrential amounts and still function. However, if you're passing out/having other adverse effects, go straight to emergency.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

fork bomb posted:

Is the pill your first method of birth control? Because something similar happened to a friend of mine on Depo. In her case, the Depo caused her bleeding to be deferred, and the built-up uterine lining spontaneously sloughed off all at once. She freaked, thought she was miscarrying an unbeknownst pregnancy. The body does weird poo poo sometimes.

In your case, the pain + heavy bleeding worries me. But the 'emergency' measurement that a doctor has told me in my personal experience is "filling a pad in an hour." Horrible to measure in that way but easy enough to test. So don't freak, the human body can bleed torrential amounts and still function. However, if you're passing out/having other adverse effects, go straight to emergency.

It is my first method, yep, but it's more just because I was sick of dealing with periods than for birth control purposes.
The pain stopped when I assume I passed the thing, and I haven't felt anything since, no lightheadedness or anything, not to mention the flow is back down to 'annoying trickle' levels.

Thank you, this was reassuring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pyrotoad posted:

Sounds like what most people call a clot. They're kind of gross/weird looking and it sounds like you had a big one, but they happen sometimes. I know I tend to have more of them than I used to now that I'm on the pill but I don't know if that's the pill or just changes with age.

Passing the occasional clot is not a big deal, but bleeding like that is worrisome so you might want to ask about that when you go to the doctor (assuming it's still slowed down for now).

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Pyrotoad posted:

:nms:

Exactly this happened to me on my first week off the pill. I was bleeding like mad and I had a similar thing come out in the shower. It was weird and gross but it only happened that first day and after a few hours the bleeding was much lighter and I had no problems whatsoever since. Don't worry, my vagina is still intact, it should be alright :)

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Oddly enough for me, this has been the lightest period I've ever had. I had been off the pill for a couple of months and hadn't had a period, then went three weeks with the Nuva Ring. Took that out Sunday night, didn't start bleeding until Tuesday. It's finishing up today, and I think at most I used three tampons.

Wow.

I. Am. In. Love.

Normally if I go for a few months without a period, I will be bleeding for at least a week, and changing tampons constantly.

I think the NuvaRing and I are going to be best buds.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I don't think I have a UTI, I've had one before and know what it feels like. This is just bad period like cramps and bloody discharge. It might not be something I need to worry about but I'm just afraid of implantation bleeding or something loving with my cycle.

Also there are so many cat avatars. What the Christ?

VV I just thought it was funny because there are so many in this thread that is almost exclusively about pussies.

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 13, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

My Little Puni posted:

Also there are so many cat avatars. What the Christ?

Says a person with a MLP avatar :haw:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pyrotoad posted:

This honestly sounds extremely normal for me. It's why the diva cup has really worked out for me because tampons don't do anything for clots. I'm honestly worried that I have some sort of clotting disorder because I can get a deep as gently caress gash that will spurt blood and then stop after 1 spurt. I've had a million tests run on me for other reasons so I think they would have picked something up but meh.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

This honestly sounds extremely normal for me. It's why the diva cup has really worked out for me because tampons don't do anything for clots. I'm honestly worried that I have some sort of clotting disorder because I can get a deep as gently caress gash that will spurt blood and then stop after 1 spurt. I've had a million tests run on me for other reasons so I think they would have picked something up but meh.

A little off topic, but my guy is like this. He cut his knee just super deep a while back and I'm going " :supaburn: stitches!" because he's pouring blood. He just says "nah" and after a little pressure with his hanky, it totally stopped bleeding and was completely scabbed up the next day. As far as anyone can tell, though, his blood is A-OK.

Me? I'll bleed out from a paper cut.

Custard
May 8, 2007

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.
So after my last post, I spent some time researching the pros and cons of nuvaring and mirena, and thought maybe mirena was a better option but would talk to my GP about it. We didn't get that far - the only
option she gave was that cerazette was only meant to be taken for 3 months, then come off it and my bleeding would be controlled for the rest of the time I'm on the implant! I'm rather skeptical, as when
I forgot to take my cerazette on a weekend away I had a withdrawal bleed straight away. I can't see how his would work, unless there is a build up of hormones, which would give me the same sex drive issues anyway.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Custard posted:

So after my last post, I spent some time researching the pros and cons of nuvaring and mirena, and thought maybe mirena was a better option but would talk to my GP about it. We didn't get that far - the only
option she gave was that cerazette was only meant to be taken for 3 months, then come off it and my bleeding would be controlled for the rest of the time I'm on the implant! I'm rather skeptical, as when
I forgot to take my cerazette on a weekend away I had a withdrawal bleed straight away. I can't see how his would work, unless there is a build up of hormones, which would give me the same sex drive issues anyway.

Well, that's a bunch of bullshit :( I'm sorry she wouldn't listen to you. Maybe stick with whatever she told you for a couple of weeks and then go back and say "NOW LISTEN HERE I AM INTERESTED IN THIS OPTION AND HERE ARE MY REASONS." While we aren't meant to prescribe things for ourselves, you have the right to have a full conversation with your GP and cover all your questions.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I had a similar problem with my GP--I wanted a copper IUD/non-hormonal option, and they put me on Cerazette instead and told me to come back in three months. I went back three months later and no matter what I asked for they gave me another six months of Cerazette. :(

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Grushenka posted:

I had a similar problem with my GP--I wanted a copper IUD/non-hormonal option, and they put me on Cerazette instead and told me to come back in three months. I went back three months later and no matter what I asked for they gave me another six months of Cerazette. :(

Wow gently caress your GPs. I went to my gyn and said " I want a paragard" and they said OK and made an appointment. Maybe they are super inexperienced on inserting one? If that's the case you don't want them to do it anyway. Go to planned parenthood or somewhere that they should have good experience.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tigntink posted:

Wow gently caress your GPs. I went to my gyn and said " I want a paragard" and they said OK and made an appointment. Maybe they are super inexperienced on inserting one? If that's the case you don't want them to do it anyway. Go to planned parenthood or somewhere that they should have good experience.

Could be inexperience with insertion or it could be that they buy into that belief that IUDs are only for women who have previously had children/are in long term relationships. IUDs also still have a bad reputation with some people because of the whole Dalkon Shield debacle. Or maybe the doctor's just set in their ways and prefers this kind of treatment? Hard to say.

There's nothing wrong with getting second opinion if you believe that something else would work better for you and you just aren't being listened to.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Tigntink posted:

I live in the UK, so no Planned Parenthood here. I dunno what the issue was--they said they wanted to make absolutely sure I wasn't pregnant before they insert an IUD, but when I came in and said, 'oh hey it's been three months and I'm not pregnant, so how 'bout that IUD?' she just went 'Oh okay so no problems with Cerazette? Here have another six months!' no matter how much I explained that I wanted a non-hormonal option.

Tobasko
May 15, 2006
I was on LoEstrin24 for 3 years and last month I decided not to get another pack because 1)it's really expensive 2)not really needing to protect myself at the moment :p and 3)considering switching to an IUD at some point.

Buuut now it's been over a month and I haven't had my period. Is that normal when you go off the pill? Before I started the pill (when I was 18) my periods were really irregular, but they would usually happen too often and not stay away for such a long time. I'm not worried about pregnancy since to my knowledge, I haven't had sex.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Grushenka posted:

I live in the UK, so no Planned Parenthood here. I dunno what the issue was--they said they wanted to make absolutely sure I wasn't pregnant before they insert an IUD, but when I came in and said, 'oh hey it's been three months and I'm not pregnant, so how 'bout that IUD?' she just went 'Oh okay so no problems with Cerazette? Here have another six months!' no matter how much I explained that I wanted a non-hormonal option.
:geno:

I'd find a new OBGYN. That's just seriously rude and unprofessional for them to completely disregard anything you say.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Hey gals, I just wanted to follow up on the Mirena IUD. I posted here in February when I first got mine with complaints of pain/bloating. 4 months later and my periods have dithered to nothing (woohoo!) My sex drive is almost back to normal (previous pills pretty much killed my labido) and no crazy mood swings. I'm super happy with it! Also no more bloating :) It took a couple weeks but it finally went away.

My OBGYN was only willing to give me the IUD after I tried a couple low-dosage pills. She seemed to be mostly concerned with pain/expulsion regarding the fact that I haven't had children.

The low sex-drive thing was really becoming an issue with my husband so I feel like this IUD may have saved my marriage. Maybe that is a bit extreme, but I am really so happy with it. If you are thinking about getting an IUD and your doctor doesn't want to at least consider it with you, try going to a different OBGYN or Planned Parenthood.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
So, I started the patch last Thursday. I know I'm supposed to be using condoms for 7 days after initially starting the patch. Does that include this coming Thursday (which will have been a week since I put my first patch on)? i.e. can I have unprotected sex on Thursday, or am I supposed to wait until Friday?

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Tobasko posted:

I was on LoEstrin24 for 3 years and last month I decided not to get another pack because 1)it's really expensive 2)not really needing to protect myself at the moment :p and 3)considering switching to an IUD at some point.

Buuut now it's been over a month and I haven't had my period. Is that normal when you go off the pill? Before I started the pill (when I was 18) my periods were really irregular, but they would usually happen too often and not stay away for such a long time. I'm not worried about pregnancy since to my knowledge, I haven't had sex.

I've been on Loestrin 24 for about 4 years. I quit for the same first two reasons you did. That was 6 and a half (or so) weeks ago and still haven't had any hint of a period. I'm definitely not pregnant, so I'm just going to enjoy the non-period-getting effects as long as they last.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Budget Bears posted:

So, I started the patch last Thursday. I know I'm supposed to be using condoms for 7 days after initially starting the patch. Does that include this coming Thursday (which will have been a week since I put my first patch on)? i.e. can I have unprotected sex on Thursday, or am I supposed to wait until Friday?

You should be ok on Thursday as it will be day 8, but waiting till Friday won't hurt

e: I went to Planned Parenthood about my implanon making me bleed for almost 3 months straight, and they told me wait it out for another month. I know my hair has been falling out like no other, so should i wait the month like they said or make another appt asap? I'm sick of bleeding!!!

I'm looking into nuvaring to go on instead of implanon, I like how it is inserted every 4 weeks, the low hormone dose, and i dont have to take pills! Any other pros and cons I should worry about?

Lanthanum fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 14, 2011

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I have a question about Implanon and the use of St. John's Wort. Basically, I've dealt with depression most of my life, and am currently off medication. What I've found is that antidepressants served a great role in my life for awhile, but now I don't need to be on them all the time. However, sometimes I do start falling into a depressive cycle and St. John's Wort helps cut that off. So far it's the only thing I've found that I can use as-needed like that, as in not requiring a month or so to become effective and no withdrawals. (background included just so no one harps on me self-medicating or the dangers of herbal medicine or whatever like I sometimes see on these forums)

Anyway, I remember when I got my PP handout about Implanon it talked about anti-depressants and St. John's Wort interfering with BC. I was on an SSRI at the time and my doctor said it shouldn't be a problem, and now with all the research I'm doing it appears that St. John's Wort is simply known to interfere with oral BC absorption (which obviously isn't a problem with Implanon). I did call my doctor and she didn't know off the top of her head, so is going to look it up and call me back.

I thought I'd come on here and ask you knowledgeable ladies, though. Does anyone know if I should avoid St. John's Wort while using Implanon, or is that only for oral BC?

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

I have a question about Implanon and the use of St. John's Wort. Basically, I've dealt with depression most of my life, and am currently off medication. What I've found is that antidepressants served a great role in my life for awhile, but now I don't need to be on them all the time. However, sometimes I do start falling into a depressive cycle and St. John's Wort helps cut that off. So far it's the only thing I've found that I can use as-needed like that, as in not requiring a month or so to become effective and no withdrawals. (background included just so no one harps on me self-medicating or the dangers of herbal medicine or whatever like I sometimes see on these forums)

Anyway, I remember when I got my PP handout about Implanon it talked about anti-depressants and St. John's Wort interfering with BC. I was on an SSRI at the time and my doctor said it shouldn't be a problem, and now with all the research I'm doing it appears that St. John's Wort is simply known to interfere with oral BC absorption (which obviously isn't a problem with Implanon). I did call my doctor and she didn't know off the top of her head, so is going to look it up and call me back.

I thought I'd come on here and ask you knowledgeable ladies, though. Does anyone know if I should avoid St. John's Wort while using Implanon, or is that only for oral BC?

It's not just with oral BC. It'll make the Implanon less effective and will increase your risk of pregnancy.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

DRP Solved! posted:

It's not just with oral BC. It'll make the Implanon less effective and will increase your risk of pregnancy.

Thanks. Do you (or does anyone else) know if there are other interaction side effects, or if it is just an effectiveness thing? And if so, would it just be like any other interaction thing (like antibiotics and the pill, for example), and just require me to use back up BC during the treatment and for a week or so afterward?

Like I said, I am waiting for a call from my doc, but knowing her that could take a week or so (thanks to the way overtaxed rural health care system) so I'm just wondering in the meantime. Or I guess any suggestions for another short-term antidepressant that doesn't interfere with BC would be great, too.

Ah, the joys of hormonal BC. When were they going to have the male pill ready, again? ;)

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
The interaction involves the St John's wort decreasing the progestin levels in your blood through increased metabolism. Therefore, all of the effects of lower progestin levels (reduced contraceptive effect, breakthrough bleeding, etc) are possible. Use backup during SJW treatment and at least 7 days after stopping, but be aware that the interaction could be prolonged beyond this amount of time.

I am surprised to hear that SJW works so quickly for you, though, since it usually takes as much time as standard antidepressants to work. Do you have depression on its own, or do you have something like bipolar disorder? Pardon my curiosity, I'm a pharmacy student. You can PM me if you'd like to discuss it in a less public area, or you can simply ignore this paragraph if you'd prefer. :)

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

DRP Solved! posted:

The interaction involves the St John's wort decreasing the progestin levels in your blood through increased metabolism. Therefore, all of the effects of lower progestin levels (reduced contraceptive effect, breakthrough bleeding, etc) are possible. Use backup during SJW treatment and at least 7 days after stopping, but be aware that the interaction could be prolonged beyond this amount of time.

I am surprised to hear that SJW works so quickly for you, though, since it usually takes as much time as standard antidepressants to work. Do you have depression on its own, or do you have something like bipolar disorder? Pardon my curiosity, I'm a pharmacy student. You can PM me if you'd like to discuss it in a less public area, or you can simply ignore this paragraph if you'd prefer. :)

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. :)

I'd be happy to talk about my use of St. John's Wort in more detail (I honestly don't deny that it might be placebo effect, but it still works which when we're talking about can't-get-out-of-bed crippling depression is all that matters to me) but I don't have PMs. Do you have an e-mail you feel comfortable posting? If not I can do a throwaway one. I'll be online all evening though (yay heavy smoke from distant wildfires making breathing outside impossible) so can get back to you quickly.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

I'd be happy to talk about my use of St. John's Wort in more detail (I honestly don't deny that it might be placebo effect, but it still works which when we're talking about can't-get-out-of-bed crippling depression is all that matters to me) but I don't have PMs. Do you have an e-mail you feel comfortable posting? If not I can do a throwaway one. I'll be online all evening though (yay heavy smoke from distant wildfires making breathing outside impossible) so can get back to you quickly.

Sure thing, my e-mail is vidensnitzel (at) gmail dot com.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2tomorrow posted:

Me too, please. wizardofeggplant at gmail.com

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My girlfriend just got back from her doctor after having her implanon removed (she was convinced it was affecting her mood pretty badly, she's bipolar and has been pretty loving down ever since having it implanted). The doctor told her that the effect of implanon on mood was "only theoretical", so removal might not help. I'm not sure about that, but it sounds like alot of people have mood problems with hormonal BC.

The next thing that happened was she asked the doc about a copper IUD. The doc's response was along the lines of "it could easily be much worse period/pain wise, and you'll have to go under general anesthetic to get it inserted". I'd never heard of general being necessary to insert in IUD, so I googled a bit, and every result seemed to be people saying "my doctor said I'd need general" and everyone else saying "bullshit, get a new doctor".

I don't know, I'm inclined to trust doctors, but this one seems a bit wrong.

Edit: Even the wikipedia page on the copper IUD doesn't mention general anesthetic at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 15, 2011

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Unless she has some specific medical condition, there's no reason she should need a general.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

2tomorrow posted:

My depression is coming back and I'm not really having sex with my guy right now so I'd like to hear about this.

mandolin1013 at yahoo got com

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Probably a dumb question, but here goes...

I had to take plan B a week a half back. Like the last time I took it, my following period started with a couple of days of spotting before the actual regular flow. For instance, I started lightly spotting last Friday and Monday the whole thing started regularly (cramps, pain, flow, and all that jazz).

So, when did my cycle actually start? Was it Friday or Monday? I'm not regular, so counting back doesn't really help :ohdear:

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Lanthanum posted:

e: I went to Planned Parenthood about my implanon making me bleed for almost 3 months straight, and they told me wait it out for another month. I know my hair has been falling out like no other, so should i wait the month like they said or make another appt asap? I'm sick of bleeding!!!

I'm looking into nuvaring to go on instead of implanon, I like how it is inserted every 4 weeks, the low hormone dose, and i dont have to take pills! Any other pros and cons I should worry about?

heeeelp

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Lanthanum posted:

heeeelp

Might just be a me thing, but it didn't want to stay up there last week. After about half a dozen times putting it back, it finally stuck. That's all I've noticed as far as cons :shobon:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AlphaDog posted:

My girlfriend just got back from her doctor after having her implanon removed (she was convinced it was affecting her mood pretty badly, she's bipolar and has been pretty loving down ever since having it implanted). The doctor told her that the effect of implanon on mood was "only theoretical", so removal might not help. I'm not sure about that, but it sounds like alot of people have mood problems with hormonal BC.

The next thing that happened was she asked the doc about a copper IUD. The doc's response was along the lines of "it could easily be much worse period/pain wise, and you'll have to go under general anesthetic to get it inserted". I'd never heard of general being necessary to insert in IUD, so I googled a bit, and every result seemed to be people saying "my doctor said I'd need general" and everyone else saying "bullshit, get a new doctor".

I don't know, I'm inclined to trust doctors, but this one seems a bit wrong.

Edit: Even the wikipedia page on the copper IUD doesn't mention general anesthetic at all.

I just got my copper IUD (paragard) in the last November. They ask you to take 2 aspirin an hour before coming in. Other than that there are no painkillers. The doctor will dilate the cervix using progressively larger rods and then insert the IUD. Then its all over. The dr. will cut the strings to about an inch long and then probably cut them slightly shorter based on your preference at the follow up appointment. It took 4 months for my periods to go completely back to normal and as someone who has wicked bad depression this is a god send, the hormones in my bc were really exaggerating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Lanthanum posted:

heeeelp

Mine popped out sometimes during sex, but since you can leave it out for up to three hours it wasn't an issue. I found that it softened up over the month and was more likely to fall out towards the end, but again, just shove it back in there. As far as hormonal birth control goes, it probably affected my mood/sex drive the least.

As for copper IUDs, when I got mine put in I was given a cervical softening medication the appointment before. This is because they were unable to get the IUD inserted on the first try and I was about to puke/pass out from the weird feelings (not pain, per say). I took it the night before the procedure and the next day the IUD went in with no pain whatsoever.

My current GP and I wanted to try mirena, but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover it. (They cover everything else!!! BAH!) So I have to go check out PP soon. But my doctor did give me the cervical softening medicine so I don't have to go through that again.

Let it be known that I'm 24, no kids, so this is probably the reason they couldn't get it in.

• Locked thread